If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Freddy Mains, I summon thee!

Options
Xernoton
Xernoton Member Posts: 5,159

I'm at a loss. 3 years worth of experience and a few thousand hours in the game and I'm honestly at a loss. I really have no clue how to deal with this. I've been playing a lot of Freddy over the past couple days and I noticed a trend.

Survivors will just keep on holding Shift + W against me and use exhaustion perks that end chases before they even began. I tried mind gaming with the teleport, I tried a build completely dedicated to countering it (STBFL, Mind Breaker, Brutal Strength, Rapid Brutality), I tried zoning and nothing worked.

I had a game on Gas Heaven today in which I only got a down when 4 gens were done and I spent most of this time just running after them to even get close enough to start the real chase. I also tried a more hit and run oriented play style, which didn't work either.

Is there any piece of ancient knowledge, that I'm missing? Any way just to get survivors to actually stay in a loop? Or is that just the state of Freddy?

Comments

• ArkInk
    ArkInk Member Posts: 388
    edited April 9
    Options

Ignoring the bigot up top, the best strat for holding W in my experience with Freddy is Sloppy and a new target. Paint Brush starting all survivors asleep gives you some stealth to get the ball rolling for a few hits, and you get TP faster along with the Skillcheck effect of the addon. The Oblivious effect asleep survivors get generally tends to ward them off objectives if they're injured in my experience. If you really want to twist the Knife, Plaything adds another layer of stealth and a side objective, it can quickly become overwhelming for a lot of players.

This stealth anti-heal strat can also be particularly nasty with Nurses Calling, and can be a really helpful tool on indoor maps.

• Xernoton
    Options

I would ban them from this thread if I could.

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll take anything at this point. 😅 Though I don't feel like the Oblivious effect does much for me (admittedly, I don't use the Paintbrush so they're mostly awake).

The Plaything build sounds exactly like my kind of stuff. I love picking a gimmick and then overcommitting to it to the point it becomes ridiculous.

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 3,043
    Options

Freddy has like zero catchup potential. You might be able to get a cheeky teleport hit in from time to time but the cooldown is long and it's very obviously telegraphed.

He's just not that good, I'm afraid. He doesn't even have the ability to pre-trap loops that well anymore because his Snare count was nerfed.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,088
    Options

Well, if you speak of Freddy mains, the first name that comes to mind is @GeneralV

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 3,043
    edited April 9
    Options

Post edited by ReverseVelocity on
  • GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,208
    Options

Well, I'll try to ignore this thing happening above to give ya a good answer, my friend.

Unfortunately, there is no ancient knowledge to help with Freddy, not this time. This isn't a scenario like the one seen with Old Freddy, where he was incorrectly regarded as the weakest killer in the game because many players just didn't realize his potential. This time, Freddy has very little going for him.

As @ArkInk said, Red Paint Brush will help ya with your first chase, because he will be harder to detect at the beginning of the match and your power will be available as soon as the first chase starts. Brutal Strength can help you deal with pallets and Corrupt Intervention can buy you time, but overall there isn't much that can be done.

Thank you for mentioning me, my friend. I wish I had a good trick to share.

• Xernoton
    edited April 9
    Options

Thank you, friend. I picked Freddy because I wanted to keep my M1 killer gameplay sharp and I only needed an excuse to play him again (I love his animations) but sadly I can't really practice M1 killer gameplay, if I can't even catch up to the survivors.

I'll try the Paintbrush, Corrupt Intervention, Brutal Strength, Sloppy and Plaything for a few games. Maybe it helps. Or I'll switch one of them for STBFL.

Update:

Game 1: FTP + Buckle Up x 1, Background Player x 3. It did not work out. All 4 were deliberately going down under pallets just so they could be saved by a team mate with Background Player. I tried to slug them all before hooking but well… It's Freddy.

Game 2: SB x 3, Lithe x 1, WoO x 3. I think they might have been solo. The game sent me to Gas Heaven. Again. I got 7 hooks by the time the game was over. So it worked pretty well. Sadly the Shift + W only stopped twice when I got survivors to run into snares with the brown blindness addon.

Post edited by Xernoton on
  • The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,019
    Options

One hint I'll give is freddy is at his best in a hit and run playstyle, you want to try and spread the pressure around because his chase abilities are situational on whether survivors are asleep or not .

• GeneralV
    Options

Seems like you had some difficult trials, my friend.

Unfortunately, this is the current reality with Freddy. I'd love to have some special trick to share, but I don't have much to offer. Unless I talked about Old Freddy, that is.

Perhaps you can add a map offering on top of everything you're already using. It is risky, but it might help.

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,279
    Options

Hmmm. Can we chat about Sloppy for a moment? Do killers find this that useful? With as many resil users and such are, I just wanted to chat a bit about it for insight. ty!

• Xernoton
    Options

Thanks. I'll give this another shot tomorrow. Maybe I'll have better luck then.

I played a few matches Huntress because against her Shift + W doesn't work very well and it's refreshing. Also, for some obscure reason I can suddenly hit hatchets on survivors that do not stand still. This is a big deal for me because usually I couldn't hit a wall from 6 metres away. 😂

When we get old Freddy back, you'll be the first I come to for advise.

I don't use it a lot (and when I do, then only on Freddy, Wraith and Doctor) so take this with a grain of salt. But from what I've seen in normal games it's not much worse than before the nerf. Mostly they will either heal right after an unhook when Sloppy is still active or they'll stay injured just as before. The good thing is that Wraith and Doctor are killers you don't really want to stay injured against because both of them can get quick hits with a little bit of luck. So staying injured to get more value out of Reslience is pretty risky against them.

For Freddy… Well, it's Freddy. He's not the powerhouse he used to be and it's not really hard to stay awake so you'll know exactly when he's coming. So for the most part, you won't catch a lot of people off guard with him (at least without any additional perks for it), which means Resilience will work pretty well. Especially since he will also have to play pure M1 killer as long as you can stay awake, which makes the faster vaults really hurt.

• 100PercentBPMain
    100PercentBPMain Member Posts: 348
    Options

Sloppy was fantastic when it offered eternal hemorrhage. I never used that perk for mangled.

Update kinda killed it. Shame, because Sloppy Surge was typically the only slowdowns I ran on m1 killers

• GeneralV
    Options

When we get old Freddy back, you'll be the first I come to for advise.

I'll be happy to help, my friend :)

• ArkInk
    ArkInk Member Posts: 388
    Options

I really like it as it procs naturally and gives a big reward with sizable anti-heal. Even if it now runs out in half a minute, that means a survivor has been injured for a half a minute, which is still pretty good.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,734
    Options

Well the increase in anti loop killers is encouraging a whole generation of new players to play hold W strats rather than play pallets. I don't think this is entirely unique to just Freddy but laying his little puddles is going to immediately encourage survivors to hold W more than others I guess