fellow killers: let's always tunnel until the devs do something about it

luvcraft
luvcraft Member Posts: 1,233

I hate getting tunneled when I play as survivor, and I'm sure everyone else does too, which is why I always try to be nice as killer and go out of my way to NOT tunnel. And I appreciate other killers who do that too. But it occurs to me that by being nice we're being counterproductive; if tunneling isn't constantly happening, then survivors aren't running into it and complaining about it as much, so the devs aren't pressured to fix it. Whereas if EVERY killer was constantly tunneling, the survivor players would all be up in arms about it and something would get done.

Comments

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105

I dont hate this idea, maybe i considere it. The problem tho is that i like to have a challange and this would simply ruin this.

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,494

I have though about same but well I can't do it every game. Eventually I feel bad for survivors.

• Raconteurminator
    Raconteurminator Member Posts: 618

Ah, the old 'X thing is bad and no-one should do it, but it's fine for us to do it because reasons.' If you want to tunnel, tunnel. Don't dress it up as anything other than it is. I promise you, no-one cares enough to judge you for tunnelling.

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,946

Gotcha.

I've been waiting for this.

Now I git you you filthy blight main!!!

We pig mains won't stand for this kind of behaviour and therefor demand nerfs to the nightmare.

• Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,735

You can't really fix tunneling, period.

You would have to make the unhooked Survivor take like 3 health states with perma haste to really discourage it aka make them like a running tank (would be abused too).

Also sometimes tunneling is the only right option the killer has in some difficult situation. I bet if they would truely suddenly tunneling be gone, winrate on some (weaker / mid tier) killers would drop below 50%.

You can't expect every killer to play nice and fair on every map againts every team in every situation, that is like living in a dream world.

• Raconteurminator
    Raconteurminator Member Posts: 618

You're right, Pig mains won't stand for it! You're usually crouched in a corner for a start.

*audience laughs*

• AddanDeith
    AddanDeith Member Posts: 54

in every killer movie they kill everyone 1 by 1

this playerbase being so extremely sensitive about it is really something I don't get. Someone gotta tell survs losing isn't supposed to be fun

• I_Cant_Loop
    I_Cant_Loop Member Posts: 389

How about this instead: let people play they want to play and don't make this game so incredibly miserable for killer players that they all leave and get replaced by bots? I guess maybe that would make the players who never play killer happy.

If you're getting tunneled out every single match, maybe you need to work on not getting caught first or you need to equip more anti-tunnel perks. If you're not the one being tunneled then it should be an easy escape for you if you're doing gens efficiently.

• Redundis
    Redundis Member Posts: 7

The only two times I will tunnel is when survivors are so good at hiding, I can't find them. Usually draws the others out. Then I can get them off gens. I try my hardest not to, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to secure at least 1 sacrifice.

Other being when a survivor really wants it, like tbag mid chase, flashlight clicks etc. They are literally asking for it and honestly I think they get a thrill out of being chased.

I would say about ~97% of my matches I don't need to though and try to be fair. 4ks are nice but I consider 2 sacrifices to be a win in my book.

• Avo
    Avo Member Posts: 190

Yes dear killers, please tunnel me in-game it'll be more fun than the gen kicking!

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

The problem with "playing nice" is, that someone would expect a nice chat after the match. Or maybe a thx. But the best case szenario you get is everyone instantly leaving the chat, without even saying gg. Worst case szenario "reported for farming, enjoy your ban".

Which kinda makes people not want to play "nice" and play just how they want to play.

• AddanDeith
    AddanDeith Member Posts: 54

You can say false all you want, yet nothing I said is false. Games tend to stop being fun when you start losing and it's not my opinion, it's a fact.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,613

I'd rather play well and try to win, personally.

• I_Cant_Loop
    I_Cant_Loop Member Posts: 389

Wow you sound really amazing at the game! You should stream - I bet you'd make a lot of money

• Cole4999
    Cole4999 Member Posts: 2

Tunneling needs to stop me and my boyfriend totally agree about that me and him both play dead by daylight and we both play Survivor and killer and I read some of other people's comments and I don't appreciate you guys tunneling when survivors have left your Terror radius and I really hope that dead by daylight does do something about this that way you guys can no longer tunnel just like you can't stand close to the hooks anymore for too long otherwise we can free ourselves so I'm sure they will do something about tunneling when they figure it out sorry to say tunnelers, maybe what they'll do is they'll make us invincible so you can hit us a bunch of times and we won't fall down until you have hit another Survivor or knocked them down I think that's what should happen because it's upsetting a lot of people for sure oh and another thing if you choose to not hook us and stand over us as we're in a dying state because we have some kind of perk that prevents you from being able to put us on to the hook then dead by daylight should also give the last person alive the ability to recover from a dying state whether if you stand over our bodies or leave us to bleed out for to long and then you can't knock us back down and we can open up the exit gate and leave

• Hunkulese
    Hunkulese Member Posts: 422
    edited November 2023

Tunnelling's only an issue with SWF. If you're playing solo queue, a lot of people are hoping to get tunneled. Being chased is a lot more fun than sitting on a gen.

If it's really that big of an issue for you, throw on a few of the numerous anti-tunnelling perks.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

I hoping its here to stay, I dont want guranteed safety at any moment while playing survivor. Forced safety at its worst is abusable and at best just creates windows of boredom.

• SweetbutaPsycho
    SweetbutaPsycho Member Posts: 254

If the devs add an anti tunnel Feature they would probably need to change some fundamentals of the game balance.

Some matches are literary only winable especially in higher mmr because u have the option to strategically tunnel someone out when they are in a bad position or the weakest link.

Not necessarily fair but true. Just adding an anti tunnel feature would make these matches pretty much impossible to win and probably lead to even more blights and nurses than we already have.

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,862

In that link someone posted survivors “camp generators”. In fact the link takes you directly to their comment. I dunno what they meant by that

• Chaosrider
    Chaosrider Member Posts: 489

killers already did this for the past years. nothing changed.

• Unknown2765
    Unknown2765 Member Posts: 2,295

"I hate when people do this, So lets all do this"

• Its really not the developers responsibility how you choose to be as a person, its completley up to you.

Ever herd about "Leading by an example" ?

• lav3
    lav3 Member Posts: 758

There was no reason to not tunnel in DbD ever anyway.

Tunneling won't get changed and will become more prevalent.

• CatnipLove
    CatnipLove Member Posts: 1,006

The amount of times a killer hard tunnels some new player out of the match at five gens is ridiculous. The killer won't even hook me after I get downed body blocking for them. This was like 1:30 into the match. This was some dude running a full meta build, with all the DLC trimmings against some poor baby Meg with two green perks.

BHVR, if you want this game to be a disgusting sweatfest, then add comms and enforce strict matchmaking so new players aren't fed to killer players who will tunnel them out in less than two minutes. If you don't want that, then maybe reconsider encouraging killers to harrass one survivor till they are dead, instead of spreading their attention around.

Before anyone fills their diaper, no I'm not telling BHVR to gut killer, I'm telling them to rebalance the game. Make targetting one survivor less effective at securing a victory and make spreading hooks substantially more effective.

• Pink_Ronin
    Pink_Ronin Member Posts: 118

Basekit OTR + Unbreakable + DS for recently unhooked survivors. Problem solved

• biggybiggybiggens
    biggybiggybiggens Member Posts: 659
    edited November 2023

Not sure what you mean. I've been giving out an easy fix to the tunneling solution for awhile now. All you do is make it so the Entity won't accept the same Survivor twice. Period. Upon trying to hook the same person twice you will see a message that states, "The Entity wants a fresh sacrifice, go find a new Survivor to hook." (Something like that) This would actually force you to go after a new person. There would be no way at all to tunnel unless you wanted to just stare at them on the floor. xD BHVR won't make this change as it might actually be good for the game..

I guarantee you they make a change like this and you'd start to see the tunneling slow down pretty damn quick.

• Iron_Cutlass
    Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 3,173
    edited November 2023

I feel like anytime I go into a thread, I see you telling someone that they "dont have skill" or some other flurry of insults.

I get your points but it's a matter of perspective; what you call "not skillful" might be skillful to someone else, and vice versa.

Im really tired of hearing/seeing stuff like this since I think it only serves to make people feel bad about how they play a game by denouncing how good or bad they are, and this only serves to create a toxic environment and mindset within the community.

Im not asking much, but please be a bit more respectful when discussing these types of topics.

• biggybiggybiggens
    edited November 2023

It'd better than it is now. Slugging is much easier to fix. In all honesty Killers would always try to find a new way to make 1 person suffer, but I still haven't seen a better idea to end tunneling for good other than what I've suggested.

• Evan_
    Evan_ Member Posts: 547

"Remedy?"

You give the impression that you are going to come up with basekit solutions for every tactic until the only single way to eliminate survivors is 12 hooks in perfect order.

I'm happy that the devs are the devs and not some random forum people.

• biggybiggybiggens
    edited November 2023

Fixed. There you go. Regardless, I'd argue that when most people get tunneled, it certainly doesn't make them want to keep playing them game. The option to hook the same person twice shouldn't even be a thing. Give people an inch and they take a mile. The whole tunneling situation could benefit from a more structured ecosystem.

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105
    edited November 2023

Okay i did it one game but that was really horrible. Felt sorry for the survivors, and i got my well deserved rage in post game chat.

If by any chance you read this, yes it was me and i appolgise. I explained the situation and what i was trying to do and refered to this post. Again, sorry for that game, wont happen again.

I'm already done with this bullshit 😓

• Hunkulese
    Hunkulese Member Posts: 422
    edited November 2023

That's not an easy fix and would be an awful, awful solution. Can you really not see the problem with a survivor being able to do whatever they want without having to worry about being hooked? It would also be miserable for new survivors since they'd just be getting slugged.

One thing they could do, that isn't also without its problems, would be to make every unhooked survivor invulnerable until they do something. They'd have to remove their collision, but it could be something.

That being said, tunneling isn't actually a problem unless you're in a SWF.

• ironligma
    ironligma Member Posts: 119

No. It's boring

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 5,445

I think just wait and see what the MMR changes do. Those that tunnel will presumably end up putting themselves in a higher bracket than they should be and tunneling suddenly won't be as efficient when higher skilled survivors can just run them for 5 gens. Hiding prestige levels will help too as they won't be able to shop for easier opponents, so hopefully BHVR implements that too. They don't need to eliminate tunnelling, just make it not worth it in the long run.