The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Should killers see hook stages?

2»

Comments

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,900

Well as I say, I'm not really too invested either way, however to answer your question:

why is it a skill that the survivors don't need to have anymore?

The difference between Killer snd Survivor is as a Killer you were there for all the hooks. Unless I've been hitting the whiskey hard, if I'm playing properly, I am thinking about hook stages actively and have no issue tracking hooks.

As survivor you more often than not don't see it first hand, you only see the HUD change most of the time, so you have no events in your memory to call upon to remember hook stages... so it is far harder to recall which person was hooked and how many times at any given monemt.

There is also the fact that survivors are meant to be a team, and having it on HUD reduces the difference of SWF. You just check HUD instead if having to ask your buddy if you have to check. Killer is alone, you only have to recall information relevant to you.

So that's why Survivors get these improvements, and my overarching point is, the Killer doesn't need it really. I don't agree with the tunneling argument, as a killer wanting to tunnel won't need this HUD at all...

I just see this change as making the killer role a little lazier... which in fairness, when I'm being chill kland lazy would be handy... but when I'm being serious it's a little less engaging. Depending on my mood, enjoyment/engagement gets slightly better, or slightly worse, so I'm not really bothered.

• Feneroe
    Feneroe Member Posts: 226

No, killer seeing hook stages of each survivor is akin to survivor seeing hook stages of each survivor. It was a basic skill for both sides, but they removed it on the survivor side. May as well make it fair and do the same for killer for all the killers that want to play nice. Or revert it for survivor and add back in that "basic skill" to them.

• appleas
    appleas Member Posts: 1,122
    edited September 2023

The answer is pretty simple. It’s the same reason why the game took 7 years to even get mention of a FOV slider for Killers.

Devs don’t care lol. Allowing Killer to see hook states would help with hook token based perks like pain resonance and no way out. I guess such a QOL is too much to ask for as it would boost kill rates drastically (sarcasm).

• Evan_
    Evan_ Member Posts: 543

Nope, killer's hook tacker is not like survivors seeing a gen's aura. We still need to find our objectives (just one of those aren't keep running around).

If you want an actually fitting analogy, it's the same as survivors being able to see a gen's level of progress. And they do.

• CaulDrohn
    CaulDrohn Member Posts: 1,594

Right, gens done is missing as well. Thats easier to remember than hook stages of individual survivors, but still I'm not sure every now and then whether it was still two or three left.

• BlightedTrapper
    BlightedTrapper Member Posts: 339

I highly disagree with everything claiming showing hooks won't encourage tunneling. Sure, if someone wants to tunnel a survivor from the beginning it won't change anything for them. But if a killer who wasn't thinking about hooks before looks at the counter, and notices one survivor has more hooks than the others, I could definitely see many players deciding they want to go out of their way to hunt that survivor.

I say this as someone who generally goes for 8 hooks before sacrificing. I believe it would change a lot of killer players' mindsets, and overall negatively affect the experience of survivors with more hook states.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904

Eh I wouldn't want it.

There is far to much shared information at the moment. All the mystery, guesswork and thought is largely gone.

I think it would just be another piece of information cluttering an increasingly cluttered UI.

• cburton311
    cburton311 Member Posts: 407

absolutely not

the only reason to want to see it, is to either tunnel people out harder or to intentionally avoid removing someone.... in my experience, while not every killer tunnels, very very few will ignore a survivor that they stumble upon and then ignore them due 'cause it might kill them.

Not every killer would exploit the info, i don't think anyone would use it altruistically, so no way

• Grigerbest
    Grigerbest Member Posts: 1,410

As the guy above said - "Counting hooks is a basic killer skill".

But also, I can't see any reason to have that option. Like why?

I think the Entity purposely not allowing it.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792

Nah. It's not necessary. And it would help certain killers tunnel. Or not even tunnel, but make decisions on who to go for next. For instance if they killer comes across 3 survivors working on the last gen. A killer who was actively paying attention will remember that Claudette and Jane have 1 hook and David has 2, so they can go for David to secure a kill or one of the others to spread hooks if that's what they want. But people forget either because they are distracted or just have a weaker memory. Maybe they had just a long chase with the other survivor and they are a bit frustrated because it didn't go well. Who knows. But if the game puts what basically amounts to a giant red arrow above David's head then that requires zero input on the killer's part. And that handholding could very easily turn the game in the killer's favor.

Every time this topic comes up everybody likes to play cute and say "well I want it because I like to spread hooks 😇😇😇." It's disingenuous. If that's your goal then pay attention.

And to people who say "well why do survivors get it? They can pay attention to!" And they can, and I'd rather have it go away for survivors before be added for killers. However, paying attention to who you personally put on a hook is way different from paying attention to the actions of two other players when you're not seeing or participating in those actions. It's not even remotely the same thing.

• Beatricks
    Beatricks Member Posts: 857

Eh, I really don't like the idea of making it easier to tunnel, but I when I'm memeing, chilling or want to let someone live, it would be useful to know not to hook them. I really don't think there's a good solution for this.

• TotemSeeker91
    TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 2,358

Yes, absolutely changes nothing, as you can probably tell, been wanting this forever, lol

• TotemSeeker91

We are hoomans, we make mistakes or get sidetracked sometimes

• TotemSeeker91

That "gamesense" is only for killers who wanna try, so they are obviously going to keep track, but for those who want to just 2 hook everyone, I cannot see the problems if they just wanna chill

• Maelstrom808
    Maelstrom808 Member Posts: 685

Auditory warning when you down a survivor on death hook. Non-abusable and saves games from accidently tunnelling someone out early. The best compromise you can have.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,127
  • appleas
    appleas Member Posts: 1,122
    edited September 2023

I half expect the people being against individual hook states UI for Killers to come out and say that Auras shouldn’t be color customizable because Survivor auras being able to “blend in” with Generator auras should be part of the game.

That might be the reason why Killer has gotten so little over 7 years in the QOL department.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

I honestly don´t know why survivors and killers have different hook counters. Like... do the devs really think that its easier for killers to keep track of the different hook stages than it is for survivors?

• Talwuzhere
    Talwuzhere Member Posts: 17

I would much prefer to spread out my hooks over going for someone too soon who's been on hook so yea I think it being up on the hud would be nice.

Especially for matches that end in farming when someone DCs and I want to play seriously until everyone is double hooked before I'm friendly. I hate to accidentally kill someone in those games rip.

I do try to count and can generally remember but not always.

As for tunneling - a killer is going to remember who they want out of the game. I guess I could see a killer pivoting to someone who's death hook near end game but thats more or less them securing a kill imo and would happen with or without the indicator.

• CountOfTheFog
    CountOfTheFog Member Posts: 2,137

They absolutely should. I'm surprised they can't. Has Behaviour given a reason why they don't let them?