What's wrong with using shack pallet at 5 gens?

Options
MikaelaWantsYourBoon
MikaelaWantsYourBoon Member Posts: 6,564
edited September 2023 in General Discussions

I am just trying understand this logic.

I just played against Wesker, he found me early game with Lethal. I had to drop shack pallet for not take hit. And this ended with 3 gens chase.

But then my salty teammate (Yun Jin) and his duo (Haddie) throwed game because how i dare to dropped shack pallet that early? Boy, pallets are here to save you from hits? What's wrong with that?

We lost this game because they refused to unhook me. The only person (Ace) saved me was other solo and he had to hook trade. Even after that Wesker tunnelled me out. Other 2 just did gens but they died to NOED later (Karma i believe).

And i asked why they did not save me and the response: It was because i used shack pallet like baby noob survivor.

Can you please make me understand when is the time to use shack pallet? I am really curious

Comments

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon
    Options

I just hear his TR and the moment i saw him, he was next to pallet. It was take the hit or drop the pallet moment. I dropped pallet. And then he chased me for 3 gens straight. I did not even use so much pallets, only 3 ( shack pallet included ).

But i believe i made mistake , just don't drop it and give free hit to killer.

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 5,994
    Options

It's a very strong pallet, I can understand saving it for when the other ones have been used up. But if ur gonna go down why not use it.

Nothing wrong with that

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,849
    Options

Then those teammates were definitely petty for that. You pretty much won them the game but they’re too ungrateful I guess.

• MrPenguin
    MrPenguin Member Posts: 2,353
    Options

Yeah I never really understood it either. You drop the pallet when you need it. If you need it at 5 gens you need it at 5 gens.

Idk where this idea came from but I have heard it said a lot with no explanation given

• Vorahk08
    Vorahk08 Member Posts: 227
    edited September 2023
    Options

I think it comes from the belief that, since it's a "god pallet" people think the killer will respect it so they don't lose the chase, which is exactly why I never respect it.

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,082
    Options

Not wrong if it means you can make up for it extending chase enough long. In first chase this might be very good thing to do as it's when survivors are at their strongest. But if you go down in 10s after dropping it don't use it leave it to player who can get more value from it.

Normally I try to do 3 window vaults before using it. But if there is other pallet I can use I leave shack pallet up ofcourse. Usually im able to run wesker in shack too baiting him to vault window or vaulting it before he can get me with his power.

• Rogue11
    Rogue11 Member Posts: 1,295
    Options

I definitely wouldn't use it first chase, or while full health. The value the team can get from looping it multiple times throughout the game is worth more than losing a health state early. Health states are a renewable resource for survivors while strong pallets are not.

• NerfDHalready
    NerfDHalready Member Posts: 1,373
    Options

your 3 gen chase should've justified the shack pallet drop. though, not just shack pallet, survivors should save pallets and try to not create dead zones so solo teammates won't go there and die because there wasn't a single pallet in sight.

• ratcoffee
    ratcoffee Member Posts: 1,070
    Options

some people are just looking for an excuse to be toxic. i had someone leave me to die on first hook because "i led the killer to their gen." the killer had lost track of me a full 30 seconds before finding the gen in question.

shack pallet is a very strong resource, so a lot of people like to save it until later in the game when the killer is their strongest. in your case though it seems like you used it to maximum effectiveness

• Phantom_
    Phantom_ Member Posts: 1,188
    Options

This ^

Jokes aside though, shack pallet can be very strong in mid-to-late game scenarios. Especially when all other pallets have been dropped already. But to throw a game and grieve someone because of that is just childish. Unless you're injured and about to die, I wouldn't personally drop any pallet. But greed them for late-game. That's excluding scenarios against insta-downing killers like Michael/Ghosty etc.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,631
    Options

You didn't do anything wrong, they did. They massively overreacted. I personally don't use shack pallet early game, even if it means I'm gonna take a hit, but if others do then oh well. It's just a game.

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611
    edited September 2023
    Options

Shack is arguably the strongest structure/loop in the game regardless of the map, so usually you'd want to save it until later in the game.

However, just because it was used early is no reason to throw the entire game. In certain situations you have to use what you can to get away from the killers and they got 3 gens done regardless. Some survivors will find the pettiest of reasons to not save/help you during the match.

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,060
    edited September 2023
    Options

I only dropped if I'm being tunnel fast. My teammates can finished gens while i deal with the chases. Not sure why they threw as if you did the worst thing possible in the game.

• fussy
    fussy Member Posts: 1,164
    Options

This

Shack pallet could buy a lot of time to survivors in right hands, so i hate when someone drops it on 5 gens without actually looping shack or dying. In 95% cases i just prefer to take a hit.

That is also why i never respect shack pallet as killer. Sooner it gone, better for me.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,052
    Options

I understand your thought process, but you not taking an otherwise preventable hit at 5 gens means that you've already taken steps to solving the problem of someone being on death hook with 1 gen left. They can't be on death hook if the game is over because the killer didn't down anyone until 3 gens popped.

• SleepyLunatic
    SleepyLunatic Member Posts: 297
    Options

Tbh taling a hit is definitly smarter than dropping shack pallet MOST of the times.

still not a reason to act like your mates did.

• GroßusSchmiedus
    GroßusSchmiedus Member Posts: 456
    Options

Its often better to drop god pallets early if it means to you prevent Killers from getting an early down, the early game is the most important phase for the Killers so dropping a god pallet early can often lead to a win. You see in comp that survivors have no problems dropping them early in tournaments if it means that Killers get their first hook delayed by even just a bit.

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,274
    Options

Play how you want. Pallets are there to be used. If you need to drop it, drop it.

• Wampirita
    Wampirita Member Posts: 808
    Options

There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. If it's gonna save your chase, drop it. It's been marked as the heretic action by all the wannabe comp players.

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,323
    Options

People who say those things have low game IQ or have hit their learning limit. If its the latter... gods help them.

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,242
    edited September 2023
    Options

Who cares if shack pallet gets thrown down early - Most maps have equally strong pallets on them aside from shack pallet now. If a player gets chased at shack and get downed because the pallet wasn't there that's on them. Yeah it could be prevented in comms but that's every situation not just shack.

Like certain killers it's probably better to drop it early - Really depends on what killer your facing though.

• sonata93
    sonata93 Member Posts: 414
    Options

Take no note of them, you did nothing wrong.

Sure, there’s an “optimal” way to play shack pallet (loop it before dropping and usually towards the end of the match), but if it stopped you going down I don’t see the problem.

Some survivors see being sacrificed as the biggest L in their lives - same as some killers not getting a 4k. It’s really not that deep, don’t even humour these kind of players.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options

The biggest threat to survivors are other survivors. I stopped counting the matches were we could have managed a 3 or 4 man escape but someone threw the game and doomed everyone else.

Pallets are there to be used. It doesn´t matter if the pallet gets used to prolong a chase for 1 minute at the start of the match, or at the end of the match. The important thing is, that the rest of the team uses the time and doesn´t waste it.

• shalo
    shalo Member Posts: 1,492
    Options

The swf was probably never going to rescue you, the pallet is just an excuse.

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,323
    Options

Literally this.

"Some people just want to watch the fog burn." ~Alfred

• HugTechLover
    HugTechLover Member Posts: 2,482
    Options

I get that too, but I do not need to throw shack at 5 gens to get a 3 gen chase. I can take the hit and make distance to other tiles instead after looping the shack window until it blocks.

But generally the theme I see is people who are inexperienced at looping throw it immediately without attempting to loop the window, and go down soon after anyway. They are the same survivors who will drop a pallet RIGHT after getting hit instead of just saving it and using their distance to go to another tile. THAT is my biggest survivor pet peeve.

• totallynotamegmain
    totallynotamegmain Member Posts: 452
    edited September 2023
    Options

Because if as a survivor you are not as hyper efficient as possible you suck (people legit said this in end game chat but more vulgar)

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,127
    Options

It's because shack loop is one of the strongest ones on the map, if you're about to go down of course use shack pallet no matter the Gen count but the hate comes when people at full health drop the pallet without looping shack, of course you can play however you want they didn't buy your game but if another survivor is in a situation where they truly need it and it was wasted I understand why they would be frustrated over someone wasting a extremely strong pallet when you could've taken a hit and w key to safety easily and still had a strong loop there

• TheArbiter
    TheArbiter Member Posts: 2,223
    Options

Personally I wont drop shack pallet unless im going down, if it is between taking a hit or dropping the pallet i will always take the hit. Shack is too strong to waste if you can get injured and run to another loop, when later in the match someone on death hook could use it

• Moonras2
    Moonras2 Member Posts: 258
    Options

This describes it perfect. Had it not been dropped, the chase may have ended earlier and those 3 gens could've been interrupted instead.

I tend to be greedy with it, if I'm not injured it's a no drop. If I am injured I'd rather drop it and extend the chase, most of the time. It only really bothers me when MMR puts me with someone new and they are pre dropping pallets just from hearing the terror radius :( .

• NerfedFreddy
    NerfedFreddy Member Posts: 394
    edited September 2023
    Options

Because you make strong loop that can be used several times during the match and keep killer busy for long period of time weak.

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon
    Options

I mean i used only 3 pallets and looped killer for 3-gens.

I think i got enough value from the loops i used. Early game is the best time for putting pressure on killer by survivorside and i used this.

• thisislastyearsmodel
    thisislastyearsmodel Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 636
    edited September 2023
    Options

Some players live and die (metaphorically speaking) by shack pallet.

I once played a solo game against a Billy and dropped shack at 5 gens to save one of my teammates from being hooked basically right away. We played well and got 4 man out, and I thought that was it. [Edit for clarity: I pallet-saved him.]

Then, the person I saved with shack pallet started complaining that I "wasted" it so early... when I not only saved from being hooked but we then went on to escape the match.

Long and short of it is, most people have no idea what they're talking about and every opinion should be taken with a grain of salt.

• NerfedFreddy
    NerfedFreddy Member Posts: 394
    Options

The particular case of doing the wrong thing and avoiding bad consequences doesn't debunk the whole concept that doing that wrong thing generally lead to bad consequences

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,778
    Options

Ah, yes -- I am familiar with the post-match "I would have saved you, except you broke one of my super secret rules" chat. Maybe I'm weird, but I feel like it's not that hard to keep supporting your team even when they don't play exactly how you want.

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon
    Options

So i deserved to left die on hook just because i used pallet?

• mizark3
    mizark3 Member Posts: 1,783
    Options

Someone posted a 'baby Surv' move of a chased Nea running with a chased injured Meg, and the Nea took the outside of shack forcing the Meg to go inside. The Meg dropped the pallet and the Nea stared from the window and I wanna say had the "hello darkness my old friend" audio blasting over it. The problem was preventing early game pressure by dropping shack when the Nea refused to even bodyblock and help both of them delay the first hook was the best move. Dropping Shack is more often memed to be a bad move than people are willing to admit, but its a fun meme, and it means you aren't taking the game too seriously. Just goofing around is the best way (imo) to enjoy the game.

So don't drop shack unless you are a sweatlord /s.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,532
    Options

You saying it's a wrong thing does not make it a wrong thing.

Even if said with confidence.

There's no need to debunk a concept that isn't proven.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,069
    edited September 2023
    Options

You need to look at your health states and hook states as a resource you can spend. It might have been better for example to take the hit, speed boost away, and take the loop somewhere else, or use the speed boost to get on the other side of shack, then loop it 3 times THEN drop the pallet, for example.

As for hook states, you look at them as resources you can spend. When nobody has been hooked or injured, the pallet is probably more valuable. Better to "spend" your health state or your hook state resource and save the more powerful one for later. Especially since a dropped shack pallet after gates are open can trap a killer inside of shack and basically give everyone a free escape at that point. Or doing the same to force the killer to break the pallet and break a 3 gen you are slamming nearby.

You'd do the same for example, if you haven't been hooked, and you see a teammate who is on death hook being chased, you should go tank a hit for them, and try to get the killer to chase you instead, by literally throwing yourself at them. Intentionally run to a deadzone, and run to a map corner. Yeah you get hooked, but better that you get hooked, then a teammate get killed.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,098
    Options

Nothing, do it every match if possible.

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,764
    Options

I mean a "3 gen chase" at the start of a game isn't really a 3 gen chase.