Gen progression/regression needs to be normalized.

Reinami
Reinami Member Posts: 5,442
edited October 2023 in Feedback and Suggestions

As it stands you MUST take gen defense perks, or you will lose as a killer against any decent team. I think we need to do with gen perks like we have done with many killers and their addons. Lets nerf all gen defense perks and regression, and buff basekit get times, or regression, or something. I want to be able to run perks other than 3+ gen defense perks to actually play the game.

Post edited by BoxGhost on

Comments

• XshyguyX
    XshyguyX Applicant Posts: 107

We need a perk rework sure. I'm also tired of the same. I'd like to see some extra objectives added to freshen stuff up.

• AmpersandUnderscore
    AmpersandUnderscore Member Posts: 1,678

I wonder how much of the fun of this game has been lost in our endless pursuit of balance

Unfortunately a lot of the fun has already gone.

Even more unfortunate is that it's likely to keep going in that direction for the foreseeable future.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,318
    edited October 2023

long time ago survivor used to run borrow time to not immediately get downed after unhooking. now survivor have base-kit BT. this made survivor less reliant on running anti-tunnel so they can run other perks. soloq still get a bit of aura reading problem but it is still better than before.

killer on other hand did not receive any base-kit regression perks despite their meta revolving around game slowdown. the only form of active slowdown they got was.... 2.5% regression on kicking. that is not enough slowdown to do anything meaningful at base-kit. two of top most used perks are Pain res and Jolt. perhaps both of these perks should be partially considered base-kit. the perks themselves would only begin passive regression on generators while active regression part of the perk could perhaps be considered base-kit.

that is an idea. I am not sure if it is good idea but that would better than nothing in terms of gen defence.

• Yippiekiyah
    Yippiekiyah Member Posts: 480
    edited October 2023

I think 90 second gens are prob fine and it would be complicated to add more time without changing hook timers etc. A 30 second corrupt should be basekit with maybe 5% per kick. Survivor gen rush perks should be nerfed also and maps made smaller with less pallets to shorten chase times.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,722

I think 90 second gens are fine but there should be some weaker form of Corrupt basekit or some other mechanic that prevents gens from flying as much in the early game. Base regression should be one-third of survivor repair speed instead of one-fourth, especially once we get the anti-3-gen mechanic in the game.

Nerf slowdown perks and strong toolboxes (Commodious toolbox needs a nerf and addons that add extra charges either need the charges reduced or need a downside of reducing the repair speed bonus, they are much better than the repair speed addons in their current state). The weaker toolboxes are ok. Stakeout should change to providing its bonus progress on good skill checks when consuming a token instead of converting it to a great skill check, thus removing the synergy with Hyperfocus that allows for 60 second gens (or faster) and Hyperfocus shouldn’t be active while using a toolbox.

To prevent the increased regression rate from buffing regression perks (with the exception of Ruin which deserves the buff) and keep it solely as a buff to baseline regression, any regression perk (with the exception of Pop) that causes a generator to explode and lose progress should no longer automatically start normal regression. So Eruption for example would remove the 10% progress but would not continue regressing the gen past that, the killer would need to kick it again. Pop and Pain Res would likely still need additional changes beyond that (personally I think Pain Res should deactivate completely once you kill someone regardless of remaining tokens).

• Timmylaw
    Timmylaw Member Posts: 227
    edited October 2023

Corrupt is typically the only gen slowdown I bring. Sometimes pop, that's it. I win most of my matches. You're lacking in your macro gameplay if you feel you have to run 4 slowdown perks to win.

Spread pressure, don't chase into dead zones, don't over commit to chases. If you haven't gotten a pallet burned or a hit within 20 seconds leave the chase. Stick to one half of the map. Something is likely wrong if you feel you need 4 slowdowns, or you're newer to the game. Info perks are amazing.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775
    edited October 2023

I don't think they are necessarily mutually exclusive either, but I'm starting to consider what we've lost in the pursuit of balance.

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,830

Personally I think the game has gotten more fun the more balanced it has become.

This game is never going to be balanced, but it being wildly unbalanced isn’t exactly fun either.

I don’t think DBD should aim to be competitive or anything, but I think the game is still more fun when there is some aim for balance.

• RpTheHotrod
    RpTheHotrod Member Posts: 1,862

Been saying this for a long time. There shouldn't be a way to decrease or increase progress on gens on perks. To counter toolboxes and no way to dump progress whatsoever, generators should just automatically regress when not being repaired (albeit slowly). Survivors might freak out at the thought of automatic regression, but we are talking about the natural slow regression, and the killer would have no way to drop your progress significantly within a few seconds like how it is currently. It's a win win for both sides. No more surprise lightning fast generator repairs, but at the same time, generators allowed to repair significantly will likely remain a threat to the killer, since it would take awhile of no survivor repairs for it to go down from a high repair progress. Kicks would have to be reworked to do something useful, however. Too many kick related perks to just remove kicks.

• RpTheHotrod
    RpTheHotrod Member Posts: 1,862
    edited October 2023

Some of the m1 killers require at minimum 2 gen regression/slowdown perks to be viable at higher mmr. Certain killers can get away with no gen control because of their strengths.

• egg_
    egg_ Member Posts: 1,933
    edited October 2023

Do you take gen defence and think it's needed as nurse too?

Your answer will make me decide whether to take you seriously or not

Ps not like using nowhere to hide or floods of rage instead of gen defence will make me take any nurse player more seriously

• H2H
    H2H Member Posts: 711
    edited October 2023

There should definitely be min and max caps on any kind of progression/regression for gens, healing, killer power recharge, whatever. Problems like, for example, when the PTB Circle of Healing could stack and give faster healing than the killer could attack or the old infinite legion mending exploit could automatically be handled without needing specific exclusions.

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,176

That is my hot take for the last couple of weeks:

In the last year we have made the game objectively the most balanced it has ever been, yet most long-time players aren't having any MORE fun and quite contrary complain how the game lost its spark.

Every basekit solution further calcifies the meta and every dialing back of numbers flattens the experience. My personal theory is that BHVR purposefully introduced obviously overtuned or even OP perks like MFT and Ultimate Weapon in order to break up the crust. Games became very predictable and its actually good to have wild cards back that van make the game swing wildly, leading to krass missplays and sky-high triumphs

Without wiggle room like this players optimised the hell out of the screws they could access: slamming gens and camping tunneling

• xltechno
    xltechno Member Posts: 1,026

I think the 90 second repair time is reasonable.

The problem is that the penalty when two survivors repair a generator is too low, or it is too easy for survivors to focus on repairing the generator.

This can be improved to some extent by preparing a separate task like the Cenobite battle as a base kit for the killer.

On the other hand, the 30% penalty brought by pentimento seems a little high when there are not enough survivors, so you should consider changing it to an 8% penalty for the number of survivors.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,617

I'm not so sure I agree as the premise here. I don't think the killer inherently needs slowdown perks when facing a strong team, it's only really necessary if that team brings specific tools to speed the generators up considerably.

With that in mind, I don't think a global slowdown perk nerf and basekit slowdown buff would actually change much. You'd still be at the mercy of the two things actually making generators go too fast; survivors spawning all spread out, and toolboxes in particular. It'd be much more effective to tackle this issue at those two sources, imo, rather than continuing to tinker with perks that are honestly pretty balanced at the moment.

As an aside, if you're taking 3+ gen defence perks, you're probably going to lessen your chances of victory since you'll be lacking vital tools like info perks.

• MimiDBD
    MimiDBD Member Posts: 302

I know it baffles me when people make claims like the person you responded too. If you need "X" to do "Y" its a skill issue because I win doing "Y" with no "X". All the while not saying what killer, add-ons, etc he brings into his matches.

All killers are created equal I guess.

• Reinami
    edited October 2023

Nurse is the exception, as a nurse main who can't remember the last time i lost a match with her, and thats with just taking random ass perks, i think she is a problem for the game. But we should not be making balance decisions based on nurse. It is easier to buff killers as a whole, and then nerf the 3 killers that are a problem, than it is to buff 25+ killers individually.

• Alinpazz
    Alinpazz Member Posts: 11

I dont think its the gen perks that need help, but most other perks are just so useless they can't be justified. "10 seconds of undetectable" ok if you catch a surviver not paying attention in that time frame (which never seems to happen). Why would I use a perk that only slightly helps 1% of the time, when I could be using a gen or aura perk?

• Reinami

To be fair, survivor perks have the same problem, they are all very niche and aren't usuable in every game. So generally people pick the ones that ARE useful all the time, like MFT for example.