The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Why i play skull merchant

the_honey_badger
the_honey_badger Member Posts: 111
edited September 2023 in General Discussions

So talking about a killer that's incredibly controversial, I'll be honest and straight up. Yes I play her in a 3 gen defence way, to me there's no other way of playing her effectively. If you're playing a chase playstyle then you're effectively shooting yourself in the foot so to speak.

So I'm unfortunately one of those people who can't help but have somewhat of a competitive mindset. It's not that I don't mind loosing, I'd just much prefer a 3k and move onto next match. That to me is a win condition. Yes I know I could do that with nurse, spirit, other S tiers or even A tier killer's. But at time's when I mess up constantly, I feel like it just gets to me if that makes sense? It messes me up even more and I end up just being pretty unhappy playing the game, especially when people message me saying stuff like "gg ez killer". I don't mind messages but it get old after a while.

So why did i bring this stuff up? Now I love playing her because I find it just incredibly relaxing, now I'm not taking away the fact that it's incredibly boring or unfair to face, that's a whole other issue. But something about just listening to a podcast or some music while chilling and playing dbd feels nice. Yes I know the killer gets alot of backlash due to this playstyle, but I'm not doing it to be malicious or mean, or to even sour someone's mood. I like doing it because it's something I find relaxing to do and not having to stress or worry feels so good.

So if you've read this far, I do apologise for posting quite a lengthy post, I do understand how frustrating it is to see someone enjoy a playstyle that is widely despised, but I do hope by reading this you can see the point of the topic. While I can understand how it is to face something like this, I also hope you can understand the other side of the coin.

Thank you for reading this, I once again apologise for such a length post. <3

Post edited by EQWashu on

Comments

• the_honey_badger

I 100% agree, of course it's silly to expect people to be happy about facing certain thing's, but I think waging war against one another is even more sillier. So I think you're right!

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

... but man...

• the_honey_badger

Nah I enjoy dbd plenty, but I find chase to be fun too!

Please re-read, I said I find the SM style relaxing

• the_honey_badger

I 100% love dbd, I find the game super fun and engaging. But I also have to say that at times I like doing other things too, I enjoy the chase (I've been playing xeno almost non stop since release) so I definitely enjoy that aspect of the game.

But what I'm saying is, I enjoy also just relaxing and having a chill time. Again no offense taken, I get where you're coming from, but I find relaxing more on dbd is way more fun than an mmo

• Hermit
    Hermit Member Posts: 388

Don’t hate the player, hate the game.

BHVR knew exactly what they were doing when they released skull merchant.

• Hex_Ignored
    Hex_Ignored Member Posts: 1,845

They enjoy the easy wins you get with her. As you said, there is nothing to learn, but she is still quite "strong". Low skill floor killers with a high power level have always attracted people who just want to win without doing anything

• diegaster
    diegaster Member Posts: 55

It’s kinda fun how her difficulty to play in the game says “Hard” lol

• alpha5
    alpha5 Member Posts: 293

So, what's the point exactly? You want a game to snooze in which makes you choose SM. I want to play DbD so I just get out if I see it's SM.

• NerfDHalready
    NerfDHalready Member Posts: 1,723

how can you be both relaxed and competitive? how does playing "competitively" without putting the tiniest bit of effort feel like? does it satisfy you?

since you made this post for us to comment, i'll judge. you are just enjoying free wins with survivors giving up left and right.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904

You don't have to justify (or rationalize) to this community how or why you play.

Are you having fun?

If yes then great keep doing what you're doing.

Its only a game but you wouldn't know it the way people react to it.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904

I'll post a lil additional here just to counter all the negative Nancy's. To the OP if I come up against you as survivor I'll try and break the 3 gen as best I can and die trying if I have to. No hard feelings and GG"s all round.

Its better to burn out than to fade away!

• Archol123
    Archol123 Member Posts: 4,634

I have not heard Caitlyn 3Genner yet, but I'm totally gonna steal that phrase, that's a great one dude :D:D

• Deathslinger1of2
    Deathslinger1of2 Member Posts: 130

I’m glad you’ve found a way to make the game what it’s supposed to be: enjoyable. I don’t like facing it, but playing killer is stressful because survivors have the potential to bully any killer. It’s no fun to receive “gg ez killer” when you’re trying to have fun on any killer, especially when I play more casually.

• Emoba
    Emoba Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 514

At the end of the day, the only responsible for the utter mess that is Skull Merchant is Behaviour. It's absolutely baffling that nothing has been done half a year after her release.

• Majin151
    Majin151 Member Posts: 1,270

At least with a face camping bubba the match is progressing unlike a 3 genning skull merchant making progress grind to a halt for 30+ minutes

• JustAnotherNewbie
    JustAnotherNewbie Member Posts: 1,941

Delete this now!

It's taboo to say you're chilling while playing killer. Killer is supposed to be the only stressful and masochistic role.

Skull Merchant does not exist, it's just a recurring nightmare the DBD community is having.

• JustAnotherNewbie
    edited September 2023

Usually there's always a period of time where something like this happens in every competitive game out there, even pro players will take advantage of that. I don't understand why we're reprimanding a player who wants to win in the easiest way possible. Eruption meta was kind of similar and people couldn't even admit it was chill for them but they had to go all about "Actually this strategy has counterplay...just bring Empathy and you let go of the gen when they're about to go down".

In comparison this poster is much more honest, why should we be annoyed at them. This is all on BHVR. If the killer was cooler a lot more people would probably play her, she's considered "cringe" cause of her backstory so she has no general appeal imo.

When and if she gets reworked, they'll probably move to a different killer. Same thing that happens everytime an op killer is reworked (Nurse, Spirit). These people always exist in every kind of game. It's really silly to try to shame them out of playing strong characters.

• JustAnotherNewbie

You'd be surprised at how many killers would probably do the same if their main or another cool killer had the same strength and low skill floor. The only reason she's not more popular is cause she was handled very poorly in design and background.

• Archol123

Apparently in team fortress 2 in the custom games people just got kicked if they didn't play according to some pre set rules, a good system I would say.

I think the mentality should be if I was playing against my buddies what would I bring and how would I play... Because if you hold your friends hostage for an hour you would not have friends anymore and they would probably just leave and tell you do that stuff somewhere else. I mean yeah sure winning is great and all, but if you have to make everyone else miserable because of it that's just dumb.

• JustAnotherNewbie

What is this? A moral lesson?

Frankly he's not in the playground nor is he playing in a team. Killer is a solo activity. It's not his job to play in a way you like and vice versa, it's BHVR's job to ensure both parties are having fun. They created Skull Merchant and are currently doing nothing to address her. They're also doing nothing to address the frustration casual players experince being forced to play with sweaty Nurses, Blights, Skull Merchants and etc. instead of making two modes to pander to both crowds that have conflicting interest (one crowd wanting to chill and another to sweat).

• Archol123

He is still interacting with other people and that does not change just because it is not in person but over the internet. Some communities self regulate more than dbd...

• JustAnotherNewbie

Communities that self-regulate are usually tiny and sometimes die for it.

In fighting games there used to be a bunch of arbitrary rules people would set like no grabs or some OP move. I don't think they would have survived if the devs just let those communities self-regulate. Instead fighting games got both a grab button and the ability to break a grab as well as extensive combos (combos started as a bug btw).

The devs can very well help this game develop and become better than it currently is, moralizing over a video that adults play and comparing it to playground lessons is kind of silly. What's next we should bully and demean the weakest survivor/killer we come across because that's what happens in playgrounds?

You cannot be asking from people across the world to self-regulate according to your standards. Different places come up with different codes of honor. The people that post here aren't a hivemind and probably players from the US, EU and Asia differ a lot on their perception of what is ok and what isn't.

People who play competitive games play broken stuff like Skull Merchant all the time, even pro players do it. Are we supposed to punish OP that voiced something that is frowned upon here but might be more widespread than this forum has you believe? If you get this moralistic over a video game and a player you will probably never meet, then I don't know what to say to you.

You know who can regulate things? Well devs can, perhaps you should be asking them to implement changes you want and encourage your point of view instead making it harder and harder to tell if this game is competitive or a party game to begin with.

This discussion has been closed.