Last survivor hatch stand-off fix

I'm sure we've all been there at least once where the hatch has already been found by both the killer and the last survivor and now the survivor is just sitting on the hatch dancing around and crouching. Neither side wants to give up and loose out but at the same time it's just so freaking boring. Yes it comes down to a question of pride but at the end of the day if two players meet who both want a win it will never, ever end.

This problem with the game is made even worse by the fact that the survivor has the option of going elsewhere to get a win (the remaining generators for example) while the killer has no such choice. The survivor only has to touch the hatch once while the killer's away to win so the killer can't leave the hatch unless they're sure the survivor isn't near. Resulting in either they stay and the gates open or they leave and the hatch is used, but at least something would happen during this!

I've ran into no end of survivors who just go straight for the hatch and then sit on it instead of doing anything interesting, they then just wait until you get sick of them, smack them letting them escape. This has to be fixed.

I suggest a 4 second cooldown timer (average hit recovery animation) in which the Entity blocks the hatch for the survivor hit after they are hit. With this implemented survivors who sit on the hatch will not be able to jump during the animation and will be grabbed if they try afterwards, if they don't but stay another hit will start another timer until they are eventually picked up this way. However survivors who are away from the hatch will still be able to make it over to the hatch and hop in before the killer can reach them and stop them.

The only observable change would be the prevention of war through attrition of patience, 1v1 end games would turn into a cat and mouse game of lure. Pop a generator here and lure the killer away or bait them after you far enough to run back in after the hit, or in stubborn cases finish the generators and run out the exit gates. This would result in a much less frustrating end game where both parties could still fight for their last victories but actually have fun while doing it instead of being bored to death with their only active finger on the jump/grab buttons.

Comments

• HazeHound
    HazeHound Member Posts: 814
    edited March 2019

Yeah this is exactly what we need. Or just make animation entering the hatch take 4 seconds, no need to involve Entity into this. I have been talking about it for years now. There is nothing more antyimmersive than moments when you can teabag killer freerly.

Other possible fix is letting the killer close the hatch. If killer started animation first, survivor can't interact with hatch. Once closed tha hatch can be opened without the key, but it takes 5 seconds. Open hatch can be again closed or survivor can jump in. Standoff fixed, hatch is still viable escape option.

• p1ague
    p1ague Member Posts: 101

Or hatch can't be opened without the key, but closing it causes one to be somewhere...

• BastardKing
    BastardKing Member Posts: 784

The problem is, you aren't fixing the problem, you are just changing which side it benefits slightly. Killer can grab you when you go through, so the hatch becomes useless. Killer still cannot leave the hatch safely. So they just have to sit there and hope someone with no skill tries to run up to it, because if they patrol, they lose.

It still becomes a boring game of guard the hatch, except the survivor cannot even use it, so there is NO reward for the killer, not even the hit.

• HazeHound
    edited March 2019

@BastardKing not at all. My solution lets survivor escape when he gets to hatch first while eliminating standoff completely. Now standoff doesnt favor any side, it is just waiting game for people who have time to waste.

You are actually wrong, patroling hatch lets survivor know where it is guaranteing stand of, what you want to do is find him away from it now.

• projecteulogy
    projecteulogy Member Posts: 671

It's already hard enough to play solo. You guys are just kicking the teeth out of the part of the pbase that don't play like douche bags. the % of Hatch games when playing solo is atrociously high.

The hatch should possibly spawn after X amount of points have been reached. That way, people undeserving of the hatch will not get a free outing. As well as change the amount of time you can start moving or interact after being downed or struck. This will destroy hatch stand offs unless the survivor finds it first.

• HazeHound
    edited March 2019

Honestly i think point requirement is not good idea. Hatch spawning conditions are ok imo. It is just the standoff itself. @projecteulogy

And i can understand both sides here. Why would i try to jump and give you free kill? Why would i hit you and give you free escape? It kills anything what's left of imnersion in this game. Why fear killer who can't even hit you?

Edit: Another possible solution came to my head. Killers could have basic ability to kill last survivor in game that has crows on them. Its not perfect, but would force some running which gives small room for mistakes. What do you guys think? By kill i mean like Myers tombstone, not regural mori.

• boogieman976
    boogieman976 Member Posts: 35

I actually like the idea of crows making you moriable

Or, if a final survivor gets 3 crows, the hatch closes for 60 seconds.

• p1ague
    p1ague Member Posts: 101
    edited March 2019

Given that trying to grasp a survivor at the hatch is a last-ditch effort by the killer to avoid losing a kill, it really is almost like the killer's version of a hook escape. What if it had a chance of failing? Do you think that would lead more survivors to go ahead and risk being grabbed? Especially if the odds were heavily in their favor...

And the tradeoff for that grab nerf could be that there's no "cooldown" of any sort that prevents you from attempting a grab. You can do it at any time.

• LiquidLink1988
    LiquidLink1988 Member Posts: 137

Straight up, if a survivor makes it to an open hatch, they should get it.

A simple fix would be take out the grab animation from the hatch.

• HazeHound
    edited March 2019

@LiquidLink1988 If they make it before killer - yes. Hatch is already a reward for survivors doing poorly. If they get there together killer should win.

Hatch as it is now is guarpanteed escape for survivor when he can taunt killer with no penalty. All this for loosing match? Just load of bullcrap. Not even an achievement to survive "the horror".

• LiquidLink1988
    LiquidLink1988 Member Posts: 137

@HazeHound who is losing the match? I feel like escaping via hatch is a Mercy Rule, TBA. If a survivor HONESTLY believes they win by escaping via the hatch, there is no hope for them anyway

I honestly wouldn't mind the idea of the killer being able to close hatch and the survivor has to find a key and all that. But that just seems like a lot of extra work. If it comes to the game, great!

But, IMO, I stand by my idea if we want to get rid of hatch stand-offs; it's simple and will work 100%

• HazeHound

@LiquidLink1988 Mercy is by definition someone's choice. Now its not. All it would take is to make killers able to close hatch.

Then hatch could be opened without key but its like chest action, takes time and can be interupted. Surv can escape easly when killer is away or do gen when killer camps. Standoff is non existant as it would be impossible to enter hatch once closing animation begun.

I think its fair for both sides.