Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Alternative paths to victory

The hatch used to spawn on the map after a certain number of gens were done/survivors were sacrificed. Why was this ever removed? Having the option of opening the hatch as an alternative means to escape, I feel was a good way of giving the remaining survivors a better chance at escaping.

Also ever since this happened it's made keys completely obsolete, to the point if they were to be removed I don't think anyone would even notice or care. Back in the day I used to get excited finding a key in a chest because it meant I could try to assemble my team for a hatch escape if it looked like we wouldn't be able to finish all the gens.

IMO This change and removing flashlight counters to killer powers (Wraith, Artist, Hag) have contributed to making the survivor gameplay feel stale.

Comments

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,886

But you could do something as a killer besides dodge - Franklin's and tunneling. I don't like to tunnel and almost never do it. But I sure as hell tunneled out people back in those days, and that's why. Lots of killers did. If I saw you with a key in the lobby? You were dead. Multiple keys? Then I dodged.

Just a terrible way to feel like you have to play.

Removing that mechanic and 0/1 hook moris was one of the best things BHVR has done, even if it made the associated items nearly obsolete.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,707

Franklin's didn't work if the survivor was smart, all you had to do was at the start of the match put the key down on the ground somewhere and leave it there until it was time to use it.

You could tunnel the survivor who brought the key, but unless they brought a white ward and died with it in their hand (which removed the item from the match to give it back to them), you couldn't prevent someone else from picking it up after they died. So there was still a key in the game even after you killed them.

Luckily I never actually had to experience the old moris, I started playing not long after they were removed.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,524

The 0 hook moris I didn't get to experience, but the 1 hook moris weren't that bad. There was a certain fear they provided, an apprehension: because if you got caught again, you were dead. Fitting for a game where you should fear the killer.

Well, at least in my experience. But I know they weren't for everyone. Some just found them annoying.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,886

They couldn't come back for it if they don't ever have the opportunity, and they won't get it if you mercilessly drum them out of the game. Yeah, if it was a SWF they could just relay the location, but most matches don't have a full SWF.

As far as the moris, just imagine if every killer could being a tombstone piece, essentially.

Both mechanics essentially let one side deprive the other of a full opportunity to play the game to varying degrees.

• FFirebrandd
    FFirebrandd Member Posts: 2,445

No thanks. Keys with old hatch rules were super stupid.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

Just as @GeneralV said... matches where the Killer spreads out hooks but the Survivors get 4 Gens done hatch spawns in and they all leave

Or where the Survivors Do the Gens and not get caught but when they do they die... just look at Myers Addon complaints

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,582

Yeah 4 man hatch escapes were so fair. /s

• RpTheHotrod
    RpTheHotrod Member Posts: 1,851

I think it fit better back when it was a game of hide and seek.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,474

Well especially now with hatch offerings they should never come back to the game, key + offering can already be right now a decently easy escape now imagine if 2-3 people got out that way instead

• GeneralV

It is an opinion, but I think they still fit. Fear of the killer is an important aspect of the game, and for some players moris helped with that.

• Ghouled_Mojo
    Ghouled_Mojo Member Posts: 2,287

Hatch screwed a lot of solos playing with a two or three man team. They would pop the hatch and throw the solo under the bus.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

But 4 players hatch escape only happen if 5 Gens were done...

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,417

Hatch, some of the recent perks BHVR has somehow thought were good for the game, and killers having literal free reign to do whatever they choose have contributed to the state of the game atm.

Bringing back old hatch, while I think would bring more than welcome chaos as well, probably will have a negative impact on the game as a whole. Few years ago, it might have been alright tbh. But things have had time to settle inside this 'hatchless' existence where an offering is brought as a 'just in case' or as someone's 'Plan A'. Removing it as they have done removes a lot of match worry/anxiety/etc, things that help make dbd feel like a horror game. Just completely gutted.

MFT, Old DH, UW, etc. These perks have caused issues and such and for good reason. Major power swings in a match come from just one of these, and it was clearly unacceptable lol. Still it provided ways to flip flop the 'current winner' of a match constantly. It was never really certain who was going to win, because DH was always in play and could make chases incredible. Old DS made plays. Same for killers, old Ruin, old etc etc.

Point is all these old things that had major impacts on the matches are just going away. Now people give up after a few minutes because 'its clear who's gonna win.' From my experience, it didn't happen a lot back then. Games played out.

Finally, with killer having freedom as it has always been, they have created a meta of tunneling and camping to the point BHVR has to actively fight against those playstyles.... without getting rid of those playstyles. Its a lose/lose of BHVR imo. This isnt something they will ever please everyone with.

But these things have changes, added, or removed alternative win cons. See any patterns? lol

(Im at work and bored out of my damn mind. Sorry!)

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,291

Hatch should probably not be reverted, but on the topic of alternative paths to victory, BBQ and WGLF should.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

I think the alternate way to win for survivor is fine. Its just the requirement of 5 Gens done for 2nd survivor to escape making so many give up scenarios.

• Xendritch
    Xendritch Member Posts: 1,842

As terrible as keys were there are some things I miss about them, mainly when keys were good plunder builds were actually viable. You could play like normal and if the match went badly start plundering and have a decent chance of finding a key and start looking for hatch, it truly felt like an alternative objective and it was fun.

What we have now but part of me still wonders if some middle ground isn't possible and hatch can spawn at two survivors closed and open at one survivor left. Although you'd probably have to get rid of blueprints in that scenario and they'd never do that.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,582

The game still wasn't over. Imagine, if the killer got 7 hooks and suddenly everyone would die just because they brought an addon.

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,331
    edited January 18

It got removed because the player base is soft like Charmin. No surprise that there's been a continual dumbing down of gameplay.

• GeneralV

but part of me still wonders if some middle ground isn't possible

It always is, my friend. There is a list of things that genuinely had to be changed entirely, but that list is extremely short.

• Onyx_0110
    Onyx_0110 Member Posts: 48

I do think hatch should be reworked again but it should be something else entirely. Something like a side objective that is almost as difficult (but in a different way) as gens. So basically another game mode/alternative win conditions that aren't just a 'gimme'.

This kind of rework won't happen though. It takes these devs years to make simple U.I. changes.

• CaulDrohn
    CaulDrohn Member Posts: 1,596
    edited January 19

A 3-man hatch escape at one gen left, when you worked hard to get the upper hand of the match, finally gaining the advantage, only to get it robbed from you by the use of a single item. That was one of the most stupid, frustrating, demoralizing situations in DBD history.

Post edited by Rizzo on
  • Pink_Ronin
    Pink_Ronin Member Posts: 118

I would be all for a rework that made the conditions for opening hatch more difficult while still allowing team hatch escapes to be a possibility. It was a fun objective that added variety to the gameplay and shouldn't have been completely abandoned

• Donkeybqlls
    Donkeybqlls Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 74

I actually think the key is still pretty strong just because it's so low-key now (get it ;) )

If I have/found a key and ma the last survivor, I try to spy out where the killer is going from afar and when the countdown starts, I know I have all the time in the world to reopen it and make an easy escape since the killer will just be checking the gates back and forth

• Donkeybqlls
    Donkeybqlls Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 74

What about having to find a number of relic-fragments as a team. Add lots of chests (mostly empty and take longer to open). Perks to get items from an empty chest don't give fragments and would need a long downtime ofcourse

• Carth
    Carth Member Posts: 1,182

The issue is there is no justifiable scenario to allow that, or I'd love to hear your thoughts on what would be fair. In the same vein would a mori that insta killed everyone if the killer got everyone on death hook be fun? You just insta-die out of nowhere? I don't think so, and I would argue the old hatch was basically that. One person dies and the other 3 can escape for free if on comms and smart. I could just be unimaginative, but what is a scenario you think that would be fair and justifies a full team hatch escape?

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,331
    edited January 19

I would have switched to Spirit and popped an Ebony or Green Mori as soon as the key was in the lobby so I wouldn't have to worry about that exact scenario happening due to the killer choosing to be underprepared by bringing a pen to a gunfight. Not act like I was owed something because golly gee I almost had them. Don't see it, but afraid someone might last second switch? Okay, equip the Mori before loading in.

Post edited by Nun_So_Vile on
  • Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,476

I too really enjoyed a 9 hook stage game at 1 gen and having them get a 3 man out. Those were some of the best experiences in my 6k+ hours in dbd and it brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it...

• IamFran
    IamFran Member Posts: 1,616
    edited January 19

That was removed because the keys allowed you to leave a match before finishing, it was by far the most broken survivor item in the game, that was literally like pressing "leave match" button but without penalisation and maintaining the points and items, a total non sense.

Also, the keys are not obsolete, in fact they have some good addons, one of the addons give you wallhacks for some seconds and you cand extend the first chase a lot, keys are just massively underrated (and I'm glad for that tbh).

• Atsuka_Anarchy
    Atsuka_Anarchy Member Posts: 378

Alternate Victory: Dance Off

The last surviving player can offer to dance off with the Killer; the Killer can decide to refuse the offer and continue chase.

The one who inputs the command prompts on the screen the most accurate and quickest will automatically be considered the winner of the match as the Dance Lord of the Fog.

• Config
    Config Member Posts: 306
  • Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 5,426

I've only ever played solo but I have fond memories of my team mates all coming to collect me to join them in a hatch escape. I mean, I get why hatch was reworked and I'm not saying it shouldn't have been. Just that I don't recall being left behind by swfs, which was nice.

• AssortedSorting
    AssortedSorting Member Posts: 1,079
    edited January 19

Old Keys/Hatch and Old/New Moris are different. But both share a core issue.

Old Keys/Hatch provided a new victory condition: bring an item to an unknown point after a given threshold. It has its own distinct gameplay of scouring the map for Hatch, as well as potentially being sourced from the Trial itself via Searching Chests for Keys.

Its activation conditions meant that it could be used to at minimum to bypass the Exit Gate, with 1 Survivor dead it could skip the last Gen, with 2 dead it could bypass the last 2 Gens. It also bypasses the patrol pressure Killers apply on Generators while Survivors look for Hatch. By being an item, the Killer could interrupt its use.

Moris don't provide an additional victory condition, it accelerates the existing one (Kill Survivors). It does not have distinct gameplay, though it does have distinct visuals. It also cannot be sourced from the Trial itself (only through an offering).

Mori's flat out lower the survivor Kill threshold and are immutable.

The shared problem with both Keys/Hatch and Moris is that they are the shortest path to victory. That is not an alternate path to victory, that is the main path to victory that players will pivot to optimize towards.

I do think that alternate paths to victory can work. However they need to be balanced against other methods.

For Moris there is a fundamental flaw with their implementation: A flat lower Kill threshold is applicable to all styles of gameplay. The path of least resistance would be to use Moris in conjunction with whatever meta strategy exists, in this case, "Tunneling". Moris also have an issue as an alternate victory path given that they restrict user choice of Offering: if they become equal to tunneling or surpass it, then gameplay variety relies on reducing Offering choice, or becomes mandatory for meta play.

For Keys/Hatch, it's more problematic. Tying a distinct victory condition to an Item also brings that Item way out of line with the rest of the Item roster. Keys/Hatch suffer the same design problem with Moris in that they apply ontop of whatever meta strategy exists for completing Gens the fastest. Keys/Hatch also have the issue in that they eschew Killer patrolling. All 4 Survivors may not share the same goal, which may cause logistic issues if Key/Hatch is made too distinct from Generators. Given the asymmetric nature of individual victory between Survivors and Killer, this alternate path must scale with players attempting it, and tying it exclusively to generators would also retain an issue that has arisen with the removal of Keys/Hatch:

You still have the problem where everything stops when there are two survivors left, who might otherwise have been scouring the map for a Key, who are now waiting for the other to die (or being slugged). As a result of the Killer having the advantage in this scenario when it comes the survivors reduced split pressure.

If I were to give my two cents on reintroducing these alternate victory paths, I'd do the following:

For Mori's - require Hooks on non-consecutive Survivors (to separate from tunneling), remove Hook requirements for Moris once the non-consecutive Survivor Hook threshold is reached, EG: after reaching 8 distinct Hooks you may Kill all Survivors by your Hand.

For Keys/Hatch - No Key requirement or Interaction (remove the Item issue). Make the Hatch visible from the start of the Trial (give Killer the chance to find and add it to their Patrol route when it becomes prominent). When a Survivor is Sacrificed/Killed a Haunt will spawn in the Trial. A player picking up a Haunt is empowered with the Void: Killer becomes undetectable for a duration, survivors lose scratch marks for a duration. Multiple Haunts can be collected at once, each refreshing the duration of the effect and counting as an extra stack. All Haunts must have dissipated before they respawn after a delay. While empowered, Survivors can interact with The Hatch to infuse the Haunt into it. Once two Haunts have been deposited, a global audio cue plays. Once three have been deposited, the Hatch opens. The Killer can Kick the Hatch to disperse all charges or close it.

These Haunts promote roaming the map for both sides. The limitation on spawned Haunts will only allow up to 2 charges to be deposited while 2 Survivors are alive, but The Hatch signaling itself as a threat when those charges are deposited can help move the Killer around so the other Survivor can try to work on a Gen while the Killer goes to kick it, with the Killer being able to try to collect Haunts to Empower themselves and prevent Survivors from using the Hatch. The Hatch is also useless when all 4 Survivors are alive.

Though this is probably much more prone to error that the Mori suggestion.

• AssortedSorting
    AssortedSorting Member Posts: 1,079

The problem with that is that it allows Survivors to skip any Exit Gate related perks. You'd need to move the conditions farther back such as having both Exit Gates opened before the Hatch will spawn/open, and then figure out how you want to deal with Perks like Bloodwarden or other similar Exit block effects.

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,475

It was a terrible, unfair mechanic that punished a killer who was doing well.

The killer could kill 2 survivors when there's still 2 gens left and the other two survivors could just escape. Or three survivors left alive with 1 gen left, they can just use a zero-skill escape method and completely bypass the last gen and endgame.

It was a ridiculously stupid and unfair mechanic that almost nobody actually liked and should never be brought back. Same as when moris could be used early, it was just stupid and unfair.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,437

Hard disagree on that, having a skeleton key + blood amber and prayer beads gives you 22.5 seconds of wallhacks on the killer and is one of the best items in the game.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,060

Thats why I see it in every game. /s

But yeah, maybe something like this should exists for Killers so that they dont mindgame themselves at Shack...

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,707

If you had all 4 alive then yes you still had to do all the gens. That still bypassed endgame builds, but otherwise didn’t skip a majority of the survivors’ objective.

But for each survivor that was dead then you needed 1 less gen, which was a big deal. Having 2 or 3 escapes with 1 or 2 gens left to do was a lot more common than getting 4 out through the hatch after all the gens were done.

• NerfDHalready
    NerfDHalready Member Posts: 1,726

old hatch? hahahahahah no. good take.

• Ghouled_Mojo
    Ghouled_Mojo Member Posts: 2,287

You had friendlier swfs than I usually did. There was also the fact that some survivors would stop doing anything other than lingering around hatch when it came to only two survivors left. It made for less than lustrous gameplay.

• Selfpreservated
    Selfpreservated Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 62

In the Chainsaw Massacre game theres various ways of escaping the match each one with its owns objectives and counters but if something like this were implemented in Dead by daylight would mean changing the core base of the game and if by any chance they ######### it (wich is very likely) could mean ruining the game for atleast 3+ months until they decide to change it back as it was before.

That would mean that all the time they took by conceptualizing and implementing it gets completely thrown into the trash.