The Unknown is too powerful. Ranged power is too much!

Options

The new killer has too much control over chases. The fact this killer can teleport around and down you with a ranged splash damage attack makes chases completely unfair against this killer. His ranged power should not be able to down you. Being able to injure you is fine, but the fact this ability can also down you is too much power to deal with. This is always the problem with new killers. They are given way too much power at the start which ends up being a miserable experience for survivors. This killer has too much in its kit and needs some tuning. I'm already dreading playing against this killer and I am getting him every match.

Comments

• KateMain86
    KateMain86 Member Posts: 2,256
    Options

No. I just want the game to be fair and to be able to run from killers for more than 3 seconds before being downed by a ranged splash damage attack. This has become the new norm with killers with giving them chase control abilities. Plague is more balanced in this regard because she has to collect charges for her power to be able to do this. This killer doesn't. They start with this level of power. Its ridiculous that killer powers have gone from that to just being base kit now. This killer's power is way too much. It should not be able to down you without a condition like Plague's power.

• KateMain86
    Options

Really? In my experience its been M1, chase begins, get downed 3 seconds later from his ranged attack. Am I just going up against the cheaters or am I missing something here? This killer is overpowered. He has too much in his kit. Survivors being able to dispell his clones isn't enough. In fact I don't even really care about that part as much. Its mostly just his ranged power.

• KateMain86
    Options

You are assuming every situation this happens the survivor is not injured and not already inflicted with weakness. In many situations, its literally just 1 hit.

• dwight444
    dwight444 Member Posts: 145
    Options

I think his splash is kinda stupid

him shooting into shack and it downing me outside is kind of ehhh

• Nos37
    Nos37 Member Posts: 4,063
    Options

"apply pressure from a distance"

You mean proxy camp or tunnel/trade from anywhere on the map?

• KateMain86
    Options

I'm not this entirely anti killer survivor main you think I am. In fact I think most killers in the game are fine as they are and some could even use a buff. Its just specific things I take issue with. Certain perk combos for example or a killer power giving too much leverage in chase situations. I don't want killer mains to have a miserable experience so survivors can have a better one. I just want the game to be more engaging. There is way too much focus on giving killers range damage abilities. I think of killers like Trapper and Spirit who I think are very well designed. The Trapper requires a unique awareness because of his traps and the Spirit can traverse maps well and go invisible while doing it. They're fun to play against because I'm not constantly having to worry about dodging a projectile every few seconds but at the same time offer a unique experience. The experience with many of the recent killers hasn't been all that unique.

• MechWarrior3
    MechWarrior3 Member Posts: 1,514
    edited March 14
    Options

Jeesh, I would have hate to seen how you would’ve reacted when plague came out….especially if you think unknown is OP.

@Pulsar

• KateMain86
    Options

Plague's is more tolerable because it requires more buildup to directly damage survivors. My only issue with Plague is it seems almost impossible to dodge her projectile in the open.

• KatsuhxP
    KatsuhxP Member Posts: 315
    Options

Uniqueness is something else than being op, it's a big difference between finding them interessting to play against and them being too strong. Besides that you don't really give me any reason to think something else. Everything I saw was just a random killer or perk you said it was too op.

But even if you just find him boring to play against I'd say that I don't agree, I find him fun to play against like many others I saw so far ^^

• KateMain86
    Options

The point is ranged abilities on new killers is getting old. When will we get another killer like the Trapper? It seems like they just keep taking elements from other killers and making it part of the kit of the new one. The unknown feels like a variation of the Singularity for example. Not really unique but a bit more annoying to play against. I would prefer unknown's ranged ability to apply some other effect rather than damaging survivors.

• KatsuhxP
    KatsuhxP Member Posts: 315
    Options

I find trapper much more annoying to play against and unique? He is basically just jayson in every way, even his traps. And actually I can live with not getting more trap-killers, they are not fun to play as and against for me.

• KateMain86
    Options

This is exactly why having a feedback forum for a video game is good.

• xltechno
    xltechno Member Posts: 1,026
    Options

Either way, now that you know how to deal with it, all you have to do is put it into practice with basic loop skills and knowledge. Unknown is a slightly strong killer, but not unnecessarily strong.

• xltechno
    Options

Well, actually, I don't think there are many people who can afford to turn around during a chase. Only when we can do this will we be able to stand on the stage where we can fight against the Unknown, but the hurdles may be high.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,331
    edited March 15
    Options

How would that be possible? They would need to hit you with a M1, catch up again and then hit you twice with the UVX. The first hit (and only the explosion) weakens you but isn't damaging. Then they would need to wait for the cooldown, charge the attack again and hit you with the explosion a second time. This is all assuming you don't dodge and they don't miss. This takes a lot longer than 3 seconds.

The really unfair part is the Hallunications because they make Unknown a 4.6 m/s Dredge that can constantly teleport to the remnant. But even that isn't overpowered. It's just poorly designed because it has no counterplay.

• Green_Sliche
    Green_Sliche Member Posts: 584
    Options

Partly yes. He is average in chase because his hallucinations may not always be where needed or be at all and hitting someone at close range with his power is close to impossible. His redeeming quality is ability to do those weird shots into walls or vaults and still apply the stack somehow or keep his guard over a set of gens or hooked survivor. In few weeks people will stop playing as him because he isn't that great and there are better candidates for range pressure already.

• MechWarrior3
    Options

Huntress deals immediate damage with her hatchets. 🪓 The unknown takes up to 3 hits before he downs you if you don’t remove weakness.

Is huntress an issue then?

• MechWarrior3
    Options

It still takes 2 hits to injury and 3 to down. If you’re not getting the weakness off while in chase that’s on you and your counter play. It takes hardly anytime to do it.

“Big range” uhh it’s barely 5 meters. Executioner can go through walls too but with a much further range. Not including addons.

The unknown is hardly an issue.

• xltechno
    Options

That's right. So too many survivors fall like dominoes without a safe loop.

• Aldonian
    Aldonian Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 1
    Options

The only issue I really have with the unknown is dispelling his illusions and if he teleports while dispelling, is it suppose to like freeze you in place? I wish it was more like if you step over a hag trap at least it allows you to possible spin her teleport hit. With the unknown I’m just locked in place unless I’m missing something.

• Noaboy
    Noaboy Member Posts: 9
    Options

5 meters? He can litteraly launch them upwards to 20meters and they bounce and go trough objects / walls like what?

Also the "removing weakness" takes 10 seconds opossed to the 7 second cooldown for UVX, you also have to be very close to the killer to actually be able to get rid of the UVX giving him a bigger chance at hitting you a second time, 21 seconds and you could be dead and there is no way to loop him unless you got map advantage, only windows will save you

Huntress has 7 hatchets basekit not 10

• Noaboy
    Noaboy Member Posts: 9
    Options

This killer is pretty loop depenadant tho, I can only run him if I have a window vault or a loop that has high walls inbetween them to break LOS otherwise I get screwed

• MechWarrior3
    edited March 20
    Options

The 5 meters is in reference to the aoe effect in the post I was referring to.

”You have to be close to actually be able to get rid of UVX”

False. I’ve done it as far as 25 meters away.

• CursedPerson
    CursedPerson Member Posts: 62
    Options

The good players are constantly hitting me through walls and getting good bounce angles. Definitely a top 5 killer right now.

• KateMain86
    Options

Most of the players I go against using the unknown seem like they've mastered this killer. The unknown is too strong out of the box. The main problem I see with this killer is the debuff from its ranged attack lingering until you stare at the killer long enough to remove it. I think if they simply made this wear off over time it wouldn't be as bad. This killer has too much management involved with dispelling the clones and having to stare at it to remove the debuff. Not doing these things gives the killer way too much control.

• caligraph
    caligraph Member Posts: 359
    Options

just look at him and you're safe and dispelling takes like 3 seconds

• Lit
    Lit Member Posts: 48
    Options

3 seconds? It's longer than that even as direct looking - but especially when you are in chase on loops.

He's an S-Tier killer and requires a nerf to splash damage. Several people on 100+ win streaks.

It's saying something.

• xltechno
    Options

In reality, the work to release it will continue until about 5 seconds remain. In any case, if you control the next bombardment with a mind game, the survivors will be able to remove the weakening before further follow-up attacks.

• DrHyk
    DrHyk Member Posts: 47
    Options

If you ever feel a killer is too powerful, I urge you to play as that killer as much as humanly possible. The survivors you go against will quickly teach you the counterplays and you can apply that in your future matches.

Also, I wish I got him more, all I get are Nurses, Blights, Weskers and Billy and they are ALWAYS playing as if there's thousands of dollars at stake.

• tyantlmumagjiaonuha
    tyantlmumagjiaonuha Member Posts: 512
    Options

BhVR, like the person who created this thread, please provide more tutorials and custom match methods to learn how to play against killers. This game is getting more and more complicated every year and people who don't normally play various killers are grumbling about it, as well as SM, which has become something else with repeated reworkings. And like most of the killers released last year, they get nerfed after release.

• KateMain86
    Options

Its really the same formula for survivors when new killers come out for the most part. If a killer has a ranged attack that can injure you, the only thing we can do is the same thing we do for every other ranged attack. We can run left or right out in the open or put a wall between us and the killer. This new killer's power has a splash effect which means we now have less ways to deal with it. We don't need more tutorials. We need balance. They keep deviating so far from the original killer designs and now its almost safe to assume the next killer will also have some kind of ranged ability.

• Rulebreaker
    Rulebreaker Member Posts: 1,545
    Options

You can still run left or right as the splash isn't that large. It needs to hit you twice like artist and only the splash hurts as direct hits only slow you. In addition you can remove weakened by looking at it and it graciously continues dropping a bit each time you look, which you should be doing with any ranged killer, meaning it needs to shoot quickly or weakness goes away and it needs to weaken you again.

Deviation keeps the game alive. Having the exact counterplay to each killer would be dull.