Only killers should be punished for forcing their objectives?

Options
fussy
fussy Member Posts: 1,166
edited January 23 in General Discussions

While whole community crying about tunneling, i want to ask: why it's bad that killer forces his objectives, but "oh well what else should we do", when survivors do the same?

Completely ignore everything in game because of 4 Resi, 4 Adrens? Oh yeah, these 4-5 minutes matches are completely fair

I'm so tired of being punished for non-tunneling with 4 Adrens, really. (No, Terminus is not good perk against it and i don't want undeserved kills because of NOED)

4 toolboxes with BNP? Sure thing, gen tunneling doesn't exist you stopid killah mains

3 gens done by first hook every second game? 8% of killer's objectives vs 60% of survivor's objectives? Oh your chases are bad. What, it's *popular killer main streamer* match? Oh, survivors are just better than

I mean, all these questions are rhetorical, i know how it's going on both sides and why it's a case. All i want is so people remember that both sides can complete their task crazy fast. And if you want to punish one side for doing their job on a game level, you can't don't do the same for other.

So when i read something crazy like "make basekit DS 10 seconds on both hooks without consp. actions" and don't see "also basekit 60 sec Deadlock and 50% pain res" from some people here pretending both sides players, I always laugh really well from that.

Game really need to be slightly slower on both sides imo. But it also can't be "party game", when game is literally one side competing another and both want to win.

Post edited by fussy on

Comments

• Green_Sliche
    Green_Sliche Member Posts: 513
    edited January 23
    Options

The quality of survivor game also depends on queue and how aggressively does killer resort to getting a single survivor out asap.

When survivors struggle too much, they can rely on basekits and each other. When killer struggles - no help is offered. It's only logical for killers to make sure it's not them who struggle and even now the best way to achieve such outcome is to get one player out of the match.

It won't change until the game balance becomes more dynamic for both sides like being based on their current performance. In survivor's case it could be tied to hooks, for killers it could be the generator count. Gens vs Kills is bad and only promotes extremes for both sides.

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,361
    Options

The only thing im gonna say is the amount of rules being introduced to this game i fear for any future players. For those who don't know. There was a streamer tourney years ago which most of the streamers were first-time players. The amount of rules they saw the game had to give them that you just "had to know" (and some of those tourney rules are now mechanics like no camping or tunneling) And the more that gets added that a killer has to tip-toe around. Also im saying this as a person who doesnt deploy these strategies. But this is also coming from a person from the time where none of these hard mechanics existed. You could pretty much play how ya wanted. Its definitely simpler on the survivor end because the entity doesnt really step in to stop them on a basekit level like it does to impede the killer.

• Pluto_1
    Pluto_1 Member Posts: 337
    Options
  • Bafugaboo
    Bafugaboo Member Posts: 341
    Options

The only time it bothers me on the Survivor side is in two cases. If I am in a group of friends and do not get to be actively playing is the first. The second is if there was a lot of bp to be gained from offerings. That sweet reward being ripped away is painful.

I agree the points and piping needs to be adjusted for the killer side. If it was weighted more towards amount of hooks or landed attacks it might shift priorities from needing a sacrifice to active engagement.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,902
    Options

You are absolutely right, but the semantics of definitions and word use aside. Losing a gen or 2 in game is really not the equivalent of being eliminated.

Given the tendency for people to make simple equivalencies, generally without much thought involved, means using the term "gen tunneling" does kind of imply an equivalency to what players define as "tunneling" aka being chased again off hook. (I've used this term myself when it felt appropriate but in the context of this thread it seems off).

Frankly I think, like most "internet speak", "tunneling" is just ridiculous jargon and by giving the gameplay of being chased and hooked again a label, it simply created a generalized excuse that can be thrown around anytime anyone gets eliminated for any reason.

Failed to escape and died in game... well you must have been tunneled.

Its overuse as a negative trope in a series of subjective and ill defined circumstances results in it being almost as meaningless as the word toxic these days.

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 3,105
    Options

Is getting complained at really getting punished for doing something?

You can play like an ass and ignore the chat if you really want to, regardless of what side you're on.

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,152
    Options

that's how most play why there is so many complains threads.

• Unequalmitten86
    Unequalmitten86 Member Posts: 142
    Options

The great divide. "4 players the BNP and toolboxes".... where on earth in Soloq do you ever see that? In a year of playing I haven't seen it, and lately when I play Soloq nope, as Killer though yep and I can tell their a team or at least a 3 person SWF. The nerf around SWF's because they are the strongest and abuse the most and they are generally the most toxic on turn causes the killers to become toxic, which causes videos to be uploaded and shows new players this is how you play. It's a vicious cycle and those that have been playing can adapt but when they nerf much needed perks specific for Soloq that's when the people leave.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,902
    Options

Again totally agree.

Just differentiating here between focusing on objective for killer vs survivor. The topic being "why are killers punished for trying to eliminate players quickly but survivors aren't punished for trying to finish gens quickly".

The simple answer is killers aren't. A player can "tunnel" another player out to their heart's content, in fact it often pays to do so.

Choosing not to because it may hurt the feelings of another player, whom doesn't understand that early elimination is a thing and they should do their best to avoid it, is just gimping oneself.

Sure there are some built in abilities now that make eliminating someone early a lil more difficult but they aren't game breaking and are designed purely to maximize a survivor's game potential even if targeted while still offering the killer choice on whom to eliminate. (I personally don't think base kit abilities are the answer and are kind of a lazy band aid but that's a different topic).

The day killers lose power to choose whom to eliminate is the day we can say they are punishing players for trying to complete their objective. That creates a scenario where survivors post hook are completely safe, which is bad because it eliminates threat from the killer rendering the game mute.

• Chaosrider
    Chaosrider Member Posts: 473
    Options

Thats most likely the worst comparison ive ever seen. Good job.

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279
    Options

How is blight being punished by hard tunneling at 5 gens some clueless dwight in soloq ?

Its the most optimal playstyle to win, how exactly are killers being punished for that?

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,208
    Options

Yeah, the current slowdown perks do not compare to Ruin, but I honestly think nothing ever will. Especially the first two versions of Ruin (1.3.1 and 2.6.0).

Those two perks grinded the game to a halt because survivors would go hunt for the totem, even if it was possible to power through Ruin's effect. Reworked Ruin used in conjunction with the original Undying also had a similar effect. It is a perk that reached the top of the killer meta with three different versions of itself.

• fussy
    fussy Member Posts: 1,166
    Options

Mods, when you change (for some reason) the title of the post, can you at least keep its original meaning? Especially when half of the forum is not even trying to read the content?

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,806
    Options

Agree, and this is the thing to me; most of the time, hard tunneling is just so unnecessary. A lot of people have worked themselves into the mind set of "I have to tunnel to win", but you really don't in most cases. Most games are against at least partial solo queue players (and a good percentage of even "high mmr" matches have a sprinkling of potatoes in them), and you can play pretty casually and do well.

I literally never tunnel to start matches, and still 4K (or 3K and let the last surv go) about half the time.

I'm not saying killers shouldn't ever tunnel, just that going into every game with the intent to tunnel out the first surv they find is egregiously unnecessary, and quite frankly really lame. It says they are terrified of losing and aren't confident they can win any other way.

And yeah, teams coming into matches with souped up tool boxes with the plan to just slam the gens out as fast as humanly possible is also quite lame, but in my experience it's also far less common than killers just tunneling out the first surv without thought.

I think a lot of killers can't wrap their brains around the fact that losing 2-3 gens early is pretty standard even in wins, and it's at that point that the game really starts.

Of course the reality a lot of people don't like to face is that they're not playing at some elite tier where sweating your nuts off is necessary to compete. You can play with some discretion on either side and still win. Let the match breathe for a few minutes and match the energy your opponent is bringing; the game is so much more enjoyable that way.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,045
    Options

They would be, if the killer could be in four places at once.

What do you mean 'four places at once'? The killer doesn't tunnel four survivors at the same time. Actual gen tunnelling would involve survivors all ignoring all other gens bar one.

• RFSa09
    RFSa09 Member Posts: 606
    Options

the problem is, DH, DS and BT wasn´t anti tunnel and anti camp perks, but chase perks, in the past BT was terror radius based and DS activate aat the start of the match