If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

The Oni is in a bad state

Options
tak47888
tak47888 Member Posts: 125
edited February 14 in Feedback and Suggestions

This Killer has been receiving nerf after nerf since release: Triple Base Kit nerf from release: Longer activation time for blood fury, longer pallet break animation in blood fury, hard cap on turn rate and additional unnecessary nerfs on add-ons (which most of aren't even good in the first place). And most currently, slow-mo bugs and weird turn rate in blood fury since last Patch.

He does not need many adjustments, just set him back to his PTB form. Currently, he is just a mess.

Make this Killer fun to play again, please. Thank you.

Post edited by BoxGhost on

Comments

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 7,984
    Options

Only thing I find annoying about playing him in the forced camera movement. He has an extended lunge with his club, but you're gonna be looking at the sky if you try to use it.

• KazRen
    KazRen Member Posts: 157
    Options

He's fine for the most part. He could use some better/different addons and some buffs to absorption mode but that's it.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,172
    Options
  • Caiman
    Caiman Member Posts: 2,080
    Options

He's another SoloQ stomper so I've never enjoyed playing against Oni. Don't really enjoy playing as him either.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,734
    Options

I feel like Oni is still very strong and he really only gets hard countered when you get a good team who can deny him his first hit for as long as possible. He destroys most public lobbies

• Azulra
    Azulra Member Posts: 397
    Options

The 180 degree flicks I believe aren't actually a part of him, but rather people cranking up their PC settings like crazy because no matter how high I would put my turn sensitivity on controller I can't seem to rarely even reach a 90 degree turn.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 6,645
    edited February 13
    Options

i get first hits on Oni within 30-40 second of the match and I end up losing with 2 kill/2 escape games. the teams that make Oni lose are teams that actually know how to loop Oni in demon fury and gen-rush effectively while injured.

-------

I forgot what his nerfs were from PTB:

These are ones that I remember off the top of my head

-> Demon strike pallet break increased from 1 second -> 2 seconds.

-> Survivors during demon fury no longer drop blood when injured.

-> Added restrictive turn angle when using demon dash up to 90 degrees.

-> Putting someone in dying state during Demon fury depletes 7 second of demon fury gauge // Tear-Soaked Tenuqui & Ink lion now reduce penalty of demon fury instead of increasing demon fury duration.

Deathslinger/Spirit patch

-Scalp Top Knot

-> Reduces the Charge speed of Demon Dash by -0.5 seconds(Was 1 second).

==============

My biggest problem in these nerfs is nerf #4 and Scalp Top Knot nerf. Oni as a character is suppose punish survivors rushing generator while injured and the way he does that is that he slugs people which slows down generator progression when he has surplus of orbs. Nerf #4 is designed to discourage killer from slugging which prevent him from punishing survivors when injured.

It artificially reduces his demon fury duration to 35 seconds and there is also activation time of 3 seconds, an activation time for charge(2 seconds) and cooldown for downing survivors(3 second). Adding all these mini-cooldown and you get like 30 second power-up. 30 second is too short for Oni to slug at base-kit.

The change actively punishes the killer for being successful at using the ability with only way to mitigate the problem with Lion fang add-on.

The second change that I disagree with is Scalp Top Knot. With 90 degree turning angle, the activation time of the charge is too high for his 90 degree turning angle. Chucky in comparison has 1 second charge time for his Slice & Dice. This changes forces Oni to use a specific turning angle exploit to have relevant chase potencial in demon fury vs stronger looper's. Dead angling Oni demon fury is unfun mechanic because there is no counter-play for Oni to get a hit other than not using the ability. advanced killer tricks should be optional, not mandatory to be relevant. If there is insist on removing the killer trick then at least buff Oni's base demon fury charge to 1.5 seconds. Oni should be scary strong in the chase, not be a worse version of chucky and blight's ability.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 5,954
    Options

He could use some better add-ons (half of his add-ons are good) but that's about it. His base-kit is fine.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,734
    Options

Fair enough, honestly I am not that invested in Oni either way tbh. I don't really enjoy playing him and I do not particularly enjoy going against him (but I would take Oni over certain other killers).

I just don't want to see him buffed that is for sure, I only play solo queue and it is rare that Oni doesn't destroy my random solo team.

• Depressedlegion
    Depressedlegion Member Posts: 272
    Options

I think you have a point with nerf #4, but the addon is fine because it is and insta down attack, which is more powerful than Chucky's slice and dice. He can also use it as a full on mobility rather than a short dash, which is why his is 2 seconds vs Chucky's one second.

• tak47888
    tak47888 Member Posts: 125
    Options

Uff, this would be a massive nerf. There are a lot of Survivors out there knowing exactly how to outplay an Oni. Imagine you can not get a survivor with your power around fences, LT Walls or literally any sharp object whatsoever. You just would have to chase them by foot in this case which would make his playstyle way less fun and way more boring for Survivors trying to dodge . No, in my opinion 180 should be basekit like it was in the very beginning. This is the only thing that makes him an A Tier Killer. He has the weakest early game of all Killers. He has to hit two healthy Survivors to get his power. If you waste your Power once against a good team of Survivors, you are done. No, no, his Power has to be strong, I mean really strong.

• Volcz
    Volcz Member Posts: 1,116
    Options

I want what you're smokin.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 6,645
    Options

Right but you can walk as chucky until your in range to hit the survivor with the dash, at that point, it is functional the same as Oni's demon fury in loops and between loops. Instant down for killer is great because you save time as killer from not needing to hit the survivor twice however Oni takes long time to get his innately power and instant down loses value if everyone stays injured in the mid-late game. Oni needs to be able to punish survivors staying injured in mid-late game and that drawback specifically makes it difficult to do that. it is too easy to starve Oni between 1-4 gens and too easy gen-rush on final gen/end-game. He'd have better slug pressure in early game without the dying state penalty and his anti-loop would be less reliant on the 180 flick if part of add-on was put into his base-kit.

I think he's pretty solid outside of his exploitable weaknesses but those weakness make him not as fun to play in my opinion.

• Rogue11
    Rogue11 Member Posts: 1,282
    Options

Fix the turn rate exploit and we can talk

• emetSdidnothingwrong
    emetSdidnothingwrong Member Posts: 285
    Options

He could use some QOL changes and a few add on buffs to be sure but honestly his base kit is mostly fine the only thing I would change is make him break pallets the same speed as bubba and Billy.

• hadesDBD
    hadesDBD Member Posts: 7
    Options

Probably the most balanced killer in the game. I don't think a single change is needed

• HolyDarky
    HolyDarky Member Posts: 240
    Options

Oni is a good spot. In my opinion he is still one of the most fearsome killers in the game as he can punish survivors really hard with one blood fury. He is also really funny to play as and against.

However, some of his addons are either bad or pointless and need a rework/tweak. In addition, it would be great if he would not lose 4seconds of his power when he picks up a survivor because this feels like a punishment for hooking and slugging survivors which is just bad. It would be great to get rewarded for ending the power and hooking the survivor. I think this would also be better for the survivorside as slugging feels not great.

Another issue is that he struggles on some maps such as Garden Of Joy, Badham, or The Game but this is rather a map issue for M1-killers in general than an Oni issue.

• VomitMommy
    VomitMommy Member Posts: 1,024
    Options

Oni is quite strong and fun imo, but you need to get used to playing most of your game low on gens. Your game usually starts with 3 gens left...

And you better hope you are not going to play on The Game...

• JustAShadow
    JustAShadow Member Posts: 119
    edited February 15
    Options

He would be boring and predictable without 180 flicks, not to mention that his high level potential would be massively gimped if they removed them.

Post edited by JustAShadow on
  • VomitMommy
    Options

I will never get why to remove those techs in first place unless it's really game breaking (Blight J Flick was kinda broken imo). It just makes those killers more fun and interesting, isn't that what BHVR should want?

Wesker is good example, he has many techs and that's part of why he is so popular, because those things increase skill ceiling.

I think console players are just jealous...

Xeno had fishing (pulling tail down over object), that's mostly impossible, or way harder from what I tested.

Chucky flick, gone.

How often you see those killers now? It's just a pitty imo. Neither of those seemed game breaking to me.

• BlightedTrapper
    BlightedTrapper Member Posts: 312
    Options

If the issue is console player jealousy, shouldn't the solution be to enable them to partake in the techs as well?

• VomitMommy
    Options

Sure, I don't mind. Issue is they will probably not be able to do it, even if you somehow allowed to increase DPI to thousands, because of lack of precision with controller.

Some techs are insanely hard even with mouse, like Pyramid Head's flick, or Billy's LoPro flick (that's probably hardest I can think of).

I don't think there is a chance to get those with controller, but those things simply increase skill ceiling for those killers and make them more interesting in my opinion.

But some consoles are able to use mouse/keyboard, right? So those should be able to do it.

• LeFennecFox
    LeFennecFox Member Posts: 1,138
    Options

He's very strong especially on pc where you can do an entire 180 flick