Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Skill issue? Can’t be camped or tunneled without going down

For tunneling to be successful you must take at least one or sometimes 2 hits after the unhook. Where are the calls for Survivors to improve their map and knowledge, situational awareness, looping ability, and stealth skills?

Comments

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

Survivor has to fail multiple times before being hooked; failed to hide, failed to escape chase before injury, and failed to escape chase before being downed.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

5 Gens chase should be the standard skill for average solo.

• dwight444
    dwight444 Member Posts: 354

how do u stealth 'skill' getting chased right off of the hook.... ?

you're already at a disadvantage with -1 health state, any non bot killer is just gonna wait out the endurance and you're going to take the hit at one point or another, the entire game is predicated on that

expecting the average solo queuer to loop 5 gens after first hook is a stupid expectation to have

• ProfessorDunwich
    ProfessorDunwich Member Posts: 1,514

Cognitive dissonance. Many more Survivor mains here, not even close tbh. They will likely upvote a pro-Survivor argument if it meets their preconceived notions, no matter how rudimentary, baseless, or thoughtless the argument may be. Given the fact this is an asymmetrical game, the issue is compounded.

Just like how one could go to see their favorite sports team. Every successful play is because their team is good. Every misstep is the refs fault or bogus rules.

Anyway, this thread has proven my point for these forums. Most posts here can be distilled to the following.

Survivor struggles = poor balancing

Killer struggles = skill issue

• daddyo
    daddyo Member Posts: 48

And survivors can work on improving to make the skill gap in their favor

• th3syst3m
    th3syst3m Member Posts: 394

Obviously, however if MMR worked that gap shouldn't exist. Also "I think the major issue is that a lot of survivors only see themself escaping as a win." If you want to take dying for your team a personal win that's great however the devs put a system in place that counts dying as losing no matter what you did in the match.

• daddyo

BHVR has acknowledged that the MMR system is lacking in that regard and that they're working on making escaping less important. That said, why do people feel so beholden to what an invisible system considers a win or loss? You don't see your MMR go up or down, and the MMR parameters are a joke for matchmaking purposes so it doesn't even better if it goes up or down after a game.

Like, do you actually consider it a loss if you do 3 gens, save a couple of people, get a clutch flashlight save, take the killer on a game losing chase for the last 2 gens and then die in basement cause the killer had NOED and your teammates all left instead of risking it? Are you not capable of making a win/loss judgement for yourself without considering what BHVR's piss poor system thinks of your performance? Lol.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,610

Not to defend using the MMR system as your metric for winning or losing, because you really should just ignore the MMR system and let it do its work in the background, but that scenario is a loss. The MMR system didn't create the win/loss conditions, they've existed since the game was launched.

The real problem is that people are too caught up in winning or losing and ignore all other details. The scenario you describe is a loss, but in my book, it's a pretty good + fun loss that I'd be perfectly happy with. Others, less so, and they might be happier if they re-evaluated that stance.

• daddyo

Agree to disagree. Survivors are a team. There are 4 of you and if 3 escape then that's a pretty solid team effort and in my opinion is a win even if I'm the person dying. Not really sure why so many survivors have the mindset that they should be able to 1v1 the killer and if they fail that, they've lost.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,610

It's definitely a solid team effort and definitely a loss for the killer, but it's also a loss for the survivor that died. That's their goal, is to escape the trial, that's the entire thing all of the mechanics in the game are built around.

You could argue it'd be healthier for the game to be built around a team-based win or loss for the survivor side, but that's both not how it is now and also might be a hard sell for the single person who escaped only to be told they somehow lost that match.

It's not about being able to 1v1 the killer, at all, it's just about how the game is designed. Your win condition as killer is to kill, and your win condition as survivor is to survive. You stand a better chance of doing that if everyone else escapes too, but that isn't required.

• th3syst3m
    th3syst3m Member Posts: 394

The idea is if you play well you should get teammates that are of similar skill as you. So if you know the game will only reward you with MMR if you escape it might matter to some people. I know MMR is a joke but it does do something. I do see a difference from my wifes account and mine when playing survivor and the difference is huge.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,754

The problems I see with direct tunneling are:

For killers it is often the most effective thing to do either at that moment or frankly always. It can be the correct thing to do and the easiest thing to do all at the same time.

But for survs we're taking about a feeling you get while it's happening. How tf do you legislate emotional responses like that, to anything fair to both roles? No matter how or why you're on that hook, you just don't want to be the one chased next when you are unhooked.

Where you're hooked, what's around you to use, your own loadout & skill, and the behavior of your allies all come into play here, but at the end of the day if the killer wants you they get you in most instances. It kinda has to be that way when it's a four on one game.

Also sadly here is where I wish there weren't "mains" in this game, just players. I really do think this matters. Playing both roles at least to a competent level I strongly believe not only makes you better at your preferred role, but more likely to be empathetic to both roles and how it feels to play either side.

But I admittedly don't have any easy fixes for this either. It certainly is beyond just solely a skill issue though.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

MMR needs to include a Team rating for one thing

Another thing is to add more things that can be tracked for MMR

• ProfessorDunwich
    ProfessorDunwich Member Posts: 1,514

My posts get mass approval? I must be missing something.

• 09SHARKBOSS
    09SHARKBOSS Member Posts: 1,281

personally i would make it so the entity would block the hit with one of its claws

• 09SHARKBOSS
    09SHARKBOSS Member Posts: 1,281

many people say the opposite but most things in this game are a skill issue

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904

That's great, you are displaying a maturity that outstrips some of the adults here. 👍️

• Rulebreaker
    Rulebreaker Member Posts: 1,859
    edited October 2023

So very unfortunately true

For the topic:

While we agree with some of the sentiments, we're gotta to point out that tunneling does not always allow for survivors to display or improve the skills listed (for example how would they improve said stealth skill if the killer is within line of view)

Post edited by Rizzo on
  • Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,886

I think tunneling is acceptable late game if things are going really badly, but if it's the default tactic or what the killer turns to at the first whiff of a challenge...yeah, it's really bad look.