The Inevitable Nerfing of Weave Attunement

Dreamnomad
Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,843
edited June 19 in Feedback and Suggestions

First lets just get this part out of the way, yes it needs nerfed. Having played it extensively over the last few days, I don't think that part is even debatable. For large parts of a match it is like having infinite wallhacks. The value of knowing where players aren't is almost as valuable as knowing where players are. Counter play by survivors is possible by either not bringing or picking up items or dropping items off on some corner of the map but neither of those are healthy for the game. In short, value too high, counter play too low.

With that out of the way I've spent a lot of time thinking about the best way to make this perk viable but balanced. I've considered lowering the range of the aura reading but reached the conclusion that there is no balanced range. It will always be either too good or too bad. I think the best solution is a time limit on the aura reading per item. Something like 90 to 120 seconds seems fair. That time shouldn't be reset if the item is picked up and dropped later either.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• not_Queef
    not_Queef Member Posts: 820

It kinda sucks that if I run Dramaturgy, I'm basically dropping wallhack beacons all around the map every time I get an item.

• Rauy556
    Rauy556 Member Posts: 41

The perk combo is definitely not weak by any means, anyone saying it is weak is a) incredibly biased or b) not very good/experience at the game.

The issue with the perk is that it absolutely destroys Solo Q squads but is easily counterable by a team on Comms, the counterplay to this combo is VERY simple, take all your items to a singular corner of the map and thats it, just like that 2/4 of the killer's perks are obsolete. Also, another very interesting counter to it is to use Object of Obsession since you get permanent aura reading on the killer within the radius of the dropped item, this is notably strong on tiles such as shack where it is extremely difficult for the killer to down you despite having aura due to seeing the killer's aura being way more powerful on survivor.

I will say maybe what they can do to 'nerf' this combo is to make the perk debuff icon of Weave Attunement on the survivor screen to fill up 'red' the closer they are to the dropped item that is revealing their aura, similar to old spinechill that filled up with red gradually as the killer moved closer to you. I think this is the best way to address this synergy as revealing the aura of dropped items will just completely kill the combo, with my proposed fix it also requires some 'detective' work from the survivors to counter 2/4 of the killer's perks, whcih I think is completely fair.

• Yharwick
    Yharwick Member Posts: 521

How often are people running into it? I've seen it 2-3 times the past week and it was fine and definitely had an impact but it didn't come across as unfair to me.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,036

more popular (in a sense of gaining popularity) =/= popular.

Not the first time you either misread something or made something up what I said.

• Rogue11
    Rogue11 Member Posts: 1,409

if my choice is between 4 slowdowns or permanent wall hacks at multiple tiles unless i spend 2 mins searching every blade of grass trying to figure out where little timmy dropped his toolbox (while revealing my aura to the killer the entire time) i'll take the first option.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,029

i am saying it won't gain popularity. more niche of a perk.

• AnxiousGummy
    AnxiousGummy Member Posts: 123

Legion also has an add on that makes survivors drop their items when they are hit while in Frenzy.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,690
    edited June 18

This could be a neat perk combo with Legion + Add-On + Thana

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,232

I think Charlotte has one that lets Vicky have the same affect as well.

• Oh_deer
    Oh_deer Member Posts: 29
    edited June 18

i think the best way to balance this perk is to make its aura reading effect only apply to the survivor who dropped the item.

either that or make the aura reading only apply for like 1 second when you gain the effect and then for 1 second when you lose the effect.

• jezebelthenun
    jezebelthenun Member Posts: 195

As a surv main, perks like this don't concern me. There are several other info/aura perks with way more value. And Franklin's only bothers me when I bring a BNP and get whacked before using it. Can they be annoying, sure, but they're pretty counterable.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 5,366

The devs really need to think things through a bit more before release. I think having it on a time limit is a fair option.

• HexHuntressThighs
    HexHuntressThighs Member Posts: 1,243
    edited June 19

Legion has the stolen sketch book add on where after the first feral frenzy hit each subsequent hit causes survivors to drop their item

• Rogue11
    Rogue11 Member Posts: 1,409

If survivors had a perk combo that just instantly nuked whatever add ons you brought, how do you think it would go over? Surely you dont need to bring strong add ons every match. You're just relying on them too much to carry you. Just run no add ons and the survivors waste their perk slots!

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266
    edited June 19

the perk (or perk combo) is in a strange spot. Its useless if survivors dont bring item, yes.
    though killers totally not to use the perk if there are 1-2 items. But only if there are 4 of them for maximize the effect.

If a perk can deny the usage of 4 items that can save alot of time. I dont think its that bad.

I dont know how many nice things survivors get in the past and in the future.

But it will never beat the nice thing Devs give to killers: decisions to brought up 20% of kill rate it used to be.

Can you image if Devs increase the Gen time to 200sec per Gen but at the same time wants the kill rate dropped to 40%? That nice thing of 200sec Gen now sounds not so nice.

• JeanGreyarea
    JeanGreyarea Member Posts: 498

it is useless if they don’t bring an item but since killers can see the survivors in the lobby they can just lobby dodge in none have an item

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

I mentioned it. Like Lightborne, killers can use the perk ONLY if there are at least 2 flashlights. Same to this perk, they ONLY use if there are 3-4 items. So bringing the case where survivors dont bring item just to justify the perk is weak or useless is silly, using this perk when there is 1-2 items is on killers' fault, not the perk is weak.

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,891

I would not go that far.

Most perks on both sides are sitationally useful. That means, that in some situations, they will give good value but are useless in others.

This, of course, makes them less desirable than perks that give guaranteed value almost every game.

Does it make them useless though? No. I think not.

90% is also a bit exaggerated don't you think?

• Zakon05
    Zakon05 Member Posts: 185

As someone who plays both sides but prefers the killer role, I would legitimately rather play against 4 slowdowns than Weave Attunement, personally.

4 slowdowns is stronger, absolutely.

However, when the killer runs 4 slowdowns, I don't have the item I spent blood points on to bring into the match get knocked out of my hands by Franklins and then used as a beacon to give the killer aura reading in that area unless I'm willing to head back over there and pick it back up and put it into a corner of the map.

It is legitimately one of the most "feel bad" perk combos I've personally played against in my 3000 hours.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,862
    edited June 19

Tbh, the only reason people are complaining is cause of it being annoying to lose your item.

I myself get annoyed by the perk, cause usually I only bring strong items when I have a specific build idea in mind that needs one, such as Scavenger, Champion of Light, or some quirky MFT + altuistic Medkit build... this loadout basically deletes my build, which is obviously frustrating...

However it's quite a stretch to call this perk combo overpowered, especially when it's revealed to you on your HUD that you're affected by it... I haven't seen games where the Killer has ran it and we've been effortlessly smoked by it as a result... the game has still been absolutely winnable with this combo in play.

• Dreamnomad

Let's be clear about something here. I'm not a "survivor". I despise playing survivor. I basically only ever play survivor for the tome challenges and I hate every second of it. Unlike too many people on these forums, I don't subscribe the concept of "us vs them". What I would like to see is a balanced game that everyone can enjoy. I have been using and abusing the hell out of Frankin's and Weave. I will continue to do so for as long as it remains so powerful. But that doesn't mean I don't recognize that it is a problem. I don't want to see weave attunement be useless. The purpose of this thread is to start a constructive conversation on what would be balanced.

• Dreamnomad

You aren't using it right then. You pair it with Franklin's Demise. If you are using it with Franklin's and you still think it is underpowered then I don't know what to tell you but you are clearly doing it wrong.