why is the player base decreasing?

Options

Comments

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,639
    Options

The playerbase decreases a lot, but it’ll go back up for the next chapter.

• woundcowboy
    woundcowboy Member Posts: 1,994
    Options

That’s exactly the case, and correlates with the delusional people in this thread saying that killer is easy.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 4,921
    Options

Depends mainly what's available on Steam, alongside what PC players are enjoying currently and a whole host of other stuff. It's too wide to pinpoint one particular thing.

As you say rightly, this is just the Steam charts. According to Activeplayer.io DBD had the most players in a single day that it has ever had since a few years back, across all platforms (~1,600,000) and although the average monthly player is a bit down than usual, it's still well over 7,000,000 averge players a day across all platforms.

So I'd conclude the Steam drop (albeit it's really around the lower number of the average it's had for some time) is a Steam-related scenario. Steam may have games coming out people want to play more, or are burned out from DBD. However, there is no singular reason why this is the case.

• ImWinston
    ImWinston Member Posts: 188
    Options

sorry, but did you read the whole text or did you stop at the title?

*** ...and I'm not saying dbd is dying.***

***In theory the player base should increase and not decrease.***

I never said the player count is bad🤣

• OwlWithMustache
    OwlWithMustache Member Posts: 57
    Options

Steam charts brought up, opinion disregarded

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,461
    edited February 12
    Options

I did read. I read the whole thread. The only part of your post I take issue with is I don't see this player decline. 14 months of a very stable player base that shifts around 30'000 is not a decline.

However a big portion of my post was not aimed at you. I was more responded to a lot of the rest of the thread, that seemed to jump on the chance to spin their own narrative, despite having no, or at best extremely flimsy evidence to support it.

In answering your question directly see this post above:

The 'dip' in the player base falls quite in line with the end of lockdown, particularly in the US, and it remains very stable after that.

• FilthyLegionRevival
    FilthyLegionRevival Member Posts: 304
    Options

It's why I've mainly stuck to killer this week for the modifier. I'm only one person but I know those people have an amazing game when there's a killer that plays well and doesn't do that.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,450
    Options

Steam charts only tell part of the story. Most of the playerbase is on the consoles, and those numbers we cannot ever know. So we guess the patterns are similar across all platforms, not an unreasonable thing to do, but in the end just a guess.

• ChuckingWong
    ChuckingWong Member Posts: 188
    Options

Oh yeah the OP knows.

OP failed at a bait and a gotcha its kinda funny🤣

• I_Cant_Loop
    I_Cant_Loop Member Posts: 261
    Options

OK - because it makes total sense that the trend would be way different on other platforms, right?

• sickdeathfiend
    sickdeathfiend Member Posts: 130
    Options

because solo-q is a bully simulator instead of fun. All my friends quit because of it, although I stuck around because I also like to play killer. Too much camping, tunnelling and oppressive killers for soloq to have fun with.

• KazRen
    KazRen Member Posts: 183
    Options

SoloQ is pretty bad, Lights out wasn't a good enough event, normally there is a decrease around the time of the ptb which I'm guessing is because burn out, and the mid chapter only had 1 appealing thing that being billy.

• appleas
    appleas Member Posts: 1,061
    Options

If the lunar new year did happen this year, more people would be playing. However since the only thing people got was Lights Out, people just decided to take a break.

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279
    edited February 13
    Options

Game is bad for new players and old players are probably tired of repairing generators for 25 years now

Post edited by Rizzo on
  • Ricardo170373
    Ricardo170373 Member Posts: 632
    Options

Because play killer is stressfull and play soloQ is miserable.

• Paternalpark
    Paternalpark Member Posts: 449
    Options

While dbd is at an all time low in regards to player base, its still massive for a 7 year old game.

I think bhvr dropped the ball on soloq balancing and then had the nerve to say it's a skill issue.

I find killer should be at 50% win rate. I'm an individual and have to rely on no one but myself. I want to earn my kills. Buffing killers to get a 60% win rate overall is not balance, it's just something to say, "Hey look guys, killer ain't so stressful, we gave you +10% on a coin flip."

Survivor role should have a preset dialog option as it does in the mobile version. If one developer thinks it's fine and the community requests it, then why not?

Big question is why touch Quick Gambit first but leave Decisive Strike till end of the year?

It's cause they don't care if soloq is miserable and I'm glad the community is doing what it should in respect to that.

P.S

I had to quit soloq for the first time in 5 years. So this is me projecting I suppose.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,734
    Options

Over the years I have been playing DBD on and off (since Jan 2019) I have seen the player base go up and down but it always seems to end up settling at around 30-35k players on Steam. I think its because it tends to lose old players at a similar rate that it gains new players.

Specific chapters will bring in fans of that IP, some will stay but most seem to leave but they get replaced with the next lot of noobs.

I see a few familiar names in queue on the occasions I return to play a bit but most of the players around when I started left DBD long ago

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,792
    Options

Ultimately depends on the chapter content

I mean Alan wake Alone literally didn’t bring any wow factor

• OwlWithMustache
    OwlWithMustache Member Posts: 57
    Options

There are many factors as to why those numbers mean nothing. Come back when the steam charts show 10s of thousands of players leaving in a short period rather than less than 3,000 leaving and coming back over a few months.

• alaenyia
    alaenyia Member Posts: 646
    Options

The game has been balanced for SWF game play. Solo Q has just been abandoned and forced to play with console who have no communication. Players will only take so much loss before they just leave.

• Emoba
    Emoba Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 514
    Options

It's not.

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,426
    Options

All games die.

That's the natural way things work. New games are constantly coming out competing for attention. Meanwhile, no matter how good a game is, people get bored of it and look for something new.

Maintaining an active playerbase for as long as DbD has is an amazing achievement. Time is far more of a threat to the game than any particular complaint people have about it.

In theory the player base should increase and not decrease.

Given what I mentioned above, game improvements need to be made just to keep the player base stable.

• xltechno
    xltechno Member Posts: 1,026
    Options

The main reason why many people misunderstand that it is a killer advantage is simply that the matching is not working properly.

The management is so obsessed with shortening the waiting time for matching that they create groups of survivors whose play skills are not unified.

This is the most difficult factor for SoroQ, and in other cases, even SoroQ can escape very easily.

• I_CAME
    I_CAME Member Posts: 1,149
    Options

This is a pretty poor excuse for a lack of growth. Most big games have practically the same number of players as they did during the height of the pandemic. Counterstrike, GTA, Dota 2, PUBG, etc. Good games that are enjoyable for everyone hold steady or even grow their playerbase over time.

• appleas
    appleas Member Posts: 1,061
    Options

The management is "obsessed" because people even from this forum was complaining about the wait times back then. The problem at that point in time was "There are not enough Killers to match with all the Survivors"

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,541
    Options

Burn out... for the most part

Not wanting to play a game in which Players are (for lack of better word) toxic... Killers playstyle aren't pleasant, Survivors that deal with SoloQ

Nothing new other then Killers and perks that will be nerfed 6 months after release (or the perks aren't worth it)

Lights Out is a fun gamemode but it isn't a permanent gamemode so it's not worth getting attached

• jonifire
    jonifire Member Posts: 1,437
    Options

Same for me. I quit survivor, because killer is far more chill and easier. I like the concept of survivor more, but not when I have to play like a robot perfectly.

I also dislike all nerfs that came for both sides since I started playing. They sucked all the fun out of the game. Same goes for the map reworks; no more good pallets, no good vaults, mostly deadzones. I hope they return old dead hard, iron will, ruin etc. I don‘t want useless balanced perks and killers. I want to have fun and mess around.

• RpTheHotrod
    RpTheHotrod Member Posts: 1,725
    Options

I've been an active player for awhile, but this whole 8 gen limit crap as effectively moved me from playing every day of the week to once every week or two. I don't do 3 gen camping, but im often getting the limit hit, and it's beyond frustrating. Killer players keep getting all these arbitrary rules crammed down their throat every patch to the point where it's about what the killers can't do more than it's about what they can do. I'm a friendly'ish killer that prefers to make for a fun experience for everyone (including the survivors), but it's just becoming more and more unviable and painful to have a non 3 gen camping and non tunneling playstyle as an m1 killer, and now I have to deal with a regression limit on top of that which is incredibly easy to hit if running non regression kick perks - especially if mixed in with eruption or surge.

• HeroLives
    HeroLives Member Posts: 1,985
    Options

Are you talking about the killer strike? Can we talk about that or is it taboo? I remember survivor queues being so high bc a lot of killer mains quit. On a positive note, at least the devs made some QoL changes for the killer side following that.

• WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,082
    Options

From what I remember it was basically centered around the anniversary and first resident evil chapter. We had three terrible releases in a row Binding of Kin, All-Kill, and Resident Evil. The first two had no maps, terrible realm beyond, overall weak perks, some of the worst killer design up to that point and was leaving a sour taste in the community. Then came Resident Evil, it was terrible. RPD became the most infamous map in DBD just like that and Nemesis felt, weak, boring, and uninspired. And they messed up the code and all forms of console actually became too laggy to play. Then after was Hellraiser, which would end up bogged in the NFT controversy. Yeah, it was rough time, and somewhat continued with Portrait of a Murder and Sadako Rising. All of this also being before the massive meta shake to the traditional perks like Ruin, DS, DH, cetra. And yet DBD actually started to fix things and the numbers recovered. In my memory that was the dark age of DBD and the numbers showed.

• HeroLives
    Options

Ahhh okay I missed all that(came back and there was a bunch of new content and things for me to catch up on). I was taking a little break from dbd around those times. Some other games had dropped that I was really interested in playing such as Elden ring, Gotham knights, stray and some other stuff. I’m not playing as much right now either bc suicide squad kill the justice league has me occupied(gotta get those bane infamy sets).

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,216
    Options

Not to mention Binding of Kin and its patch (4.4.0) completely broke the game. Definitely one of the worst patches in the game's history.

• HeroLives
    Options

The bugs in this game know no bounds, they can be super frustrating but in hindsight always make me laugh. Do you remember the giant survivor bug where they’d just get really huge on the screen? Still makes me laugh to this day thinking about it.

• duygu
    duygu Member Posts: 323
    Options

well i think it's because most people play to win which means playing the meta. dbd is way too shallow to have fun while playing the meta every match. yes dbd is a very basic hide and seek game at its core, only some killers can elevate the gameplay but up to a point, and the killers that break the rhythm (spirit, nurse) are cancelled, so it's just how it is. the older tryhards get bored and move on to their next competitive multiplayer and the stream of new or average casual hop on tonight players keep the train going. anyways that's my theory

• pizzavessel15
    pizzavessel15 Member Posts: 534
    Options

imo its probably the toxicity. play survivor? the killer will hit on hook, hump, shake head etc. play killer? survivors will just be tbagging you while stuff such as god loops and random god pallets save them then they all tbag and taunt you at endgame. both roles are miserable to play.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,450
    Options

I remember when Blight came out. That patch caused all Xbox1x machines (just those models mind you, not the other Xbox1's) to insta-overheat and shut down when you started up DBD. Wasn't fixed until the following hotfix, like a week later.

It's in the tech issues section. Good reads in there, the players were real understanding...

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options

Then they just leave messages on your profile. Like seriously, i have a open steam profile and can see on the comments of my profile, when i made a pause playing DbD.

This community has a serious anger problem. Treating a loss as a personal insult. Its one of the reasons i play less and less. I just wanna have fun playing a game i like. Not turn my profile to private, because i must fear the toxic comments that come after some matches.