If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Killer accessibility visual footsteps and breathing

Options

Since survivors get visual cues, as to terror radius its more than killers get the some with grunts, breathing, and footsteps. Its ridiculous this feature isn't already here.

Comments

• Archol123
    Archol123 Member Posts: 3,632
    Options

I mean don't get me wrong, I hate to play against stealthy survivors, because I really don't like that hide and seek gameplay... But that is a little bit too much... It is completely fine if the survivors is able to lose you via great pathing or corner tech or whatever...

If you add those things you make the stealth playstyle impossible and you make spirit very easy to play... I mean just follow the visual sound cue...

• Archol123
    Options

Such a health danger is people's own choice though... They have autonomy over that and I don't think that is an argument for anything.

Besides that the word "audible" is hard to define in this context, because not only is sound very inconsistent, depending on the map, walls and certain other aspects, but also in the sense of just because something produces a noise, does not mean you would hear it... Same goes for the terror radius technically... I think the visual is much more clearer than it's audible counterpart.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,555
    Options

There is a perk called Whispers that does that.

• Archol123
    Options

Th terror radius does not get affected by walls around it and what not, which makes it probably easier to implement. Besides that I still don't think it is a good idea from a gameplay standpoint.

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,261
    edited February 27
    Options

Again, it doesn’t matter if something is easier to implement. I’m sure BHVR could figure out how to make visual footsteps work if they wanted to.

• SkeletalElite
    SkeletalElite Member Posts: 2,668
    edited February 27
    Options

If people really want they can safely crank their voulme with an audio compressor. When the volume goes above a certain level, the entire volume is reduced. This allows you to crank as much as you want but as soon as loud sounds start playing itll quiet everything. It's fairly common practice in escape from tarkov, if you google tarkov audio compressor you can find guides on how to set it up and just tweak your settings for DBD

• Coffeecrashing
    Options

And survivors could have done that with the terror radius. And BHVR made a visual terror radius anyway.

• xltechno
    xltechno Member Posts: 971
    Options

Since it becomes easier to hear depending on the distance, there is little reason to go to the trouble of changing the sound by radius.

Rather than that, I would like the dev team to fix the fact that the volume of sound varies depending on the character.

• Archol123
    Options

Maybe in 5 years or so... Considering how long it took them to put the option for anti aliasing back after accidentally removing it and stating it being a priority to being it back... Given the limited amount of time and resources I'd prefer other things to get implemented before this decade ends.

• Archol123
    edited February 27
    Options

It is not really quality of life, it is a straight up buff, because missing a sound that gets swallowed by the other sounds around is rather easy but missing a visual indicator in the middle of your screen is really not.

The visual terror radius on the other hand is different in that sense that you will not really miss it, because it stays when you are inside the terror radius, survivor noises are not that constant.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,168
    Options

You mean the perk that tells you that you loaded into a game with 4 survivors? Yeah, I can see how that is the same.

The problem with Whispers is that it doesn't tell you anything you don't already know. Survivors spread out, so the perk pretty much never turns off. It doesn't tell you how close they are, it doesn't tell you that they are running or groaning and it doesn't tell you that you should actually hear them. Besides, Spine Chill kind of had the effect of the visual TR but it was changed because BHVR decided that accessibility options should not be locked behind perks.

• TheTom20
    TheTom20 Member Posts: 364
    Options

I feel like there could something for gen sounds an hatch sounds for both sides for those deaf or hard of hearing.

For gens just have some kind of vibrating small indicator that would only display within the normal range of hearing an the vibrating indicator vibrates harder the further the gen is along an this would be for both sides. hearing gen progress through a wall can help you locate gens as survivor an it can help killers know if they need to stop near by gens.

an for hatch have a small symbol that gets wider when you are near it.

• Callahan9116
    Callahan9116 Member Posts: 126
    Options
  • Archael
    Archael Member Posts: 697
    Options

Im not defending the idea of visual breathing, footspeps, and grunts of pain, but... Argument "health danger is their own choice" can be applied to almost anything. Like people with problems with FOV being too small can just not play the game. And others too. Not every game is for everyone. Its like me, having health issues with Borderlands art style so I just not play that game.

Although, visual footsteps and grunts of pain would be extreamally beneficial to the killers just like FOV slider. It makes dbd being played in only one style - run. No more hiding, no more strategy thinking. On the other hand, those features will flaten personal advantages - people with better hearing will be not as much better against people with worse hearing.

• Archol123
    Options

Fair but then again ore running as soon as you hear the heartbeat seems to not be the best idea anyway.

• Archol123
    Options

Hold on buddy that's a bit different... If you yourself take a risk to get an advantage that is completely on you... If you get sick if you not use a certain fov you basically have no choice to play it otherwise... So this is not even comparable.

• AssortedSorting
    AssortedSorting Member Posts: 954
    edited February 28
    Options

The Heartbeat is a directionless audio effect designed to be heard with audible clarity. It adds to the atmosphere of the game “The Killer is coming, run/hide. You’ll need to hunt for the Survivors”. And whose skillful comprehension is simple: do I hear it or not. A UI element that turns on and off based on the presence of the heartbeat is simple.

Breathing/footstep audio is a different beast. It’s a directional audio effect requiring spatial reasoning to estimate the source. It’s inconsistent and can be drowned out by chase music and ability use, significantly modified by materials stepped on and distance. Skillful comprehension of this is more about competitive play, not simply entry. It and things like scratch marks/blood adds to the atmosphere of the game through a lack of precision allowing survivors the possibility to escape a chase through erratic movement.

This UI element would not be simple. And equating it to The Heartbeat is disingenuous.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,212
    Options

Just make walls not eat 90% of all sounds.

They messed with sound occlusion (or whatever its called) twice or thrice and the result was always worse than before for killers.

• Coffeecrashing
    Options

Games are allowed to have accessibility changes, even if they affect game balance.

The whole point of accessibility, is that the changes are made for the greater good, and the game can be rebalanced afterwards if needed.

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,340
    edited February 28
    Options

I mean it also counters people with lullabys intended to be drowned out. Trickster and sadako come to mind as they have the lowest for a reason. Sadako especially go to with her stealth.

• Archol123
    Options

I find Trickster and Huntress to not be an issue, as they are really big, the killer is 40 m away so what, however the smaller lullyby of Sadako basically ruins her stealth.

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,340
    edited February 28
    Options

Honestly why they havent scrapped the lullaby on her and just replaced it with flat undetectable is beyond me. She does sometimes feel like a weaker wraith. Sure wraith doesnt have the slowdown power but if he can spread damage enough he doesnt even need it. The amount of times i have all 4 survivors injured over time and just snowball the game with wraith. Its worse than killers that don't even have undetectable like say t2 myers. If myers brings rabbit and monitor he has a 6 meter tr. He can literally hit you before the mechanic can warn you. Ghostface doesnt have a lullaby and he can just mark and down. Hell he has the woosh sound but you can barely hear it lol.

• AssortedSorting
    Options

You know the "Greater Good" argument is about majority benefit at the detriment of a minority?

Contradictory to the change you want, which shifts the majority of player chases to be more deterministic with a 3D world-space Survivor tracker, ultimately causing the player to disengage with environmental clues and their interpretation of them by only following the "quest marker", for the benefit of a minority.

A minority whom should be in an MMR range where that accessibility limitation is mitigated by their opponents skill, still providing a good selection of matches. The Killer role is designed around being able to end chases quickly, not hunting Injured Survivors in perpetuity, Survivors are likely already conditioned that the Killer can hear them and thus unable to capitalize well on an opponent they don't know can't hear them perfectly.

• AssortedSorting
    Options

Yeah Sadako is a weird one.

The smaller the lullaby range, the more it becomes a locator like closer distances escalating TR music.

• Callahan9116
    Callahan9116 Member Posts: 126
    Options

Bro just say you don't like playing with people who NEED accessibility to have a chance at an even field

• AssortedSorting
    edited February 29
    Options

I like playing on an even field. And that’s what MMR should provide.

To me this issue seems niche enough whose (likely) solution changes far too much of chase:

Nearby scratch marks are no longer needed, nor their suppression useful.

Blood pools have even less purpose.

Loud noises suppression or manipulation no longer has a use (see locker perks, quick and quiet).

Nearby aura reveals are no longer effective.

Line of sight is no longer a form of counterplay in tall loops.

Post edited by AssortedSorting on
  • MechWarrior3
    MechWarrior3 Member Posts: 1,470
    Options

Then you’re probably using the wrong. It takes a little getting used to, but it can actually be incredibly useful once you know how to use it properly.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,168
    Options

The problem is that survivors spread out. So you can never really tell where exactly you need to go because Whispers doesn't even turn off to tell you, that you're in the wrong place. On the upside, there isn't really a wrong place anymore (your chances to randomly find survivors are quite high) but since most of us wouldn't go anywhere we don't at least suspect survivors to be, it's not all that useful.

Information perks that just tell you a general area you should patrol will never be good. That survivor could be on a different floor, or in any random direction except from right behind you, if the perk did turn off before. Aura reading is so good because it confirms any suspicions you have and shows the exact positions to go to. Whispers doesn't do that. Especially with it's huge range it's more like a general: "Well, you're not completely wrong here. Now find a survivor and chase them."

• MechWarrior3
    MechWarrior3 Member Posts: 1,470
    edited February 29
    Options

Again, I would disagree respectfully. I get a lot of use out of this perk, and I find survivors all the time hiding in certain areas, it’s the range of a terror radius.

I have that down pat, so I know exactly how far to go and where I need to look. A survivor definitely can’t hide from me if they are trying to do hide and seek, or especially if they are the last survivor, trying to get to the exit gate.

The best way I use it, is when I’m going in the area of the map I think a survivor will be and I noticed whispers isn’t highlighted then I leave that area of the map because obviously they are not there. Plus, I know the range in my head really well how far it will extend.

like I said, it takes some getting used to but it actually works really well, could it be improved a little bit sure but I get really good results though.