Will behavior ever put effort into making a balanced matchmaking system?

I’ve been playing this game for years, I’ve seen the matchmaking system get redone over, and over, and over. Each time it doesn’t get fixed, and it seems they just cover up everything with a bandaid. Now, it is better, but far from good. Me and multiple other people have noticed that the skill differences between killer and survivor are incredibly unbalanced. As someone who plays both sides I get to see this often. I used to be a nurse main back in the day, I got 4ks often and used her power to the fullest extent each match. Even now I still get frequent 3 or 4k’s using mainly nurse, plague, or other killers. I’d understand if that had something to do with the matchmaking I’ve faced, but it wouldn’t even make sense if it did.

Every match feels like a genuine gamble. there’s no survivor I’ve seen that matches my skill level. They’re either unequivocally worse, or insanely better. The matchmaking can’t be based on individual killers, since when I play killers that I’ve only touched once I get survivors that are insanely good and have thousands of hours. It can’t be based on previous matches considering the randomness of the system. Not to mention that would be awfully unfair since different killers demand different playstyles and tactics, which wouldn’t go well if you do very well on one killer for awhile than switch to another. There doesn’t seem to be any common factor. It can’t even be based on getting a range of skill levels in a match since again, that would be unfair, and the survivors are either feast or famine with how good they are.

playing survivor I either get killers that seem to have just gotten the game and are extremely new, straight to a killer that’s been playing as soon as the game released and has thousands of hours on their killer.

playing killer I either get survivors that just started playing or are much too casual to face off against my playstyle and killer, or are all together using comms and have been playing swf together for the past 3 years who have more hours playing survivor than I have even played the game in total.

there genuinely seems to be an extreme imbalance on the matchmaking, and it’s been this way for a long time. Multiple other content creators and streamers have complained about the same thing, and even have clips showcasing examples. Considering other Asymmetric games such as Identity V, and Texas Chainsaw (RIP) have much more accurate matchmaking systems, I truly cannot think of what the problem could be other than laziness or lack of effort.

Comments

• mizark3
    mizark3 Member Posts: 2,234

They had one, it was Rank based matchmaking. It specifically targeted the unique traits of the game, and more accurately gauged player efficacy on the match than a blind Kill/Escape. Now there were some flaws, such as Wraith chases not counting as chase for the Survivor, but ironing out the errors would have made it far more effective as a measure of skill than blind MMR.

The other flaw is how lobby dodging is handled. If anyone lobby dodges (Killer or Survivor) for any reason (P100 or bathroom break), the matchmaking is thrown into whack and plugs anyone in the slot (800 [Brown+Yellow] to 1200 [Green] to 1600 [Purple] to 2000 [Red] MMR) instead of old Ranks merely seeking another relevant rank (Purple would seek Red or Green, but couldn't pull in a Brown/Yellow).

It also gave you a wide variety of matches, even at high ranks, as you could be a Red Ranked Killer matched against sweatlord Purple Survivors, or casual Purples, or sweatlord Reds, or casual Reds. If you were the among the best in the world, you could afford to tune down your level of effort based on your opposition much easier.

Finally, Ranked based matchmaking pushed hooks over Kills (as you need 9-12 hooks [without camped hook states] for the best grades in Malicious and Devout). As such, it more accurately gauged a Killers actual skill, in instances like 3/3/1(died on hook)/0 as a 3k, compared to 2/2/2/2 as a 0k. Clearly the 2/2/2/2 required more skill, as you had to hook EACH Survivor twice, so the best and the worst in the lobby, compared to turbo tunneling the baby Survs and getting lucky finding the 3rd.

• xltechno
    xltechno Member Posts: 1,026

Still, MMR did a good job from the beginning to the middle. In other words, things got worse along the way. Presumably, this is not because survival/kill the only criterion, but because the way MMR is operated has changed.

• mizark3
    mizark3 Member Posts: 2,234

I'm not sure I can even agree with that assessment. I have felt my matches become significantly sweatier, and I have been disabled from playing in the way I find most enjoyable (2 hooking each Surv, then dropping them under hook to prove I could have killed them). Technically I could still play that way, but my MMR would plummet as if I refuse to Kill Survs, I would only face baby Survs in boring matches. In old Reds, I could turn up or down my own sweat level to match my opposition, but now (and even since MMR was implemented) it is a pure gamble.

I think the long-term more obvious deleterious effects of MMR is what is sinking in, not any significant change in the how the system calculates itself (unless they did something good like swapping to hooks instead of Kills).

• Mag1cian
    Mag1cian Member Posts: 134

Facts. Even rank system was better than current MMR. And they didn't redone it over and over again, during the entire time there was 2 systems first one was rank based and now for like 4-5 years it's MMR they didn't really tweak it just playing with soft cap from time to time. MMR was working kinda fine only at the beginning of it, I remember myself having really good teammates but then TOP Hight MMR players started to complain that they couldn't find a match for 30 mins - 1hr and people complained for very sweaty matches overall. And they started to prioritize search time over quality of matches expanding the soft cap and it's lead us to pretty fast lobby finding but very inconsistent and awful matches. They expanded soft cap too much so there is too many players in "TOP MMR" if we can call it that lol.. There's way different balance right now than it was at the launch of MMR so they need to make MMR way stricter or redo this system completely cuz experience is awful right now. I would rather wait 3 mins instead of 15-30 secs to play fair and quality match instead of a mess what we have rn. I don't really get how you can't make quality MM system in more than 4 years...