Please fix these hits PLEASE

Options
Royval
Royval Member Posts: 239
edited April 25 in Feedback and Suggestions

Ive been a killer main in dbd for years. Since 2018 to be exactly but when I play survivor why hasn’t these been fixed since 2019? These hits are absolutely ridiculous on windows in a clip I will show. Nothing makes me wanna just get off more than getting fake hit on a window it’s annoying.

Post edited by EQWashu on

Comments

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,095
    edited April 25
    Options

What?

If I see this correctly they hit you the EXACT moment your feet touched the ground aka you haven't made distance and are well within the killers reach?

I don't see anything strange with this hit.

Edit: Couple that with any potential latency and you might even be still mid vault for the server to register the hit.

• Royval
    Options

there was no latency problem. This simply should not hit me. Look at it frame by frame he hit me miles away.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,095
    edited April 25
    Options

Okay, I watched it frame by frame on my PC.

Between you hitting the ground and the killer injuring you are only 3-4 frames.

BUT that's when the blood splatter comes out of the survivors back. The animation hasn't played at this point and the swing only finishes 12 frames later.

This indicates to me that a hit is registered by the server at the BEGINNING of the animation not the end.

Edit: Sorry had to reedit this part because the pictures got distorted somehow after uploading them.

Edit 2: Nvm, these screenshots also get distorted but my points are at least visible here.

• I_Cant_Loop
    I_Cant_Loop Member Posts: 242
    Options

The hits 10 feet past the window have been going on for eternity, and it's because BHVR won't implement ping limits in lobbies. It seems like having a requirement of low latency to join a public match would easily solve the problem, but what I am wondering is this: could someone turn on a VPN to get high ping after a match has started, or would that kick them out of the game? If it kicks them out of the game, then what is the downside to implementing a ping limit in lobbies? Seems like that would be a great way to punish VPN-abusing killers - you activate your VPN, you get booted along with a DC penalty. The only downside I can see is that people with terrible internet connections (the ones who aren't intentionally using VPN's for an advantage in the game) wouldn't be able to play, but I'm totally OK with that. I don't think a majority of the player base should have to suffer with this because we have to let a few people with bad internet connections be able to play the game.

• jmwjmw27
    jmwjmw27 Member Posts: 264
    Options

Yeah I agree that one was a little dubious. Window registration in general needs to be more tight, in either direction honestly. The fact that these discrepancies are allowed means it is very difficult to judge what should and shouldn't hit based on distance - because the knight pathed poorly upon entering shack that realistically should have been a miss on 0 ping.

• Royval
    Options

it’s a fake hit that the killer shouldn’t have got imo been going on for too long for these higher level players getting such bail out hits.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,130
    Options

This looks like a good hit. You have to keep in mind that ping is a thing. Even when you have what would be considered "good" ping at around 50, that is the round trip time it takes for data from you to go to the server.

So, if you are at a spot, and walk forward, it takes 25 milliseconds for the server to register that. Then the server, needs to do whatever it does, then send it to the killer, which takes another 25 milliseconds (assuming the killer has the same ping). This means that the killer actually sees you where you WERE 50 milliseconds ago on their screen. So on their screen, that was probably a solid hit.

Basically, the way this works out is, on the killer side, survivors are further away than they appear. On the survivor side, killers are closer than they appear.

• Valuetown
    Valuetown Member Posts: 253
    Options

My comment is working under the assumption that everyone's ping is 25 ms to the server and 25 ms to them for the sake of discussion.

Everyone is sending their local game state data to the server the same time they're receiving the previous game state from 25 ms ago. There's a ton of under the hood stuff like prediction placements but that's beyond the scope of this discussion. Essentially, if the survivor has 25 ms to send the data to the server and the killer has 25 ms to send the data to the server, why have the devs chosen that the killer's data gets favored? Both the survivor and killer's states are inaccurate representations of the server game state, but they're going to favor killer just because? I know the discussion at that point becomes well why should one side have an advantage over the other, and in reality none should. Just because someone chose to play killer doesn't mean they should get special treatment when it comes to something as critical to a player's enjoyment as latency.

This is the same reason why players with over 150 ping (arbitrary number which in my opinion is already too high for player enjoyment) should not be allowed to connect to a match. High ping comes at the cost of the enjoyment of the rest of the players in the lobby, especially if that player is the killer. I understand the difficulty of connecting to a server from a region that doesn't have one locally, but there needs to be a better solution than what we currently have.

• Reinami
    edited April 25
    Options

So, you can't just "ban" people due to their ping, otherwise a massively large playerbase just wouldn't get to play the game, and the devs would need infrastructure all over the planet in order to accommodate everyone. Probably a better solution there is to just let players see ping and let them decide for themselves, that might be fine.

But regardless, to answer your question of "why does it favor killer" is because you always favor the person "doing the attack" look at any competitive FPS game, if you play counterstrike long enough, you will run into situations where you peak out of a corner, get back into cover, and then die AFTER you get back into cover.

Because if you don't favor the attacker, then the attacker needs to predict not only where the player is going to go, but also where the server thinks they are based on yours and their ping. It creates a really terrible scenario where the game is completely unfun to play because you are having to "lead" your shots, not based on any kind of predicted movement, or even projectile travel time, but some constantly changing variable that is yours and the other player's ping.

The best example i can give of this, is The original Halo 1 PC made by gearbox. The multiplayer for that game was complete garbage, because they did not favor the shooter when they accounted for hits, because of that, when hitting a moving target, you actually had to hit some invisible hitbox that you didn't actually know where the hitbox at any given moment because multiple players have multiple different pings, and ping is constantly changing. And that hitbox was often not attached to the player's model. Keep in mind that in that game most guns did not have a travel time and were hitscan. So even the sniper rifle had to "lead" their shots and hit the invisible hitbox instead of the actual model of the player they saw.

Now how does that translate into DBD? Well, by literal design, the survivors are never "attacking" the killer. So it appears as though this hit validation is "favoring the killer" because, yeah, it kind of is. But the alternative, is instead that killers have to not actually hit the survivor, but some invisible hitbox that is actually going to be in front of the survivor when they are running. Which is way way worse to play, than it is to be on the receiving end of a hit that didn't quite look right.

• Valuetown
    Options

If the ping is good enough, the player does not need to predict anything to compensate for it. 25 ms is ONE TENTH the average human reaction time for visual stimulus. Open the stopwatch on your phone and press start then stop as fast as you can, and that is most often going to be slower than 25 ms. If the connection is crisp enough, the player's location on one screen is going to be within pixels of where they actually on another player's screen.

In a perfect world, latency wouldn't be a problem, and yes I understand this isn't a perfect world, but tightening down the ping requirements is one way to help mitigate this issue, or like you suggested, let me see every player's ping (including the killer's) to decide if the game is going to be fair. Also, behaviour probably makes enough to invest in at least a couple servers in regions that are deserving of them.

The other component to this is hit validation. That has less to do with latency and more to do with the software behind it. How many survivor data packets with contrary data to the killer's need to be sent for a killer hit to register a miss due to awful ping? If a killer has 150 ms and a surivor has 25 ms, the survivor has sent 5 more packets to the server over a 150 ms period with valid game data. How is it that the killer sending two game packets during that period somehow has the advantage? I know there is a ton of behind the scenes data that gets looked at, such as distance discrepancy, survivor position client side vs position server side, but the hit validation was introduced to help ameliorate high latency players, primarily killers. More often than not, it rewards them.

• Reinami
    Options

Again, look up Halo 1 PC (the original one by gearbox) It was so bad that ON LAN yes LAN, you were hitting INVISIBLE hitboxes not the actual character model. It is not as clear cut as you make it out to be.

• Valuetown
    Options

I agree that it isn't as clear cut as we are making it out to be. Comparing both the hardware and software of Halo 1 made in 2001 to a game that was just recompiled for a contemporary engine is like comparing apples to oranges. There are too many variables to claim that Halo 1 was bad just because of the way they decided to do hit registration, which could have been way ahead of its time and not supported by the technology available. Technology has made leaps and bounds to warrant some sort of trial into fair and valid hit registration for all players instead of maintaining the status quo.