If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Time for Bear Traps at Exit Gates to go

Options
Nos37
Nos37 Member Posts: 4,063
edited February 11 in Feedback and Suggestions

Other killers cannot use their power right next to the Exit Gates... No Demogorgon portals, no Victor/Charolette switching, no Hag marks, Executioner trenches. The Skull Merchant can, but her Drones no longer detect motionless survivors.

The Trapper's Bear traps can be placed directly in front of the exit gate switch and they HAVE to be disarmed first. The Trapper then knows you're there and before you can even get to the other gate, they've reset the trap and it starts over again. Last survivor automatically loses.

Now, the argument for keeping this in the game has always been "but the Trapper is so weak... it's one of the few gimmicks he has... leave him be!"

Well, he's been buffed, twice. Time to disable trap placement right next to the switches.

Post edited by EQWashu on

Comments

• Nos37
    Options

Remove his ability to trap exit gates, let his kill rates stabilize afterwards to see how many kills he was getting from the very simple task of placing 2 traps and standing in between them. Then buff him accordingly.

• Nos37
    edited February 9
    Options

In both of those first 2 cases, the survivor could crouch-walk to the switch and try openinng it. In the case of Freddy, the survivor can use an alarm clock before opening the exit gate. Meanwhile, bear traps HAVE to be disarmed, and doing so notifies the killer.

Would it be better if survivors could safely crouch-walk over bear traps and stand up in them as long as they're busy interacting, like they can against Hag marks?

• CountOfTheFog
    CountOfTheFog Member Posts: 1,614
    Options

If you're facing Trapper, begin looking for the exit gates early to disarm the Traps. If he keeps coming to reset then the team can gen rush out.

• Nos37
    Options

And if the Trapper waits until there are only 2 survivors remaining before trapping/rearming them, then he gets a free 4k the second he closes the hatch.

No other killer gets it for free. Some have it easier than others, but only the Trapper gets it for free. Place trap 1, place trap 2, stand in the middle and wait, profit. Free profit.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,163
    Options

its called balance not seesaw, he is in an ok spot at best right now nerfing him just to nerf him then saying buffs might come isn't a quid pro quo I would like to see, now if you said give him x y z buff and remove his ability to trap exit gates then you would have something on your hands

• Nos37
    edited February 9
    Options

He's not going to get the buff he deserves if his kill rates are padded with free kills from end game.

Balance his power in endgame with that of other killers and buff his kit for during the trial.

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 3,064
    Options

You cannot crouch-walk if the Twins player is constantly switching between the two. It doesn't make you invisible.

• MechWarrior3
    MechWarrior3 Member Posts: 1,468
    Options

I don’t agree with this personally. Trapper isn’t strong at all and outdated. Last thing he needs is to lose another advantage.

• HeroLives
    HeroLives Member Posts: 1,985
    Options

I still to this day believe he should start with all his traps, and the trap resource should function similar to hags is disabled, you just get it back.

• CountOfTheFog
    Options

Not necessarily, if two survivors remain then they should go to separate exit gates once it's clear he's trapping them

The Killer can only be in one place at a time.

I play Trapper and did it about a month ago. I had to commit to one Survivor eventually and the other Survivor got out through the exit gates

It wouldn't bother me if Traps couldn't be set there though. Just know that it's not impossible to escape

I also escaped through the exit gates with my last remaining SoloQ teammate last month playing against Trapper doing this

One of us would disarm the trap and make Slight progress on the gate switch, the other get him in a chase. We alternated and both escaped through the gates

I can say it was intense and my most memorable match as Survivor in my 4600 hours but we pulled it off.

• bjorksnas
    edited February 9
    Options

killers are different its just built in, some are stronger and have mechanics during endgame and or addons that change it to do so not even counting perks heres a list

Freddy : addon to block exit gates

Nemesis : addon to respawn zombies in exit gates

Trapper : you know

Pig : traps go off in exit gates if active

Nurse : can blink into closed exit gates

Doctor : can shock the opening of an exit gate

Clown : can interrupt the opening of an exit gate with direct bottle hits

Huntress : hatchet

Deathslinger : yoinky sploinky

Twins : exit gate blocked if victor is on you

Pinhead : exit gate blocked if chains are on you

Wesker : exit gate blocked if hit by his power (idk this one verbatim but its to some extent)

Hag: traps near and in the exit gate just not directly under the switch

Knight : addon to block exit gates while a survivor is hunted

Trapper is already in line balance since a big portion of the cast has interaction with the exit gates and power switch like him, his power is good for blocking the switch but requires 2 of his 10 traps for both, and setup either during the match or after which gives survivors either a time advantage mid match where he isn't pressuring or a punishment at the end of the match if they 99 an exit gate which just incentivizes opening it early, its reasonably balanced as long as the prompt functions properly

• Nos37
    Options

I've been asking for them to remove this unfair BS mechanic for years now. He's already been buffed TWICE since then!

You want a THIRD?? Then WAIT until after they remove the mecanic and see what happens to kill rates. THEN buff him, but SOMEWHERE ELSE, not in his ability to place 2 traps in 2 spots and get a free kill.

And the majoirty of balance has been see-saw. They don't even LOOK at a new killer's performance until weeks or months down the road to let their kill rate settle.

• Nos37
    Options

This has been said EVERY SINGLE TIME I bring this topic up.

He's been buffed and buffed and reworked and given huge QoL, but STILL his easy BS mechanic exists. 2 traps. Free kill.

• Nos37
    Options

It's very similar to Myers' addons. Some are completely busted but they stay in the game JUST BECAUSE Myers is weak.

• Nos37
    Options

You crouch-walk up to Victor and kick him, putting him on cooldown. Charolette either has to wait and send him back or come over, allowing you to try the other gate.

If it were up to me, all killers would have their killer powers disabled when there is only 1 remaining survivor and the hatch has spawned, and make the 110% killers 115% movespeed.

Right now, Trap and mobility killers have it easy while Deathslinger has to slowly walk back and forth.

• MechWarrior3
    MechWarrior3 Member Posts: 1,468
    edited February 9
    Options

It’s NOT enough. He’s extremely OUTDATED. It doesn’t matter what you give him. Update this killer to today’s killers then I’ll say yeah, ditch the traps at exit gates.

With that being said, my opinion stands. He should be able to keep his traps at exit gates. Even singularly can keep his pods there.

• bjorksnas
    edited February 9
    Options

yes he could have a bit more, also just because the devs might balance like a see-saw doesn't mean that we have to with theoretical changes

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 3,064
    Options

Pretty sure you can't crouch walk up to Victor in the time it takes for the switch to come off of cooldown.

• Nebula
    Nebula Member Posts: 1,392
    Options

I actually completely agree with this. Your point about Myers as well is very valid as well, some things are allowed to stay in the game because the community agrees that these killers are weak even though, in reality, these are the very things that are holding back more and better changes from them. bHVR sticks to their golden 60% kill rate and does very little evaluating outside of that. The killers that receive changes (for the most part) are the ones that are either below or above this benchmark. If Trappers kill rates are being inflated from having the ability to cakewalk through your average endgames, it's holding back actual, viable changes.

• Nos37
    Options

I meant that all the Trapper has to do is place a trap at each exit at some point before there is only 1 remaining survivor. Then they get the free 4k as soon as they close hatch. It is impossible for the last remaining survivor.

• Nos37
    Options

Trapper just has to kill 2 surviors, slug the 3rd, trap the exit gates, hook/kill the 3rd, close the hatch, and the 4th one automatically loses. There is no free room for the 4th survivor to pick up the 3rd survivor, repair the remaining gens, and apply pressure at both gates simultaneously. Just a free 4k.

• CountOfTheFog
    Options

You may find the Hatch first. I do see your grievance and it is understandable. I'm ok with it staying or going personally as I play both sides. I only trap the exit gates if it's clear the match is going south for me very early on. I have still never got a 4K doing it though so I don't go out of my way to do it unless desperate, as in 4 generators done and I have 0 hooks desperate

• bjorksnas
    Options

Its a free 4k if you get the match to that specific point but you still need to get the match to that specific point so its not free its earned

• WeaverReaver42
    WeaverReaver42 Member Posts: 210
    Options

yeah, no. Trapper players had to fight tooth and nail for getting all our beartraps..... and all we got was them being closer to generators and a small haste buff after placing traps. Trapper is THE weakest killer. Even with the few buffs he's recieved that's still the case. if you are losing to trapper, that's absolutely a skill issue. The effort a trapper would have to put in to have only 2 survivors leftis vastly more than any other killer would. If you got down to 2 survivors against a trapper, you played poorly enough that another killer probably would have a 3-4k by then. If you and another survivor can't handle 2 traps, then you probably can't handle most of what other killers can throw at you. Especially since his traps don't exactly stop people from shredding through generators like a Demogorgon through pallets, meaning he can't prevent you from doing gens unless he's physically there (meaning if you split up he can only stop one of 4 gens being repaired). Hell, if you are upset at this- do you think no way out and blood warden should be removed? Why not complain about perks that functionally do what you are talking about, but can be used on much stronger killers more likely to have 2 survivors left at endgame?

When trapper is buffed to a reasonable state (you can say that his kill rate is the reason he hasn't gotten buffed properly, but one look at pig and twins should show you the devs take their sweet time fixing things that desperately need it), and those perks are gone/changed, then we can talk about preventing trapper from trapping the gates.

• Nos37
    Options

It's free in the sense that I still have a chance to escape through the exit gates against other killers if the hatch was closed, but not against Trapper.

What if disarming a trap near an exit gate switch disarmed ALL traps near exit gates?

Nevermind. It would still be heavily in the Trapper's favor. All he has to do is stand next to one of the exit gates instaed of standing in the middle of them. When the trap is disarmed, he re-arms the trap and goes to the other gate which is where the survivor is obviously at. They can reset the trap there by the time the survivor gets to the other gate to disarm.

The whole situation is stupid. Like Doctor making everyone without Clam Spirit yell "here I am!" stupid, or wallhack Myers stupid.

Just close this entire discussion and make survivors who face Trapper spawn on hooks in the basement. They have their 4% chance to escape before the Trapper shows up to lock the whole place down. Skyrocket his killrate to 98% and then we'll talk about this unfair mechanic again.

• Orthane
    Orthane Member Posts: 373
    Options

Give Trapper 25% faster setting speed, and start with all traps in inventory then we can fix his cheesy trap placements.

• WeaverReaver42
    Options

I was going to do my best to give advice on how to deal with trappers messing with exit gates, but that last part made me realize you're less here to share a problem you think dbd has and more to complain. I wish you had made the fact you wanted to just complain about something more clear, or better yet just used reddit to vent, so I wouldn't have had to waste my time arguing.

• WeaverReaver42
    Options

also, if killer has closed hatch on you- It's SUPPOSED to be game over. Imagine playing as killer having to chase the same survivor for who knows how long because they keep opening the exit gate a minute amount before running away like a gremlin the moment your terror radius is even remotely audible. If a killer got to the exit gate AND the hatch before you (which trapper would have to, for you to be in the situations you described)? That sounds like a skill issue.

This discussion has been closed.