Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.
Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Stutter performance / g sync or v sync issue ?

Im in a bit of a crisis, ever since the patch my game is stuttery and just not smooth. This has happened before but Im a bit lost on what settings I should be using to get DBD to run well.

I have a i7 12 core system 64 g Ram and a NVidia 3070 card. My monitor is an ASUS 240HZ with G sync. 

I recently took off the overdrive settings on my monitor to see if that helped. It seems like FULLSCREEN mode in game is making my game more buggy. I have tried some adjusting with G Sync and NVidia Control Panel but Im not sure Im making any progress. I tried the -dx12 launch parameter, that seems to make my game more stuttery feeling.

I just want some clarity on how to optimize this game or if I should even use G Sync or just turn it off.

edit:

from my troubleshooting today I have just turned off g sync for dead by daylight and actually turned on v sync in game which seems to have stabilized things fairly decently .

im under the impression there is something not right with g sync or the v sync support .

anyone else have any settings / tweaks / experience with g sync or settings for nvidia control psnel to get the smoothest performance ?

Answers

• VirtuaTyKing
    VirtuaTyKing Member Posts: 465

I must be knocking on trying a hundred different settings combinations. It's truely annoying I also get flashing when the fps dips a stupid 1 frame under fps cap with gsync. Even though my gpu and cpu are nowhere near maxed out.

• forthelulz
    forthelulz Member Posts: 306

It works amazingly well and has for years but there are various settings that this game is fussy about and G-Sync is needlessly confusing and to top everything off for some reason when it comes to this game every single YouTube and guide I've ever seen always parrot the same ridiculous suggestions that mostly don't do anything and the ones that do just make things worse. People end up trying all kinds of weird things and forget to un-do them so even if they end up fixing one issue they never know it because something else is borked.

Anyway rant over.

First make sure you're fully updated and using latest drivers.

For G-Sync always use these settings specifically:

NVCPL - Setup G-Sync Enable G-Sync / G-Sync Compatible

- Enable For Windowed and Fullscreen

- Enable Settings For Selected Display Model

NVCPL - Set Resolution To Native and Refresh Rate To Highest Available Listed

NVCPL - V-Sync "On"

NVCPL - Preferred Refresh Rate - Use Highest Refresh Rate Available

NVCPL - Low Latency Mode "On"

DBD GameUserSettings.ini:

• bUseVsync=False
    • FullscreenMode=1
    • LastConfirmedFullscreenMode=1
    • PreferredFullscreenMode=1
    • FrameRateLimit=120.000000
    • FPSLimitMode=120

Windows Settings —> Display —> Graphics —> Change Default Graphic Settings —>

• Variable Refresh Rate "On"
    • Optimizations For Windowed Games "On"

I'd suggest using FrameView or R.T.S.S to easily monitor what's happening. Here is a quick video I made this morning for someone else to show how easy it is to install and use FrameView. I happened to have R.T.S.S running at the same time. Between those two it's very easy to see what's going on if there is an issue, and once everything is working correctly the game actually runs like a dream.

• VirtuaTyKing
    edited April 27

For me when I have Vsync on in this game g-sync isn't even active. Says it is on monitor but the fps on monitor doesn't fluctuate meaning it isn't active. So input latency isn't the best.

With vsync off and g-sync active the fps is too erratic meaning oled gamma flicker is awful. I can reduce that a bit by capping fps but it's so random to get it stable I would probably have to play 1080p at 60 or 90 with a 4070 super lol.

I tried fixed refresh settings and it has a lot of stutter. Strangely works better with gsync on but not active.

This game is just weird and far from well optimised.

Just also to note that when I switch low latency mode off then I get terrible rubberbanding right now. This is a major problem for others currently.

• forthelulz

Sounds like you have more than a few incorrect settings somewhere mixed with guesswork about what's happening.

V-Sync is never active when G-Sync is engaged, it can behave like V-Sync under the right conditions but it is most certainly not V-Sync.

G-Sync offers the best input lag solution because of how it works especially when FPS is constantly below maximum refresh rate.

• VirtuaTyKing
    edited May 8

Turning on vsync in this game makes gsync inactive. My TV shows 119fps when the game is capped below that so its not active. I'm not a computer noob so no need to treat me as such.

I actually had the game working well using gsync and rtss frametime limiter to avoid oled gamma flicker. Until they "updated" game and made microstutter worst.

Post edited by VirtuaTyKing on
  • forthelulz

Something else is happening because when everything is set correctly this will not happen. All it takes is one mis-setting and it will not engage nor work correctly at all and you use need to use something to veriify what's going on.

If you explain your setup and settings I can help you figure it out including the model of your TV which is the place I would start because I have a feeling it might have a limited range.

• VirtuaTyKing

My previous post I said I had it working fine. Then the game devs have messed it up a little time after UE5 update. Nothing has changed my end other games are fine too. Game is pissing me off now.

• forthelulz

Ok just dig your heels in rather than actually try to figure out what's going on and learn something.