If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

The NEED for competitive mode

Options
acoldboy
acoldboy Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 11
edited February 25 in Feedback and Suggestions

Why on gods green earth do comp players and people who play casually have to be lumped together? Wanna be mid tier killers will play in the most unfun way to feel "pro".

Survivors who wanna be gods will do the same and be rude to killers who are just trying to play the game. It's shocking that a game this popular doesn't have this yet. EVERY other game does.

Come on, take a break from a chapter (LIKE R6S DID) and fix this game.

Post edited by EQWashu on

Comments

• Rulebreaker
    Rulebreaker Member Posts: 1,464
    Options

Can you please explain how having it would help? Probably list the pros and cons too.

• acoldboy
    Options

I was playing OW2 today lol, it feels much better than OW1

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,734
    Options

We already have comp mode - custom games.

The only issue is that there are no game rewards like BP from these matches but most of the comp people I know mostly only play customs as public matches don't really teach them anything since the average random survivor/killer isn't very good at the game.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,734
    Options

I will say though I wish there was a comp queue that disabled challenges so I don’t have teammates throwing the game for them

• acoldboy
    Options

M y problem mainly is seemingly the switch to a pure MMR system has been a benchmark of when the game has felt unplayable 'Toxic" for a lack of a better word. I have played this game since launch, and it was never EVER like this back then, and eve, when i started playing after a break picking back up in 2021 it wasn't this "try hard". Competitive games make everyone THINK they are at the TOP of their bracket, and that enforces playstyles that affect the game. Take OW GOATS as an example, running that in the lowest tier of play against people just playing the game. Make a place for this game to be fun. I don't see why so many people have a problem with tunneling being addressed. You as a killer effectively hold the power of someone else fun and enjoyment of this game in your hands, and tunneling for the sake of mmr in a game where a majority of people just want to play the game feels heinous to me.

• Saiph
    Saiph Member Posts: 294
    Options

In OW2 the casual queue is much more chill than your average DBD match. Not completely sweat-free, but much less than DBD, and much less than OW2's own competitive queue.

In contrast, in DBD, I've already faced tournament players myself a few times and if you look at tournament streamers like Momo7 (the guy who has 2000 winstreak on Blight) then he faces clearly inexperienced survivors who give up at 5 gens in half his matches. If there was a competitive queue at least this type of matches would not occur.

• acoldboy
    Options

Making a more cohesive MMR system seems like the way to go. Of course separating the 2 groups would affect queue times, ETC. In the stat of the KILLS = WINS, ESCAPES = WINS, it just forces killers to play one way, and makes survivor extremely hard to do.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 7,956
    Options

No, getting more kill and escape is the final goal of the game, killers are to kill, and survivors are to survive. MMR system does NOT tell you, or force you to kill and escape as win. You dont even know your MMR to attempt to claiming it up.

The whole point of MMR is just "You escape/kill alot means you're good/sweaty alot and push you up against people who are good/sweaty alot". Nothing else. I dont understand why most killers try to climb a number they dont see.

• tjt85
    tjt85 Member Posts: 615
    Options

They would spend 10 minutes to queue up for a match, only to find themselves playing against the same handfull of players all day anyway.

So the top MMR Killers and Survivor teams would be back in the casual queue before long (this is especially true if they're also streamers, because their audiences won't want to watch DBD queue simulator).

• tjt85
    tjt85 Member Posts: 615
    edited February 24
    Options

If that's the case, then they already have a mode to play in and a way to organise their matches. They don't need to join the public queues to find a game but I bet plenty of comp players still do. Besides, the comp players in top MMR are probably only a tiny percentage of an already tiny percentage of DBD players.

Why would BHVR put resources into a mode that only a very small fraction of the player base would find useful or appealing? Without shards or something to play for I wouldn't touch a comp mode, but even an average Killer like myself can be too much for some Survivor teams to handle. So I doubt it would remove enough competitively minded players from the public pool to make matches in the standard queue much more casual than they currently are.

• GolbezGarlandGabrant
    GolbezGarlandGabrant Member Posts: 801
    Options

Then people would gatekeep what is casual and what is competitive as if competitive people can't play casual. People would just expect easy games in casual.

• xltechno
    xltechno Member Posts: 971
    Options

There are two ways to solve a problem by adding a new mode.

One is to display the presence of survivors with extremely high survival rates and killers with high kill rates when waiting in the lobby. If this means eliminating matching, killers will no longer be concerned about kill rate, and survivors will no longer be concerned only with survival. Only those who truly want to compete will continue to wait for a match. There are no problems.

Another option is to have players choose between two abilities, Modern and Classic, like in Street Fighter 6. This will also be displayed while you are in the lobby. Survivors who don't know anti-tunneling or anti-camping tactics are protected by a rich base kit of modern abilities, but with slight debuffs to generator repair and movement speed.

• sinkra
    sinkra Member Posts: 287
    Options

It would be the opposite. The point of having a ranked and casual mode is that the ranked mode has very strict matchmaking while casual mode mixes everyone up (like we have now). If a ranked mode existed all the casuals would play to avoid the mismatched MMR it while on try-hards would be left in casual mode to fight each other.

• PreorderBonus
    PreorderBonus Member Posts: 134
    Options

Literally the solution is to start putting more focus on hooks rather than kills. Survivors are happy escaping even if everyone had only one hook left, and killers should be happy if they hooked everyone twice. So the game should reward you for doing so

• Saiph
    Saiph Member Posts: 294
    Options

I guess we should ask these top players directly but given that half of the matches are just: (1) killer gets a down in 10 sec, (2) survivor DC's, (3) Five painful minutes of cleaning up the 3 remaining survivors - there's a chance they wouldn't mind 10 minutes of queue to not get these pointless matches.

Again, picking the OW2 example that somebody mentioned, top DPS players have 10-20 minutes of queue in competitive, and yet they still prefer to queue in competitive. There's almost nobody who queues in quick play.

• xltechno
    Options

It's true.

Any player who wants to compete seriously would be happy to accept a strict MMR in exchange for 10 minutes of waiting time.

• Snowbawlzzz
    Snowbawlzzz Member Posts: 1,415
    edited February 24
    Options

Comp mode would be DOA with half-hour queues

Online games have learned that splitting up the queues is a net loss for player engagement.

• FilthyLegionRevival
    FilthyLegionRevival Member Posts: 303
    Options

I actually had a Reaper get pissy for playing Rein. Complimented the team and he wanted to say he was the one doing everything. Egos are not exclusive to any game, sadly.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,857
    Options

The problem is conflating sweaty players doing everything they can to win with "competitive players".

Most "competitive players" simply like the thrill of winning, they're not playing for the challenge. They won't be able to do that so easily in "comp mode". They'll just play casual mode so they can continue to stomp more casual players with their cheese tactics.

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,747
    edited February 25
    Options

Never going to happen

Nobody is going to play a Comp mode without serious incentives, especially not the "sweaty" players you're complaining about

Post edited by EQWashu on
  • saym
    saym Member Posts: 81
    edited February 24
    Options

So Lights out is on and queue times in normal mode have increased?

Developers cannot use time as an excuse.

• AmpersandUnderscore
    AmpersandUnderscore Member Posts: 1,204
    Options

Lights out is the pinnacle example of why comp mode would not work.

That game mode had literally zero. ZERO. 'Gen rush' built in, yet every single game was tunnel and camp. You can make it 'casual' or 'fun' as much as you want, and simply because one team has only one player, if that player decides it's time to sweat, well your match is suddenly competitive.

That's why a competitive mode will never work in an asymm game. In a symmetric game the 'one sweaty player' gets diluted by playing on a 'casual team', but that can't ever happen when one team is only one player.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,278
    Options

I hope I'm wrong, but I feel the #1 thing it would actually accomplish would be seperating the actual competitive mindset high skill players that welcome stiff competition from the "pubstomper" style ones, the ones that go 110% but also immediately scream at 130 decibels the moment they run into opponents doing the same.

Guess who would actually go to a functional ranked mode promising tougher competition. Not the ones that would read "casual" and actually see "a mode where I get to try as if my life depends on it but no one else is allowed to do it"

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,760
    Options

Playing the game to win by intended ways barely counts as "scummy"

• Katzengott
    Katzengott Member Posts: 1,189
    edited February 24
    Options

I don't think modes like "casual" or "comp / pro / whatever" would work. What would stop ppl from "abusing" these modes and play how they want? Maybe a "comp mode" with perk restrictions... like they have in comp? But why solos would play that? So you have to think about queue times. Lights out did work tho, but mainly because it added something unique for both sides.

Overall i like the idea of more optional, time limited gamemodes. But the more they implement, the more it will effect queue times.

So there should be only 1 optional, time limited gamemode at any time.

• xltechno
    Options

MMR is complaining that I'm at my limit, so it's a good idea to separate the game modes. Of course, waiting time will increase.

I don't agree with the idea that casual bullies remain. Survivors keep complaining about killers who are stronger than them, even if he are not bullies. It is more beneficial for casual players to have relatively strong players leave as a percentage of the population.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,304
    edited February 27
    Options

What would be the incentive for players to play this mode over the main one? Harder challenge alone wouldn't provide enough people to matter imo.

And how would we keep the sweats out of the casual area, looking to stomp and pillage? We already have a brutal lobby shopping problem borking up their matchmaking...

Post edited by JPLongstreet on
  • Komi
    Komi Member Posts: 363
    Options

Why is it always a want for "Competitive"? What about a game mode that's expressly made for total casual player, like a timed match where survivors cant die and the match is spent farming points by seeing how many hooks/repairs can be achieved. It feels like what we currently have to play IS the competitive mode for better or worse.

• Feneroe
    Feneroe Member Posts: 198
    Options

"Survivors are happy winning, so killers should be happy losing" is a pretty terrible take. Escape is a win for survivor. An equivalent to killer getting hooks but no kills would be if survivors were just happy completing generators even if they die, but they're not.

• caramelpudding
    caramelpudding Member Posts: 118
    Options

MMR needs to go. The overall performance should matter, not kills/escapes.

• PreorderBonus
    Options

That's why I'm saying the game should focus on hook count rather than kill count. I main killer, and I consider 8 hooks a win because I know that I didn't tunnel and I earned a lot of points. Having 8 to 12 hooks should be considered a win for the killer, and that change would simultaneously make the game better for survivors too.

• xltechno
    Options

If that's the case, Survivor's goal will still be to escape, and Killer's goal will be to complete 12 hooks before Survivor escapes. Survivors die when hooked and respawn in random locations, eliminating the concept of tunnels or camps. The chase will probably take less than 30 seconds and will not prevent the gen from completing. Horror leaves.

• PreorderBonus
    Options

Doesnt sound too bad, honestly.

I think youre a bit late, though, horror left this game years ago. But besides that, this is supposed to be for an hypothetical competitive dbd scene, i highly doubt that people interested in playing it still care about the "horror" aspect.

• ChaosWam
    ChaosWam Member Posts: 1,115
    edited February 25
    Options

Honestly, I remember match times didn't feel too bad when Lights Out was live. And I guarantee competitive would have a longer load time anyway, unless they rewarded something a lot of people would want.

And after seeing so many hyper-competitive players, I think a place for them to be would be nicer. Would make the normal game a little less toxic as well. Just a little.

Only issue is, DBD isn't very balanced for comp.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,172
    Options

A comp mode would only make it worse, if anything. If you want to dominate, then why wouldn't you simply use the strongest things you have and sweat your ass off in casual lobbies?

There is however something you can do. And that is to stop sweating yourself. Learn to take a loss, if you don't want to play serious. Your MMR will adjust and put you with people that are more on that level.

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105
    Options

Exactly.

We should avoid this game to be like comp and avoid a mode that is in any way similar to comp.

Comp DBD is the least enjoyable version of the game. The only positive aspect of it is that it shows many issues this game might have.

• Adrien
    Adrien Member Posts: 82
    edited February 26
    Options

DBD doesn't need a separated comp queue/casual queue.

DBD needs a more accurate/relevant MMR system where you don't see a 300 h survivor in a lobby of sweaty 2k hours survivors, against a 2k hours sweaty killer.

Let's just sacrifice " little bit" of queue time comfort and I'm sure we can have more balanced games, where casuals meet casuals and sweaties meet sweaties 95 % of the time.

At the moment it's all over the place and unpleasant for both profiles.