The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

some of moris are very uncomfortable to look at please give us a way to filter specific moris

Neihel
Neihel Member Posts: 24
edited February 22 in Feedback and Suggestions

I propose the addition of a new option in the game settings, allowing players to make the screen go black and mute the audio during Mori executions. With each new killer, the kill animations have become increasingly gruesome, and having this option would give players the choice to customize their gaming experience based on their comfort levels with graphic content.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• Neihel
    edited February 20

it's an optional setting that you don't have to enable

don't be a toxic gate keeper

if you're a fan of seeing killers puke into the mouth of survivors then good for you but not everyone wants to see that

• Neihel
    edited February 20

it's pretty toxic to not read the part about this being optional and assuming I want moris to be censored for everyone which isn't the case here

why comment if you're not even going to read the body?

unless your purpose here is to just troll at least the commenter above me took the time to read it unlike you

• Neihel

Anonymous mode wasn't necessary but we still got that and that probably took a lot more dev time than the feature I'm proposing would've taken

• Neihel
    edited February 20

Anonymous mode was implemented despite the fact that only a very small minority had requested it. I believe that the development team invested significant time, possibly months, to introduce this specific feature.

The sound of Hag's traps was altered due to its impact on people's discomfort. Similarly, adjustments were made to flashlights because they were causing irritation. The blindness effect underwent a change from white to black.

The option to disable in-game chat was provided to address the discomfort it caused to some

players. Despite these changes aimed at enhancing player comfort, there is a notable absence of an optional visual filter for Moris. From the initial trapper level to the current extreme of including unsettling elements like shoving random items into survivors' mouths and eyes, the escalation in grossness is undeniable. Many horror games offer visual filters, and it raises the question of why such an option is not available here.

Behavior has consistently shown openness to toning down aspects or introducing options to make the game more accessible and comfortable for everyone. The current state of Moris, reaching levels of grossness that they have, appears to be an accessibility issue that the developers can address.

Post edited by Neihel on
  • KoreWaPantsu
    KoreWaPantsu Member Posts: 68

What's all this hate for the Plague now, it's increasing day after day. 😂

• Neihel

Anonymous mode wasn't necessary but we still got it and that feature alone most likely took more dev time than anyone can imagine

• MechWarrior3
    MechWarrior3 Member Posts: 2,093

we want a more scary and horrific game. What’s the point of playing a scary game if everything gets filtered.

• Orthane
    Orthane Member Posts: 421
    edited February 21

It's a Horror game... what kind of logic is this? Do you want to be able to disabled all weapons and screams too? You could just like... look away if something is bothering you.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,915

This idea has merit, and it could be relatively straightforward for the developers to implement. While Dead by Daylight is a horror game, it's important to consider individual preferences regarding graphic content without forcing anything on anyone.

Example: Youtube will demonetize some moris if they happen to be reported for violence, limiting the funds that can be gained.

I believe a Mori involves a series of animations and camera angles. If we alter the camera angle to focus on the Survivor's legs or feet during specific violent moments, it could make the Mori less graphic for those who prefer that without changing the mori's specific animation and potentially improve YouTube monetization prospects for the gameplay. That's how it could be done I think.

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,163

I am an avid horror fan and the more bloody and gruesome, the merrier, but I know that we are not all build the same. One of my swf-ers is super squeamish and she can't stand Singularities mori, for example.

So a list in the accessibility tap where you can uncheck certain killers mori would make the game more enjoyable for a lot of people.

• Callahan9116
    Callahan9116 Member Posts: 127

Its a horror game

• Bafugaboo
    Bafugaboo Member Posts: 406

There is merit to this option. This is an option that I know many would appreciate. This is a game that is set with its theme, yes. This is a multiplayer experience you might want to share with friends. If that friend will not play without filter options on some things they are not okay with how is that a bad thing. It does not take away from what the true fans of the genre want it only allows others to enjoy the game who would not normally.

• TwitchVO
    TwitchVO Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 6
    edited February 21

I'm sorry, but this is a horror game about murdering people. Doctor makes me physically ill every now and then because he directly relates to my illness, but I don't tell BHVR to stop showing me hallucinations or give me the option to tone him down. At that point why the hell would I even play?

Please play a different game if a game about murdering people and torturing them to death gets too much, because this is literally what I asked for by buying Dead by Daylight. Idk what you bought it for but you bought a horror game.

• lxapeo
    lxapeo Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 1

Rooting against accessibility is rooting against BHVR. So you're all saying that you don't want people to give them money because if the images on their screen don't match yours, they're a wimp. Cool story.

• geekjosh
    geekjosh Member Posts: 1

The duration of a blink is on average 100–150 milliseconds according to UCL researcher and between 100 and 400 ms according to the Harvard Database of Useful Biological Numbers.

It takes quite literally less than a second to close your eyes. This is a non issue.

Even if it took the devs an hour to implement this, I'd still rather them spend that hour on anything else with the game.

• caligraph
    caligraph Member Posts: 359

just close your eyes, you have a built in censor already.

• AWAKENTHEDEAD
    AWAKENTHEDEAD Member Posts: 4

I get it but it is a horror game. I could see a filter setting for like arachnophobia if you have a fear of spiders, should they add a spider killer, like the game Grounded did but that's also not a horror game so it makes sense.

If you don't like the mori animations, you're in luck! Because they don't happen that often. And if they bother you when they do happen then maybe it isn't the game for you. Just seems like there's more important things to work on within the game than adding an option to censor the horror out of a horror game.

• Bradcore
    Bradcore Member Posts: 68

Why would you play a horror game if you are uncomfortable with the expected themes?

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 6,014
    edited February 21

to be fair i holding back creativity because some people are scared of vomit, clowns, blood ect. is a bad thing

especially when a mori is the end of the game, just look at ur phone or press the windows key

• Gaminboi2864
    Gaminboi2864 Member Posts: 16

Is it really gate keeping? People are scared of clowns in real life, yet we have a clown in game. It's not really an argument of accessibility, and is more so against the general theme of the game. I cannot stomach the Clown's mori, but I deal with it because it's part of the game's theme, unsettling horror. Along with that, anonymous mode is helpful because of hackers targeting streamers, stream sniping, and the inappropriate names people have that can demonotize a stream. Censoring these moris have no merit, especially since it's a core part of the game's theme.

• gyajoy
    gyajoy Member Posts: 56

Neihel, I personally don't like clowns mori because the skull cracking sound and the limb tearing is too much for me. My advice is Tab out when a disturbing mori is about to happen. If you're a console player maybe just take off your headphone and look away for a bit. It's a quick animation and it doesn't happen every match.

• pigslittlepet
    pigslittlepet Member Posts: 483

This is a horror game. If you don't want to see gruesome things play something else.

• Chilli_man2400
    Chilli_man2400 Member Posts: 2,893
    edited February 22

I feel honored

Post edited by BoxGhost on
  • flotaku
    flotaku Member Posts: 60

The fact that people genuinely argue against an optional feature that would not impact their experience whatsoever is mind boggling to me.

"This is a horror game, deal with it or play something else" like what the actual f

Why do you guys think it's necessary to act like such a douche here?

Some people are sensitive to certain things. This game is very mild in terms of gore. The only real exceptions are the Moris. What's wrong with someone wanting to enjoy DBD, but not being able to stomach certain things?

There is not a single good argument to be made against an optional filter here.

• flotaku
    flotaku Member Posts: 60

Can you give me one good argument, why an OPTIONAL filter for Moris is a bad thing? Please.

• Shylacia
    Shylacia Member Posts: 3

Then don't play. It is a horror game. Stop being so dang sensitive. If you don't like the gore then don't play.

• JackRabbitTM
    JackRabbitTM Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 1
    edited February 22

While I see where you're coming from, the fact of the matter is, it is in fact a horror game. Horror games especially are often known for more gruesome parts to it. I'd say if you're getting executed by a mori you're not fond of, just look away. More gruesome moris have been something a large part of the community actually wanted to see, and thats why the developers have put more time into crafting more gruesome moris. Having a setting to water them down seems incredibly unnecessary to me when you can simply close your eyes to not have to see it.

I also wanted to mention in regards to some of your replies, I would actually argue that Annonymous mode was necessary. Dead by Daylight has become an incredibly Streamer heavy game in the last few years. There are probably dozens if not hundreds of people who stream themselves playing this game, many of which do it regularly and even full time. Anonymous mode, while maybe not necessary for average Joes like you or me, Streamers use it to protect the identity of their account as people often love to target them in games. And some people simply prefer not having their names displayed which they wouldn't be able to do without this option. Heck, I'd even argue that anonymous mode is an option that's not used enough in games.

• KateMain86
    KateMain86 Member Posts: 2,374

Giving the player the option to censor something for their experience of the game is not censoring it for you. Its no different from games that have profanity and gore filters. This suggestion doesn't affect anyone but the individual player.

• MadameExotine
    MadameExotine Member Posts: 177
    edited February 22

You can click the pause/esc button and you won't see it if it bothers you (it gets censored by pause screen). And since a Mori = game over for survivor, it won't affect gameplay if you hit pause/esc during Mori animation.

It's not the same as some of the other changes that were made for player comfort which happens during gameplay and effect gameplay.

• BreadLord
    BreadLord Member Posts: 274

"Devs help, I forgor how to close my eyes 💀 "

• ArkInk
    ArkInk Member Posts: 651

People aren't after you cause they're ableist man, there's just ready a solution to your problem. Look away, take the headphones off, mute the TV, whatever, you don't have to see or hear anything you don't want to.

Dev time on QoL is so limited that updating lobby screens is projected to take years. If something is going to be added, even if it's small, it should at least be something that doesn't already have a solution, y'know?

• ToonLinkGotT
    ToonLinkGotT Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 1

That seems... unnecessary.

I can understand the thought of some of the moris being too gruesome to handle, but just... look away. Why would they go into all the extra effort to add the option to censor gruesome animations (in a HORROR game mind you) when you could just simply close your eyes, no one's forcing you to look at the kills you know.

• Rizzo
    Rizzo Member, Administrator, Mod Posts: 17,664

Closing this here, as some users were simply attacking OP instead of discussing the suggestion.

Just a quick reminder to please be constructive and respectful, even when you completely disagree with an idea.

Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.