The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Why is Blight so hated?

2»

Comments

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,475

Blight is hated the same reason Nurse is, he's incredibly strong, it took them years to give him any sort of nerfs, and the nerfs they did give him were not that noticeable.

• alpha5
    alpha5 Member Posts: 293

First off I was mainly talking about Blight's pre-nerf state because that's when he became hated and that's when most of that streak happened. If he is still massively overtuned I can't tell because I rarely face him since most switched to the next flavor of the year broken thing that is Billy. Though I argue mobility like this is an obvious headstart to being overtuned as speed most easily snowballs games.

My point about that streak is the Blight player wouldn't have lost this match if he wasn't a cocky little gremlin pushing for 100 wins in 24h. This loss was entirely and easily avoidable with a little nap and is more a testament to how exhaustion affected the player than the survivors actually doing the right moves. This is of course speculation, that this game would turn out similarly but better with a little rest, but considering how tilted he was during and after the game it seems reasonable to me.

Matchmaking is an issue, sure, but it's hard to determine if it is to the degree you are implying. You say good Blights destroying soloQ lobbies are just better because matchmaking sucks, but there is also the problem of the high difficulty of playing against him because of the general lack of information about what is going on. Who is where? What gens are being done? What part of the map should be used to avoid leading him to gens being progressed? Where to go down? Is he committing to the next chase allowing me to unhook now or should I leave that guy on the hook for another 30s? His mobility gives him a high skill ceiling and more opportunities than the vast majority of the killer roster gets allowing him to display more skill. This together with a bunch of perks that are busted on him can make any P100 Blight look like a Serral.

SoloQ survivors are denied by the game a skill they need to adequately verse a good Blight/Nurse/Billy: communication. A good chunk of those opportunities could and need to be denied by survivors. Coordination is of vital importance against Blight and it is just not available in soloQ where the majority of DBD is played and was designed for. He can also bruteforce his way out of mindgames most other killers would have to engage in. His tools heavily outperform anything soloQ survivors have to offer in the core way this game is supposed to be played: without comms. It's almost like having one player in a Starcraft 1v1 play with a keyboard and the other without.

That whole archive paragragh strawman I won't address as I already said it's beside the point and merely pointed out additional insanity.

• Rauy556
    Rauy556 Member Posts: 41

I by no means meant that blight is not strong, he is arguably the 2nd best killer in the game (maybe 3rd cos of Billy), my main point (and rereading my post it was definitely not well developed by me) was that balancing and complaining about a killer's strenght solely based on how counterable they are at 'low' skill levels is just not logical or reasonable imo. Since if he is easy to counter but requires a lot of input from the player then it is just not rewarding to play him and dedicate time.

The main issue I fear is not due to the killer design itself but due to DBD matchmaking and how poorly it judges a player's individual skill, this leads to (as you mentioned) blights being able to easily deal with lower skill survivors who find themselves in higher MMR brackets than they should. If this mathcmaking system was improved, then that aspect of both blight and nurse would be severely minimized (noob stomping), this would also mean that 'better' survivors would match up against these 'skilled' blights and then it would be a more even playing field for both sides.

One can only hope BHVR improves their matchmaking system tho :(

• Rauy556
    Rauy556 Member Posts: 41

I did NOT intend that comment regarding survivor skill as a dig or attack, it is simply my personal opinion, since imo I think dbd is quite an easy and simple game to pick up, learn and master. However, between both sides I do think that being a good survivor is infinitely easier than being a killer player of equal skill since there are less things to consider when playing as survivor (except in Solo Q, being a good solo player is equally if not a bit harder than being a good killer player due to the sheer amount of game sense you need).

I made that comment as to be even a decent survivor individually you do not need much game sense or even be able to optimally loop. I'd disagree with the claim that there are a lot of add-ons that drastically change a killer power since it is mainly only Myers, Skull Merchant, Knight, and Vecna, all other killers do not receive a massive game-changing effect from their add-ons that it is worth learning each and every one, but I do appreciate that you are considering this aspect as part of a survivor's skill regarding game sense that is something I did overlook.

Regarding killer counterplay, imo I do think that most if not all (barring Skully and Nurse) have some sort of counter play that can help in prolonging chase and stalling for time, this is what I think a chase should do and I feel a lot of players easily dismiss this aspect when they get downed and feel that they should be entitled to being able to loop the killer for multiple gens. 'You ran a knight for 60 seconds but went down after he zoned you' , that is still a really good result that will contribute to your team escaping.

But to finally end it off, I do still think that playing dbd in general and more-so survivor is a VERY easy gameplay loop when comparing it to other games (but thats not a bad thing), as there is very little mechanical skill needed to be even decent at dbd, the main thing a player needs is game sense and that is very easily obtained if you indulge in a bit of dbd media outside of the game for both survivor and killer (YT vids).

• Archol123
    Archol123 Member Posts: 4,634

Well I guess that is just speculation, considering he just lost a huge streak I would assume that the frustration came from that and was not necessarily because he could have avoided it if he was more awake…

It is fairly easy to say that that is the reason… Let us have a look at Knightlights 500 wins on Nurse without perks or addons, before and also while doing the streak he always said that the streak will end as soon as he faces a 4 men comp squad, wanna guess how many 4 men comp squads he got during those 500 games? 0, which is why the streak is still active. As far as I remember there was only like handfull of games where they even managed to finish all gens, and none where the gates got opened… I think that should be enough evidence, when a person can win 500 times in a row without facing opponents he should get matched with a single then clearly matchmaking is broken.

What you describe here is the macro game against Blight, but people didn't lose to these comp level Blights because of bad macro, they lose because they last like 20-30 seconds in chase each… If you get 4 really good solo survivors without comms they will do far better than the people that are usually unlucky enough to end up in games vs people doing win streaks. I fully agree that it helps and that soloq is at a disadvantage when it comes to the macro, but even if those ordinary people playing against the comp Blight had voice chat and callouts and all that stuff, they would still get demolished because the other guy plays on comp level and they don't. Also you can negate some of those things with good game sense, which is something good players tend to have. No, those things don't make people look like Serral, there is a massive difference there and it is not even comparable.

Well even though I don't think people will suddenly be that much better against a Blight that would currently wipe their floor I am all for evening the grounds between solo and swf.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,889

Since his nerfs, he is a lot fairer. The only reason left to be annoyed about anymore is he is an insane skill check.

He is hard to dodge because of his flicks, and he recovers fast from a miss, so you can only predict when he will take an injection and try for an m1, not react. This gives him a lot power to zone you, and to prevent you leaving tiles, all the while he can walk you down for m1s while charging his power the whole time. Billy can ofc course hit you the same but Billy without his chainsaw is just sn m1 killer, so he doesn't have the same value off an m1 from Blight.

All of this means that he required exceptional knowlege of tiles to have even half a chance, this makes him very frustrating to fave... not aided by the fact he tends to be played by uber sweats.

• mizark3
    mizark3 Member Posts: 2,207

I would say in general, Blight isn't hated. I would say sweatlords are what are truly 'root cause' hated. Blight is so strong, that he attracts sweatlords (just as Billy now is attracting sweatlords). If you really like a good steak, but 20 greasy goobers wipe it between their pits, you probably aren't going to want to eat it. Since too many experiences with Blight are the pit-sweat stained version, they start to think that is all Blights, and don't take the chance on eating that steak.

I would say Nurse is truly hated even though she similarly attracts sweatlords. Nurse just disables most of your ability to play the game, and you have to play an entirely different game to beat her. I share the opinion she should be on a different launcher/only in customs, she is that unenjoyable to face.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,876
    edited June 19

Yeah, I would agree that most of the reason that Blight is hated is because he attracts people obsessed with winning, and play Blight in the sweatiest way possible: the strongest perks and add-ons, hard tunneling right out of the gate every game, etc. Not all Blights, but most I encounter play like their lives depend on getting a 4K. There's a lot of intersectionality between sad, desperately sweaty players and S-Tier killers.

If there were a Venn diagram with people who play like their entire sense of self worth is tied to not losing at a video game and people who exclusively play S-tier killers, it'd be a near perfect circle. These are the same people that will exploit every major bug that comes along because they can't even conceive of not taking every legal advantage they possibly can, even if it makes the game painfully boring.

So yeah, more a player issue than a Blight issue. But that doesn't change that most Blight games suck.

• VantablackPharaoh91
    VantablackPharaoh91 Member Posts: 584

Blight is really fast and as old MFT, Nurse, and other fast Killers with little cooldown prove - extra speed breaks Looping and makes it hard to even engage with. Not impossible, but really hard. I don't see Blights mindgame really. I prefer the looping dance I do with Killer, and the chase dance I do at loops with Survivors AS the Killer, which is why I play M1s mostly. It's just more fun.

Blights have a reputation, unfairly so IMHO, of being super duper sweaty. Not all Blights are this way at all. But a lot of Blights are very competitive because he can be super oppressive especially with Lethal Pursuer and slowdown perks.

Blight's addons used to be really, really broken. Like OP broken, to the point every Blight ran them every time and it was frustrating to play against. Some people harbor resentment of that still despite it being fixed, the way some people still hate Knight and Skurchent because they used to be able to hold 3gens super well.

• hermitkermit
    hermitkermit Member Posts: 323

I think I understand what you're saying, but we may still disagree. I find it disingenuous to label the majority of players as "low skill." Prioritizing the top 5% of players over the majority seems unfair. The majority of the player base shouldn't have to adapt to the standards of the top 5%, and nothing—be it a killer, perk, or item or whatever—should only be counterable by the highest-skilled players. Imo, blight and nurse have such strong base kits that they already exceed the average skill level of most players. When combined with certain perks, playstyles, maps,they can easily dominate, as evidenced by their kill streaks.

I've made a similar point before, but I'll use this example again: if one or two students struggle with an assignment while the rest of the class does fine, it's probably just a personal skill issue between the two. However, if 75% of the class struggles, the assignment is probably too difficult. In my opinion, the majority of the survivor player base is average in skill—not low, not high. Blight dominates both low-skill and average-skill players, which is why many people may dislike facing him.

If you believe that nearly 2,000 consecutive 4ks with blight only happened because of consistently failed matchmaking, it feels a little tin-foil-hat, respectfully.

In any case, thank you for taking the time to give your perspective. gliyn gamer :)

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,804

I think it's less so Blight himself that's the issue and more so the people who play him

The "Sweaty Quad Slowdown P100 TTV Winstreak farmer" stereotype exists for a reason

• alpha5
    alpha5 Member Posts: 293

Now you bring up a killer against which macro is even more important. Sure, good players who play much more than casuals will win the majority of their games. I don't want to discuss if 500:1 or 1947:1 is appropriate for an asymmetrical game with a playerbase of this size with a matchmaking to make queue times reasonable.

To get back on topic I will repeat mobililty makes Blight overtuned. There are plenty of >P50 Nurses, Blights and Billys with far less than 10k hours destroying lobbies left and right. Unless you want to tell me all of those are comp players, too.

• Archol123
    edited June 19

The point stays though, it should match people with equal skill and does not do that, therefore the streak continues, which is kind of fair... Like my whole point here is that it did not once match KNightlight with players of equal skill, probably because 4 men comp Squads don't really play pub matches... But that's an issue by itself... We cannot even know if Blight or Nurse are busted when mastered because we don't get to see a fair match with equally skilled opponents in public matches in an amount that would allow us to judge... And to be fair, no matter if nurse or Blight in that scenario, if you are not a comp squad in that scenario you won't win against a comp player... Which is once again fair, because how could you expect to do so otherwise? The game would be majorly unbalanced otherwise.

Sure I guess, you don't need to be a comp player to win the majority of matches, look at almost every streamer, they also win the majority of their matches, on almost every killer... The major issue is matchmaking. I play mainly Wraith these days and I would say I win almost all my matches (chase wraith, not the hit and run stuff...) and I also don't have 10k hours, but the majority of games I get just have rather new survivors... And before somebody tells me I am low mmr and that's why, how am I low mmr if I win almost all of my matches? I am pretty sure there are competent survivors around my level in the matchmaking pool, but I guess they get the far players, because at that level there are not enough to match... So to go back on the main topic... Matchmaking is the issue, you can play almost every killer and get to a really high streak if you are good enough, there players with 200+ streak on Nemesis, 100+ on Clown and so on... Those killers are by no definition overturned, by they still get huge streaks.

• squbax
    squbax Member Posts: 1,436

Billy stopped being respected and became hated once he stopped being garbage. Because frankly, people DO NOT like good killers. People often tend to refute this with: but people find wesker,blight, oni and billy to be fun. But that statement misses just one single word, let me show you how the phrase when it being actually honest looks like:

People find BAD weskers, BAD blights, BAD onis and BAD billis fun. The moment the wesker is flicking and hug teching, the moment the blight is actually good with rushes and bump logic, when the oni can flick and uses slugging to build pressure, and the moment billy uses overheat correctly at loops they become unfun.

• Archol123

I don't know about that, before Billy got nerfed in the first place people already loved him... But sure some people just don't like a challenge in chase...

• squbax
    squbax Member Posts: 1,436

From someone who has played since the game literally released, idk where this narrative was born. People despised billy, crack billy and instasaw was mostly what you saw and people hated it.

People had issues with him a lot, the fact content creators didn't expressed this does not mean it didn't exist, even then a lot of them commented on billys "unfairness".

Like only briefly before his nerf and after it I heard this "everyone loved billy" because most of the people In the community at the time voiced their discontent for the killer.

• Archol123

I mean instasaw yes, crack Bill was OK for the community I think, at least that's how I remember it...