Gen Speeds are SUPER FAST.

DyingWish92
DyingWish92 Member Posts: 772
edited December 2023 in Feedback and Suggestions

I played 10 solo queue survivor games today, escaped in 8 of them. Gens got done very quickly in most of them. The 2 games I died in was to a tombstone Myers who insta killed me and a Nurse who tunneled me out of the game. Actual tunneling not what everyone crys about with tunneling. Outside of that very little challenge. Half the games I don't even see the killer until 1 or 2 gens are left. Feels like every 3 out of 4 survivors have adrenaline and killer just gets rolled all the way. Checked the build in these games and many of them don't even have toolboxes. A random Gen speed up perk here and there but nothing crazy.

I switched over to killer and the situation pretty much stayed the same. You simply cannot play an M1 killer at whatever MMR I'm at. I'm not a god at killer but I'm also not bad. I understand spreading pressure around the map, pressuring gens, dropping chase when someone is wasting my time. There simply is just not enough time to do anything with most of the killers in this game. Not bringing Corrupt Intervention just feels like a death sentence especially if you don't find your first chase within the first 30 seconds. Multiple gens are being worked on at the start because the survivors are smart and it's basically GG, god forbid someone brings buckle up and ftp combo or hooks start getting saboed.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• Sava18
    Sava18 Member Posts: 2,439

I really don't get hard m1 killer players, it's boring for both sides unless the survivors have a ego issue.

It's actually wild to me how unoften people split on gens on the beginning. It's so simple and so free. Prove isn't even a come back in that regard anymore.

• OrangeBear
    OrangeBear Member Posts: 2,640

Pretty much the same for me. I am using my best loadouts possible on Trickster, Legion, Xenomorph. I think my average hook count is probably 5 in the couple hours i have been playing today.

I am playing my absolute best it's not enough to stop all the gens from being done.

I'm honestly okay with it though because i think the games should be close. Before this MMR change too many of games were too easy and then i got the rare game that felt impossible.

The problem is though loadout variety has taken a nose dive. There is no wiggle room to use anything but the best things. The game is going to get boring with no variety.

Can the developers really balance this out? I think it will be extremely difficult.

I think they have three options :

1. Work on balancing all loadout options. This would take a hell of a lot of time and work.
    2. Increase the skill range of the matchmaking. This would mean the skill difference between players in the match would be larger which would allow the better players to not have to play as hard. Essentially this would be reverting the MMR change.
    3. Remove SBMM and go to having no matchmaking at all or go back to ranked based matchamking OR a new type of matchmaking.

I believe they are going to attempt to do the first one.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 5,437

I've been using Overzealous + Inner Strength + Counterforce with a map (red twine and odd stamp add ons) and I've been having really good games and yeah, gens are actually getting done. It's likely an effect of the recent MMR changes, but I feel like I save time or at least am using it more efficiently with this build. Team mates don't have to jump off gens to heal me, I get decent gen progression (especially with hex totems), and the map means I don't waste time searching for totems and Counterforce lets me cleanse them faster. Plus I can find gens in late game much easier.

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,828

But high MMR survivors do gens faster so won't that just make the issue more common?

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,970

I feel like my games have been faster

I consistently get games that are done in 8 or 10 minutes

• moulesfrites
    moulesfrites Member Posts: 84

Survivors rarely or never miss a skill check which also accounts for gen rushing

• CLHL
    CLHL Member Posts: 153

The main problem is the current gen regression meta, it's pointless to equip those perks unless you are already stomping from the very start. The current meta doesn't slow down the game at all, on the contrary, it makes the games more one-sided.

Survivors who have a bad start have the impression that it's impossible to finish an gen, but killers who take too long getting their downs will get no value from them. This makes weak chase killers even weaker.

• CorvusCorax86
    CorvusCorax86 Member Posts: 1,064

Just had a match where I equipped Pain Res and Pop and I was able to quickly use up all the hooks for Pain Res. Lost Pop once or twice due to a decision to chase instead.

Survivors were fast, nonetheless. The end result was a 3K but the 3rd survivor I caught while running towards the gate. This individual was also very close to me when bringing survivors to the hooks (I always heard footsteps but she never had a flashlight for any kind of save). In fact, to stop one survivor from being sacrificed all gathered at one hook and this made me drop Renato. But got 2 hits. This helped with subsequent chases as the majority of the team was injured.

I felt I was able to apply pressure constantly and hook positions were in my favour. Because there was a "gathering" (see above) and one surv was wasting time following me (I never stopped for a hit) I found it alarming that they managed to do all the gens.

• Astel
    Astel Member Posts: 650
    edited December 2023

I mean, why you got score event for damaging generator then if gens are not objectives for killers?

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,331

It's tied to the Gatekeeper emblem. With the same mindset, unhooking teammates isn't an objective to the survivors... but we both know your emblem would suffer, as would your overall success.

• LordGlint

You ever mix up your killer abit? Each killer tracks a different MMR, so swapping to a different killer you don't normally play can provide a bit of relief as long as their toolkit isn't SUPER unique (Going from Myers to Pig as opposed to going from Myers to Nurse).

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,558

Nah, I basically only play Freddy.

If I were to mix up, it would be from Freddy to Hag, I suppose.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

Thats something normal. During every event where survivors just have to finish gens, the gens fly like there´s no tomorrow.

After the event stops, gens usually slow a bit down.

Its always amazing to see how fast gens can really go.

• LordGlint

Hag doesn't play like Freddy. She's fun, but the skillset you've learned doesn't really transfer. Maybe try Clown... just a suggestion. He's a 115% killer like Freddy who's power can also be used to shut down loops on the go.

• GeneralV

No way I'm using Clown again, not after the hell it was to take him to P3.

Freddy and Hag are my favorites, but I'm not sure where in the MMR abyss my Hag is. I'll just have to find out, I suppose.

• LordGlint

You're missing the point... I'm not advising you to swap to another Killer you've played alot. Any killer you've spent time on has its own MMR established. Killers you HAVEN'T tried yet...don't. Their baseline MMR is going to assume you're a little better than a complete newbie.

• I'd like to know where these genrushers are at because in my lobbies it takes 4 minutes for the first gen to pop. Absolutely no one is pushing objective.

• GeneralV

Ah, now I get it!

Though I don't think there is a killer I haven't tried yet that I am interested in.

• DyingWish92

Dude I don't know where you're coming up with this. These killers are horrible. Trapper, Myers, Freddy, Ghostface, Legion. The pace that survivors are working at chases are just to long even when you manage a quicker chase. The lack of movement speed and any form of slowdown in their kits is really killing these "killers." Corrupt feels needed and some type of snow ball needs to happen.

• DyingWish92

I'm very self aware of how long I'm chasing. I try not to chase one survivor for more then 30 seconds or let's say 2 pallets. It doesn't matter. I'm talking about M1 killers for the most part. Drop chase and try and find someone else which sometimes takes 30 seconds by itself with the lack of movement speed and map size. It doesn't matter someone is always on a gen somewhere.

• LordGlint

You don't have to find a new main. Just saying to try screwing around with a new 115% killer for the day. You might end up even being surprised and liking it. I've had THAT experience more than once.

• LordGlint

What platform do you play on? It's easier to show rather than just chat on the forums.

• Xendritch
    Xendritch Member Posts: 1,842

That's more of a problem with those killers than m1 killers in general.

Which like bottom tier killers are bottom tier yes but m1 killers power level are all over the place and the good to great ones are well positioned right now with no DH or MfT in the meta.

• GeneralV

I'll keep this in mind, and if anyone sparks my interest I will try.

• Astel
    Astel Member Posts: 650

I think that damaging generator is the small objective for bigger objective, which is the final goal of the killer: sacrificing survivors. This means killers should not let survivors escape. How does survivors escape? By repairing gens. How will you stop survivors doing this? By regressing gens.

Personally I think breaking walls and pallets are also part of the objectives since it is the natural process of chasing survivors. And the reason why escaping/sacrificing survivors give the highest points would be because it is the ultimate and final goal for themselves.

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,475

I keep saying that this is what happens when survivors actually do gens. Weirdly enough the game isn't actually balanced around survivors efficiently doing gens.

And yeah in many games, especially at lower MMR that's fine. People are doing archives, they're messing around teabagging at each other, they're hiding in lockers or behind rocks the second they hear the terror radius, or they're simply spending time looking for gens.

The moment 4 survivors focus on doing gens as efficiently as possible though, they time unhooks well and don't spend needless time hanging around waiting for the killer, they get right back on gens the second the killer leaves them, they know where all the gens tend to spawn and beeline for another the moment they finish one, then gens just pop really quickly.

This isn't even an issue of toolboxes or perks, you can have 4 survivors not bring anything that speeds gens up, they need only actually focus on doing gens quickly and balance kinda falls apart.

Not much BHVR can do about it though because if they make gens take longer basekit, then solo queue is even more miserable. Gens can take an age to complete as it is in certain games.

• AmpersandUnderscore
    AmpersandUnderscore Member Posts: 1,673

You're misunderstanding.

I'm using 'objective' to mean 'the primary goal that everything you do in game should be aimed towards'. In that sense, pallets (and gens) are not the most important thing in the world for the killer. Everything the killer does should be helping them kill survivors, and everything survivors do should be helping them escape.

It feels like you're using 'objective' as 'something you can do in the game'. Which is just an 'activity', not a goal.

• LordGlint

If your goal is just to kill people, getting 4 slugs after the survivors finished all the gens in record time and everyone dying on first hook is the same as 4 ppl dying after 12 hooks and 0 gens getting done.

If your goal is for emblems, gens matter. It's more important to chase the guy on a gen than the guy on a dull totem. It's good to pick who to chase rather than going after the first thing you see and insisting you'll just end your chase super fast and get around to that other guy in time.

• LordGlint
  • Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,587
    edited December 2023

I know how to pressure survivors. But the comment "jUsT PResSurE gEnS" has persisted for years. It does not work that way. There is no easy way to slow the game. The only way to stall is to either play for a 3 gen, which is getting nerfed (good thing but still) or play like normal. That however requires you to play against the survivors and if they aren't bad (or at least do the bare minimum) you are in a tough spot.

Gens don't slow down just because you walk around the map. They don't slow down much even when you chase a survivor. 3 survivors still easily outpace you. Hell, one survivor on gens almost outpaces you, if the others are at least somewhat capable.

Now to your suggestions:

Are you mind gaming the appropriate loops?

This is impossible to answer because on one hand, every survivor might fall for different mind games around different loops and on the other hand, you don't get to mind game anyway when the survivor pre drops and makes distance, which is a very popular play style.

Are you breaking pallets from the correct side?

Doesn't matter for most pallets because there are only very few secluded loops. Most connect into at least 2 more on either side. On the ones, that do matter; of course. That is one of the first things you learn as a killer.

Are you familiar with which loops are 'weak' or 'strong' so you can only break the pallets that you need to break?

Again, if the survivor pre drops and maintains distance, it doesn't matter at all, which pallets are weak or strong (as long as they aren't Ormond table level of pallets). Most pallets, you need to break anyway. Even if you can get a hit around a loop in 10 seconds, that is still too much time. It's better to break the pallet after you get the hit / down and then move on, so nobody else can use it. Otherwise you will never create dead zones, which overall doesn't help you speed up chases and puts you in a losing position.

Do you know which breakable walls are helpful or even mandatory to break early? And which ones to avoid breaking as much as possible?

Easy. 90% of them are no brainers and not situational at all. You always know, if you want to break them or not. That is pretty easy to know. The exception are the 2 breakable walls on the second floor of Dead Dawg's main building that open an actual infinite. That can happen to very inexperienced killers. But only once. Because they will remember that.

Are you zoning in general, or just blindly following the survivor in chase?

Pre drop + Shift + W is quite hard to zone. There are no shortcuts for a straight line, as long as you don't sudddenly use a different field to build the room upon, which I'm pretty sure would be considered cheating. 😜 I mean, you'd literally teleport, if you were to use a finite field.

Apart from that, it's one of the first things you need to learn as a killer, so chances are most of us know how to do that. Maybe not the Nurse only players but the rest of us need to follow the rules of this game.

Are you looping tightly or taking very wide corners?

Again, something you need to learn when you start out playing. Otherwise, you'll have trouble catching anyone.

Are you giving them 2.7 seconds of head start in chase?

Yes. Definitely. I always do that. Because 10.8 metres only take take 18 seconds for me to catch up. No big deal and you definitely don't get across the entire map. Come on, this is basic killer knowledge. It's as if you were asking, if survivors stand still until the killer gets the first on them.

And most importantly, are you actually trying to get better at chase, or are you just throwing up your hands and blaming the flavor of the month perk for your problems instead?

Finally, a valid question. I cannot speak for everyone but I try to improve in chase but I also know that there are things you do not counter with skill. Shift + W and pre drops cannot be countered by mind games or a triple spinning backflip over the main building as much as I'd like that. You just run after them until you finally catch up, which often takes too long for me to commit to the chase.

So I end up switching targets a lot and try to apply pressure until something has to give. It works for the most part but when the gens are done in less than 5 minutes, then you don't have much of a chance to win by hooks. Even if you are the most cracked killer in the world, getting 12 hooks in 5 minutes is not realistic.

It is true though, that some people (on both sides) will always find a perk, killer, addon, item, map or whatever else to blame their own mistakes on, which greatly holds them back.

• tjt85
    tjt85 Member Posts: 844
    edited December 2023

I wish I had the escape rate that some of you guys seem to boast. I've not escaped for a good 15-20 games (unless you count a Huntress on Lery's with only one yellow perk equipped but I don't). Even had a few games where I maxed out my boldness points by running the Killer for what must have been worth at least a gen or two. Did anyone touch a gen in the time that I bought the team? No, no they did not.

I 've gone from escaping a decent amount to almost never making it out of my Survivor games. Meanwhile, my Killer games have been much easier. Some long waits to get into a game even when the 100% BP incentive is up. It's weird. It's like my games have made a complete 180% turn to how they were when the MMR was first tweaked. I don't know what's going on.

• AmpersandUnderscore
    AmpersandUnderscore Member Posts: 1,673

My questions aren't really for you per se. I'm trying to give helpful tips to anyone who would be reading the thread and struggling.

Most of those suggestions are completely mind blowing for many of the players on this forum because, as you seem to agree, the fact that people aren't trying to improve is probably the biggest issue plaguing the game, and there's no real good solution for that either.

• DrDucky
    DrDucky Member Posts: 675

I am on around a 10 win streak with clown without corrupt and my mmr is decently high for killer overall. It is really not as hard as you think once you actually learn the game.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,587

I get that. But most of these things are so basic that you can assume a killer will do that in their sleep.

The problem is that many players know the basics, but have no clue about any of the intricacies of the killer's power. For example, it's not hard to play Bubba, walk up to a survivor and hit them with the chainsaw in a dead zone. But actually playing around loops takes a lot more practice than that. You'll need to account for hitboxes, know the timing of the charges, mind game and run loop right all at the same time. Something else that I've seen of in many players is the understanding of the game's 1v4 aspect. You can be pretty terrible in chase as a survivor and still win. Just as you can sometimes lose 3 gens for nothing and still come back. This is also something that I noticed with Otzdarva. He is not always the best with each killer in the 1v1 (only natural when you don't focus on a single killer) but his 1v4 is on point and allows him to come back when it looks like he should lose.

You'd also be surprised by the amount of survivors that dodge a Hillbilly's chainsaw but then stun him in his recovery. Mind boggling. You waste a pallet and give him a faster recovery.

The actual point of this thread was a discussion about gen speeds and the overall pace of the game. Gen speeds are not the issue per se. But the relatively unsafe killer meta (slowdown only works when you get hooks) and the current survivor meta (no defensive perks, pure efficiency) at the same time lead to match times that are overall way too short for my liking. You feel that especially when survivors play a bit safe. They don't need to loop. Pre dropping will do the job just fine. At the same time you have many killers, that tunnel by default because it works. It's more efficient than going for many hooks and there is nothing to stop them. Nobody runs DS or OTR these days. Both of these play styles allow one side to speed up the game drastically, which then forces the other to follow suit.

The ideal meta would be a mix of efficiency and slow down / second chance / chase perks for both sides.

• pale_hispanic
    pale_hispanic Member Posts: 149

I made a post like this a couple weeks ago and I think I now know the reason why gens fly so fast now. There is just no reason to do anything but gens atm. Healing was the main “secondary objective” and it’s just more viable ignore it then it was before. Too many things punish healing (sloppy butcher, slow self-healing, having to group up) and too many things reward staying injured (resilience, adrenaline). There is also the age old problem of massive map sizes which I doubt will ever be fixed.

• DyingWish92

I have 4,000 hours in the game id guess probably 2500 to 3000 are on killer. Please stop with the "once you learn how to play the game" nonsense. This is the gaslighting that goes on in this community. I know how to play, when I get into an unwinnable game I know. I can try everything and still lose. I'm not a fan of hardcore tunneling people off hook either, it's boring. So that takes the easiest avenue to victory away because I don't care to play that way. I'm happy for you that you have 10 wins in a row with Clown, good for you.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,430

"Survivors are usually not healing because focusing on gens is more effective strat atm."

They are also not healing because killers are still camping and tunneling for reasons that have nothing to do with gen speed.

• Ariel_Starshine
    Ariel_Starshine Member Posts: 937

This is the answer here. They made it so there is literally no point in doing anything else anymore.

Ngl, I also find it boring. I miss when hexes and boons were fun, there was a reason to find totems. Finding chests was great when items were more useful.

Now all that's left is generators. Unhook, heal, move on.

Ppl used to not touch a gen injured, now they do. So that adds to them being done even faster.

Run botany/resilience/dejavu/adrenaline and you're all set.

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277

there need to be better reason for survivors to find totems and Finding chests the drops in chest should be better more offend.