Surrender option is a MUST in this tunnelling meta

Gastongard
Gastongard Member Posts: 139
edited November 2023 in Feedback and Suggestions

The tittle says all. I played 15 games between yesterday and today. Out of those 15 matches, in 12 someone was tunnelled at 4-5 gens, leaving teams of 3 survivor of which in only 4 games we tried to do the best til the end, in the other 11 games, the next survivor hooked just gave up and sacrificed themselves on hook. Whats the point of playing like that? For both sides, its just a waste of time.

What would be the pros and cons of having a surrender system like many games does? Example, League of Legends.

It could work once the first survivor dies, and for the killer side once a few gens gets done instead of go and face a corner if they feel outplayed.

A surrender option would also end the so tedious hide and seek game that usually happens in a 2v1, where matches can go up to 20-25 min because the killer cannot find any survivor.

What are your thoughts on this?

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• jonifire
    jonifire Member Posts: 1,437
    edited November 2023

That‘s the outcome of the Anti- face camping now the killer doesn‘t stay at the hook, where he just cared about one hanging on a hook, you could still traide and buy time.

Now they only tunnel.

I would like it as perk (AFC), then it would happen more often, that you can free yourself.

• AKLOP
    AKLOP Applicant Posts: 1

I don't mind being tunneled, but it's not usually me being tunneled out and I only play solo, and with such poor matchmaking it's tough.

I'll happily throw myself in front of the killer and even go down for my team mates, but they'll just continue the tunnel, even if I'm bleading out. If it was just one or two games, okay. But it's almost every game. Either rebalance the game once one survivor has been tunneled out, or give survivors a decent perk, to have a fighting chance.

I've been playing for a good few years, both killer and survivor (about 3500k hours) but I've had to take a long break away, I even closed my forum account a year ago. It's not just the tunneling thing, I'm confused about the direction the Devs are taking the game. (Skull merchant pre & post rework, Onryo rework, Knight etc) I mean how did this Trickster rework even make it to PTB? Didn't they test it out themselves before hand? Chucky will be the second DLC I haven't bothered with.

Anyway, I hope it gets better. It was a lifesaver during COVID. I'd love for it to be balanced again. Hopefully see y'all in the fog in the future.

• Vanishlord
    Vanishlord Member Posts: 555

5 second DS has a very high chance of solving the tunneling meta if DS became meta again.

• Unknown2765
    Unknown2765 Member Posts: 2,389

Well, if it have a cooldown, so you dont have unlimmited surrenders.

As it is today, even with DC punishment if :

• People dont like the killer = DC
    • People dont like the map = DC
    • People getting downed as the first one = DC
    • People failing in mindgames = DC 

Unlimited surrenders would be abused.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,467

perks should not fix fundamental design problems, they should be fixed via game mechanics so you aren't forced to buy a DLC to deal with the problem.

• adsads123123123123
    adsads123123123123 Member Posts: 1,132

Yes. There should be one. Most competitive games have a surrender feature. DBD shouldn't be an exception.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,467

I agree, they need to do something about survivors tunneling gens so hard.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

Nope, play til the end. Quitters can just think twice before starting a match or take the dc penalty.

• squbax
    squbax Member Posts: 1,469

You say this but taking into account efficient tunneling is focusing the weak link I do not think 5 seconds will be enough for a bad player to escape tunneling. It will like old times, people who are decent will have a good antitunneling perk and bad players will be defenseless, which is pointless because if you are tunneling you should go for the weakest player anyways.

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,393

Been for this for a long time now.

• CatnipLove
    CatnipLove Member Posts: 1,006

It's on BHVR to fix this. They created a game where the most effective strategy is for the killer to find the weakest player and harrass them till they are dead and can no longer contribute to the match. Will they fix it? No. They can't even release a patch without breaking half the game. How could they possibly fix something as complex as this?

• Gastongard
    Gastongard Member Posts: 139

But in my head it wouldnt work as pressing Surrender and thats it, you need to get to a mayority of votes like League of Legends, otherwise yes its a free dc and thats not the point. The point should be getting a consensus between the players alive, if you have 3 players, with 2 positives votes out of 3 then its a surrender, so you are not held hostage by one person whos not willing to let go.

• TSQuint
    TSQuint Member Posts: 88

I haven't played since Halloween and before that it was September. Not only because of what is mentioned in this post, but the already horrid community with awful sportsmanship. Change after change after change after change on perks, maps, offerings, add ons, everything. The game is a shell of what it used to be but it's built up enough of a player base that they can thumb their nose at regulars with things they didn't ask for.

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,475

While I do think that DS should be buffed back up to 5 seconds, lets not pretend it would fix tunnelling. Tunnelling would still be heavily prevalent and will always be unless they outright prevent it.

• DyingWish92
    DyingWish92 Member Posts: 772

It's also a waste of time going into games wanting to go for loads of chases and the game ends in 6 minutes from gens being done at blink speed.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,750

You really want to make solo queue that miserable? I don't think that's a good idea.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,932

Yeah, people act like old DS was effective, but killers still tunneled even when the stun was longer on top of not being deactivated by conspicuous actions.

Tunnelers gonna tunnel, and frankly I actually lol'ed a bit when I read "tunneling meta". It always has been, at least no less than it is now. You can mitigate it a bit, but tunneling is a player problem, a sort of ideological defect, more than a game design problem.

You could make the DS stun 10 seconds and a player who just has it out for you is gonna find you and continue, even if they throw the game to do it.

FWIW, I'd make the DS stun 7 seconds and/or add in an "orange glyph" type handicap for a set time, but have zero expectation it would "end tunneling". That's never gonna happen.

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,162
  • Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 5,535
    edited November 2023

Can't see it happening. Because it assumes that everyone plays to escape and we know some people don't. Some people play for tome challenges, some play for dailies, some to meme around, some play for bp or try out new builds. Also, as anyone who has played this game long-term can attest to, a few gens popping early or one person dying early does not mean the game is 100% lost. Many players can and do get a snowball going in their favour.

Take advantage of perks. If your weakness is chase or gen pressure then bring perks to help with that. If you're getting tunnelled alot then come prepared for it.

• Unknown2765
    Unknown2765 Member Posts: 2,389
    edited November 2023

What would stop a SWF from abusing it?

When i was a killer main, i have been held hostage by survivors after killing 1-2, and then the rest hide in lockers, or crouch around the edges of the map. I have had this going for 25 mins or more in some cases.

As a survivor i have yet to experience a killer taking the game hostage, i have always been able to go to the killer and surrender or fix a gen.

So i really dont see this button as a needed thing, just go to the killer and let them kill you = surrender.

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 4,037

I'd even go as far to that they want you even more out of the game at this point. Why do killers tunnel?

Some are doing it for malicious reasons.

A majority in my opinion do it to match the efficiency of good survivors and Gen speed. Making the killer eat ds (especially a 5 second one) makes this time problem even more prevalent. What will they do then? They wasted massive time and got nothing. Of course they will try to get the survivor out as fast as possible now.

You can't just punish tunneling, you have to reward an alternative playstyle.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904

Exactly this it just opens the flood gates for the rage quitters.

A 3 person team hasn't lost the game yet. If the killer was targeting another player then 2-3 gens should get done in that time. 3 players at 2 gens is not an auto losing scenario. But try and convince the defeatists among us of that.

• rha
    rha Member Posts: 418

It would be better to design the game so that it can’t be so completely pointless to keep on playing because the outcome is already clear shortly after the start of the match, or balance the game so that you can’t run into endless loss streaks (particularly speaking about solo queue here) because the occasional bad match is unavoidable and should be fine, it is the sheer amount of them that’s the problem (for me at least). But that’s not going to happen so I would support this idea.

Yesterday I had a match with a tombstone Myers who removed someone from the match with 5 gens left. Other than me nobody had touched a gen yet. I tried to spam a vault to let him kill me and get out, but he just wanted to stalk, obviously, and then left me, so I had to DC to get into another match quickly which I normally never do. Would have been awesome to have a surrender option instead.

Wouldn’t even mind if that would count as a mori for the killer if he brings tombstone, I don’t want to cheat the killer out of potential achievement/challenge progress, I just want to get into a fair match quicker.