The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

I don't understand the double standard with killer powers and hooks.

I was playing with a mate recently and something dawned on me.

Why is it that Killer like Knight and Skull Merchant have some form of Inability to use their power whilst near hooked survivors.

Obviously Knight has the penalty if you touch a hook when a guard is near by the guard is automatically de summoned.

And Skull Merchant just simply isn't allowed to place drones near hooked survivors.

And yet Bubba (Using him simply cause he was what sparked the thought) can plant himself in front of the hook and guarantee a kill with 100% Success rate.

Don't get me wrong this isn't a rage post or anything I just don't understand the disconnect and double standard that behaviour have created.

Comments

• Severing
    Severing Member Posts: 30
    edited April 2023

I think the answer would be that Bubba is just much older. Another potential answer is that his power does not work by placing down something that passively denies an area; if Bubba is not actively there revving the chainsaw nothing happens. Though since Skull Merchant cannot do much without being in the vicinity either, the former is more likely.

Aside from this question, any killer can often guarantee a kill by camping even without an instadown, Bubba is simply more effective. I believe part of the reason you do not see as much hard face-camping with other killers is because the people who would do this will choose Bubba due to his inherent advantage.

Quite frankly, I wish the restrictions for placing/using powers near a hook would be gone entirely and that this issue be attacked at its core: the hook itself. Pyramid's head's cages are a far better solution in my view, both for the survivor and the killer.

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333

Killers with active lethal powers camping a hook still encourage a sort of player to player interaction. It takes conscious effort no matter how small to deny you access to the hook. Drones, guards, torment trails and the like just end up being passively unavoidable.

• m4x1m_000
    m4x1m_000 Member Posts: 103

It feels like they're trying to discourage camping if the killer's design allows it. I don't think they can do anything with Bubba's ability. Even if they limit him to start the saw within a certain radius of the hook, he will still be able to camp. You will unhook but with the same result if he was near. But this makes him a unique killer, isn’t it cool? I love facecamp Bubbas, especially if they hit me on hook. They’re funny to me.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

his power does not work by placing down something that passively denies an area.

There's the answer.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,699

Because Bubba is too old.

They’ve started doing this with newer killers but haven’t really gone back and changed the older ones to be the same way. Twins, Artist, Dredge, Knight, and Skull Merchant all have power limitations that reduce their camping potential. And all of them have been released in the last 2.5 years.

• Trollinmon
    Trollinmon Member Posts: 690

Think the entire problem with Bubba is the fact he can down multiple players at once. Do you think Billy is as strong of a camper as Bubba? Even if Billy camps, you can still send multiple players to trade but with Bubba you're just dead.

• DBDVulture
    DBDVulture Member Posts: 2,437

You want to know the real insult to injury?

Leatherface has zero collision with hook poles. Just imagine if that were not the case : you could play ring around the rosie and his power would be almost useless if you looped around hooks.

It would make the killer a lot less stupid to play against while at the same time make every chase just a little more difficult because free standing hooks would prevent you from being able to use your chainsaw.