The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Hook Respawn - Why are players already complaining?

Rauy556
Rauy556 Member Posts: 41

Seriously, can someone that shares the opinion of it being too strong or unbalanced please let me know their reasoning? I've seen many claims that this change will increase tunneling and camping rates which I think is really a ludicrous reach.

Also, I have seen people compare hook breaks to survivors 3 genning themselves which I think is not comparable at all for the following reasons: 1) A killer is unable to choose where the survivor wants to get downed, if they want to go to a corner of the map with only 1 hook you cant as a killer stop them. As opposed to 3 gens, which can be identified and broken by the survivors earlier, + the anti - 3 gen mechanic is in the game. 2) Hooking is not meant to be an extremely complicated mechanic to the point where you have to spontaneously plan out which areas have 1 (broken) hook due to them being in the corners and just slug the survivor for 4 minutes.

Furthermore, I really do not understand the claim that this change will lower the killer skill floor, it is not like hooks respawning give you free kills, a killer player still needs to chase, down, and get to a hook (avoiding anti-hook perks or strats) in order to get a hook. Claiming that there is a significant macro skill element to 'spreading' out your hook locations is a bit ridiculous considering the layout and hook spawns of most maps means that often times you only have 1 hook you can realistically make it to if a survivor gets downed in a certain position.

This change is extremely good for improving the quality of life and reducing the amount of frustrating slugging situations due to the conjunction of bad map layout and bad hook spawns. This change will probably have an impact in like 1/20 games.

Comments

• Rauy556

No, I have been playing dbd since 2018, I know they complain about everything balance related. I thought this change would be different for some reason given it has basically little to no effect on gameplay and balance, so I am just a bit surprised that people are even complaining about a change as innocent as this XD.

• BbQz
    BbQz Member Posts: 83

Your claim of it not being comparable to 3 genning is wrong. That simple claim destroys your entire post. Survivors running killers into dead zones isn't a new concept by any means good killers realize that players do this so other players can work on gens in the area your currently patrolling. Your your job as killers to break chases or prioritize targets when end game gets close.

It's understandable why you would want respawning hooks it would make playing killer easier to justify this fact you made a essay to explain why it should be easier for killers is wild

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,532

I think your idea would not really fix the problem unfortunately because it would still be possible for a killer to have no choice but to sacrifice 2 survivors on the only 2 hooks in an area, which would then create the same issue.

Respawning hooks is a pretty safe way to prevent this. I agree though, that there shouldn't be 3 hooks right next to each other. It's fine if there are multiple hooks in reach when the killer picks up (after all, they have little control where the chase ends) but these severe camping spots definitely aren't healthy and on some maps the killer is encouraged to use that (RPD being one of the worst offenders).

• Rauy556

I agree that in some situations you could hook more centrally, which is also beneficial for a killer as they can more easily manage paths to the hook. The issue is when a survivor goes down in a CORNER of a map and there is only ONE possible hooking location from the spot when they went down, meaning that if you sacrifice a person on that hook after they get downed in that corner and then another survivor later in the match gets downed in that corner aswell (with the broken hook) it means they are essentially unhookable, at no fault of the killer player.

• RedPoncho12
    RedPoncho12 Member Posts: 157

tbh I’m not crazy about the change. I personally really enjoy when playing killer that in some games I have to be conscious about where I death hook survivors, because I may create a dead zone. Say, if I did make a dead zone and the survivors use it to their advantage then that is on me, not the survivors. I also feel like if it was ever felt like dire issue to me than I’d run perks like iron grasp, but I’ve never felt it was truly an issue. I’ve always kind of enjoyed that specific aspect of the gameplay, but I understand why they’re doing this. So, in the long term I think it is probably going to be a very positive change for the game. Now, I’m not sure if 60 seconds is a long enough timeframe for the hooks to regenerate but we’ll see in the PTB

• Rudjohns
    Rudjohns Member Posts: 1,965

Hooks break = survivors running to those deadzones = more time for the killer to put the survivor on a hook = more time for teammates to do objectives

Thats just a single example
    There are many

• SkeletonDance
    SkeletonDance Member Posts: 293

I like this change

• jezebelthenun
    jezebelthenun Member Posts: 195

Y'know what? Yes. The best killers know not to commit to fruitless chases. They don't chase a survivor into a dead zone. They don't waste time chasing the clicky clicky lithe megs. Knowing when to let a person go is just as important in a killer's skill set as anything else. If you do commit to those chases, you wasted your own time. You got baited into losing gens and hooks. Pay attention to your surroundings.

You=anyone playing killer.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,131

Boil Over needs a change, too. There's no activation requirement, there's no way to deactivate it, it just always works. I get stuck on the environment sometimes due to normal wiggling, so when I pick up someone with Boil Over, I often sigh and say "Whatever" and bleed them out. That's fine that they want to bleed out, but it's rather tedious for me, bleeding people out is tedious, and that's not what I play video games to do.

• jezebelthenun

It's knowing WHEN to drop chase. . .

Not every chase needs to have commitment. Not every chase is supposed to end in a hook or a slug full stop. This is crazy.

• jezebelthenun

True skill is knowing the difference between a worthwhile chase and a bait. Knowing when to go apply pressure to the gens instead of chasing any survivor you see. Where did the attitude that every chase is supposed to end in a hook come from? Is hooking the end goal? Sure, but is it the only way to play, not by a long shot.

• AmpersandUnderscore
    AmpersandUnderscore Member Posts: 1,655

You realize survivors control where a chase is going, right?

This has to be a joke. This is only true if the killer is a bot that follows the survivor's exact path and kicks pallets on cool down.

You should look up a zoning guide for killer if you truly believe this. Zoning the survivor to cut off certain avenues for them to run is literally killer 101.

And as for dropping chase, if you leave a survivor to run themselves into a dead zone, that's a survivor not on gens while you can go for someone actually contributing to gens.

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733
    edited June 21

I get what they mean with zoning, but its both character and tile specific. In many cases, zoning is either ineffective or minimally effective against a survivor who understands tiles and knows where they want to go. That said, there are often many times (especially with ranged killers or anti-loop killers) where they can corral the survivor in a particular direction (especially when already wounded) or force them to go down early.

Against a killer like ghostface or myers at strong tiles that link easily into other tiles though? not so much.

• NerfDHalready
    NerfDHalready Member Posts: 1,718

to be honest, i'm a killer-leaning player but i'm very indifferent to this change. thinking about hook breaks in advance like not using hooks near gates was kinda fun and strategic, and people knew they will get bled out if they crawled to a hook dead zone so hook breaks barely was an issue. if anything this makes clutch moments rarer and not a fan of that.

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,804

My assumption is that people who like Boil Over are whining that they cannot abuse bad hook RNG as easily anymore

Aside from that, I can't think of a good reason to complain, this is a universally good change

• Rauy556

Except hooks are the only way for the killer to progress their gameplay, pallets are not THE way survivors progress their gameplay objectives, they help them in achieving this but are not the pivotal part of it as a survivor team can escape without using a single pallet but a killer cannot sacrifice without hooks. Hooking is the only thing killers can do to progress their win condition, so comparing this with pallets is not an appropriate comparison, also hooks by themselves do nothing to affect gameplay, they are only used when the killer has already chased, downed and picked up a survivor.

Also, I really disagree with the claim that all maps have 2 hooks easily reachable from a corner, there are many maps that I have played on that have only 1 hook in a corner as a result of a hill and the basement spawining within close proximity, a good example of this is in the Crotus Penn Asylum realm. There is also the case of Badham, mothers Dwelling and others I cannot recall. This change is necessary to address bad map and hook layouts. Granted it is a 'bandaid fix' but I would much rather have this than have to wait 5 years for them to individually address the problematic maps.

Do you seriously believe this change will lead to more tunneling? Please explain, because I would tell you that every person that tunnels would laugh at the suggestion that the 'hook destruction upon sacrifice' mechanic deters them and makes them thoroughly think before tunneling due to the punishment it can have.

This change is really not that big of a deal, it is not like it provides immense free value for killer like an automatic down, as opposed to your comparison of respawning pallets which essentially provides free chase time extensions for no input from a survivor. A respawning pallet mechanic could work if survivors had to waste time in order to 'respawn' it, like a rebuild action, this would be the equivalent of a killer needing to chase and get a down to then make use of the hook.

Also, ofcourse people that want to slug will still do it, but this mechanic just minimises the situation where a killer is stuck in a situation where the last survivor just constantly runs to a corner of the map knowing the nearest hook is destroyed out of spite and wants to waste the killer's time for winning the match.

• Rauy556

That is not the point I am arguing, ofcourse dropping chase is a CRITICAL skill for killers to learn in order to improve, im referring to the following:

The situation where a killer is stuck in a situation where the last survivor just constantly runs to a corner of the map knowing the only reachable hook is destroyed out of spite and wants to waste the killer's time for winning the match.

Obviously if there are multiple survivors alive it is pointless to commit to the chase of the survivor that takes you to the unhookable zone and instead try to down the others, but the problem is when the last survivor does this constantly and you MUST wait 4 mins/EGC if hatched is closed.

• Rauy556
    edited June 26
    1. Complaining about bloodlust in 2024 is crazy, if you loop a killer for 35 seconds only for them to then get a single health state you already have a cumulative 116% total gen progress (35s *3), not to mention only WEAK M1 killers utilize blood lust to any degree. If a killer relies on bloodlust for every chase they WILL LOSE the game unless the survivors straight up do not do gens for an insane amount of time.
    2. No way you think windows should not block? It is VERY hypocritical how you say bloodlust is braindead but want windows to not block after a certain amount of vault attempts considering there are many god windows that the only most effective counterplay is to force the block. Windows not blocking also only punishes the very weak killers since a nurse nor a blight will care about vaults since they can easily catch up, but a freddy or myers? Kind of crazy how you have played since 2016 so you know about the infinites that existed due to this mechanic not being implemented, yet you claim it is braindead for an anti-infinite mechanic?
    3. What "deadzone"? Seriously what do you mean by this? If you mean a hooking deadzone then thats problematic game design, there SHOULD NOT be a specific area in maps where a survivor can get downed which prevents the killer from hooking them when they are not using any anti-hooking perks.

Post edited by JocelynAwakens on
  • ArkInk
    ArkInk Member Posts: 651

There's aot of discourse here over a change that'll hardly ever matter imo. It just means a neat atmosphere part of the game is gone while also ensuring killers won't have to deal with certain survs running straight into dead zones the moment they get in chase.

An eye for an eye, so I have no real sway.

• mizark3
    mizark3 Member Posts: 2,209

Paragraph 1 Reply - Basekit there are 2 ways to kill Survivors, Bleedouts and hooks. Bleedouts are not enjoyable, but a Kobe equivalent option on the ground is the solution to that problem. But if you want to swap the standard to gens, the only way to progress the objective (which Survivor truly only has 1 way), then gens should be 're-completeable' after the 240s, while still counting towards the total gens completed. Then we can remove the 3-gen regression limit also.

Paragraph 2 Reply - Maybe we have different definitions of 'easily reachable', so I'll lay out my definition here. "Easily reachable" is a hook that you can head towards, but still have time to redirect to another hook in time to reach, or safely drop the Survivor to the Dying stage (not injured). That may mean you can 'easily reach' 4 hooks in the majority of cases. Every case I've had of basement interrupting normal hook spawns due to a hook deadzone (that I could hook a Surv on), I've been able to reach basement itself in time. Long lines do appear to be the exception to this rule (like both sides of Killer shack on the Asylum), but still means you can reach 2 hooks at minimum. If I used those 2 hooks, and the 3rd Surv would rather bleedout in the corner than let me hook them, they made that choice.

Paragraph 3 Reply - Does a speedbump prevent speeding? Well at the very least speedbumps deters speeding. Hook death is a speedbump against tunneling, and removing a speedbump increases the chance that someone will speed through the area, thus increasing the chance that someone will tunnel in the right circumstances. It slightly impacts the Killers ability to kill the remaining Survivors as a result of tunneling. With that slight disincentive removed, it stands to follow that tunneling will increase (by however slightly it may be). (Tunnel section of this post pasted here, if it seems like context is missing, check the original post)

For tunneling, it penalizes early kills because a tool is permanently
    lost. If I tunnel someone and put them on a Scourge hook, I lose one of
    my 4 valuable hooks to get my PR/Floods/GoP/etc. on. If I delete a hook,
    I give the remaining 3v1 the slightest bit of a better chance than a
    drawn-out loss for Survivor, that it basically is in any match with a
    Killer who has a modicum of skill, with more than 1 gen remaining.

Paragraph 4 Reply - This is kind of my point, if it is not a big deal, then NOT making the change is also not a big deal. I'm not even advocating for not putting the change through. I think the bottom 75% of players having this change is a far better thing than what is lost for the top 25% of players. Anyone wanting skill expression to not be removed should be crying against this change, and if they don't, then in the next discussion with familiar names I'll know they are only wanting tribal changes, not good changes. If an action should be required for repairs, shouldn't both sides have to engage in such an action for the repairs (with a default 4-1 ratio, possible shorter time for Killer since travel time is also a consideration)? Why should a theoretical Killer auto-repair be baked into chase, and not Survivors (even if at the 4-1 ratio)?

Paragraph 5 Reply - That's fair to want to prevent Killer having to suffer a spite bleedout. I think no one should have to suffer a spite bleedout. Give Survivors a Kobe equivalent to die quicker on the ground, or the means to report Killers intentionally spite bleedouting the Survivor. The Kobe bleedout would be a safer option and not have to jump through a bunch of hoops. Also I've had strange pushback against bans for spite bleedouts, even when the standard of evidence is video proof of AFK crows under a hook. That just makes me think anyone against bans for spite bleedouts wants to continue to spite bleedout, because they don't come up with ways to prevent false reports and add on to the idea, they just say "no because X might happen".

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,060

You're right about one thing. The crazy macro play that's expected of killers over this topic is just insane. It's not necessary. I make the same argument when I was in favor of DS having a bigger skill check, or activating automatically: You're shoehorning skill into an action where there shouldn't be any. It's like asking survivors to hit skill checks to cleanse at Plague fountains, or cryptic crap like remembering the position of Myers's hand to play around Tombstone.

Killers avoiding split maps has nothing to do with knowing where exactly they need to hook a survivor, which is subjective. Y'all are using "map knowledge" and "match awareness" as a vague umbrella term so that you can include hooks in that. But survivors can see what hooks each other are on. If you started spectating someone in the middle of their killer match, and you saw they had whatever amount of hooks, could you tell which survivors were on what hook? No, and the killer can't always remember either, especially with same-outfit players. Let the killer have the same access to information on hooks that the survivors have, and then we can argue that route. But right now, that line of thinking has nothing to stand on because it's an entirely unequal situation. You're asking survivors to remember a color, and asking the killer to remember a complex equation.

• scoser
    scoser Member Posts: 482

Just make remote hooking from the event part of the killer basekit, then hooks don't have to respawn.

• jezebelthenun

The situation where a survivor is stuck in a situation where the killer just constantly slugs to bleed out out of spite and wants to waste the survivor's time for having the audacity to actually have a chance at hatch.

• The_Yosh
    The_Yosh Member Posts: 150
    edited June 26

"The crazy macro", as in the minimal thought you need to put in about which hook to walk to? There isn't any shoehorning here. This is how it has been since 2016. The required skill was always there, yet people can't be bothered to activate their neurons.

"Let the killers have the same access to information on hooks that the survivors have". Not sure what you are getting at here. Killers can see hooks when hooking, and can see survivors on hooks when they are hooked…

Finally, trust me, there are no "complex equations" here. This isn't complex number integrals. It is simply looking at a hook and thinking about whether it is a good place to hook.

Anyway, it is what it is going to be. I've never had a memorable problem with hook management as a killer in my thousands of hours. Although, as someone who has seen survivor gameplay become more and more miserable, I am playing killer WAY more now. So, looking at the upside of the change from a killer mindset, I can see why people are happy. This change will allow me to tunnel people out in the corner of the map, and then tunnel the next person out in that same corner. 😎👍️

• hawker76
    hawker76 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 26

The hook respawn is an unnecessary change. Hook dead zoning is a good strategy if you know how to actually utilize it properly. It's a very rarely done strategy. Now with the whole 1 min respawn, it nulls the reason to even go for hook dead zoning. Makes gameplay less uninteresting and more braindead without using any unique strategies.

• Petsrme307
    Petsrme307 Member Posts: 2

There's already too many hooks that are close together. There's no need to have them respawn. As it is, wiggling off is near impossible.

• VomitMommy
    VomitMommy Member Posts: 2,259

I like the change, but seems like many players like to bleed out, so whenever someone tries to crawl into corner, I can just bleed them out anyway.

Wouldn't want to use "unfair" feature :D

In most games, it ended with kill anyway, in my over 2k hours, I had like three games where survivors got to escape because of bad hook spawns, everyone else ended with bleed out.

So it doesn't change results, just save time for everyone.