If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

We need killer-based MMR

Options
Halloulle
Halloulle Member Posts: 1,067
edited January 8 in Feedback and Suggestions

What prompted that thought on my end: Another discussion on Dredge being put in C-Tier by Otz and how he needs buffs had me thinking "yeah, right, because I see the Dredge so often I would absolutely know how to deal with him if he gets those buffs /s". I see Dredge maybe once every 50-80 hours of playing survivor, maybe even less frequently. I had one yesterday and can't even remember the one before that; definitely not in January or December.

But is that the Dredge's fault? No. - On the other hand, it doesn't matter if a survivor has high or low MMR; if they don't know the ins and outs of that specific killer it's as if they are low MMR - bottom mid at best, if we make the argument that overall experience and general game sense has a decent impact on the overall match. (We can also see that whenever a new killer releases; the first few weeks are marked by two things: oversaturation and exceptionally high killrates)

This might in fact be why to the devs the Dredge and other killers look perfectly fine: They have an overall decent killrate. Not because they're in a good spot but because very few people know what to do. It's easy to win against survs who don't know about the killer specific things they need to do.

Which brings me to the title of the post: The best way I can think of to remedy that situation is, if survivors have an MMR for each killer. That way killers will receive buffs if their kit is indeed too weak if matched against somewhat equally skilled survivors since their killrates aren't inflated from going against, de facto, inexperienced survivors.

Comments

• Sometimes_Sage
    Sometimes_Sage Member Posts: 143
    Options

Kill rates don't show where problems might be; Killer-specific MMR ensures that every killer that has some realistic potential to kill Survivor without being unbeatable will gravitate to the same kill rate.

• Halloulle
    Options

With all due respect - but playing against an Oni and a Trapper are two completely different things. Some aspects are transferable, very true. You still have to do gens, yes. And you can still block the path with a pallet. It's a bad idea to three gen and a bad idea to get hooked right next to a progressed gen or go down right next to a hooked person. Running into teamies repairing a gen is also a generally bad idea.

But no amount of playing against a skilled Trapper (or Legion or Pig) will help you against a flicking Oni. If you don't know where and under what circumstances Oni can flick and can land frankly absurd hits you'll always sit there with a surprised pikachu face. You'll only know that once you encountered a bunch of Onis who could do that and slowly learned to deal with it. - But as you say: there are many, many killers. It will take survivors a lot of time until they encountered enough killers to learn how to deal with all their kits. Until then their overall MMR just means they'll get stomped match after match after match. And only facing killers who are way out of your league doesn't really help you improve either. (In theory the bumping up and down between killers you already know your way around and killers you don't know your way around should help - but if you face Blight and Wesker disproportionally often, then...well.)

I'm not saying it's easy to do a Killer based MMR - or feasible, honestly. Not neccessarily even because of the complexity (which I for obvious reasons have no clue about) but because of Qtimes. If a very skilled Oni would have to wait until they get matched with survs who have encountered enough Onis to get to their MMR.... they'll probably gonna wait for a very long time.

• Batusalen
    Batusalen Member Posts: 1,210
    edited January 9
    Options

"The best way I can think of to remedy that situation [...]"

Well, I can think of a lot of even better ways to solve it:

• Better in game documentation about every killer.
    • Killer bots so survivors can practice against them.
    • Per killer tutorial to learn how to both play as and against them.
    • Any other idea that is realistically feasible (in other words, not impossible to do) and doesn't imply close to infinitum queue times.

Also, I recommend you look what Skill Based Match Making is and the technical details behind it so you understand why what you are suggesting doesn't make any sense and can simply not be done. Knowing how every killer work and how to play against them is part of getting good at the game.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,557
    Options

I think the real problem here is that really good advice against a Killer isnt something the game gives at all, truth be told you DO have programmed the game to show some messages while loading. but those messages are not sufficient to a survival strategy.

You really SHOULD improve them to helps survivors AND Killers more.

You have fog whisperers and brilliant community experts, Why not ask them to pool game knowledge to make the loading screen tips?

I want to bet you a free next chapter Peanits, if you guys got the community experts together to make some better loading screen tips this game would improve in gameplay standards at least 5 fold.

• Halloulle
    Options

"Knowing how every killer work and how to play against them is part of getting good at the game." Which requires you to have somewhat fair matches against each and every killer, no?

Neither documentation nor tutorials will help there; sure, you can pump the knowledge into your head if you want to treat dbd like a seminar for your college major - but that won't help you with the excution part.

The bots would be an idea - but only if they're actually having an authentic playstyle. Looking at surv bots, that's... questionable.

"Any other idea that is realistically feasible" - patronising much?

--- Granted, maybe the title should have come with a "theoretically" at the front. But titles being somewhat exaggerated/made somewhat more forceful/polarising/assertive isn't exactly a new concept either.

The feasible option of all that? Better than bots. Better than tutorials. Better than documentation. - And better than all matches being based on Killer MMR? A built-in 1v1 mode. I'm certainly no "come shack 1v1"- or "trapper-wraith"-monke but more than once I wished for a base game feature (both as surv and as killer) to have focused practise without having to scour Discord servers for people to practise with.

• Batusalen
    Batusalen Member Posts: 1,210
    edited January 9
    Options

Which requires you to have somewhat fair matches against each and every killer, no?

To acquire that knowledge in first place? Not really, no. If you don't know that The Knight's guards disappear the moment you start to unhook somebody no matter how many matches you play, you probably won't even try to unhook if a guard is near the hook. And even if for some reason you try, you probably would either not notice it or being confused, thinking maybe is a bug or something.

The problem is the lack of detailed documentation about killers, and not having a way to practice against them without having another person playing that killer. Both better documentation / tutorials and a practice mode are needed.

The feasible option of all that? Better than bots. Better than tutorials. Better than documentation. - And better than all matches being based on Killer MMR? A built-in 1v1 mode.

How a 1v1 mode against strangers would help with anything? Because if you want to 1v1 against someone you know to practice in a secure space, you could use custom matchs to do it. Again, the problem here is not having the option to practice without a human playing the killer.

But do you want to know the real best option to really learn how killers work and how to go against them? Playing them. Pick a killer, play a decent amount with him and not only you would learn everything about him (as you would basically need to if you want to do good), you would also learn what works against you so you can do the same against him when playing survivor.

Believe me, it works. Being a killer main did wonders for me when I started playing survivor.

• Cellardoor
    Cellardoor Member Posts: 24
    Options

Yeah, honestly, this. The games gives near nothing for players to work with when it comes to info about killers on the spot.

It's pretty obvious why killers like Sadako, Pinhead and Skull Merchant have the highest kill rates, their gameplay is far from regular.