Only killers should be punished for forcing their objectives?

Options

Comments

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon
    MikaelaWantsYourBoon Member Posts: 6,564
    Options

ı don't know. Even i lose all gens, it's usually i had 5 - 7 hooks. And that's my worst matches. So i am just taking L and moving on.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,541
    Options

Perks have a lot more to do with how the game is then anything....

Cause not running certain Perks means a "win" or a "loss"

• jmwjmw27
    jmwjmw27 Member Posts: 264
    Options

Why it's bad that killer forces his objectives, but "oh well what else should we do", when survivors do the same?

tunneling prevents the survivor being targeted's ability to partake in many aspects of the game. Some people like being chased all game, but some don't. As a survivor being tunneled, you spend the whole game on the hook or in chase, and have no freedom or agency to do anything but run and hope that's enough, which many find unfun.

Now let's look at "gen rushing": Can survivors force you to do any one particular thing, or otherwise prevent you from having any agency in the game? Nope. You can "tunnel" a generator and the generator's feelings won't be hurt. Sure, the killer might not like that they are losing, but that's different from having no agency in the game (even if it in unwinnable). You are still welcome to chase whoever you want, go wherever you want. If you have a killer challenge that isn't based on killing everyone, survivors have little to no power to actually stop you from doing it. On the flip side, good luck doing most survivor challenges when the whole game is spent on the hook, on the floor, or in chase.

Completely ignore everything in game because of 4 Resi, 4 Adrens?

This is actually a situation where you could camp/slug and it would be justified and the afflicted survivor should be mad at their teammates. It is very easy to force survivors to heal or sacrifice a hook stage by proxy camping/slugging when you know they are all injured.

Survivors have been put in a situation through many years of healing nerfs to where resetting and healing is sometimes a waste of time, and it can be better to push gens injured. I wouldn't say this is "completely ignoring" everything, especially with dead hard nerfed, survivors are now sacrificing a whole health state and making it a lot easier for you to end chases and pressure them.

This isn't a scenario where survivors "aren't punished" for focusing only on their objective. The punishment is the lack of health states, and it's up to you to capitalize on it.

I'm so tired of being punished for non-tunneling with 4 Adrens, really.

You will always be "punished" for not playing in the most optimal way. This is not the fault of adrenaline but rather an issue where tunneling is so strong and easy, that every player thinks "I could have won easily if one guy was dead already" and it makes the loss sting more. This is not a fault of adrenaline. You are base game punished for not tunneling because a fourth survivor is alive. Same thing if a survivor decides to do side objectives and give the killer extra time instead of solely doing gens.

If you want an example of a perk that, BY DESIGN, actually specifically punishes more fun, non-optimal play, look at Hex: Pentimento with dull totems.

4 toolboxes with BNP?

We have all seen the videos of 4 minute game speedruns. I don't think anyone here will tell you that 4 toolboxes + BNP is balanced and healthy for the game. "Gen tunneling" is not a thing, but that is a separate point.

3 gens done by first hook every second game? 8% of killer's objective vs 60% of survivors' objectives?

Not a good comparison. First, the game starts with the killer at their weakest and survivors at their strongest. It is expected that the first few generators go quickly and the last few take longer. Second, the survivor objective is not simply "do all the gens". Finally, it isn't really accurate to express the killer and survivor objective progress with simple percentages. If the killer has "25% of their objective" aka 1 survivor dead at 5 gens left, the survivors will most likely lose that game. If survivors have "100% of their objective" aka gens done, but one is on the floor, one is dying on hook, and the other in chase, it is not really representative of the situation.

Granted, it is very difficult to exert gen pressure as some killers on some maps if both sides are decent. But 3 gens for 1 hook isn't really 8% for killer vs 60% for survivor, as I've explained the killer's objective tends to progress quicker as the match goes on whereas the survivor's objective tends to progress slower.

Game really needs to be slightly slower on both sides imo.

Sure, I don't disagree with you there. But most of this thread is an "us vs them" argument farm about tunneling and not really relevant to this point. And when some natural slowdown happens on the survivor side, tunneling needs to both be less optimal and less easy, otherwise it will just continue to be the better strategy and nothing will change.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,382
    edited January 24
    Options

I did not mean to imply anything about the strength of regression perks. Just that killers have to end chases for the good ones to work.

I cannot say how good the old version of Ruin (the one with skill checks) actually was. I simply wasn't around back then. Although, I imagine that this perk must have been terrible for beginners and less skilled survivors. I considered Ruin a pretty healthy perk overall because it required the killer to chase and it had a pretty good but fair effect (although old Undying must have been a huge pain in the Ace).

To be honest though, I think Ruin was past its prime anyway. Boon perks have lead to many survivors actually learning common totem spawns and that meant Ruin was more likely to be found. It was still pretty good but the risk of it just deactivating early on was huge. Maybe that's just my own perception though.

I think the current regression meta is mostly fine. It has its flaws but so did Ruin. The only issue I have with it is, that killers with trouble in chase can't capitalise on them as well as they'd need.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,177
    Options

As killers were never sweat before. The final goal for them is 100% kill rate, the Devs goal is 60%. To achieve higher than 60, you should sweat.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,216
    Options

Just a little something I wanted to point out :)

The original versions of Ruin were really good perks. Even though it was possible to power through those Hex Skill Checks, most survivors would go on a totem hunt when they saw Ruin was being used. It was a perk made to slow the game down... just a little bit (props if you get this reference), and it did a wonderful job. So much so that immediately after the rework some killers got a bit confused as to what they should run and how to approach the game, especially around Green Ranks. Those were some of the easiest trials I ever had as survivor.

People did realize the potential of Reworked Ruin eventually, but the perk really shined when Undying first came out. Every game had that combination, the infamous Ruin + Undying meta. Also the only reason why I bought Blight and leveled him up. Boons were eventually released and changed things a bit, but the original Undying was no longer around when that happened.

I think the current meta is a bit excessive on the stacked gen defense perks, but I understand why it is that way.

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279
    Options

Not really topic, just wondering

Why do people have the need to change definitions community made up years ago?

Last year some people try to call tunneling as "kill rushing" for some reason and now they are trying "gen tunneling"?

Its still the same thing, no need to change how we called it for years.

Also its not something bad or good, its just an action taken in a video game, everyone tunnels sometimes, no need to be ashamed of it so much that you feel need to change the name of it

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon
    MikaelaWantsYourBoon Member Posts: 6,564
    Options

Good luck when i am waiting in locker to being grabbed. The moment DS's time is out, Head On will do and chase will continue and your 60 seconds is already wasted for no reason while other survivors are doing gens.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,124
    Options

It's had plenty of time with the conspic action restriction and it wasn't a problem.

(Outside of killers complaining that the anti-tunnel perk was making tunnelling harder.)

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,565
    edited January 24
    Options

I am not safisfied when this happens. I got gobbled of a potentially good match.

• radiantHero23
    Options

I absolutely agree!

However, this not only applies to tunneling. If the killer had a horrible start, hasaybe two hooks with 4 gens done. Should the survivor finish the 5th in their face?

If you ask me, that's similar. But it's way less complained about for also understandable reasons.

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,430
    Options

Why do people have the need to change definitions community made up years ago?

It's a rhetorical trick to try and win an argument. If people have already reached the conclusion that X is bad in their minds, if you can convince them that Y is also X you can piggy back off the decision they've already made.

So if you already believe that tunneling is bad, I don't have to convince you that gen rushing is bad if I can instead convince you that gen rushing is the same as tunneling. This is easier to do if you slap the same label on it. I now have two ways to convince you of my point of view.

It's not really unique to this community, its very common in politics/social movements to argue over definitions to make the rest of the argument as favorable to your side as possible. The thing that makes this community different than others is that we are much more us vs them (much like politics) because people have preferred sides. Symmetrical games people have preferred character mains/weapons/etc, but not whole sides. You can still have disagreements, obviously, but they don't get as heated because there isn't the mass presumption of bias.

• fussy
    fussy Member Posts: 1,262
    Options

I even highlighted the main idea of the post in one sentence:

All i want is so people remember that both sides can complete their task crazy fast.

But it seems that everyone is more interested in discussing if I can use this words to describe what i'm saying, lol.

• radiantHero23
    Options

If you ask me, i would even propose a basekit ds because i dislike having healthy mechanics locked behind a payment wall. The version i would propose:

Basekit - anti tunnel:

• after you get unhooked (first AND second hookstage): if the killer downs and picks you up, you can hit a skill check and escapee the killers grasp, stunning them for 4 seconds in the progress. While this is active, you can not interact with pallets or items and if two or more survivors are chased with the killer, you (with the mechanic active) lose collision with the killer (kinda like Sadako). This mechanic deactivates upon a conspicious action or being healed by another survivor to 50% (not counting resurgance, if resurgance is in play, the mechanic deactivates upon 90% healing progress).

Perk - decisive strike:

• increases the stun duration by 2 seconds for a 6 second stun.

This mechanic, however, has to be introduced with a mechanic that encourages the killer to go for multible hooks. Something like old bbq stacks. As it was already discussed by @Xernoton .

• Xyvielia
    Xyvielia Member Posts: 2,415
    Options

Love the posts!

Such a Blessing to have you and Pulsar and the handful of voices here on these forums who speak sensibly and truthfully, without any delusion.

Keeps other players (who know the facts you are speaking are legit) remembering that we’re not alone in our realistic ways of thinking, and maintaining our sanity; while preventing the attempted gaslighting via the ‘Killer-is-in-danger-of-going-extinct-Quick-bring-on-the-Survivor-nerfs-immediately!’ rhetoric that so many people on here spew.

Like a breath of wholesome, fresh oxygen amongst the stale, polluted, life-sucking atmosphere.

Feels Awesome, thanks🫶🏽

• Firellius
    Options

"forum survivors" also reject the idea of doing anything to combat their unfun effective strategies as well. Both sides go through this.

Strategies like what?

Because currently, the biggest complaint coming from the killer side is that survivors sometimes win by doing their objective. That is what these complaints boil down to. That's why the term shifted from 'genrush' to 'gen-tunnelling'. Because genrushing was already acknowledged to be a problem, and killers now just want to make 'survivors doing gens' into a problem.

Tunneling and camping aren't "breaking the game", the game is designed with them in mind. The game expect you to.

This argumentation can excuse literally everything. Remember old old BNPs? Instafix a gen?

Game was designed with them in mind. Game expected you to.

Did it break the game?

So again I ask, do you want both sides to handicap themselves or not? There needs to be a general agreement for both sides to either play "to win" or "Play to win but with handicaps so it's more fun".

The handicap you're asking for on the survivor side is literally that they just throw the game. The slowest possible pace isn't slow enough for you. And guess what? It's going to continue to not be slow enough for you. You lose one match and you'll be back here.

Tunnelling is by far the most effective and fastest way to win.

Doing gens is the ONLY way to win for survivors. Asking them to stop doing that is to ask them to just lose.

Killer winrates are above where they should be. They're a good distance above survivor win rates. But it's not enough. And it's never going to be. Tunnelling is always going to make you feel like you have an argument.

It needs to be ripped out so killers can see how the game is supposed to work.

If, and only IF, this causes killer winrates to drop too low, we can talk about nerfing survivors. Because we've been through several waves of survivor nerfs and the tunnelling never stopped, and nerfs to tunnelling continue to be off-limits. I don't trust any forum killer to admit, after any survivor nerfs, that tunnelling is breaking the game, so we're not doing this whole 'nerf survivors and then we'll stop tunnelling' song and dance again.

• Firellius
    Options

What I am getting at is that this line:

"I understand what you're trying to get at but tunneling and camping are not OP and overpowered. They are needed to preform at an even level in an evenly skilled match."

Is getting cemented more and more with every survivor nerf/killer buff. This idea that you -have- to tunnel is a supposition that's being leveraged to demand more survivor nerfs/killer buffs.

It really doesn't matter what the state of the game is like, as long as you, as killer, get to be the sole arbiter of what's 'necessary to win', you're always going to claim tunnelling is required.

And you're never going to find out if it's true, either. Tunnelling can inflate your MMR to a point where you're not getting 'even' matches. Matches won by tunnelling could've been winnable without. You'll never know.

That's why tunnelling needs to be ripped out. We'll never have a clear understanding of the balance as long as it exists.

"I'm not sure where you're getting this data. Killer win rate should be around 60% so accounting for discrepancies in killer strength maybe 55%-65% give or take afaik. I would like to see where it's above those numbers."

A -win- rate of 60%!? That's extremely killer sided.

I assume you mean a -kill- rate of 60%, which BHVR, a long time ago, stated was what they felt was best for the game.

But right now, we're sitting on killer winrates that are a little ways over survivor winrates. Killers are outperforming survivors. Increasing killrates would slant the game too much towards killers.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,571
    Options

No.

If your opponents are the same skill, you do not need to tunnel to kill two. You probably don't need to tunnel to kill three.

If your opponents are better than you, then sure.

• MrPenguin
    MrPenguin Member Posts: 2,381
    Options

But killers are not the sole arbiter. Survivors are also deciding slamming gens is also "necessary to win".

If you have to tunnel to win then you have to. If you have to slam gens you need to. That doesn't mean survivors need nerf or killers need buffs, just that you should tunnel your objective.

However if you want to nerf killers by removing or hindering their tunneling abilities, then for the sake of balance you should do the same to the other side. Unless survivors are already underpowered, which is not my experience playing as or against survivors unless its like, Nurse.

Imo, it's not "inflating your MMR" to play in the most efficient way possible. That's what your MMR is for the playstyle you're using. It should put you in matches where playing your best is the same as the opposition playing their best. Is it it inflating survivors MMR by them slamming gens? No, that's just what their MMR is.

It sounds like you want a shift in the balance philosophy and/or state where tunneling is no longer the thing we balance around. Which if that's true on that I can agree. We should stop tunneling. We just need to do so in a way that doesn't bork over the entire balance.

Again, either from the game or the community.

Also yes I assumed you meant killrate since that usually what people mean. So I can take fault for that. But I also don't know where this data for winrates is coming from, so if you could share that'd be appreciated.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,177
    Options

An equal match for me that killer able to get 5 kills in 2 matches, and that achievement is really easy to get without the need of tunneling.

If you play it fair against a team and get 2K, you would be able to 3-4K if you tunnel. Which mean, for survivors to have 2E against you as a tunneler, they have to be better than you. And if you dont even get 2K after tunneling, survivors are too far better than you which they deserve the winning.

• ChaosWam
    ChaosWam Member Posts: 1,332
    edited January 25
    Options

People have wild ideas for balancing this game, and I guarantee some don't even care about balance and just want really busted buffs. Also this may be the only community I see that also wants things to be nerfed to oblivion instead of reasonably balanced to the point where people end up arguing over the same ideals, only over minute things like how long a perk is active and act like each person in question is wanting wildly different things or assuming the worst.

I honestly don't envy BHVR when they have to comb over some of these suggestions when they decide on changes.

• radiantHero23
    Options

Does it matter if the killer is experienced? They lost 4 gens for 2 hooks. This doesn't mean that they are inexperienced. There are a lot of factors in dbd that can lead to both sides losing without playing particularly bad.

As killer, it can already be a certain map, good items and good survivor perks.

As survivor it can be soloq teammates and a tunneling killer on a bad map.

Even if the killer is experienced, I dont think the Gen should be finished in their face. It's basicly putting the nail in the coffin and saying: "We don't care about your experience. We just want to win."

• radiantHero23
    Options