'DBD isn't a horror game'

Options

I see this said a lot to justify overly comedic or non horror things in this game and it gets on my nerves more than anything. so far starters, DBD IS a horror game. It doesn't matter if it 'stops becoming scary' its still a horror game with a horror centric theme that, until last chapter, has always kept the horror centric theme.

DBD being horror is what makes this game successful and I'm sorry but straying away from horror to move onto other genres is just…weird. So what because the game stops becoming traditionally scary (at the devs fault btw) that means we just move on from the horror genre and start fresh? Everything in DBD people try to use as justification doesn't make sense especially since the mascot skins such as Robbie or Clowns community skin are often used as justification despite mascots being an extremely common fear (John Wayne Gacy hello?) and the Robbie skins are in a league of their own as literal icons in the horror genre.

Bottom line is its ridiculous that people fight so hard for DBD to stop being a horror game when it being horror is what made it so famous in the first place and I swear moving away from that will be something that kills this game

Comments

• Archol123
    Archol123 Member Posts: 4,637
    Options

I don't think it is the devs fault that the game is no longer scary... As soon as you know how everything works in an online game it just stops being scary, nothing they could have done different. And while it is mostly themed I would not call it a horror game, it is a goofy game of catch.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,128
    Options

Some people want to be perpetually scared by the same thing over and over again.

• 100PercentBPMain
    100PercentBPMain Member Posts: 544
    Options

"Dbd is not a horror game" -somebody who has 10,000 hours in the game

That's usually who I hear it from in which case it's easy to ignore that opinion

• LeFennecFox
    LeFennecFox Member Posts: 1,232
    Options

no my precious scary horror game 😡 do NOT play this game if you don't toss your keyboard across the room when trapper is chasing u

• HamsterEnjoyer
    HamsterEnjoyer Member Posts: 590
    Options

No one is saying that lol I'm saying we shouldnt move completely away from the horror theme and genre of the game

• HamsterEnjoyer
    Options

I mean we just got an entire chapter dedicated to a fantasy roleplaying game so…and its about everything and what people have been saying in regards to DBD. Adding in a fantastical wizard who's only form of 'horror' being a gory mori is still a bad decision that strays extremely far from what DBD has and should be. If having a gory mori is all it takes to be classified as horror adjacent then throw in Mortal Kombat while we're at it and make every survivor have to win a 1v1 fighting game stage against the killer💀

Bottom line is this about a collective things and the direction DBD is going in is just not good for the actual fanbase it has and is quickly becoming just another 'throw anything in it just for money' type game

• HamsterEnjoyer
    Options

You can keep the tension, fear of getting caught, and vulnerability you feel as survivor alive but because of the direction of making survivors = to killer on a power level basis its gone.

• HamsterEnjoyer
    Options

This lie that DnD is heavily horror is so…This chapter does not lean into horror in the slightest beyond the mori but something being gory or graphic doesn't make it scary. And if this is all the case whats the excuse for the R6 collab?

Do we just throw anything in now a days that has an ever so slight horror element? Like you guys keep saying 'Well DND has this potential!' but we already saw the chapter, its not horror in the slightest or even trying to be. They just chose Vecna because hes getting an expansion and they wanted some cool marketing. When the devs have to spend majority of the segment dedicated to talking about the new chapter just begging and pleading for us to think of it as horror in some way, rather than talking about the chapter itself, thats a sign its not actually based in horror lol.

If you guys want DBD to just collab with anything that'll allow it then fine do that but its not changing the fact that its going to alienate the original fanbase

• Jim_Tonic
    Jim_Tonic Member Posts: 108
    Options

It stopped being one when we got nic cage. Vecna is much more fitting than a real life actor from our world.

• HamsterEnjoyer
    Options

Like it being horror doesn't mean it needs to constantly scare you, it just means it should stay in the horror genre. All Things Wicked being one of the best examples that HORROR SELLS in DBD. It became the best selling chapter and ultra hyped for very good reason (even if the gameplay of it didn't translate any horror). I just dont find wacky neon effects and wacky mystical spells casted by RuPaul very scary to face against

• HamsterEnjoyer
    Options

The way hes unironically not. Nic Cage is at least known for being a partial horror actor and at the end of the day, offered his likeness for free why the hell would they turn that down esp from an A list worldwide known celeb? The occasional wacky or goofy thing happening is fine, after all comedy horror exists. But throwing in dungeons and dragons and rainbow six siege its just straying too far from what horror, and DBD is.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,540
    Options

Am I the only one that thinks it’s very weird and rude to say RuPaul looks Vecna?

• HamsterEnjoyer
    Options

We also got Rainbow six siege and yes I'm 100% denying his ties to the horror genre. At least Stranger Things S1 leaned further into horror and is even regarded as a horror franchise. And Nicholas Cage for the millionith time, is a unique case. When one of the most powerful people in hollywood, and most worldwide known actors says 'I will be in your game for basically free' you take that offer. And while I see nothing scary about Castlevania at all, I've never watched it nor played the games so I'm not speaking on it.

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,788
    Options

I mean its gotten to the point where dbd just isnt a horror game anymore. sure it's in the horror category but that implies it has horror themes but still feels like it a party game that tries to be competitive.

• HamsterEnjoyer
    Options

Notice the ignoring of R6 getting a collab lol. And obviously hes making money from it???? He himself said he offered his likeness, I'm sure he gets royalties and all that but they didn't need to pay millions to acquire his likeness that they otherwise would have. And yes a real world horror actor is more fitting than a wizard in a dress casting neon pink and purple mystical spells who flies across the map lol

• HamsterEnjoyer
    Options

I feel like you all are just completely ignoring my point entirely and just commenting

• HamsterEnjoyer
    Options

Yet she STILL far outdoes Vecna in every way when it comes to horror. A rich billionaire who slaughters and hunts her competition using her own inventions vs a wizard who casts mystical spells and flies across the map. Oh but he can make neon purple skeletons that lightspeed shoot across the map so that justifies the horror element

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,540
    Options

R6 was just a cosmetic collab. We had some others, I think also charm ones, before. Guess you were also against those?

Just describing Vecna and his power in a funny way doesn’t validate your opinion. D&D isn’t bound to one single genre, and horror is definitely part of the D&D franchise, it doesn’t matter how much you complain about it. That’s a fact.

People being against Skull Merchant, Trickster and Legion have better arguments on why those don’t fit than you with Vecna.. (funnily enough, you are repoing a Skull Merchant pfp - the least horror looking character whose ability is drones that stay in place)

• HamsterEnjoyer
    Options

Vecna isnt even fantasy horror hes a wizard who casts funny spells lol. And what genre of horror is rainbow six siege again I forgot

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,912
    Options

He was a necromancer and is an undead wizard. So yeah, I'd argue he falls under fantasy horror. And R6 was a cosmetic collab. If we hold cosmetics up as an example then this game has never been horror because we've had non-horror related cosmetics since the game began. We get Christmas cosmetics lol

• HamsterEnjoyer
    Options

Again, billionaire who hunts and kills her competition using inventions of her creation who then takes and harvests their body parts as trophies

Vs

Flying wizard who casts big pink orbs that fly across the sky

• HamsterEnjoyer
    Options

Magic can be hella scary I mean Hag's lore is pretty decent. And she didn't kill because of the manga she killed because she wanted to get rid of competition and sees everyone else as beneath her so much so that their lives are toys she just used the Skull Merchant moniker based on her dads manga which manga can also have some pretty strong horror so?

My complaint is that its a mystical wizard from an RPG tabletop fantasy game casting wacky and zany spells against an elf who plays instruments.

• HamsterEnjoyer
    Options

Anniversary chapter, Rainbow six siege, and now Ghostface's cat mask beg to differ

• HamsterEnjoyer
    Options

"HES NOT A WIZARD!! HES AN UNDEAD WIZARD!!!" and you ignoring the point or playing dumb doesn't mean the point isn't there! Adventure Time had that one zombie episode where the candy kingdom residents turned into zombies so I guess Adventure Time chapter is entirely fair game and would fit in DBD since theres a small chance it can be horror right?

Spongebob had the hash slinging slasher so lets bring Patrick and Spongebob in as well.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,075
    Options

There's some pretty terrifying spells that normal wizards can just learn without becoming a Lich.

A lot of enchantment magic can basically be mind control. Suggestion (2nd level spell) is basically the Jedi Mind Trick. Modify Memory (5th level spell) allows you to completely change a person''s memory of an event. Dominate Person (5th level) allows you absolute control over another person.

Then 9th level spells can literally bend reality.

Any Wizard (or spellcaster in general) who wants to dedicate themselves towards evil is a terrifying foe to face.

• HamsterEnjoyer
    Options

How? Lore and themeing plays large parts in what makes horror horror and even SMs map is pretty horror centric. Even then Vecna is again, just some wizard oh im sorry zombie wizard from a mystical fantasy game. Thats fine, but it doesn't make it horror nor does it make it even horror adjacent just because he's a zombie wizard.

• HamsterEnjoyer
    edited May 30
    Options

Wheres the strawman? Not to mention none of yall even argued my actual point you just started defending Vecna to the core and ignored the actual point of the post. And im not ignoring it I'm just saying theres no horror theme to Vecna which there isn't. If hes horror does that mean when I play Skyrim and play as a necromancer Im playing a horror game now? And literally where have I strawman'd lol the projection is crazy

• CountOfTheFog
    CountOfTheFog Member Posts: 1,896
    Options

This game still scares me 5K hours in.

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,678
    Options

Okay, I guess I'll just go ahead and get on your nerves by stating that DBD isn't a horror game. It is a glorified version of tag. Maybe a new player might think of it as a horror game but once you've played the game a bit, you can see it for what it really is. It's just tag with knives.

• Archael
    Archael Member Posts: 754
    Options

Your strawman is for example in this very post.

Noone is saying that just because in a game is a necromancer that means game is horror game. So no, just because you encountered necromancer in Skyrim does not means Skyrim is horror game. But, it's strawman since noone in this topic even suggested such thing (or I haven't seen it).

• ChaosWam
    ChaosWam Member Posts: 1,332
    Options