Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

How does BHVR plan on balancing SWFs?

Considering that currently they are game breaking unbalanced. How is a Killer supposed to counter a full premade that has access to every information perk in the game and more?

Comments

• Ariel_Starshine
    Ariel_Starshine Member Posts: 937

They should just do what TCM does and show who is in a party together. At least then you can get an idea.

It'll make lobby dodging but meh whatever. I can't even play killer (due to motion sickness) and I don't care.

• Zaydin
    Zaydin Member Posts: 275

Whenever I dare suggest that SWF mains whine that no killer would ever play against a full SWF, almost like SWFs are not fun for Killers to play against. They don't appreciate it when you point that out to them.

• Archol123
    Archol123 Member Posts: 4,634

Bring solo to the level of swf and balance around that... Basically add voice and text chat to the game so you have a homogenous group of players with the same tools at their hands if they wish to and now you can balance around it instead of having different groups. Not really that hard is it.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,610

You can't fix that issue with voice chat, because that isn't a homogenous group of players with the same tools at their disposal. It's a segmented set of groups, between players who have both the language and hardware to engage with it and the players who only have one, or who have neither.

The information you give solo players has to come from the game, not from their teammates talking to them.

• Archol123

If we are looking at some server regions, Europe and America, for example, most people there will be able to speak english, but sure, you could as well add a chatwheel function together with voicechat and text chat just to make sure that everyone has a way to communicate, that feature alone would work without additional hardware. But like if you can afford a pc or console to run this game you will most likely be able to also afford a headset, especially since it makes it harder to play against certain killers if you don't use a headset anyway.

I cannot really talk about the other server regions but considering you have over a billion english speakers wordwide you will probably encounter one every few matches. But I have to say I am yet to encounter a game with voicechat and or textchat where not at least one person was able to speak a language I speak.

• jesterkind

That's missing the point, though. You're talking about "most" or "at least one", when the solution has to work for everyone that is attempting to use it.

Europe, the servers that I play on for most video games, has a lot of instances of people on voice chat not speaking English. This was one of my biggest barriers for success in ranked Overwatch, back when I played that; playing on the EU servers meant that a huge number of my teammates overall could not communicate with me -- at least, not via voice. That game, though, gave a lot of information to players without the need for input from their teammates, and that is the direction DBD should go.

Voice chat would mostly work as a solution for NA servers - as indeed it does for other games, I visited Canada for a few weeks and playing ranked Overwatch there was much easier for this exact reason - but it wouldn't worldwide, and that means it doesn't work as a solution at all.

Just to be sure I'm not only shooting down other ideas, some examples of things that the game could do without running into this problem would be: Showing teammate's loadouts pre-game and in the match details screen mid-game, giving some form of basekit Kindred to know who is where when it's time to orchestrate a save, adding secondary information elements to a lot of perks and improving the ones that exist, and allowing Keys (+ to a lesser extent, Maps) to be substitutes for voice comms via buffing the heck out of their info elements. A ping system could work too, though I'd be wary about tone.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,750

Some of the ideas in this post have merit. A ping system or chat wheel seem to make the most sense.

They've stated in the past their reasoning behind not implementing voice chat is the language barriers around the world and the availability of third-party comms. I suspect they want no part of having to moderate such a thing, but that's my opinion.

As far as a text chat goes, typing out anything with a controller is just pure pain.

• Archol123

Such things will never work for everyone. Everyone has the capability to get the information via voice or text chat, you can as well deactivate it because you don't feel like communicating, but the language barrier will always be there, and even if we add a chat wheel or add aura reading it will still not be entirely equivalent to communication via voice chat with 3 other people that speak your language and that you are comfortable around speaking with them.

• jesterkind

Not everyone does have the capability to get the information via voice or text chat, because of the language barrier, as well as the less important but still relevant hardware barrier for voice chat specifically.

Though, I will grant you that nothing we can do will actually rival SWF. The point should be, imo, to give all players info they'd need to make informed decisions in key moments. This information can't be gained through voice chat, it'd be too inconsistent, so other methods would be required.

• Archol123

I don't know man, I haven't heard complains from games like dota oder counterstrike that the voice chat is not working.

Also from a hardware standpoints, aren't all the consoles compatible with that? Or at least allow the use of a headset? Besides the point were you can get a headset for like 10 bucks so the price on this really is not an argument...

• jesterkind

That would be because those games tend to have other ways of imparting information on the player so they aren't solely reliant on whether or not the stars align for their teammates to be able to vc with them.

Also, you've heard one complaint, from me, about Overwatch. It is a thing in those games, but comms are both more expected in that genre and the games offer alternate ways of gaining information. For instance, those games can include a ping system, with minimal tonal concern- among many other methods.

Headsets may not be ultra expensive but ten bucks is sometimes more than people have. Put a gun to my head and tell me to buy a new headset right now, I wouldn't be able to. It's the least impactful of the reasons, yes, but it is still one factor of many that contribute to whether or not someone can benefit from a voice chat system-- and since the entire stated goal of implementing one in the first place here is to cut down on some having information and some being left out in the cold, that's relevant. If the solution doesn't work for everyone it necessarily cannot be considered a solution to this particular problem.

• Archol123

Yeah I know those games have it, but barely anyone uses it, because it is much easier to just tell people over voice... Maybe besides the ping system in dota to let your team know what item a specific enemy has, but other than that I barely see them used.

You would still get value even without a headset... Also I don't know man if you don't have ten bucks to spare for your hobby that seems like a reason to get a part time job or maybe even spend less time playing the game overall, not to sound judging, but like it is really not that much.

I find it a really idiotic argument to basically say, just because it only solves the problem in the vast majority of cases it is not relevant, it decreases the gap that's what matters... That would be like saying we do not get air bags for all cars, because it does not prevent any death caused by collision, like what?

If voice chat was the only thing we ever added to close the gap fine then you could keep searching for the perfect solution you would probably never find, but nobody said that. You can have more than one thing to fully close the gap, you could for example select languages you speak so you can get matched with people you can communicate with or decide you want a team without voice because you currently don't want to interact with anyone and what not, just because one solution does not solve everything does not mean it cannot be part of a bigger solution that basically solves it completely.

• jesterkind

It's easier to tell people over voice... if you are able to. If your teammates do not speak the same language as you, if you do not have a headset (for whatever reason), if you don't have the privacy to voice call without insane noise pollution, if you just want to avoid harassment based on gender or accent or whatever... then you'd be using the other methods for exchanging information.

Implement both at once if you must, but the voice chat won't achieve much and cannot be implemented on its own. It's important to correct your rundown on my take; it isn't that it wouldn't solve everything, it's that it wouldn't solve anything. You would still be at square one with the exact same problem: Some players can exchange information, and some cannot.

• Archol123

Only the amount of players that have access to communication has drastically improved, which is not nothing. And still just because you cannot or do not want to communicate with the rest of your team does not mean they don't tell you stuff, which is still an increase in information.

Also it is not like you get the same players every game, so even if you have one game where nobody speaks your language it is not like this will happen every game, if you queue in central europe or america at least, in those regions this would probably be quite the advantage, sure in other regions maybe not as much, but then again at least it decreased the gap and improved the experience for a big part of the community.

• Archol123

On a second note, noise pollution? Where on earth are you playing? Like you have a headset, obviously, otherwise the game sound would too much already, and then you cannot talk simple words? Are you playing in the public library or what is it you're trying to say?

I would still argue that those people who do not have a headset, or are afraid of whatever in voice chat or are playing god knows where are the vast minority so sure, for them it would not do much, but do you think they would be like just because I cannot have this advantage nobody should? Pretty sure they would be happy as well about new features, and like I said before they would perhaps also get information despite not distributing them themselves, If I play dota for example I never talk in voice, because I just don't feel like it, but I still listen if other people use it, which is perfectly fine. So even if they cannot or do not want to use the feature, they would still benefit from it to some degree.

• CatnipLove
    CatnipLove Member Posts: 1,006

You could basekit Kindred and Bond, then add VC, and solo queue would still suck. Seeing auras and hearing someone's mum shouting at them won't stop players from disconnecting, going AFK or trying for the 4% at five gens. It won't make survivors bother to go for unhooks and it won't compensate for the terrible matchmaking. You can't make solo queue just like SWF. It's impossible to make the two on par with each other.

BHVR can keep improving solo queue, but there's a limit to how much they can achieve without making survivors in general too strong, and SWF will always be much stronger than solo queue.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,176

have you seen any SWF specific balancing in 6 years of dbd? I have not seen anything. It is safe to say there is no plans to nerf SWF or change SWF in any conceivable way. If anything, your more likely to see information-type aura perks show up on solo to make solo and SWF a lesser divide.

When will that happen? No clue. Nobody necessary hyper requesting it. It would be nice to see dropped pallet aura's from any mean necessary passive and see your teammate's aura's so you can play closer to SWF efficiency for certain gameplay actions like healing. Only time will tell if any changes occur.

I also do not agree that no killer would play against a full SWF. Many killer players play against full SWF without knowing it. In general, if your killer has decent balance to win vs SWF, you will generally be fine playing killer against SWF.

• OrangeBear
    OrangeBear Member Posts: 2,636

15% hindered if you're in a group should do the trick

(i am joking)

• surv43
    surv43 Member Posts: 331

For several years I have proposed various solutions to problems, some of which, like the skill of hiding the aura of a survivor and subsequently rolling back the points of this ability, were implemented.

For several years I have proposed various options for how to infringe on players if they play in a group, so that their capabilities are reduced to the same as solo players, but now I realized that they are not going to infringe on such players.

Now I have a number of other ideas, one of which is separate MMR ranks for playing solo and for playing in a group.

Accordingly, even two players in a group will be counted as group MMR points, while the remaining players will be counted as solo players. This will lead to a more adequate selection of the enemy.

Just think if a group plays well they will start to get more and more difficult maniac against them, accordingly a weak team will get a weak maniac against them.

The only condition for the calculation is the real ability of this team to supply power to the gate and possibly escape; if there is not enough time, then the selection will be actively adjusted to the optimal one until the condition is met.

Everyone agrees that there are strong maniacs and weak ones, and this option for selecting players should influence the normalization of the selection of opponents. Your proposals are very reminiscent of my old thoughts, but I opened them wider, it’s useless.

• Archol123

You do realise however that MMR already does not do much if something at all? So while in theorey it might work if we had a working matchmaking system it will not work. When MMR was first introduced it was too strict, in the sense that it basically limited killer variety as well as provided over long queue times, I think Dowsey waited for like 90 + min for a game on twins and such ridiculous things. If the problems with the Matchmaking system were not there then maybe this could work... But even then...

• brewingtea
    brewingtea Member Posts: 240

Wait, you "have to think a little bit harder" against SWFs?

You just conceded the point. Thank you.

• Yoshirama
    Yoshirama Member Posts: 367

And when someone replied "Ok, but let survivors see who's the killer in the lobby" suddenly they think is a bad idea

• kit_mason
    kit_mason Member Posts: 279

It's not a matter of SWF being too strong its a matter of having to juggle SoloQ and SWF and therefore having to drag killers down so Solos have a chance. Improve the ability for Solos to communicate (ideally without just giving the game a voice chat, that won't fix the problem in any region with players that speak more than one language), and then adjust killer strength to match the new equilibrium.

• Ink_Eyes
    Ink_Eyes Member Posts: 561
    edited November 2023

I can say that will never happen, one of the many problems we have with comms is that they can call your perks and add ons when you use them, like if a player sees I use spirit furry/enduring all of a sudden half of my perks become useless since they will start pre dropping pallets, same for add ons. I really wish we could have a way to balance this but I don't see how.

Post edited by Ink_Eyes on
  • appleas
    appleas Member Posts: 1,123
    edited November 2023

Or maybe the actual reality is that solo queue will always be the lowest on the pecking order.

Devs have access to the statistics.

They know how many people play solo queue, how many people duo, trio, 4 stack. They know the win rate for these groups individually as compared to solo queue. They know how much potential revenue each group brings to the company.

Maybe BHVR recognizes that the overall win rate for solo queue needs to be lower to compensate for the win rate of swf. Maybe their numbers show that swf brings more revenue to the game than solo queue so pleasing swf is a more profitable venture. Hence it feels like devs are dragging their feet on closing this gap.

• surv43

you must understand that any algorithm needs to be configured. but with the base MMR numbers changing greatly, it is very difficult to find a formula for recruiting opponents. I believe that I have found that error, the correction of which should give an accurate determination of the player’s MMR rank for each mode. if there are specific numbers, then you just need to set up the selection formula for all

• surv43

It’s quite difficult to create a tool that doesn’t weaken the survivors in the group in any way, while at the same time strengthening the whining maniacs is the easiest way.

they just follow the easiest path so as not to think.

I proposed to level everyone as if they were solo players, but to have two MMR ranks for the survivor.

There are maniacs who, without much difficulty and without skills, carry out complete destruction, which means by making two ranks for survivors when applying the proper formula for selecting an opponent based on his MMR rank, you can make matches interesting.

The problem now is that no one wants to change the game among the players, no one supports the idea of ​​separately calculating ranks for different modes of the surviving player.

with such feedback, suggestions are silenced and the game only suffers and nothing changes

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,205

It's a little outdated now, but the last official stats on SWF were I think around 30% of survivors are SWF (including 2 and 3 man lobbies) and that SWF have an average 15% higher chance of escape.

That's not all that much when you consider that is less than the difference between an extra kill/escape per game (25%) and when you consider it's an average, meaning half of all SWF lobbies don't have as much as 15% greater escape rates.

Communication is as much of a skill as anything else, and not all SWFs are good at it. Simply having access to voice chat doesn't nean it's used well. When people talk about how strong SWF are, they're talking about a subset of SWF teams who actually use the tools well.

This is all to say that the SWF 'problem' is at least a bit overblown, and that you can't fairly address SWF directly in terms of balance. You can't implement nerfs or handicaps qccording to how many survivors are in a premade group, as this wpuld be a penalty to all SWFs who aren't the high performing ones. At that point, you really are punishing people for playing with their friends.

The only fair solution is to implement survivor tools that emulate the information available via voice chat. The survivor HUD icons were a big step towards that, but more can be done.

• surv43

I have never seen statistics on group matches.

I believe that all the best results that we present need to be multiplied several times, since most of the bad statistics come from playing solo, while the best results come from playing in a group.

Also, I have not seen the survival rate of solo players against different killers.

The only correct solution would be not to disadvantage group players in any way and not to reward solo players by giving them physical advantages. And the solution to the problem of bad matches is to make it possible to have a separate rank for solo play and for playing in a group, and also set up the selection of a maniac so that the survivors have either a chance to gain rank or run all available generators in most matches.

the result would be that solo rank plays with weak maniacs and groups play with strong ones, or something in between with a mixed team.

• Archol123

The system already works in the way that is able to properly call out the result of a match before it happened, it is quiete good at that according to the devs, the only issue is that it most of the time cannot find good matches... So how exactly would you get rid of the error without having more players in the game? Because that is the main issue, you don't have enough players of equal skill to get good matchmaking all across the board.

• Wowie
    Wowie Member Posts: 571

What? Do you think you should get kills for free or something?