Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

How Are You Supposed to Learn New Killers?

2»

Comments

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279

By playing them, just like you learnt old killers

• tjt85
    tjt85 Member Posts: 844
    edited February 1

It's rough to go up against the kinds of Survivors you might normally get with your main, but it doesn't typically take too long to get the hang of using a new Killer's power in my experience. If the games are ending too quickly, just slap on 4 slowdown perks and focus on chasing Survivors. Forget about defending gens or winning until you feel like you know what you're doing.

I'm lucky enough to be at a low enough MMR to get a fair amount of inexperienced Survivors, though (even with my main I'll still get players with only 25 hours to their name sometimes). So I get to play a couple a games where nobody really knows what they're doing and I can practice my power without worrying about the gens popping too quickly.

New Billy's power is really fun to use, so it hardly matters to me if I win or lose. The only frustration for me is losing a grade pip when I do badly. Definitely makes me not want to practice a new Killer if I have pips to defend.

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302

They are perfect for killers like Alien as they refuse to leave vaults, you can get unlimited practice with the tail attack against bots.

Brilliant mode for practice.

• Xendritch
    Xendritch Member Posts: 1,842

Not really.

Games can't change on a curve for an individuals time commitment. It's why competitive game communities heavily skew younger with people with less time commitments because they have more time to learn the game. This is generally pretty fair put more time in see better results, there's no way for devs to make things easier for people with less time nor should they really.

The best they can do is create a place to learn which granted DBD didn't for a long time but now you can just go into a custom game and put in bots to help you learn a killer until you feel comfortable to go into pubs. At which point you learn the killer and start doing alright or you lose until your MMR drops enough to give you balanced matches. It's about as fair as they could make it so besides that the only thing you could do is make a new account and have your MMR restart from scratch.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

I was asking if you could understand why learning a new Killer is unappealing. Sorry, should've been more clear.

• Pulsar

That's true, but they do usually end up blocking them.

I know one just kept spamming a vault after I moved even slightly

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904

Play the offline mode against the bots. That way you can practice all you want.

I think "have to lose 100 games" is a bit of an exaggeration really.

Basic game sense applies generally to all killers, its not a stretch to work with just that till you get used to a new power.

• Xendritch
    Xendritch Member Posts: 1,842

Oh, in that case yeah I agree it can be a huge struggle to learn a new killer. As someone who has no aim and struggles in FPS games picking up Deathslinger was extremely painful and I spent most of my early games missing all my shots and feeling like I was no threat at all. So I def understand the struggles of learning a new killer but I don't view it as unfair just difficult.

• ohheyitsbobcat
    ohheyitsbobcat Member Posts: 1,714
    edited February 1

I'd play against the bots for a couple games learning the basics to get a feel for the saw and messing with add-ons to see what you like. Don't even play play either, just get a feel for the saw. After that I'd do a few practice things like feathering around loops and curves like shack that'd you use in most games. You don't have to be great at them but that makes a nice base to practice in normal matches.

After that I'd do 1 or 2 bot matches then go into public games. The bots are great for basics but that's it. I played with them a few times learning basic Billy myself and they will pinpoint accurate dodge your saw from a small distance. In fact, if you can backrev a bot you can backrev a player a lot easier in most cases, not all but most.

I actually think bot matches with Billy are harder then normal matches at a lower level if you're only using the saw. Best of luck learning and try to keep expectations reasonable. One doesn't become a good Billy player overnight.

I'm still a pretty bad Billy though so take all this with a grain of salt. It's just what I did when I started playing him a couple months ago.

• Coz
    Coz Member Posts: 67

Mentioned lots in the thread but practice, practice, practice!

im currently trying to take every (free) killer to 1st prestige for the perk share.

i get my ass handed to me, a lot! But I do see progress and I notice I’m getting better in increments.

ya gotta go in expecting to lose but you will get better and better with time :)

• squbax
    squbax Member Posts: 1,441

You learn by trial and error, you will get stomped while learning, its normal, get over it and start doing so. Also, dont you reply to almost every killer complain with a more elaborate way of just "get good"?( At least in ftp+bu discussions)Take your own advise and get better at billy.

• Pulsar

If by more elaborate you mean saying what I would do and trying to help, then yes.

You could break any skill issue down into "git gud". The getting good part is the thing I'm after, which does not feel incentivized due to poor matchmaking; which is again, something I've harped on forever.

• Steakdabait
    Steakdabait Member Posts: 1,267
    edited February 2

You learn the best from failure if you can prevent yourself from getting frustrated. That is something you are just gonna have to accept.

But if you wanna reduce the annoying part of learning billy just don't try to play for clip farming. Really all you need to do to get results on billy is smart zoning and be able to perform minor curves against survivors trying to to use a tile to prevent a backsaw. long juicy curves are very rarely the correct move and going for them all the time will lose you games.

• squbax

Not really most of the replies are along the lines of "you are just not a good player", "good killers are not bothered by it" and completely disregard the other persons view in the matter.

An example of this also happens in each SM threat that you comment on, even tho I agree with you and I am a profound SM hater, you cannot be bothered to read or even discuss the arguments of SM mains and just disregard everything they say without adressing their points (even if they are wrong which most of the time they are)

So to that end I say the same to you, I as someone who has tried to learn multiple killers have never had an issue with matchmaking while learning and anyone who has it just needs to improve their skills and accept that while learning you will struggle, its a common thing in the process of learning and better players get unphased by it so you have no excuse.

• Pulsar
    edited February 2

I mean, nothing you've said is incorrect.

Like I said, I'm merely after details. Should I be trying to curve? Should I not be? Should I be going for back revs and zoning? What's the best way to practice? Guides? Good players? Anyone sharing the experience of new-old Killer MMR?

Also, I usually don't argue with DM mains because they generally tend to be the most fanatical, for lack of a better term. There's not so much a point to it. I also don't think I call players bad. Inexperienced? Yes, I've said that but I very rarely straight-up call someone bad. And a lot of the time the argument does boil down to that, like with the flashlight posts. It's just Inexperience, not being bad.

• Pulsar
  • HPhoenix
    HPhoenix Member Posts: 598

I belive you can in customs, I would start there before going live with what you learned.

• squbax

If you want actual advice for billy, as someone who wasted valuable time that could have gone to learning blight into foolishly learn billy, this is my advice:

Curve around chests, cars or snowpiles, objects with low vertical collision make for amazing curves, if the survivor seems good do curves widening your turn as they will try to dodge it, backrev when you are looping normally to bait them not dropping the pallet and get an m1 or better yet a chainsaw down. You can curve on long wall loops as long as you are fast enough or the survivor is distracted.

Finally if the survivor is actually more than decent, avoid chasing in jungle gyms or main building as you have no power basically, and switch targets as fast as you can.

However I dropped this joke of a killer before overdrive was a thing and have no interest of playing him again, so you will most likely be able to use od speed to catch up to some loops billy had no opportunity to counter before.

Good billy players to recomend:

Unclestanbanana comes to mind

Hens333 is also a very good billy

Im sure there are more but those are the most active imo

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

It's bot mode to get use to the power and try stuff out. You're not playing to 4k in 2 minutes. That's what you're asking for right? To learn the killer? Once you have a handle on it play normal matches. You're going to lose but should you be winning? Is it learning when every survivor dies or barely escapes?

• coolgue1
    coolgue1 Member Posts: 111

just go into have fun and get better if your expecting to win then u are going to have a horrible time i have just starting playing billy and if i have a bad game or bad map i let the survivors know and they usually want to play with me so i can get better my matches have even had full 10 minutes with all gens done just messing around tiles and chain sawing around the map trying to get surprises most survivors are more then willing to have a fun match but if u start tunneling and and coming back to hook they are going to rush gens because your are trying to win not get better at Billy and BTW billy is not hard to get down with at all even if you miss the chain saw insta down you have like .5 seconds till your chainsaw is put away witch basically gives your a free hit almost every time if you zone them well

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,565

Not to be rude, but... The same as always? We've doing this for 7+ years now.

Just throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks.

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913

You just have to keep losing to become better.

With higher skill ceiling killers like Billy, you cannot expect to go into matches and do well or win against competent players if you don’t have the experience behind playing him. You’re not playing a simple killer like Wraith, he’s hard to learn and get the hang of.

And simply watching streamers who are good at a certain killer can aid in you picking up tips and tricks on certain killers. UncleStanBana is great at Billy and I would recommend him.

But Billy is still a mid killer. You won’t get the same results with him as you would someone like Nurse or Spirit. I’m depressed every time I get something like Hawkins as Billy

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,538

I’m depressed every time I get something like Hawkins as Billy.

Fixed it for ya, friend :)

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,176

This is near enough correct. There is a bit of a deviation in MR between your top Killer and those you haven't played, but not a great deal. Data-miners apparently have said the difference was around 100 MMR, which is done to ensure Killers don't pub-stomp newer players by switching, but equally is meant to give a chance for the Killer to learn by facing lower MMR Survivors.

• Pulsar

Yes, that's why I'm not sure how much I can really practice against the bots.

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913

Thank you for the fix. I appreciate that.

I still dislike that map even when I’m someone like Wraith 😭

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,723

New account? Don't know whether that is financially inconvenient for you or not, but I know your MMR is really high. Bonus, you can check out what low MMR looks like with other killers and survivors and report back the horror.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,538

Yeah, same.

And when you get that map as Survivor it is even worse.

• Steakdabait
    Steakdabait Member Posts: 1,267

Just around loops this size. Tho the faster you are in power the bigger the loop you can curve.