What do you think about killer slugging for hatch?

Options

First 2 survivors dead. 3rd is dead on hook and was just downed but instead of hooking the survivor, the killer goes for the 4th survivor, denying any possibility of hatch.

I'm curious what others think of this?

Personally I find this to be one of the sweatiest things someone could do. You already clearly stomped the survivors. 3 dead on hook and you still have a 50/50 chance of getting the last survivor. I get if the survivor is near or if they just take 5-10 seconds to check the area but often times the killer will just leave the survivor on the ground for minutes.

I had a match last night where there was 2 of us left; the Ghostface killed me but left me on the ground to go looking for the 4th survivor. After about 2 minutes, the last survivor was actually able to pick me up but the Ghostface found me again shortly after, killed me and left me on the ground again. I just immediately DC'd. This was only my 2nd match for the night but I just completely logged off after that.

Comments

• CountOfTheFog
    CountOfTheFog Member Posts: 1,891
    Options

I did this a few hours ago for an old rift challenge. I have only done it for challenges that require every Survivor die. For those challenges, I just want to knock them out and move on.

I usually look forward to the race for Hatch at the end. I get a different thrill when it's 1 Survivor and the Hatch left, especially if you find the Survivor first and get into one final chase.

• JeanGreyarea
    JeanGreyarea Member Posts: 493
    Options
  • Jörgen
    Jörgen Member Posts: 1
    edited May 15
    Options

It's only really understandable if the killer is doing a challenge, if not it's a bit much.
    I wouldn't say it's something behavior should "fix", but I do think it's pretty boring when killers choose to do this.
    I only really do it in 2 situations, either I have a challenge - or the survivor team went crazy with their trolling. 😅

• Unusedkillername
    Unusedkillername Member Posts: 215
    Options

It's annoying but there are plenty of challenges in the compendium that necessitate it so usually I just assume the killer is doing one of them, bite the bullet, and give myself up because getting hatch or the 4k to me is not what differentiates a win from a loss to me. 3ks are still pretty good and a pity win where I need to be a little lucky doesn't feel like a win unless I was carrying the other suvs, then it feels earned.

• Souplet
    Souplet Member Posts: 345
    Options

As a killer main, i find it utterly boring

If i know for sure where the last survivor is and he is near, sure i'll go and down him

If i have no clue or if he is far, fck it i'll take the 50/50 and even then, chances are that i let the last one leave anyway

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,161
    Options

Removing hatch would lead more kill count, resulting survivors' buffs.
    Most killer mains just want more kills but never think about Devs looks at the stats and adjust to make 60% killrate, not 80%.

So I do want to have hatch removed. Since 1 survivor still requires 5 Gens done to escape, the game will be balance around 5 Gens done.every.single.match.

• Rokku_Rorru
    Rokku_Rorru Member Posts: 950
    Options

I feel like Merciless should be changed to a 3K and it would solve so many issues honestly regarding the perspective of slugging for a 4k if they arent going to add a change to the gameplay flow

• coco_shotz
    coco_shotz Member Posts: 249
    Options

Its maybe a bit unfun but it's not exactly a bad strategy at times. If the survivors were playing less optimally than the killer probably though they could achieve the 4k through this method.

• powerpuffCheryl
    powerpuffCheryl Member Posts: 39
    Options

The survivors risk dying and potentially snowballing the 3K iinto a 1K, 2K or 0K, wheras theres no risk in slugging for hatch for killer.

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,097
    Options

Sorry, I need to be more specific. I don’t think Killers are entitled to 4ks, I think that they’re entitled for the chance to 4K. As long as they use the means that the Devs have provided to them, I don’t think they should be disparaged for trying for it. I don’t think it’s any different from Survivors using whatever means the game provides to prevent the killer from killing them or their teammates.
    Sure, it’s not fun getting slugged, but that’s not a reason to get mad at the Killer, who is playing within the rules. Complaints should be directed at the Devs so they can perhaps shorten the bleed out timer or come up with a new solution.

I have no problem with Survivors trying to survive. I have no problem with them hiding as the last Survivor while someone else is slugged. I have a problem when someone rages at me or talks down to me because I played in a way they didn’t like when it’s sanctioned by the Devs.

• Huge_Bush
    Options

The Killer played well, was winning and as a result has the upper hand so their risk is minimized. There’s still the risk of the slug bleeding out, getting picked up or using a perk like Unbreakable.

• JeanGreyarea
    Options

What is so bad about hatch that it needs to be changed? It doesn’t lower or improve mmr. It’s just a latch ditch effort to escape for the last survivor like in a horror movie. And to end the game

• JeanGreyarea
    Options

all they care about is winning 100% of their games. That why you see awful takes such as gates regressing

• JeanGreyarea
    Options

all that does is extend the game. The killer still wins in the end

• powerpuffCheryl
    Options

What risk is there of any of these? Either the hatch spawns or you just down them again.

• Rulebreaker
    Rulebreaker Member Posts: 1,590
    Options

Unless there's a decent reason (adept, challenge, you have a reasonable idea of where the last is and go check), we think it's stupid as there no thrill anymore. Smart survivors will leave the slugged to bleed out and since most who slug for the 4k stay extra close to the slug, you've effectively wasted 4 minutes staring at a slug.

• Huge_Bush
    Options

The Killer loses a hook if the Survivor bleeds out. Also, if the Survivors are good loopers and there’s only one or two gens left, they can still complete them and escape. It doesn’t happen often because most Survivors are bad at looping and because they’d rather just wait for their teammate to die rather than try.

• powerpuffCheryl
    Options

I don't mean to offend you as I really do appreciate all the answers in this thread but reading that first sentence unironically is absolutely wild. What does it matter at that point? Its still a kill. But yeah I guess if the killer is the type to think that way then it's not surprising that they would slug for the 4K.

But my original point was your comparison of Killers slugging for 4K = Survivors going for save in endgame isn't equal because the risks involved in one far outweighs the other. In BHVR's most recent statistics report, they showed that most hook saves in endgame don't result in a clean save, with either 1 survivor being traded or more survivors dying in the process. Whereas you yourself seem to admit that it's rare to see 2 survivors (Where one was slugged) into a victory.

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,328
    Options

Also this, I think. If they move forward with this mori decision, I just don't know. They keep finding strange ways to get players to question playing. I've never seen a company use this tactic. Very strange.

• MoNosEmpire
    MoNosEmpire Member Posts: 649
    Options

I don't mind it too much, there's always perks to stop killers slugging and they are effective.

• Huge_Bush
    Options

It’s not wild. It’s not a kill, it’s a bleed out and the killer loses out on points. It’s just pure entitlement to expect the Killer to play as you want them and have them make things easier on their opponent.

And my comparison is equal. Killer takes a risk with slugging and Survivors take a risk with hook swaps and rescuing. Either way, they risk not getting their 4k/4escape. If the Survivor crawls away and bleeds out while the killer can’t find their teammate, the killer loses the opportunity for having a third hook and by extension a 4k because now the hatch is open and the last Survivor can escape. Also, the roles are inherently different. The Killer is the power role, they’re supposed to have more of an advantage when there are less Survivors left while Survivor advantages are increased when more of them remain.

Actually, it can be argued that Survivors have the advantage when gates are powered and at full health since they can body block for each other and use exhaustion perks for easy get away. Only time they don’t is if it’s someone like Bubba.

In the end, there is nothing inherently wrong or toxic with Killers slugging for the 4K. They’re just playing the game using means that BHVR has sanctioned. No one should be trying to shame or disparage them for it just like no one should do to Survivors when they do things Killers may not like.

If you or anyone else have an issue with a mechanic that someone may use, you should take it up with the Devs with a constructive discussion.

• Huge_Bush
    Options

Slugging for the 4k is not an oversight. Slugging has been sanctioned by the Devs for a long time. It’s an actual core mechanic of the game that buys the killer time to apply pressure on the Survivors. If it was an oversight, there would be no perks of killer powers (Like Twins) that promote it.

I’m not looking at it with an entitled player perspective. I did use poor wording though, I’ll admit that. I’ll correct myself once again -“Killers are entitled to a chance at a 4K”.

And no, hatch should not open to give the last standing Survivor an easy escape. Their team failed at completing their objectives and wasting the killers time which the game provides ample opportunity to do, they don’t need more hand holding to win.

Just because you don’t like a mechanic doesn’t make it a “Dev oversight”.

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,328
    Options

This has to be the most healthy look on the game I've seen in a long time. Making me reflect a little myself lol.