The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Shattered Hope Basekit + a extra change

I think shattered hope as a perk is really stupid, you shouldnt need a perk to destroy boon totems, while survivors can just re-bless totems, meanwhile hexes which are stronger once cleansed are gone forever, (I think you get more value from boons since you can use them all game pretty much depending on the map) (midiwch against a boon player is hell)

I think a cool change would be making it basekit BUT a cool feature would be being able to destroy your own hex totems, so say your running Haunted grounds, you could destroy it to get the effect then if you had pentimento you can reignite it to get the pentimento stack.

Comments

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,524

I don't think boons are strong enough at the moment to warrant this. So we would need to buff them in return, which becomes problematic for killers who can't just go look for the totem.

It would also become extremely disgusting when survivors can play around Plaything for example and ignore the totems but then you can destroy them yourself to get Pentimento.

So this would cause more issues than it would solve. The first part is especially hard to work around. Because maps and killers have a big impact on the effectiveness of a boon and therefore Shattered Hope base kit too.

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 4,179

Boons are not good enough, only one of them was ever amazing and it got nerfed. Also free Haunted and Pentimento procs are a terrible idea.

• OneAutumnLeaf
    OneAutumnLeaf Member Posts: 103

I think you guys severely underestimate the usefulness of boons on certain maps,

boons for the most part arent great sure

but on maps like leerys and midwich it makes you game absolute HELL

and its not a free pentimento proc your destroying one of your other hex totems for said proc. i think its a completely fair trade off.

• OneAutumnLeaf

boons need to be removed entirely they are fundamentally unfair and unbalanced, go against a full boon squad on leerys and mdiwch then tell me they arent strong...

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 4,179

Free 60s of Exposed and free 30% gen slow down is not a fair trade off. The only hexes people would destroy are trap hexes.

If you're having this much trouble with Boons after the Circle nerf then that's a you problem I'm afraid.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,607

Boons are not designed to be single-use, it runs completely contrary to their entire design space and would be a change that actually kills the perk concept. People have a bad habit of saying boons aren't strong enough to be broken basekit, and therefore would need to be buffed, but there's no amount you could buff most of the boons by that'd overcome the fact that they aren't designed to be destroyed this way.

Shattered Hope is stupid, because you shouldn't be able to do that at all and because you can't guarantee a team actually has any boons. The answer to that is not to make it basekit, it's to either fully rework it or give it some effect when there aren't any boons in play.

Destroying your own hexes is a VERY bad idea. On-demand Haunted Grounds and Pentimento would be miserable to go against.

• OneAutumnLeaf

Boons should be single use tbh, Hexs are high risk high reward, boons are no risk high reward.... its not fair in the slightest more so when you get 4 people running that bs on midwch. .

• OneAutumnLeaf

Yeah its my problem that I run into a p100 swf who take me to midwich and all are running a full boon build and I cant find them bc shadow step and dark theory....yeah thats totally a me problem... .

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,607

They're completely different perk types, the only similarity is that they're based around totems.

They're not designed the same way. Boons are zones of moderate buffs that typically encourage being placed close to the action so that you can actually use them, which means that the killer's able to snuff them easier, which means the killer gains slowdown from the boons being re-applied.

Hexes, by contrast, are powerful map-wide effects that the survivors want to go out of their way to remove. You want hex totems as far away from the action as possible, as a very stark contrast to boons.

What works as balancing for one wouldn't necessarily work as balancing for the other.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 6,014
    edited February 25

If they do make Shattered Hope base-kit, then CoH would have to return to its full glory and other boon perks would have to be buffed big time and I do not want to go back to the CoH era even with base-kit boon breaking, that alone was a huge factor that made me take a break from DBD.

That said I think Shattered Hope could use some changes. It could probably be a cool bloodpoint farming perk. Allows you to stomp dull totems and then rekindle them into hex totems, and each time you rekindle crush a totem you gain a token that grants +25% more bloodpoints like BBQ's tokens. Stacks with Pentimento too. (Had a brain fart and forgot how Pentimento worked) Too bad BHVR is really shy about adding more grinding methods cause le bloodpoints valuable!!!

Post edited by glitchboi on
  • xltechno
    xltechno Member Posts: 1,026

For now, as a common change to hex, I would like to see a change to a system where hex totems that have been Booned will trigger hex again if they are crushed.

• OneAutumnLeaf

That would be super nice, but kinda pointless bc they would know and instantly just go to it and cleanse it, would be cool if after a while it explodes and the boon is destroyed and a dim totem becomes a hex.

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,163

Mostly true, but hexes are also not good enough in general to warrant such high risk for such mediocre reward, besides Devour and Plaything/Pentimento/Face the Darkness.

Boons and Hexes could use a complete rework

• Hex_Ignored
    Hex_Ignored Member Posts: 1,841

There isn't a single boon that's worth the time investment anymore so why do we need to nerf them even further?

• xltechno
    xltechno Member Posts: 1,026

It makes sense because the time it takes for a killer and the time it takes for a survivor are different.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,524

I did not say they weren't strong. But the only boon perk that was problematic was CoH. The others are fine.

This suggestion would make them useless. They would be in a similar spot as hex perks but worse since they first need to be set up and have weaker effects.

• OneAutumnLeaf

has nobody played against shadow step on indoor maps???? go against shadow step on leerys and tell me its not a problem...

• OneAutumnLeaf

thats the problem with this game you cant buff something without someone wanting survivors to get buffed at the exact same time, thus putting outselves in the exact same situation every damn time.

just bc killer gets a buff dosent mean survivors needs one to o, same goes vise versa.

• Hex_Ignored
    Hex_Ignored Member Posts: 1,841

So ONE boon actually does something useful on SOME very specific maps and your conclusion is to nerf all boons?

• OneAutumnLeaf
    edited February 25

every single boon is borderline cracked on indoor maps, not just one dude....

COH on a indoor small map shows you every injured survivor and lets you heal them fast

Dark Theory gives you 2% haste and if its a indoor map its almost mapwide

Shadowstep removes scratch marks and hides your aura on a indoor map your pretty much ######### and cant find/chase anyone

its not just "one" boon its a group of them on a good chunk of maps, and the fact that unlike hexs they can just spam bless them, making it pointless to snuff it so they get constant value from it.

Boons shouldnt have been released period, its a unfair mechanic that you quite literally cant ######### counter, hexes you destroy they are gone for good, but boons they just come back and rebless any totem and say ######### you.... wheres the counter play here.

thats all im ######### asking for is a genuine way to counter bo on perks without having to use a ######### perk to do so.

either do that or make it to where you can only bless a totem once each.

• YamamuraVideoRentals
    YamamuraVideoRentals Member Posts: 119

Problem is RNG, really.

A lot of time when playing killer and I have a single hex totem, it spawns across the map. Also has a high chance of being out in the open somewhere completely exposed, or right next to a generator. Sometimes survivors even spawn right next to them. And this is unacceptable.

Boons also suffer from some RNG elements because sometimes it's just hard to find totems without maps or certain perks, and then sometimes the spot isn't even that good. Sometimes the totem spots ARE good, though, and a complete annoyance for killers who sometimes have to take up to 30 seconds going out of their way to snuff it. This has happened to me on ironworks of misery with a totem spawn in upstairs main building...

I'd personally say, add more dull totems on the map. Let killers light up their own hex perks so that they can at least choose when and where to have them. And make shattered hope (minus aura reading) base kit.

• Paternalpark
    Paternalpark Member Posts: 624

No one would run boons then....

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,075
    edited February 26

you can use blood pools on indoor maps to track survivors. shadow step is ineffective perk like most survivor perks.