The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Rank Resets are Hurting the Game

Honestly, this is one of the worst changes that game has had in recent years. I'll try to be as nice as possible, I do appreciate the devs trying, but for real, Dead by Daylight has two VERY distinct levels of players. Try hards that grind hours and hours into finding the best loops, perks, builds and exploits to master every single inch of the game to the point they complain its boring, and casual players that are just trying to have fun.

Nothing against try hards, they can do their own thing, but throwing EVERYONE into one big mixing pot every single month is just making a HUGE toxic environment that honestly makes the game just flat unplayable for a few days or a week each month, that is if you for some reason don't enjoy bully squads and all out sweat fests.

I love this game, I've played it for years, but I'm just not on that try hard level. and I don't think players like me should be forced to deal with their hard and toxic playstyles. Match making is hard to do, but this little change might go a long way towards helping to balance the game.

When the 13th rolls around, dish out rewards but only reset pplayers to level 4 of the tier their in. If they're at Gold 2, you go to Gold 4. If you're at Iridescent 1, you go to Iridescent 4. Easy. If you don't have pips, or if you're at level 4, you go down to level 1 of the previous tier.

That honestly would go so far in keeping things balanced. The try hards can stay in their top tiers, the casual players can hang out in the lower tiers, and it even makes it more possible for lower tier players to learn adn eventually build up to Iridescent tier. You have to earn your way there, but its possible to with enough effort. I've been playing the game since right after Legion was released, and I've NEVER once gotten to Iridescent rank as a survivor, or the equivalent in the old ranking system, and I'm just not motivated to try when it's reset back to zero every month. I'm just not gonna play survivor enough (or good enough) to grind up to Iridescent in a month.

It would be a simple, but very beneficial change to the health of the game. Is it going to completely fix toxic players and unbalanced match making? No. But it's a start and would really incentivize players to try and put in the effort to eventually work their way up the tiers while also keeping the try hards and casuals separate to tone down on Killers getting demolished by bully squads and Survivors being steamrolled by hardcore killer mains.

And it would negate the need to just stop playing the game every 13th. Cause right now it's just plain not fun, unless you're messing around with the bots.

Comments

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,492

I wish I could think like that but depipping mechanic ruins the game for me. I have to try hard lot to avoid it and just to get a pip on killer. Swf have made it manageable on survivor for me but in soloQ trying to pip up in gold or iri sucks.

• Ariel_Starshine
    Ariel_Starshine Member Posts: 937

Yeah this sounds nice :) I enjoy easy going games, the folks who take it very seriously make me turn it off for a while.

Maybe something like this, an entirely new system is needed? I seem to be in the very try hard ranks and am stuck there. :(

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,197
    edited July 2023

Getting to iri gets you an additional million BP. You can do that into about 10-15 games, or if there's an even on, 4 games.

I don't try to pip at all, I forget the system even exists most of the time, and I still reach gold each month. That's plenty enough.

• nars
    nars Member Posts: 1,124

DBD matchmakes based on MMR not rank. The rank doesnt mean anything beyond showing how long you've played since month. Sure you'll get some worse players since all newbies start in ash but unless you stay in ash all month it wont be consistent.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,197
    edited July 2023

Hard disagree.

My experience with rank based matchmaking, was that each month I would cimb to purple ranks, which is within the 6 rank range of rank 1. As rank 1s can only be matched down, every game would be sweaty. I couldn't climb any higher, but I also couldn't lose rank without intentionally losing dozens of games in a row, because it was easy to safety pip, so I'd be stuck in purgatory.

Add to this the problem TC believes they're facing now, which they're not, but was very true back then, for about a week before reset everyone would be playing extra sweaty to climb as high as possible, followed by a week following reset when everyone would be mixed together and sweating to get back to where they were. 2 weeks each month where the game was miserable. 1 week following that in which I could play, until I reached purgatory again, meaning it was actually 3 weeks per month the game was miserable.

I used to have to take regular extended breaks to have any hope of enjoying myself. Nowadays the game is bliss in comparison, I can play whenever I want.

• ARTRA
    ARTRA Member Posts: 938

Ranks and mmr are 2 different things.

Monthly ranks are only for monthly rewards, and thats it literally no more.

MMR is hiden and is what determine your opponents. This does not reset. You gain 1 on kill lose 1 on scape. Survivors gain 1 on scape and lose 1 when killed.

• AtoTimber
    AtoTimber Member Posts: 84

I mean that's totally fair. When I mostly played though, I rarely would get red ranks on my team unless I was rank 1-4 as well. I used to try to park around rank 8 because that's where the games were chill but still challenging. I just think the matchmaking was still better then, because now I will get killers and survivors with like 40 hours playtime but also get players with 5000 hours (i have about 2k for reference). Matchmaking either way is hard for DBD I guess but at least the old ranks were simpler and we actually had transparency about it

• LeFennecFox
    LeFennecFox Member Posts: 1,233

Ranks/Grades do nothing now and they only ever meant you played a lot very bad system

• Anti051
    Anti051 Member Posts: 602

Ranks are not a thing anymore.

What you see in the top right of the screen is a grade and has nothing to do with whom you are matched against.

• 8peESC
    8peESC Member Posts: 17

I feel like MMR (and SBMM) is important, however I do see your point even if it is proven false.

this post would have been good prior to the massive change back then :kekw:

You actually made a lot of good points that proved against the old system as well. So that's pretty good overall.

however, MMR and SBMM does actually need a rework. because Who the HELL came up with the idea of the 1-p-p system? a point per every kill/escape/death/loss/win kind of scenario? Nah. That's completely psychotic. It's like a killer magically gets two AFK survs and ends up raising their MMR up two points and then get thrown into the Hadal zone essentially --

Something needs to be done and there should be an active conversation on how to best figure out what should be done from the community in order to find out what works and what doesn't. Let the pot boil for a bit, let the creative juices flow

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 5,392

I remember trying to stay in purple rank as long as I could because as soon as I hit gold, it was like I was playing a whole other game lmao I didn't even want to see a glimpse of red rank

• mizark3
    mizark3 Member Posts: 2,207

I would make the exact opposite argument. In order to pip, you have to play in a 'fun' or 'fair' manner. Killers have to go for multiple hooks, so camping/tunneling is disincentivized. Survivors have to be chased and heal allies, so hiding and ignoring healing is disincentivized. Both sides are getting their most common complaints addressed by attempting to pip. Survivors genrush? No pip. Killer facecamps? No pip.

• DaddyMyers_Mori
    DaddyMyers_Mori Member Posts: 2,205

Yeah, imagine playing full tryhards 60-70 games so you get reward equal of 10 games, just so you lose all your progress and can do it again. It's way more games for survivors...

I really don't like grades. I prefered ranks way more.

• JustAnotherNewbie
    JustAnotherNewbie Member Posts: 1,941

If anything, being to efficient can even make you de-pip.

• DaddyMyers_Mori
    DaddyMyers_Mori Member Posts: 2,205

That amount is not worth the effort, so wouldn't really miss it.

Overall match making simply made sure that regular players didn't play with new / after break players. Which was good enough for me.

• AtoTimber
    AtoTimber Member Posts: 84

purple ranks was definitely hte sweet spot, but tbh even 3 and 4 were fine. Ranks 1 and 2 were hella sweaty but bcuz it was ages ago it as actually fun. Lots of Billy, bcuz back then he was the 2nd best killer in the game lol. But even then I still think Ranks are a better mathcmaking system then MMR. If anything it at least ACTUALLY matches playtime together, instead of getitng 80 hr players in games with 5k hr grinders