If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

DBD, the game we all know and… love?

Options
Mockingjay_S451
Mockingjay_S451 Member Posts: 393
edited June 2023 in General Discussions

Haven’t played in a couple of months, needed a break. Thought okay, new chapter today, I’ll play some games to get some BPs for the new survivor.

Such interactive gameplay bleeding out on the ground for 4 minutes because they are scared they won’t get me to a hook.

Post edited by Mockingjay_S451 on

Comments

• Mockingjay_S451
    Options

Exactly this. They didn’t even try to pick me up. There is no way I escape here. They were slugging people the whole match to try to get a down while somebody else was slugged. We still managed all 5 gens and me and a Claudette are caught at end game. He hooked her, I went for the door. He downs me and just leaves me. There were plenty of hooks around and he never tried to pick me up. I wouldn’t have wiggled as there is no escaping really.

• Mockingjay_S451
    Options

I never ran to a location they couldn’t hook me. They downed me at the door and left me. They never tried to pick me up and there were plenty of hooks as he took most of the others to basement. So, don’t assume I didn’t “just let them hook you”, they never tried. He stood over me and twirled in circles then started hitting the air.

And we were all going in for the save on the 2nd photo. I do know how to play the game, and know how to do gens. But I had just got off one to go running in as everybody else was crouching walking and I didn’t think they would make it in time, I was willing to trade.

• AssortedSorting
    AssortedSorting Member Posts: 954
    Options

So base-kit cypress and edge-case self-pickup wouldn’t have made the game flow better?

• Veroles
    Veroles Member Posts: 868
    Options

Not even sure they are scared. I think some people do that as compensation for something, what ever it is. At least when they act like that even when there is no game based reason not doing it.

• Mockingjay_S451
    Options

Very true! And I guess I should count myself lucky that he wasn’t imitating sexual assault on my character’s body while I was on the ground.

• Sharby
    Sharby Member Posts: 498
    Options

The killer doesn't know that.

If they're going for an achievement or challenge that requires a 4k. They'll definitely be super sure of it considering how hard getting a 4k can be sometimes. I know I would.

That being said this person probably just being a sore winner.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 8,850
    Options

The killer has no way to know if you won't wiggle in these situations. Safe bet is to just slug unless the slug survivor crawls themselves to a hook.

It sucks, but you can't really blame the killer in situations where getting a survivor to a hook seems unlikely. At least this is a problem the devs are looking at trying to solve with the basekit mori.

• Evan_
    Evan_ Member Posts: 527
    Options

And yet when I hit play, I get four survivors. Are you sure the entire role is dead and it's not just you who failed to adapt?

Sorry about the forum, we'll go back to reddit once the api protest is over. :P

• NerfDHalready
    NerfDHalready Member Posts: 1,373
    Options

hopefully one day they add an option to suicide on the ground after you are left for too long

• CorvusCorax86
    CorvusCorax86 Member Posts: 1,057
    Options

He is far from opening the exit gate - only one bulb is turned on. The only "danger" here is the hatch but the killer could survey the immediate area and close it if found. The screenshot confirms it was an unnecessary slugging.

• illNicola
    illNicola Member Posts: 482
    Options

Why would the killer risk letting you escape? He was right to slug you, I would have done it too if I didn't have hooks nearby. Just today I did it, since bad luck wants all the hooks I had were on the opposite side of the map, the exit was almost open and, rightly so, the surv wriggled when I picked him up, so since I wanted the 4/4 I left him to die on the ground and watched him to avoid unbreakable. If he wanted to avoid waiting 4 minutes he didn't wriggle out, why should I let him get away for free?

When a killer leaves all 4 survs on the ground for no reason, I agree it's annoying, but here he did well since he risked 4/4, now explain to me why he should have risked letting you escape.

Question, do you play soloq or swf? Out of curiosity, because if you play swf you could easily organize yourself to save. Second, do you realize you were all pretty close to the hook? Was the killer supposed to leave and leave a sign that read "Please save, I'll wait in the corner"? Also, from the silhouette it shows that an Artist is the killer, so the Artist can ONLY defend the hook of m1, since she cannot spawn crows in like 15 meters near the hooked surv. Again, what was the killer to do here? Leave the hook so you can save the surv without problems? Or rightly defends the hook? It's the same speech as before, why should the killer make life easy for you?

• MimiDBD
    MimiDBD Member Posts: 302
    Options

A screen shot does not tell me enough to make a judgement here. If everything you say is true (sorry I don't auto believe people) then I am sorry you had a bad experience. Players are d-bags on both sides mostly for no apparent reason.

"you can't survive without playing as a team"

You shouldn't be able too.

• Nebula
    Nebula Member Posts: 1,392
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Post edited by Nebula on
  • Nebula
    Options

The hatch is closed and the gate is at one bar, there’s a zero percent chance the dude escapes. People need to ego check themselves and realize that wasting 4 minutes of your and other peoples time is not worth that 4k that means so much to them.

• Crowman
    Options

Whether or not the survivor in this situation or any other situation was not likely to escape, the killer has no ability to know if the survivor isn't going to try to wiggle out and continue to run them. In the end, you might save more time just letting the survivor bleed out then extending the game because you knew there was no way to make it to a hook without the survivor wiggling out.

• mikewelk
    mikewelk Member Posts: 1,669
    Options

How are people actively trying to defend this behavior. The exit gate is barely powered up lmao. If you are THAT desperate for a 4K then go close hatch and then pick the survivor up.

• solarjin1
    solarjin1 Member Posts: 1,719
    Options

Seen this poster say this a few different times. Which is baffling! because i also seen them complaining about killer related issues and wonder why they don't just play solo q survivor (you know since playing the opposite side is the answer to the problems apparently?)

• Nebula
    Options
    1. That’s not how it works, “be the difference you want to see” does not work in a game with thousands and thousands of players. I play for hooks as killer, doesn’t mean that over half my games as survivor doesn’t have hardcore camping, tunneling, or slugging.
    2. Why should he have to stop playing the role he enjoys just because some people have ego problems and can’t lose their precious 4k
    3. Survivor and killer may as well be different games. They require entirely different skill sets and some people want to just sit back and play the game in the role they want to. Survivor is a much more relaxed experience compared to killer, a lot of people enjoy that.
  • fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762
    Options

You can't know anything, really.

If there is a chance you better choose safer way.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,896
    Options

Oh well its 4 mins of 1 game move on already.

• pseudechis
    Options

How is the killer to know you won't struggle? Telepathy is a rather under developed trait yet somehow we frequently expect others to possess and apply it.

I've gotten out in that scenario and I've lost a last kill in that scenario too, so while improbable its not impossible. Play till the bitter end is my moto.

• Nebula
    Options

Is the 4k really worth wasting 4 minutes of your and other peoples time? If it’s for a challenge I get it, but if not than just move on.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options
    1. Thats like saying voting doesn´t work, because there are to many people with different opinions.
    2. If you only play half of a game, then that actually sounds like a ego problem.
    3. Thats why people should play both roles in order to gain empathy towards the other role.
  • Nebula
    Options

An ego problem for people that prefer to play survivor over killer?? You’ve completely lost me.

I play both sides and still have zero empathy for people who make you sit through 4 minute bleed outs or camp at 5 gens, was I supposed to be enlightened by playing killer on why these are “valid strategies” and not just a huge waste of time for everybody involved?

• Crowman
    Options

This is under the assumption that the survivor won't wiggle if there are no nearby hooks.

Not many killers want to deal with survivors that force wiggle outs despite being the last survivor left and make it as difficult as possible to hook them despite them already having lost. A 4 minute slug is just the better option when there's no immediate hook in the area.

And if I've gotten to the point where I have a 4K and the last survivor wants to make it difficult for the final hook, then I will let them bleed out. I've earned that 4K and waiting 4 minutes where I can check my messages or browse the forums is nothing.

• pseudechis
    Options
  • pseudechis
    Options

Or not pick you up in the first place, either works... hang on that's what everyone is moaning about???

• Nebula
    Options

No, people are tired of having to wait 4 minutes to bleed out at the end of every other game. Just let me go next, stop wasting everyone’s time.

• Nebula
    Options

And it shouldn’t be. It’s awful game design to allow your players to be at the mercy of having to wait 4 minutes to go to the next game.

• robrob909
    robrob909 Member Posts: 79
    Options

New chapter sucks just like the last one. Mmr sucks still no changes made. Solo queue sucks more then ever. Yea you made a mistake coming back lol

• Phantom_
    Phantom_ Member Posts: 1,187
    Options

Gotta love how half of the replies are just people assuming hypothetical and 100% made-up scenarios, and seeing everything just from their perspective.

As if you could've opened the door after stunning the killer for 3 seconds lmao. Give me a break. They could have carried you/hooked you, or gotten stunned and then downed you anyways. But they chose to sweat REALLY HARD for that 4K. Some people's mindset is just sad, and that's sadly the majority of this "community".

• pseudechis
    Options

This is often my point, you see post after post that just imagines the worst of any game interaction.

It typically reads as very assumptive, un-objective and often emotional rather than rational.

Rather than just playing out games and moving on people seem hell bent on attacking the character of anyone whom might do anything in game that they don't like.

• pseudechis
    Options

Why shouldn't it?

You do realize that the entire premise of the game is to either impose (as killer) or avoid (as survivor) non-participation in various forms.

The loss of agency is a core part of DBD, and a core part of the visceral slasher genre that DBD is trying to emulate.

If people want to discuss options/mechanics to lessen the wait especially when the game is clearly over etc then lets do it, great... but that's clearly not the topic of this thread.

This topic seems to be more about player motivation and is rife with assumptions about just that.

• pseudechis
    Options

"That's how I want to play", that's exactly it. There is nothing wrong with that.

Kinda funny we are making the same point from different angles.

What you describe as excuses are just people rationalizing why they would choose not to hook in that scenario over just "I want to bleed you out" as the only motivator. Some of the points are quite reasonable.

What isn't reasonable is "I assume your motivation is this" which is what a lot of posts here are doing.

• Nebula
    Options

DbD is a party game first and foremost, always has been, always will be. As much as people try to make it competitive it never will be simply due to the nature of the game.

Loss of agency should not equate to getting bled out for 4 minutes straight or getting taken out of the match within 2 minutes of it starting with your only option being to DC and eat the penalty. This is fundamentally bad game design and the reason a majority of people leave the game.

People will always optimize the fun out of games and this goes for both sides. Players 100% share the blame in scenarios like these and deserve to be a part of the discussion.

• pseudechis
    Options

I'm not tired of it and I'm sure there are others who aren't either. Don't over estimate the point, the term people is a lil too all inclusive and implies a greater level of agreement than their really is. People often overestimate how many others agree with their personal view, it helps us rationalize our own perspective.

The end of every other game... really? Every other game, that's a lil hyperbolic, don't over estimate the frequency it doesn't serve the point, I can count on one hand how many times I'm left to bleed out at end game from most gaming sessions and is usually due to me being in some far off corner away from a viable hook which makes it a pretty reasonable play by the killer.

Lastly you are still in play while bleeding out, so we can talk mechanics to lessen the timer in the specific scenario where you are just waiting to die at game end which is productive, but if gameplay is time wasting then maybe stop playing games and get whatever important thing you have to get done... done then you'll have enough time for gaming no matter what happens in game.

• pseudechis
    edited June 2023
    Options

I didn't read in the DBD tutorial the part about it being solely a party game. I like how you've defined the nature of the game for yourself and all other views are non existent. I guess everyone just has to agree with you on that eh?

New flash some people will play it competitively, some thematically, some casually all are just as legit as each other and may clash with your view of the game.

Getting bled out is actually a great example of loss of agency, you can't do much but crawl and bleed that's a pretty good example of loss of agency. If you take issue with the time it takes then great but as I said that's a different discussion to what's being discussed here.

DC isn't your only option, because well you bleed out after 4 mins, so that's a nonsense point that says more about your personal sense of impatience than the mechanic itself.

Its looking less and less like you are here for a discussion, based on your first point which basically says "there is one way to play DBD and it will never be anything but that."

Does that sound like a discussion to you? Sounds more like an echo chamber statement rather than a discussion point to me.

• EmmaFrostyEyes
    EmmaFrostyEyes Member Posts: 685
    Options

Yeah im sorry to hear you had a bad match. Hopefully we can actually get a bleed out option. Killers get their win (which is all they care about if they are doing stuff like that in the first place) and survivors get to go next and not have their time wasted

• Nebula
    Options

The devs have said on multiple accounts that DbD is a party game. It was created as such and it was the players that tried to change that. You have enough posts for me to know that you know that this game is not meant for competitive play. Also, saying you’re able to play the game when slugged for 4 minutes is hilarious. Wow, you can crawl like a snail as you wait for the inevitable.

Calling personal experiences false then backing up with your own personal experience is also anecdotal and proves nothing. I see hardcore slugging and camping in every other game, this is my experience, yours doesn’t change that. I’m not saying this happens to everybody but I see this frequently enough for it to become problematic.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options

and where did i say that?

Doesn´t matter what side someone plays. If he only plays 1 side, he plays only half of the game. Which IS an ego issue. The 4 minute situation could be prevented if more people played both sides.

Or bad manners in general. Because people that only play 1 side are surprisingly toxic towards the other side and don´t spend a second thinking why the other side does what they do.