The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Spine chill

Vesparu90
Vesparu90 Member Posts: 1
edited August 2023 in Bug Reporting

When killer is in 36 meter, spine chill spouse too activate,but doesn't do that. Is so weird. Sometimes the killer is nearly me and still not activate the spine chill. I hope I written correctly and I don't have pictures or videos to attach. I'm on ps5

Post edited by Mandy on
8 votes

Not a Bug · Last Updated

Comments

• Rizzo
    Rizzo Member, Administrator, Mod Posts: 17,669

Did the killer have a clear line of sight on you when they were staring at you?

• MrRetsej
    MrRetsej Member Posts: 59
    edited July 2023

Spine Chill never requires a line of sight to the killer for it to light up. It only turns red (after lighting up) when the killer has LoS. I've been using Spine Chill regularly since November. As of today (at least) it's not working correctly

I just faced a Blight while using Spine Chill. Throughout the match, no matter if I was in their terror radius, within direct LoS, or even while we were staring at eachother across a dropped pallet, Spine Chill wasn't turning on. The only time it turned on was after I was hooked, and even then it flashed on and off (and occasionally red) like it was freaking out. After the freak out/flashing, it turned off again and never turned back on.

[Edit] I was playing on PC, so this bug is not limited to console.

• MeyersEnthusiast
    MeyersEnthusiast Member Posts: 23

Yeah, I tried using it on a stealth build to know if the killer is nearby, which it's supposed to help with, but it just doesn't light up in the 36 meter range like the perk says it's supposed to. And if it's somehow supposed to not light up, then the devs have made spine chill completely worthless.

• rororoxor
    rororoxor Member Posts: 182
    edited July 2023

After the update it should only light up when the killer is within LoS, previous spine chill was pretty unfair for stealth killers as a survivor with the perk can just run to a pallet anytime the perk icon lights up, with no room for counterplay from the killer. I think it could use a buff elsewhere though

• Kenpo_Kid69
    Kenpo_Kid69 Member Posts: 11

I think what the bug reporting team is failing to realize is that Spine Chill has two abilities (previously it had 3). The visual terror radius got removed (and it shouldn't have) that allowed you to visually see how close the killer was to you. Hardly game breaking since there is also an option now to use a visual terror radius, should have stayed on Spine Chill, but its gone now, probably to simplify the perk.

Anyway that aside, Spine Chil is still supposed to have 2 abilities. Its supposed to notify you when the killer is within 36 meters of you, this ability is no longer working, even though its clearly on the patch notes and perk description. And now all Spine Chill actually does is give you a bonus when the killer is staring at you. Effectively making this a completely useless perk at the moment.

• MeyersEnthusiast
    edited July 2023

If you read the perk description and the patch notes, it pretty clearly says it "Get notified when the killer is within a 36 meter range." It's supposed to do that, and that ability of the perk never changed, it's just broken right now

Post edited by MeyersEnthusiast on
  • Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,655

You're reading the wrong description.... the current description is

"If the Killer is within 36 metres of your location and looking at you with a clear line of sightSpine Chill activates"

• Kenpo_Kid69

I'll try and explain this again, using the in-game perk descriptions -

This is how the current Spine Chill reads.....

An unnatural tingle warns of you impending doom. Get notified when the killer is within a 36 meter range. If the killer is within range and is looking at you with a clear line of sight, your speed while repairing, sabatoging, healing, unhooking, cleansing, blessing, opening exit gates and unlocking is increased by 6%. The effects of spine chill linger for 0.5 seconds after the killer looks away or is out of range.

As you can see by the description it has two different abilities.....1) Get notified when the killer is within a 36 meter range. And 2) If the killer is within range and is looking at you with a clear line of sight, your speed you basically get 6% added to most of your survivor actions.

What was actually supposed to be removed was this.....If there is a Terror Radius present, Spine Chill will reveal its intensity using its icon.

The problem is the devs or bug reporting team or whoever, seems to be confusing the two abilities. They are confusing the Whispers portion of the perk where it would light up with the visual terror radius ability. They are not the same. Visual terror radius would show you the proximity of the killer if they had a audible terror radius, the whispers portion would just light up when the killer was within the 36 meters, whether the killer had a terror radius or not. The visual terror radius is what was intended to be removed not the whispers portion of the perk. Its basically useless now unless it get fixed, put back the way it was (with or without the visual terror radius).

• Coffeecrashing

The perk description is incorrect then. The meta perk shakeup changed the perk to only work in line of sight, and it got the "visual terror radius" portion added due to accessibility concerns. The perk should have gone back to the original meta perk shakeup version.

And you can read that version at https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/kb/articles/337-developer-update-june-2022

"Spine Chill will now only activate if the Killer has a clear line of sight to the Survivor. This will remove the awkward counterplay where the Killer must look away to ensure a stealthy approach."

• Kenpo_Kid69

@Coffeecrashing That's referring to the speed bonuses activating. Spine Chill still warns you (or did anyway) if a killer is within 36 meters of your position. Also that's very old patch notes. Here are the current patch notes on Spine Chill. Patch notes 7.1.0 Nicolas Cage......

https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/kb/articles/400-7-1-0-nicolas-cage

• Spine Chill:
    • Get notified when the Killer within a 36-meter range. If the Killer is within range and is looking at you with a clear line of sight, your speed while repairing, sabotaging, healing, unhooking, cleansing, blessing, opening exit gates and unlocking is increased by 2%/4%/6%. The effects of Spine Chill linger for 0.5 seconds after the Killer looks away or is out of range.

• Coffeecrashing

Those old patch notes should be the intended version. Spine Chill only got a temporary buff for accessibility reasons. BHVR shouldn't be buffing the perk beyond what it was supposed to be before the temporary buff.

Besides, those new patch notes just could be badly worded. It doesn't make sense for the current spine chill to have even less counterplay than spine chill did before the meta shakeup. Killers used to be able to walk sideways to counter it.... and you want there to just be no counter at all? Perks that encourage survivors to pre-leave generators should all be removed from the game, because survivors pre-leaving generators is one of the biggest problems this game currently has.

• Kenpo_Kid69

What's the counter to Whispers? What's the counter to visual terror radius that any survivor can use? Plenty of things in the game that have no counters or no practical counters anyway.

Why rework a perk so that its literally useless for survivors? That also does not make sense and the patch notes and current perk description clearly show that the changes made were not intended. Keep in mind Coffee, even with the whispers, even with the visual terror radius as well, most streamers like Otz or Hens will tell you that Spine Chill is still not a great perk. Its a nice security blanket for survivors but without the vault bonus most of your really good players are not going to run it. Its hardly meta, in fact its not even banned in comp play to my knowledge and yet no one runs it. Hardly a canidate to nerf it into the ground as this patch has done. By mistake IMO, because two of the abilities are being confused as being the same, when they are completely different from one another.

• Coffeecrashing

Spine Chill was supposed to have gotten a huge nerf as part of the meta perk shakeup. And the devs made it clear that the perk was only getting a temporary buff for accessibility reasons, and afterwards it was supposed to go back to the original meta shakeup version.

And it's not a "nice security blanket". It's literally encouraging the most problematic survivor behavior in the entire game. Survivors are excessively pre-leaving generators, and demanding BHVR to fix 3-gens, even though the excessive pre-leaving generators is a huge part of the 3-gen problem.

• MeyersEnthusiast

"Well it doesn't say what I want it to say so it must be wrong 🤷🏻‍♀️"

• Coffeecrashing

That's what you're doing. The devs said it was only getting a temporary buff for accessibility purposes, and then it's supposed to go back to the original meta shakeup version.

You, on the other hand, want to sneak in a buff to the perk, even though that wasn't supposed to happen. The temporary buff wasn't intended to hide a secret buff along the way.

• Kenpo_Kid69

@Coffeecrashing Spine Chill helps stop the 3 gen problem, it doesn't encourage them. Same with Alert, Premonition, etc. Allows you to stay one step ahead of the killer when they work in solo queue. Spine Chill has never been the end all be all, its never been an issue in this game. You don't hear comp players complain about it, nor do you see it topping survivor lists or being called a meta perk. Once the vaulting bonus was removed those days were over. Also you say its so problematic and yet we have a visual terror radius now in the options that literally does what you claim was hurting the game.

Temporary buff was the visual terror radius, not the whispers. And it wasn't being removed for being too powerful, they just felt it was redundant for the player to have it twice.

• rororoxor
    rororoxor Member Posts: 182

While I agree spine chill should be buffed, it shouldn't be a free warning against stealth killers. Imo it should be buffed massively in terms of the numbers while keeping the line of sight theme. Something like, 200% action speed when in killer's line of sight.

For the record, Spine Chill/Premonition IS banned against stealth killer sets in DBD league, its actually really strong in swf. One person can station somewhere on the map and constantly feed their team info. It's like old object minus the aura reading but just as strong.

• Coffeecrashing
    edited July 2023

When survivors excessively pre-leave generators, that can create a 3-gen problem. I've had many games where the last 3 generators were far apart, but the survivors kept pre-leaving generators, so I wouldn't find anyone when I got there. And the survivors left so early, and stayed away for so long, that the generators weren't really getting done.

Survivors excessively pre-leaving generators is a major game issue. And we don't hear about it much because people just want to blame everything on killers. And yes, the visual terror radius is also partially causing the increase in 3-gen games. Even though the visual terror radius (in theory) gives the same amount of information as the audio terror radius, the fact is that it's way easier to notice the giant red icon, and start hiding when you see the icon, and stop hiding when the giant red icon goes away. And yes, some people are doing that, and it's causing 3-gen problems.

Post edited by Coffeecrashing on
  • Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,908

Please remember this section of the forum is not for discussion or feedback but for bug reporting.

This isn't a bug, for Spine Chill to activate now it needs a clear line of sight and the killer to be in a 36m range.

This discussion has been closed.