Killers are already upset at sabo changes

Sarrif
Sarrif Member Posts: 192

I get it, you just downed a survivor and want to hook them. But also, you can't complain about this if you want gens to slow down. Survivors currently have one objective and that's to do generators and not much else. If you want survivors to do something other than gens then it has to be worthwhile for survivors to do since they aren't doing the one thing they HAVE to do then it has to be rewarding.

In short, I'm genuinely curious. What would you rather have? Fast gens or sabotaging hooks being actually useful?

Comments

• Sarrif

Slugging. It's counterplay and what killers should do in that situation.

• Sarrif

It's actually a net neutral unless killer blows since a person has to be off gens to Sabo hooks.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904
    edited May 18

Alrighty “meta” is the wrong term to use. But sabo squads were a big thing and more common than folks likely remember.

It wasn’t the end of the world but it was largely maligned. Also it was a tool for the teams not focused gens but rather just dragging out the game and getting in the killers face.

Now again not the end of the world but when a killer does that with 3 gen or slugging it’s apparently toxic, when a sabo squad does it it’s not? It’s a tedium design that is perfectly fine but tedium designs are often maligned and complained about.

While the concept of a sabo squad is fine gameplay wise the current speed of the sabo will likely need some toning down.

• Jim_Tonic
    Jim_Tonic Member Posts: 555

I mean this feels like an fast gens AND easy sabos scenario. Its not either or, thats the issiue.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904

That’s really the only issue.

I’m already thinking up some strong sabo builds to try out and go for a supportive hook denial role in game.

Which, and I state this again whole heartedly, just like 3-gen, slugging, flash saves and any other unconventional build not based around gens or chases is perfectly fine to play.

• Junylar
    Junylar Member Posts: 2,005

Pro tip for the upcoming meta among killers: Deer Stalker is not actually that good. The power of slugging is that it saves you time, so you don't need to camp bodies and instead should seek new prey to apply pressure, and even if you need to go back to one of the slugs, you will remember general location of it and they won't be able to crawl far under Knockout anyway. Not to mention you will definitely see the pick-upers running to them from a mile away. So here you are, just freed you a perk slot in the upcoming meta build!

• devoutartist
    devoutartist Member Posts: 112

same can be Saied about regression perks i don't see the issue

• ArkInk
    ArkInk Member Posts: 658

It just feels overtuned tbh, and currently not nearly enough of a risk or commitment for the potential reward it provides of halting the killer from progressing their objective. We can argue over whether or not this is bias, but you should expect to hear opinions you don't agree with.

• solarjin1
    solarjin1 Member Posts: 2,013

yep! deer stalker definitely not the answer. Agitation and star struck could be decent against the new sabo

• LeFennecFox
    LeFennecFox Member Posts: 1,233

Spend ~40-60 seconds downing someone for a player to speed to a hook insta sabo it then go back to their gen seems like a fair trade. You now don't get your pr/pop and can't deny the first gen pops.

• Rokku_Rorru
    Rokku_Rorru Member Posts: 1,089

I mean won't hangmans trick, iron grasp and agitation become more valuable?

• Marioneo
    Marioneo Member Posts: 808

Saboing was in the perfect balance for both sides and Devs decided to make it Free for Survivors

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,215

this is already possible with dead hard. it used to be default sabo back when dead hard was an iframe attack. Now dead hard got nerfed, so they just added it back in a similar form. Back when dead hard was omnipresent in every single match, sabo still wasn't use and alex toolbox hasn't changed since then.

• ChaosWam
    ChaosWam Member Posts: 1,781

I absolutely agree with this take and it feels like a lot of survivor-leaning players either forget or ignore the killer power nuances and map design hiccups. Same can be said for why a lot of killers feel the need to run multiple slowdowns, regressions, tunnel and proxy patrol hooks just to have a chance against sub-optimal to optimized survivors. The sabo buffs are just going to effect lower tiered and M1 killers and maybe be an annoyance to the higher tiers at best.

• Yharwick
    Yharwick Member Posts: 521

Meh it could be annoying but it's not like Agitation isn't already commonly run with Pain Res.

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,676

Dead hard is only situationally active, and it requires a fair amount of timing. Alex toolbox +sabo speed addons, has zero timing, and zero perk requirements.

• NotAnotherDoctor
    NotAnotherDoctor Member Posts: 291

Survivors need to realise this a bad buff across both sides of the game.

Slugging is already a problem, all this serves to do is increase the rate in which it occurs

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,215

there is no timing. you get hit, sabo and mash E. even current dead hard can do this but it is limited two times per use. alex toolbox has limited charges. I don't think you'll see sabo. only 0 hook challenge swf use this.

• Coffeecrashing

I don't care if dead hard can do this. That is an extra perk, that is only situationally active. Alex toolbox + speed addons is active 100% of the game, and doesn't require any perks. And it doesn't matter if the toolbox has limited charges, because it can still sabo multiple hooks without any sort of recharging.

• Malkhrim
    Malkhrim Member Posts: 963
    edited May 20

I believe the purple sabo toolbox is not getting buffed and will still be the fastest for sabotaging, am I right? If that's the case, this won't increase the potential strenght for sabotaging, but will make good sabotaging more common, since you won't need a very rare toolbox to sabotage fast anymore. I don't think this is bad on its own, but the current state of hook spawns may make it awful from time to time. Just today I had a match in Ormond were there were only TWO hooks on one side of the map, and they were obviously pretty far away from one another. This is getting extremely common now: the distance between hooks is bigger than ever and sometimes there is only one hook in a huge area and, when it's gone, it gets impossible to hook people who get downed there. Survivor hook offerings still exist, and SWFs can bring multiple of them, which is kinda concerning, but it will certainly still be rare after the update.

Either way, if the base hook spread gets fixed, the new sabo speeds should probably be fine, or maybe they can be toned down a little bit in a near future. The sabo speeds themselves aren't a problem, the current hook spawns can be.

• mizark3
    mizark3 Member Posts: 2,233

Current map designs allow for 3 consecutive sabos and for the Killer to still get a hook, and that's ignoring the Killer being able to safely drop Survivors anytime prior to ~13s of being carried. This also can only be done once per match with a Purple, and just shy of twice per match with a Commodious/Event toolbox. That also means the Toolbox didn't shave ~20s of gen time, and the person was off of gens that time to prep the sabos. The math is still so far in favor of Killer for Survivors to sabo vs pump gens that it is hilarious.

People mainly complain about slugging when they don't have agency. Being in the middle of the map with the choice to recover on the spot, or crawl further from a hook, gives them the agency they need to not hate it. Its mostly sweating for the 4k when the Killer has 0 idea where the 4th is at when people complain about slugging.

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,501
    edited May 20

Uhuh…. (BTW there's none beside me either. Apparently most of the hooks spawned upstairs) also you try to go to a hook. Almost get there. Then have a survivor run out infront of you, insta sabo the hook, And run away. See what happens. If you drop they wiggle out. If you don't. There's probably no hook within a few meters for you to get to. The speeds so fast a survivor can literally take the hit. Sabo mid weapon clean. And run away before the killers even finished. Also even if you do insta drop them. You probably can't pick them back up so might as well just slug them. Because unless you chase the survivor away and down them they'll just keep trying to come back to sabo the hook again.

• Coffeecrashing

Alex toolbox with sabotage speed addons, will allow survivors to take a hit under a hook, then sabotage a hook AND move out of the way, before the killer can hit them a 2nd time.

That is totally a massive buff for sabotaging. And if a survivor sabotages a hook directly in front of a killer, there is usually a 0% chance the killer can carry the survivor to a different hook, because the killer already wasted time carrying a survivor all the way to a hook.

• HexHuntressThighs
    HexHuntressThighs Member Posts: 1,243

You got a lot wrong in that comment. Sabotaging takes 6 charges a Purple tool box which sabos 50% faster has 16 charges so I can sabotage just shy of 3 times. The green commodious tool box has 32 charges so it can sabo 5 times. Add in built to last and it can sabo 10 times. Add in street wise and it can sabo 15 times. Thats without charge add ons.

Not to mention the PTB Purple tool box is going up to 100% sabo speed and the green box is going up to 50% Not only that but you can not sabo three hooks currently and the killer still end up hooking. Its two at most in 99.99% of case and 3 in nieces scenarios where the killer brought the hook offering on an indoor map.

And on live the toolbox is actually a risk where you have to take a hit to get the sabo or else the killer will just go somewhere else. On the PTB there is no risk at all. You can easily sabo a hook without the killer being able to even get close enough to swing. Then when they look for a different hook you get in front of them with breakout and get to the next hook and save it easily as well.

It needs nerfed plain and simple. Tool boxes need nerfed overall anyways. I can bring a 4 man commodious double charge add ons with all 4 running BTL and SW and clear all 5 gens in less the 5 minutes. Survivors say they can’t win but if they did that every game they would win almost every time.

• justadreampallet
    justadreampallet Member Posts: 110

having to prestige both trapper and trickster to get past a free survivor thing is not a good game strategy

• solarjin1
    solarjin1 Member Posts: 2,013

ideally u never wanna depend on a perk to combat a strat.

• mizark3
    mizark3 Member Posts: 2,233

There is (99% likely) one directly above you, or the basement is 2 inches to your right (rarely both, but possible). Then there is also going to be one in the left hallway, furthest by the next corner. Then there is also going to likely be 1 or 2 in the middle courtyard. Also there are 2 dead Survivors, which means you likely killed one of them down this very hallway and their death got rid of the hook. Not panning and showing all directions just tells me that even on the most unfavorable map for Killer, they can still reach a hook safely. This requires mild gamesense, but I think that isn't a big ask.

I wasn't wrong, I was unclear with my phrasing. The purple I was referring to was the Alex's Toolbox which (currently) has 24 charges default. When I was saying 'can be done once per game' I was referring to a triple sabo, taking 18 of the 24 charges if Purple (Alex, not Engineer). Same with the 32 charge boxes and triple sabo's, just shy of 2(x3), as it would take 36 charges for 2 triple sabos. I won't double check your math on BTL+Streetwise, but the issue is if someone is spending that much to sabo, when they could have used that on pumping gens instead, then it still nets positive for Killer.

The Alex's proposed change also nerfs the charges for no good reason, especially since the Commodious is getting the same additive sabo buff without a charge nerf. I can't speak to your experiences with sabos, but I know the last session I played intending to sabo, I got 3 sabos in a single carry twice, and both times the Killer was still able to hook. I had Saboteur and Background Player (and probably BTL+Streetwise, but idr those two), and that still wasn't enough to sabo enough hooks. I probably only unshouldered a Survivor from Sabos once that entire session, and that was a skill issue on that particular Killer's part (spun in a circle for the first 5s of carrying couldn't decide where to go).

On live you are guaranteed a double hit if you attempt to sabo (mostly due to lag). If the Killer hits you during the sabo, you don't have enough time to run away after restarting and finishing the sabo the 2nd time, and I was even spamming DH (animation frequently goes out but no Endurance due to lag). I haven't played with the PTB speeds, but anything faster is going to be an improvement into making it viable instead of trolling. One of the problems was back in 6.1 they buffed the Killer hit CD from 3s to 2.7s, but they didn't drop the sabo speed equally from 3s to 2.7s. Sabo buffs are a LONG time coming. Saboteur was 2.5s with a 3s hit CD, so .5s wiggle room for lag. It now is 2.3s with a 2.7s hit CD, so .4s wiggle room for lag, or still in a nerfed state. Current Alex and proposed Commodious take 2s to sabo, with the same 2.7s hit CD, or .7s wiggle room for lag. The proposed Alex puts it at 1.5s to sabo, or finally viable with 1.2s difference of hit CD and sabo time. To be fair, once again, I haven't played the PTB with this speed, but on paper it seems fine. I have only seen the complaints come from people who think sabo is actually useful in Live, so I know their complaints aren't grounded in reality.

I used to think Toolboxes needed gen nerfs, but then I realized their charges don't work the way all other items do. I thought a basic Commodious gave 32s (at 1 charge/second) of 50% bonus speed, in which I agree would need a nerf. Instead however, it measures total charges completed with a 50% speed boost, which roughly works out to ~21s to put on 32 charges, or only saving ~11s. Once I found that out, I stopped thinking they need a nerf since they come 'pre-nerfed'. Sabos will always be a healthier use for toolboxes, because it forces both sides to interact. The Killer has the choice to drop or keep carrying, and the Survivor has the choice to risk a protection hit, or a down in order to get a sabo. Plus it slows down the match timer, which helps Killers more due to pallets being finite.

Using the "everyone bring sweatlord strats" is such a joke argument. Should we delete any Killer that has someone reach 500 winstreak (3k+) since they can win almost every time? Same logic. Plus most times Killers only run into 1 person doing that, which isn't nearly the problem it is complained to be.

As a partial aside, I'd take the removal of gen repairs for toolboxes if they deleted gen slowdown/regression for perks (with an exception for Corrupt Intervention since it has its own built in limitations). That way the weaker Killers can get the gen slowdown from their add-ons alone, and stronger Killers rely on their strength to end the match sooner instead.

• Malkhrim
    Malkhrim Member Posts: 963
    edited May 21

Wait, Alex Toolbox got buffed too?

And so did the add-ons. Eh.. I hadn't realized that, so I take back what I said. I think the other toolboxes definitively needed a buff for sabotaging, but Alex Toolbox was the one that was fine. Still, it might be solved with a few tweaks on release or on the next patch.