Chucky scamper update is terrible!

Options
OrangeBear
OrangeBear Member Posts: 2,272

Please read my reasoning before commenting

The dev note makes sense but i fear that these changes will leave the scamper mechanic in an unviable state.

Getting hits through scamper whilst using slice and dice is just not viable. It takes too long and 0.1 second reduction is i think inconsequential. Additionally, the turn rate restriction means all survivors have to do is move to the left or right enough, which they will still have enough time to do, and it just won't be possible to hit the survivor.

To be clear, i think making it so chucky is more reliant on getting hits through slice and dice is fine, but if they are gonna do this scamper via slice and dice needs to be much better than what it is now. Because i think at this rate there will be no point of scampering and chucky will just be a stealth killer with a long lunge and thats it.

I will acknowledge that the 12 second cooldown is a pretty significant buff and i worry it might make him more frustrating to play against. A bit like trickster where he will be able to constantly get slice and dice hits or barely at all depending on the environment.

In conclusion, If they are gonna remove normal scamper they should make scampering via slice and dice viable. Because otherwise i think he is a lot less interesting and fun.

Post edited by EQWashu on

Comments

• Steakdabait
    Steakdabait Member Posts: 1,254
    Options

Health is more important than the killer powers. Chucky was one of the least interactive killers in the game. His power that should have been very expressive but it's actually super one note. This is a change that should have happened in the ptb of this killer and never changed. If he needs buffs after this change then bhvr can just buff him but after this change chucky will be in a way better place gameplay wise for BOTH sides.

• OrangeBear
    Options

I completely disagree. Slice and dice on a 12 second cooldown seems even less interactive than what we have now.

Like i said before i already agree that changing scamper is fine but to leave scamper via slice and dice in an unviable state i think is bad for the killer. No one's gonna use that, it's just going be slice and dice every 12 seconds. This doesn't sound good for the game.

• fussy
    fussy Member Posts: 1,164
    Options

They can make it as Low-Pro Chains, so you can turn a second after scamper and it will be in a very good spot imo

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,052
    Options

Uncap the flick and this is a perfect change. I personally hated the Scamper mechanic because it was so free, but I also think they should really lean into Slice N Dice

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 6,730
    Options

i was just about write this and then i saw your comment. The problem with change is 180 flick removal change. they forgot that they nerfed chucky's 180 flick making the scamper pallet slide impossible to use.

if this goes live without them returning 180 flick, this will make his scamper completely irrelevant.

• redglyph
    redglyph Member Posts: 19
    Options

This fix updated it from Tier D to Tier E.

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,168
    Options

I think they could reduce the time to scamper more than they are in the ptb. Otherwise though, I think this change is very good, he will certainly be more fun to go against now.

I also don't think they should bring back his 180 degree flick, that again would take too much counterplay away from survivors side. Survivors want to be able to counterplay Chucky as well.

• OrangeBear
    Options

Reducing scamper time could work as well.

Yes, i agree survivors should be able to counterplay.

They just need to make sure that scamper is viable enough for chucky players to actually use the mechanic. Otherwise his gameplay will just boil down to stealth and slice and dice every 12 seconds. That just sounds boring and i think people will get frustrated with the frequency of it.

• GenJockeyNance
    GenJockeyNance Member Posts: 687
    Options

I don't mind the hit to scamper to prevent free hits, I can get you without needing to rely on free hits. my problem with it is the turn rate for scampering. If devs don't look into the turn rate of scamper it'll become practically useless. It also nerfs his gameplay at shack. You could pop hidey ho mode and mindgame the window through scamper which to my understanding will be impossible now mixed with the awful cruise control when scampering through shack window.

I hope they look into the turn rate at least. Doesn't have to be anything crazy, just something to make scamper now not be kinda useless.

• Devil_hit11
    edited May 9
    Options

no that would not work. what they could do is make scamper work like billy chainsaw when you have 1 second of full control to turn. this would also fix the problem.

• caligraph
    caligraph Member Posts: 359
    Options

good, scamper had no counterplay.

• Spirit_IsTheBest
    Spirit_IsTheBest Member Posts: 651
    edited May 9
    Options

Chucky is one of my p100s, and I saw the patch notes, I actually do not mind the changes, the 12 seconds are going to allow me to constantly gain more pressure during chase, or simply trying to sneak up on someone.

The scamper change isn't my main issue, sure it's a questionable nerf, since I believe Chucky was in a good spot, the issue is how poorly your turn-rate is when your using the power at times, and now with the changes, getting hits after a scamper will be very situational, since the survivor could easily dodge it by going around something, or staying in a corner all together.

If these changes go live, then please give him a better turn-rate after a scamper, then return the turn-rate to it's normal state when you hit, or miss the Slice and Dice attack.

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,168
    Options

That just sounds like it would have no counterplay again, if you could just turn freely after scamper. The point of this change is to allow for some more counterplay on the survivor side, which is a good thing.

• caligraph
    caligraph Member Posts: 359
    edited May 9
    Options

I think he'll be fine. scamper+slice and dice had 0 counterplay, now hes just gotta play like a hug teching blight more often.

• Devil_hit11
    Options

current change offers no possibility for chucky to get hits when using scamper. the mechanic is essentially deleted. Now chucky has to break every single pallet and then use hide-oh slice&dice after pallet break. It is little bit like blight's rush now. i might start running brutal strength chucky.

• YayC
    YayC Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 61
    Options

I don't play chucky, heck most people no longer play chucky because his power is simply too restrictive and what they have done is nerfed the one strong bit of his power and just gave him his mediocre power more. Literally noone will use chucky if this update goes live.

People are touting this as some amazing change. Want to know what the gameplay loop of chucky is going to be if this change goes through? Pre-drop. Pre-drop and he will be forced to break the pallet every single time. Alot of loops are strong vs 115 killers, chucky is a 110 killer. Out mindgaming him is insanely easy because he is 110 and this change just forces a chucky to do mind games on most pallets and loops.

Loops are not build in a way where he can use his slice and dice, the only ones where he can reliably slice and dice under a pallet and get a hit are ones like Gideon's stacking shelves where it's just a god pallet in a long corridor so on a traditional loop if you just crouch to the side of the pallet he'll slice and dice under the pallet then fly around you every single time. If this change came with some kind of actual power buff to his slice and dice and could see it making sense, but as it stands all this is going to do is make every match vs chucky be comp drop simulator.