If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Are the gens the obsession?

Options
whickedchainsaw
whickedchainsaw Member Posts: 107
edited June 2023 in General Discussions

If not then why are survivors so obsessed with doing generators? 1-2 hooks and gg 3 or 4 man escaped.. no fun no chase just boring pressing repair button and press a button a few times to hit skillchecks thats it. they have toggle repair they dont even have to hold the repair button. how can you not get bored?

Comments

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,734
    Options

Totems are a secondary objective?

I mean noed isn’t really ran that much anymore and the only hex I see used anymore is devour hope

• ElodieSimp
    ElodieSimp Member Posts: 353
    Options

Pretty much, no use doing so, especially with Play Thing. Why bother when you know the outcome. Just do gens. It's how DBD devs want us to play anyhow.

• Veroles
    Veroles Member Posts: 868
    Options

Only thing what comes in mind is cleansing dull totems for Inner Healing. Maybe they should make it basekit😂.

• solarjin1
    solarjin1 Member Posts: 1,719
    Options

survivors was more likely to bullshit around in the pass because they had infinite healing and dh. Simply can't afford to these days but yeah it super boring to go against.

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,049
    Options

Survivors's objective is to fix and escape. You're supposed to prevent it and you didn't complete your objective.

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611
    Options

Repairing gens is literally the survivors objective. What else do you want them to do?

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 5,993
    Options

why would i waste my time on chests just to get a crappy toolbox, map or green key

and unless its a hex totems are not really worth doing, especially now that noed has an aura in endgame

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,648
    Options

This meta was already is play when Dead Hard existed. People were already pumping gens as fast as they could because it’s what you should be doing. Dead Had nerf had nothing to do with it.

You are right that the medkits nerfs did impact this though because now people bring toolbox/BNP and stay injured for Adrenaline so you have more time on gens. If Dead Hard was still in its pre-nerf form, this meta would be stronger because the risk of staying injured with Adrenaline would just be removed.

Both the med kit nerf and Dead Hard nerf were 100% justified and even if gens go a slight bit faster the game is much more balanced than it was previously. Same goes for the regression nerfs.

As for chests and totems, you should be on a gen whenever you can. Theres nothing else to do. Chests are Totems are a waste of time, especially since you can bring your own item and no one runs Hex perks anymore.

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,285
    Options

Specifically, "As for chests and totems, you should be on a gen whenever you can. Theres nothing else to do. Chests are Totems are a waste of time, especially since you can bring your own item and no one runs Hex perks anymore."

I agree. But I'd like to touch on each point.

Gens and nothing else to do. Yes, this is true if you really wanna push your chances of 'winning.' And to me, thats the sad fact. If I don't want to only do gens, Im hampering my team. If I want to get chased, maybe cleanse a totem or two, etc, then again, Im hampering my team. This is the design BHVR is aiming for?

Tomes are the only reason to touch a totem/anything not a gen. So, it just makes me a lil sad.

Chests are especially a waste of time. Yet i see people bolting to the basement to get that chest asap. Its incerdible. Mostly SoloQ mind you.

Finally.. hex perks. Now, this is the one I disagree with. Hexes are everywhere for me as surv. My main uses hexes primarily to a great effect usually. But this is just my experience, so it will vary. Interesting though, gens really are all survs really need to be doing. How... fun.

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,134
    Options

this why I feel noed should be basekit, didn't do all totems? oh well good luck getting out.

• AbsolutGrndZer0
    AbsolutGrndZer0 Member Posts: 1,222
    Options

I run 4 Hexes on Huntress and quite often get a 4K. Sometimes I even have survivors just give up. Devour Hope isn't one of them (and neither is NOED for the record.)

• EmmaFrostyEyes
    EmmaFrostyEyes Member Posts: 685
    Options
  • Monlyth
    Monlyth Member Posts: 977
    Options

Survivors were cranking out gens like crazy before the DH/Healing nerf and they'll keep doing it after.

The real problem here, which existed long before either of those changes, is that the timing of the first down is critical, often setting the pace for the whole rest of the match. (This is one reason why Nurse and Blight are top-tier). Once someone goes down, Survivors go from having 3 people on gens at minimum to having just one. And if the Killer keeps getting downs in a timely manner, Survivors continue to have just one person on gens. But if Survivors ever get the breathing room to heal up and get back on gens, they will fly by with startling speed.

The issue with this is that it places enormous pressure on the Killer to end the first chase, and every subsequent chase, as fast as humanly possible. Or to fight dirty and nab free hits or get someone out of the game as fast as possible. A small mistake (For example, being just a little too slow on a swing into a window vault) can immediately put you far behind schedule.

Gens can realistically be finished in as little as 3 1/2 minutes or as long as 8 minutes with all 4 Survivors alive, so even a small slip-up can mean that there just isn't enough time to chase everyone, so every Killer is stressed out of their minds trying to beat the clock.

So... yeah. Is it any wonder that Killers are running builds like this all the time?

• Riski
    Riski Member Posts: 204
    Options

If I could give my input for what makes survivor fun is the careful balance of gens with interactions. Generators by themselves aren't interesting but when you have to balance doing them with healing, alturism and side objectives it becomes difficult. Chases aren't just about wasting time but taking the killer away from your teammates and objectives and going to save a teammates is a careful act which sometimes isn't worth it. That is to say what makes gens fun is the game around them and the other demmands that are thrown at you as survivor.

What makes the killer interaction fun for me is the fact that they take me off the things I and my team need to do and an interaction going well for a killer potentially creates other demands for us to do and the literial pressure of having multiple things to do. Now if the killer doesn't create this pressure, if they fail to get hits or down then it isn't fun. The chases lose tension because we're not losing and gens become less interesting because nothing is making them difficult to do. Yes doing gens for 4 minutes isn't fun but I'd have more fun getting on with it and moving on to the next match than premeptively deciding we've won and faffing about for 10 minutes with chases that ultimately don't mean anything. Player interaction is fun when there are stakes at hand and the microgame loses stakes when you have to intentionally throw to make it happen.

• BlueHorkew
    BlueHorkew Member Posts: 1,079
    Options

What do you expect from survivors?

It's the only way to win, why are you mad for survivors to do their objective.

Its like getting mad for killers for killing survivors.

Also, its the only part of the game survivors have control, every other playstyle isn't reliable.

• NerfDHalready
    NerfDHalready Member Posts: 1,373
    Options

i rarely see survivors start to chill out in matches i am getting destroyed. it becomes fun obviously, i realize i am being spared a stomp so i give what they want; get some hooks and give some chases so it becomes a semi-farm game. but understandably solo q survivors don't do that on a regular basis since they can easily get 4k'd by noed or the killer could simply decide to camp.

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,134
    Options

what your point? survivors do get mad at killers for killing survivors....

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,067
    Options

"how can you not get bored" --- well, I suppose that's where the killer chasing squads come from who make it their mission that the killer doesn't get to pick up anyone without them getting saved right away. A lot of people call these people bullies.

On a more serious note: I can't tell if you're actually serious? What do you expect survivors to do? (assuming that you agree that people only do stuff in game that in some shape or form benefits them and/or is fun to them)

• I_am_Negan
    I_am_Negan Member Posts: 3,756
    Options

It's their job🤣 to get gens done as fast as they can

Are they to go to the other side of the map so you can get free gen kicks in😂

What are they supposed to do?

Wait this sounds like what a killer main would say😂

• TerraEsram
    TerraEsram Member Posts: 500
    Options

I'm going to avoid telling you what everyone here is busy explaining why is the main objective for the survivor, but I'm going to say this instead

I agree with you on one point... I'm pretty sure if the survivors weren't going to make generators, but rather try to survive for a certain amount of time, or flee from a place like a labyrinth, or any other "gameplay" that is closer to the "survival" side of horror movies... It would be much more fun for everyone

• MrPsych
    MrPsych Member Posts: 265
    Options

If you don't want survivors to repair generators quickly, chase survivors off the gens. Injure them and make their prospect of repairing a generator more risky. Don't chase survivors that are leading you nowhere until the end of time.

If generators are done fast, it means you have failed as a killer. Don't be a pushover.

• BlueHorkew
    BlueHorkew Member Posts: 1,079
    Options

I just think it's dumb to get mad at the other side for playing the game.

Survivors cannot win unless you do the gens. So why should someone be mad that survivors are doing gens. Killers need to chase survivors to kill them, so why should a sirvivor be mad that the killer is chasing him.

It's just stupid. They are just playing the game.

• KidDope25
    KidDope25 Member Posts: 112
    Options

Why are killers obsessed with survivors? No fun in chase, just boring kill, kill, kill. Stop doing your objective and let’s have some fun s/