The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

People's perspective on Xenomorph.

2»

Comments

• Sava18
    Sava18 Member Posts: 2,439

It's alien so people are biased without even thinking about the power. A common occurrence in this game.

People like me who don't care even a little bit about blight aesthetic and only think about the power are not nearly as common as the previously mentioned people.

I know I wasn't thinking hag was cool when watching otz play her was the reason I picked up dbd.

Just because alien can be an m1 killer if taken out of power via flame turrets doesn't mean the killer is fun to go against at all. I know every killer can't be blight/wesker but the devs should probably start leaning in that direction more and more.

• CatnipLove
    CatnipLove Member Posts: 1,006

There are some people on here that will like any comment that comes from their side, regardless of how stupid and incoherent the post is. You could put up a post saying "Gem sukes *insert whatever* iz oP BiHvour oni carz abut otter sid" and it would receive a bunch of likes. I'd give it a like, but only because I'm a huge fan of Otter Sid.

• Gandor
    Gandor Member Posts: 4,257
    edited October 2023

I never talked about curving. I spoke about being able to hit someone if there's anything visible from survivor body (in specific cases and injured person u don't even need to see anything).

Anyway, after CD change Xeno is fine. In fact, they spoiled his hitboxes a bit making him just a tiny bit underwhelming (but I don't expect them to change it - wesker's tunnel potential with infection is the only problem with the killer and it seems they aren't going to address that one too).

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,898
    edited October 2023

I'm sure I saw a video showing Xeno tail curving over the desk barricade in RPD (the one on the left when coming in the main entrance from the main exit gate past the guaranteed gen spawn). Even Deathslinger can't hit through that, so I'm pretty sure it's a thing.

That said, Xeno hasn't been in an unbugged state since launch. With the no speed drop on miss, Xeno was brutal to face, and I almost never escaped.

Now with the speed fixed AND nerfed, combined with the bad hitboxes on tail strike, Xeno is pretty weak, and I smoke them majority of games (or get close to escaping, which is a win cause I'm crap at survivor).

I'm greatly looking forward to the day when Xeno is fixed completely so I can finally play it/against it properly. I actually have a lot of fun either side, but Xeno is undeniably weak right now with its screwy hitbox.

Edit: This wasn't it, but is not a bad demonstration. The first hit could be done without, but the second is very questionable if you'd ever hit that without dropping over. I wish I could find the RPD one, cause that one blew my mind.

• Gandor
    Gandor Member Posts: 4,257

Oh. We are talking about dragging down that basically guarantees hits from above obstacles? Well yes. That's super strong thing he can do (but I feel they nerfed this one - which was IMO not really needed given CD revert). But it 100% was a thing and I was using it and it does not really work in current patch (or at least it works much worse)

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,655

The 2nd hit wasn't even exciting. If you pause the video, you'll notice the highlighted hitbox line isn't going over the tall part of the structure, but instead was going over the bed, which is a way shorter object

• UndeddJester

Yeah, but when he threw the tail, he threw over the bench and dragged down. I can't quite tell but it also looks like the survivor crouched, because I can't see them over the obstacle.

Without a visible map of the hitboxes, its hard to tell for sure, but that looks a lot like dropping the tail hitbox to me.

Plus as I say, this isn't the example I wanted to find, but I can't the one that pulls it over over the barricade in RPD.

Would be happy to see a custom game where someone labs it.

• Coffeecrashing

The only way the tail drag could have been relevant, is if the hitbox was first active on the tall bench, and so the tail needed to start high up to avoid the bench. But the tail hitbox is still straight lines, regardless if it's dragged or not.

And here's the problem... Some people are claiming that the tail's hitbox goes from a straight line, to a curved line, if the tail is dragged, and therefore it allows Xeno to make "trick shots".

And the video quality is so bad that it's difficult to see what is even going on. It's entirely possible there was a bit of latency, and the survivor wasn't even behind the bed when they got hit. Here's a screenshot from right before the survivor was hit. I think the blob I highlighted was the survivor, and if you match it with the previous screenshot I posted, the killer's screen might have shown the survivor as still to the right of the bed, and not behind the bed, when the attack connected.

• UndeddJester
    edited October 2023

Well, I think its the motion blur that's making it rough to see, as the video is 1080p.

However slowing the video right down

You can see the initial frame where the hitbox starts. Otz has to throw it over the bench to clear it, the yellow strike is visible there.

He then drags it down, and the strike is now below line of the bench before the final frame where the hitbox sticks and hits the survivor behind the metal bed.

I agree the hitbox is still straight lines, it certainly won't actually curve the hitbox, I think what people are saying is you start the hitbox high and as it moves away from you can drag it down over things that you otherwise wouldn't have been able to strike over. If Otz had gone for this same point without aiming up, he'd have hit the bench, or been too late tag the survivor before they got behind the pallet. So the point is this hitbox is like a rock on a string, where you throw it over an obstacle and if you time it right, you can drag it into place on the other side.

Even without the bench being a factor, you can clearly see that Otz is aiming high to start with, and then successfully pulls the hitbox down. I know Nemesis' hitbox doesn't work like this, as that is essentially a series of straight lines from Nemesis 1 after another, so you aren't able to arc it over obstacles, which I think is what people are pointing out you can do on Xeno.

But regardless, it's not concrete proof granted, actual footage of a reproducible controlled test to remove issues like latency, blur, observer interpretation/bias, etc would be much more objectively acceptable as a proof. Sadly I don't have friends to lab it with 😁

• Zakon05
    Zakon05 Member Posts: 185

Let me preface this by saying that I'm an approximately 65/35 killer-to-survivor player. Killer is the role I prefer to play and have the most fun on. But I do play a healthy amount of survivor and I am sympathetic to many things which survivors find frustrating. I want what is best for this game since it's one of my favorite games of all time, but I am laying my biases out so people can understand where I'm coming from.

With that said, the problem with this discussion is that the tail is currently bugged and janky.

On the PTB, from videos I've seen, the tail will be much more responsive. It appears to be an instantaneous shot now, akin to a Deathslinger shot.

Keep in mind that Alien's tail is not like Nemesis's whip. It doesn't always remain active for the entirety of the animation like Nemmy's whip does. If you watch this video, you'll hear a "click" when the Alien's tail connects with terrain. As soon as the tail connects with something, the attack ends. At the moment, because the shot is so delayed, you can arc it over terrain, but based on what I'm seeing in this video, I think that will be much harder if not impossible because of how instantaneous the shot is. Or maybe it'll be even easier, hard to say without trying it.

I don't know if this will make the Alien better or worse. My perspective is that on live the Alien is strong but balanced, akin to other A-tier killers like Huntress, Pinhead, Wesker, Oni, and Artist.

While I don't think every killer needs to be A-tier in strength, I do think it's healthy to have a variety of strong killers to pick from to keep the game fresh so tryhard (not using this as a derogatory term) killers have options.

Alien is in a weird spot compared to other killers with skillshots like this. The tail is balanced against the flamer turrets and the fact its power can be disabled temporarily, which is not true of others, unless you count reloading as a Huntress. It also can't shred through pallets like Nemesis. And it has a long cooldown for a missed attack, 3 whole seconds of not being able to do anything and moving at a very slow speed.

If the tail gets any more nerfs, it will likely just make the Alien feel really bad to play. It's already balanced, even if it can sometimes feel unfair on the survivor end of things. But at the same time, survivors are supposed to lose chases, the game isn't intended for survivors being able to juice killers for 5 generators like in a youtube montage, so maybe having a power which feels like you can't outplay it all of the time isn't a bad thing.

• Coffeecrashing

I think there are multiple things going on here.

1) This video clip is a very rare scenario, where the tail starts at a tall object, then goes to a shorter object, and is the only time where tail dragging actually makes a difference.

2) I really honestly think when most people talk about tail dragging, they literally think it causes the hitbox to turn into a curved line. Like the below picture, where it's showing the hitbox literally turning into a curved line. This is NOT what the hitbox is doing....

3) If the tall object didn't exist, then tail dragging would have been completely unnecessary. The rock on a string is a bad comparison, because string can bend. It would be better to consider the tail hitbox as a straight metal pipe, and the pipe can be moved. Below is a picture of what tail dragging actually is doing...

• Zakon05
    Zakon05 Member Posts: 185

I think you're both right and wrong about this, though I haven't tried to arc the tail over terrain that much.

The tail, from what I can tell, has a slight downward curve to it. If you try to tail strike a turret by aiming at it directly, you often strike the ground. I have to aim slightly above the turret so that the tail will actually hit it.

So I do think it's possible to arc it over terrain by looking up. But I don't think it works by looking up and dragging downward. I think people are imagining that works because the tail's hurtbox is so delayed right now. I think once the patch comes out, this will work by just aiming slightly over the terrain and right clicking.

• Coffeecrashing
    edited October 2023

The problem with the tail's hitbox, is we are so used to projectile killers, where the projectile starts in the direct middle of our screen. But Xeno's tail hitbox starts a bit above the center of the screen. This means that if Xeno is "too close" to something, they actually have to aim the tail differently. In the case of crouching survivors that are very close to Xeno, it requires Xeno to aim lower than the direct middle of their screen. This is why so many killers are missing crouching survivors with a tail attack, because they were expecting the tail's hitbox to always be in the direct middle of their screen.

The tail's hitbox starts a bit above the center of the screen, but it looks like it eventually reaches the direct middle of the screen by the time it reaches max length. But the hitbox is still always a straight line. The reason why it can sometimes look like it's curving over close objects, is because the hitbox starts higher than people expect, when they are at Xeno’s point of view.

Remember that Xeno’s point of view is lowered while in crawler mode, and I think Xeno’s tail attack actually starts where the center of the screen would have been if Xeno was at normal (point of view) height during crawler mode. And if Xeno’s tail hits a survivor that is too low to be visible in Xeno’s screen, you need to ask yourself “would the survivor be visible if Xeno’s point of view was at normal height, instead of the lowered height in crawler mode”?

Disclaimer 2… I think the actual reason tail dragging is popular is specifically because some people don’t know how to properly aim it. I think people realize the tail sometimes misses when they aim it at the center of their screen, but they aren’t sure why the attack is missing, so they just drag the tail downwards so they don’t need to actually stop and think about how to properly aim the tail.

Post edited by Coffeecrashing on
  • Kuffowi
    Kuffowi Member Posts: 62

goodness me sometimes people just need to realise this is a g a m e and you shouldnt literally bully people who ask questions :/

• KaTo1337
    KaTo1337 Member Posts: 535
    edited October 2023

Lets break it down to the way BHVR looks at things:

2156 games, 52,53% average Killrate.

BHVR wanted 60% killrate on average

= definitely no nerfs needed

In addition: The Tail-Attack is currently bugged.

• NewPlayer100102
    NewPlayer100102 Member Posts: 515

The circle is the survivors bun and head.

One second later the tail hits.

It looks like the tail goes through the two desks.

This is the only hit I consistently land over a tall wall.

• Coffeecrashing
    edited October 2023

That is what the survivor looks like when Xeno isn't in crawler mode. And considering that Xeno's tail attack starts higher than the middle of the screen (from Xeno's point of view while in crawler mode), then it makes sense that Xeno should be able to make this shot.

When you try to figure out if Xeno should be able to make a shot, you should look at Xeno's point of view, while not in crawler mode, because that would give you a much better idea of what shots it should be able to make.

It also helps when the survivor is uninjured, to give a better idea of what the survivor's hitbox looks like. Remember that injured survivors have the same hitbox as uninjured survivors, and the fact that the survivor is leaning forward, doesn't actually change their hitbox. This means a survivor's hitbox might be in a killer's field of view, even if the survivor isn't visible in the killer's field of view.

• NewPlayer100102

She wasn't injured, she was facing the attack, her hit box was the capsule vertical, as in line with the body as it ever gets.

I do know each object in the game has some collision thing around it. For whatever reason, that thing doesn't match with its graphical representation. So, to figure out how to use Xenomorph, you have to go to each object and toss the tail around it.

The question was does it linger and hook down now? I have no video clips of it doing so, and it gets very complicated because the object collision in a lot of places is very different than its graphical representation.

• Coffeecrashing
    edited October 2023

You should look at the below screenshot, that is from Xeno's point of view, while not in crawler mode. That is the point of view that matters, because the tail's attack is based on the middle of Xeno's screen, as it is shown while not in crawler mode. Look at how much of the survivor is visible.

Remember that Xeno has a lowered point of view in crawler mode, and that the tail's attack isn't based on the lowered point of view.

• NewPlayer100102

After going back and trying to hit over that wall, aside from the stacked boxes which block LOS in either camera position you can hit a standing survivor without dragging. Pulling down never seemed to hit, curve, or linger on any object on the map.

Pulling up had an effect.

This does not hit. Although the tail graphic passes through the survivor head.

This does hit a half a second later.(although the killer could not see the target, he just kept increasing his angle off target, this is almost 90 degrees from his Pov.

I think the tail does not bend. I think it is very out of sync with what the survivor sees. And I think the up hit works because He just shorted the distance while increasing the angle.

• Coffeecrashing
    edited October 2023

That scenario requires an upward tail drag, because the game yanks the camera downward if Xeno tries to do a tail attack at a steep upward angle.

Below is a screenshot from when I connected an attack with Jake, who was on the floor above. The tail itself doesn't look like it's angled high enough to reach the floor above.

Below is the yellow tail graphic that appeared shortly afterwards, which didn't match the tail's actual location at all.

And here's a before picture, which shows that Jake was actually visible from this angle. Disclaimer... I bumped up the brightness of the picture, because he's barely visible in the actual video.

1) I'm wondering if the tail attack actually starts behind Xeno, (I thought of this because I think one of the bugfixes stopped Xeno from being able to hit survivors behind it, and I was wondering what could have possibly caused that).

2) Anyways, I'm guessing BHVR didn't expect anyone to try to make a tail attack this vertical, so they never tried to get the tail graphic to match the attack in this scenario. …Or maybe Xeno’s camera got yanked because someone at BHVR realized that sharp vertical angles make the attacks look bad, and they were hoping the camera yank would stop people from making attacks like this?

• NewPlayer100102

If the other player stands in the Xeno's lower half , the tail will hit them, and the Xeno player won't know it.

The PTB says this is fixed. It was apparently a game breaking exploit.

I don't see any real application for either the vertical or ass attacks.

being able to drag the tail horizontally and vertically would be ideal, because as it is now there are some places where survivors seem to be 100% safe from it while still clearly able to be hit. I think the easiest fix would be if it flexed a bit.

• Coffeecrashing

One of the biggest problems with Xeno is its camera point of view. Xeno is super tall in normal mode, but BHVR gave this a normal height point of view. So then when Xeno goes into crawler mode, it’s stuck with a lowered point of view, which ends up confusing many people, because its tail attack isn’t based around this lowered point of view.

It honestly would be much better if Xeno’s point of view were a bit higher than normal when it is in the super tall normal mode, then Xeno would drop down to a normal point of view in crawler mode. This would make the attacks make way more sense from Xeno’s point of view.

Then BHVR could use aim dressing to fix the tail’s placement on the survivor’s screen, if a hit occurs.

If BHVR did these things, then we wouldn’t have so many issues where people don’t understand where to aim Xeno’s tail. I imagine that people that rely on tail dragging, will just miss some of their tail attacks, on crouching survivors or turrets, because instead of aiming correctly, they’ll aim over their target, will end up hitting the ground before they hit their target, then the attack fizzles so they end up missing the tail attack. I’ve seen so many people aim incorrectly on low targets, and it’s just sad. People just don’t seem to understand that Xeno sometimes needs to angle their camera dramatically downwards, to hit a low target with its tail.

• NewPlayer100102

His camera position in the three situations that I commonly see would benefit from examination.

In crawler mode, its too low. Can't see over bushes, maps like the swamp feel terrible to play and oddly matched to his tail strike zone. In walk mode I don't see an issue with raising it, aside from the increased FoV in that plane around short walls vs ducking survivors and tall walls during loop stuff. But they sound like welcome changes.

His other view mode is runner POV with the standing graphic because of how his body reacts when close to objects. This view and avatar combo seems to be just wrong and it interferes with survivor counter play at objects.

His tail still presents survivors with some situations that feel totally broken. And although the ability to drag it has many uses, it does solve most of the issues I've seen where survivors can be 100% in view but completely safe from a hit, due to object collision.