The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

what are some tips/perks to help with all around map pressure.

i struggle with it.

Answers

• HexHuntressThighs
    HexHuntressThighs Member Posts: 1,243

Any Gen slowdowns are gonna be huge Pain Rez from artist and pop from clown are great. As for general pressure you really need to secure downs quickly and not spend too long in chase. If a survivor is really good, leave them. It’s better to go for the weaker links and save the best for last. I could go on with general tips but knowing who you play as killer would help a lot.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,469

Use slowdown that is dependent on the killer you play not just a global set usually using 1-2 of the right perks on a killer can be stronger than using 4 perks that don't suit them for slowdown

Some killers get hooks easier and faster than others, blight / nurse / billy using perks like pop and pain res reward fast hook chaining with pressure

Some killers can push survivors off objectives quickly like doctor, using perks like DMS can provide a lot more slowdown

Ect

Don't just try and make a 4 perk slowdown build to use on everyone figure out what each perk is good for (otzdarva has a million guides so he probably has one for any specific perk or killer) and build something that best suits them

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,849

Identify the most distant gen and don't bother protecting it, you will significantly reduce your patrol area from the start making pressure a lot easier.

Survivors tend to push out the easiest/safest gens first so they play into this tactic very easily most times

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,849

Totally agree, against most public lobbies you don't need to stack gen perks to win if you have good game sense and understand survivor movements and where to apply pressure.

Being an experienced survivor ironically helps a lot

• 100PercentBPMain
    100PercentBPMain Member Posts: 803

Tinkerer is a decent perk still for helping you decide where to go

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,047

As others have said, when it comes to you build a good mix is important. Just stacking 4 Slowdown-Perks is the easiest way, but if you dont manage to get downs, you will not really get to use them. E.g. on Billy I run two Slowdown-Perks and two Information-Perks (while thinking to drop one of the Slowdown-Perks for a Chase-Perk, e.g. Enduring). The information-Perks are Lethal Pursuer and BBQ, both which might not be needed with good gamesense, but they ensure that I am constantly in a chase, which reduces at least one person from Gens.

I also highly recommend to give up on some Gens each game. The goal in the end is to kill all Survivors before 5 Gens are completed. 0-4 Gens completed does not matter, the Survivors cannot escape unless 5 Gens are done. So for you it will not matter if you kill them all at 5 Gens or with 1 Gen remaining. Examples for Gens which you can give up early:

• The Gen in the Saloon on Dead Dawg. It is by far the strongest Loop on this map, the rest is not so bad to play as Killer AND it is a small map. Giving up this Gen if you see someone doing it early is usually the best bet, just dont bother with it.
    • The Gen in the Control Room and upstairs on Hawkins. Those take some time to go to, so if Survivors are repairing those early, it is just good for you because the area you have to patrol is smaller.

Those are just two examples.

Another way to make your patrol area smaller is to ensure that you dont chase in areas where Gens are already completed. Running to completed Gens is bad for you and good for the Survivor. If you chase in areas where the Gens are still being worked on, this forces other Survivors to leave those Gens. To ensure this, some simple things like on which side you break a Pallet will help you, sometimes it is worth it to run around the Pallet one time so that the Survivor is on the side you want them to be when breaking it, because they are either closer to a Deadzone or closer to Gens which still need to be done.

This also applies to Hooking obviously. Carrying a Survivor into an area which incompleted Gens is mostly better than carrying them to a corner of the map or so.

And well, learn from your mistakes. It is easy to say "I lost because this map was unbalanced" or "I lost because the Survivors brought those Perks.". But if you can ask yourself if you really played the best you could and if you really did not make mistakes and the answer is "No", then you are already on the way of improving. If you need tips, you can also upload gameplay of yours here, from what I have seen the forum is really helpful if someone is asking for help and not just complaining.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,133

Ignoring perks, there are some things which I find help me:

1. Spread the pain. Keep survivors injured at least. Healing is a slowdown in itself, so keep them vulnerable. If you down a survivor and another is nearby, hit them as well - even if just once.If you are near and someone is unhooked, hit through the BT because the mending again is extra time not on gens.

2. Adjust your game plan. At the start, know where the gens are and see where the biggest concentration is. Early in the game go out on the attack, but just be aware of where gens are being done, or at least maybe decide on one gen which isn't worth looking after. Reducing time like this is valuable time you can spend attacking others.

3. Study your opponent. All survuvors, no matter how diverse they play, will give away some weakness in pathing, how they take loops and such. Give survivors respect by understanding how each plays as an individual, then taylor your attack to counter. Depending on skill, some may be very difficult to face, so this leads to the penultimate point.

4. Experiment, learn and have fun! You will perform better when you take the pressure off yourself to do well, and instead focus on aspects of yiur playstyle you wish to improve. Nobody will win every single trial at pub level, so don't expect to. However, enjoying the trial by experimenting will make you far better in the long run, as well as teach patience.

5. Finally, this is a little about perks but not about any specific one: Experiment with various perks and choose those you enjoy and get the most out of, not what people claim are the only few good ones. You may get amazing value out of perks you may not expect, depending on your playstyle and killer of choice.

In the end, this is a game which has a lot of diversity to it, limited only by what people expect and feedback. Everyone is different and you need to find your own comfort zone.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,542
    edited March 31
    1. Know map layouts. There are places that you just don't want to go as a killer and knowing that helps a lot. There are also maps with natural bottle necks that you can easily patrol and defend.
    2. You don't need to defend 7 gens. That means you can strategically give up gens to effectively reduce map size and create more favorable situations for yourself.
    3. Keep track of survivors. Even if you can't directly see them, you should have a general idea of where they are. Info perks and certain killer powers can help you learn common survivor behavior. For example survivors are very unlikely to abandon a gen that they have previously worked on and are likely hop on the very next gen they can find after you chase them away or they completed one. This helps you staying relatively close to them so that you're a constant threat.
    4. Know your killer's power. Often times you can use your killer's power to keep survivors busy even when you aren't directly in chase with them. That can include quickly eating through resources, approaching from different angles, disarming set ups before you start a chase (for example destroying breakable walls and setting up traps before a chase), hitting survivors across the map (like with Huntress), quickly switching targets when you have the chance, using your mobility if it's always available or saving it, so the survivors know you could always be about to come to them and using hooks in the open.
    5. Play efficient and exploit your opponents weaknesses. If you know someone will waste a lot of resources and you have the time to spare to create dead zones, chasing them can be more valuable than a quick down. If they make themself vulnerable in any way, you can use that to your advantage.
    6. Always keep on learning. Sometimes you can play very ambitious and get a huge value out of it and sometimes you have to play safe. The more you play, the more you will learn to identify these situations but it's important to know there could always be something else that would help you out more.

Most of this comes with experience, so don't be affraid to try and fail. There is no "one size fits all" approach but the more experienced you become the more quickly you will be able to adjust to different situations.

Good luck and see you in the fog.

• Batusalen
    Batusalen Member Posts: 1,323
    edited March 31

It depends vastly in what killer you are using and your playstyle, but in general terms by having a build with a couple of slowdowns / regression perks that fit your killer, not committing to chases for a long time (if after a couple of pallets you don't think you can down the survivor or they get distance with a perk like Lithe, drop and go defend gens) and remembering what gens are the closest to be completed so you can come back to them first you should be able to have more pressure over the survivors. Some aura and info perks also helps to identify in what gen you should apply more pressure.

I don't know how much experience and knowledge of the game you have, so I will try to make a 'general' perk guide for everybody based on my personal opinion:

Regression perks:

• Scourge Hook: Pain Resonance (The Artist)
      It's good in almost everybody and the best regression perk in my opinion, but it depends on RNG and if you play with a slow killer sometimes you won't get to the hook on time before survivors complete a gen… if RNGesus didn't screw you up by spawning all Scourge Hooks on the other side of the map, of course. You can always pair it with Agitation (The Trapper) to alleviate this problem.
    • Pop goes the Weasel (The Clown)
      Is good in killers with high mobility. If you keep in mind what gens are being done you can hook somebody, and just after go to that gen to regress it before it is completed.
    • Surge (The Demogorgon)
      This one is specially good for M1 killers, as you will activate it everytime you down someone and have the advantage of also working on blocked gens. The problem with this perk is that it is strong at the beginning, but as gens get done it loses effectiveness unless you are able to catch and down survivors beside gens. For this reason, I don't recommend using it as your sole regression perk on most killers.

Slowdown perks:

• Deadlock (The Cenobite)
      I don't recommend using it along PR as if Deadlock blocks the gen, PR can't regress it (I think it would regress the 2º most progressed gen, but I'm not sure). It's a 50/50 with Pop, as it will prevent you from kicking the gen right away, but would basically tell you what gen you will damage the most.
    • Dead Man Switch (The Deathslinger)
      This one has good synergy with PR and Grim Embrace, but is easily countered the moment survivors notice you have it. Best for high mobility killers IMO, as even by itself you would be able to get to a gen fast enough to make the survivors let go.
    • Grim Embrace (The Artist)
      The new kid in town after the buff. It pairs well with both PR and Pop and would give you enough time to get to that gen that was about to get done in time.
    • Scourge Hook: Gift of Pain (The Cenobite)
      Currently bugged (The Cenobite bugged some way or another? No way!) but good if you are using PR (or another SH perk) as it will apply Mangle and make survivors do gens slower after they heal, making them have to spend more time recovering the regressed charges.
    • Hex: Plaything (The Cenobite)
      The forgotten one, but it can be a pretty good slowdown if paired with Pentimento (The Artist), specially in killers that already have a side objective (like The Cenobite himself).
    • Corrupt Intervention (The Plague)
      Pretty good for slow killers or those that need some kind of set up / power up at the start of the game (The Shape, The Trapper, The Nemesis…).
    • No Way Out (The Trickster)
      Technically not a slowdown perk, but hey, if you can't catch them before they finish all the gens, do it after! By itself it can grant you enough time to get those last hooks you needed for the 3K, and there are some good endgame builds out there that fit many killers with little change.

Info perks:

• Discordance (The Legion)
      Just two survivors in one gen, without counting any perk or item, would shave off 37 seconds from a gen. By focusing on the gens that are being done by multiple survivors, you will reduce the pressure survivors apply to you. It is also a good perk on Nemesis as the Noise Notification would alert zombies.
    • Scourge Hook: Floods of Rage (The Onryo)
      As with any other SH, it pairs well with PR and it would help you keep pressuring survivors if you don't find anybody before an unhook and you are too far away to come back to it. Again, focus on any gen that has two or more survivors if possible.
    • Nowhere to Hide (The Knight)
      Of course, it pairs well with Pop and will help you get those survivors that hide beside the gen when they hear the terror radius and wait for you to leave to keep doing it, reducing your pressure and allowing you to keep pressuring them at the same time.

With this said: Experiment. Not everybody play the same way, so you should find a build that adapts to you and the killer you are playing. There are tons of build videos in Youtube for any killer that you can use as base.

Post edited by Batusalen on
  • NotDuality
    NotDuality Member Posts: 5

alot of people asked this and i apologize for not specifying it (i meant too)
    i mainly play ghostface and other m1 killers, they're the ones i struggle maintaining pressure than opposed to someone like blight for example

• HerInfernalMajesty
    HerInfernalMajesty Member Posts: 1,484

Sometimes if you need to slow the game down you can slug a little bit during the match. It helps slow the game down but on the other hand it’s giving survivors free time since they’re only slugged instead of hooked.

• ArkInk
    ArkInk Member Posts: 654
    edited April 8

Generally just try to be aware of things going into the match. Is there a hatch offering? Multiple Toolboxes, Medkits, etc? Are there any players clearly in a SWF?

Then, try to be aware of specific aspects of the match as it develops. Are there any dud gens that are better to let be repaired than waste time protecting? Is that survivor off in the distance a good looper that can seriously waste your time? What is that 4th survivor you haven't seen yet doing? What are some of the perks you've seen players use?

Even just answering simple questions like that can let you make far more accurate decisions and plays during the match.

I would recommend perks as well, but it seems like a lot of the other users have you covered. Good luck out there!

• D3spair
    D3spair Member Posts: 715
    edited April 8

The best thing I can offer is a good game sense and know when to leave a chase.

Had a bad(ish) start here where I lost all pressure after the first hook but got a comeback because I have good gamesense.

• lagosta
    lagosta Member Posts: 1,871

Explore and find what perks suit your playstyle.

1. Usually, when learning a new killer, I'd rather use hands-off slowdown like Deadlock/Corrupt as they let me focus on learning mechanics.
    2. Once I get the gist, Pop and Pain Res are the best bet because they reward you for doing your job.
    3. After I feel comfortable, I tend to replace slowdowns for tracking/utility. Lethality is pressure enough to slow down the match.

I'd say it's important to assess when you should transition perks, especially between 2 and 3. If your matches are consistently ending with 2+ gens, lasting very long, or you're having a lot of downtime between chases, then consider replacing slowdowns for tracking.

• Batusalen
    Batusalen Member Posts: 1,323
    edited April 8

Using his power correctly Ghostface could be pretty good at maintaining pressure, as you would get downs fast. It is one of the few killers that can get away with using Surge as it only regression / slowdown. In fact, I think that the most important perks for him are Surge and Mindbreaker as what you want is to basically stalk the survivors when they are distracted doing gens to at least 99% them.

My build for Ghosty is: Surge, Mindbreaker, Brutal Strength and Discordance, with Walleye's Matchbook and Drop-Leg Knife Sheath / "Philly" if not enough purples.

For other M1 killers, as people already said, depends on the killer and the playstyle. For example, I use an endgame build with Trapper (NOED, Fire Up, No Way Out and STBFL to help in chase, with Iridescent Stone and Honing Stone / Trapper Sack) while others prefer builds with Corrupt Intervention to compensate for the time spent setting traps.

For The Wraith I use a "genkick" build (Surge, Pop Goes the Weasel, Brutal Strength and STBFL with "All Seeing" - Spirit and "Swift Hunt" - Blood) as my play with him is to focus on pressure the gens, try to down fast thanks to STBFL, and immediately after hooking cloak and go to the most progressed gen to kick it and chase whoever was doing it. But one common build for Wraith is simply a pure chase build with "Shadow Dance" - Blood and Bamboozle to catch the survivors on those hard loops with windows.

With a build that's good for the killer and the way you play it, and the general tips everybody has given you, you should be able to start downing people faster and pressure the gens enough so they don't fly past the first or two that you should consider lost in almost every game. Apart from that, the worst enemies for a M1 killer are pallets and survivors getting distance, so perks and addons that help with those things are a must.

Post edited by Batusalen on
  • LeFennecFox
    LeFennecFox Member Posts: 1,233

You need to build game sense and just "know" things that are happening.

Ex: 1 survivor was just hooked and there are 3 injured survivors. Their only realistic option is to heal if they want to save their buddy without risking it snowballing. If you can predict where they will being going to heal or have info like bqq you can interrupt 2 survivors if you have sloppy even waste that healing time. The last survivor has to save and now no one is doing gens or worse they stick the gen and hooked surv goes 2nd while everyone is injured forcing another reset and maybe death of that surv if it's not quick.

A lot of killers apply tons of pressure to survivors then just go back to their 3 gen and they're back at 0. You need to know when to be a gen kick bot, and when to ignore them to snowball