How have these fouum discussions changed the way you play, if at all?

Options
CountOfTheFog
CountOfTheFog Member Posts: 1,891

I was just thinking about how much these forums have changed the way I play both roles and was wondering if anyone else has ever drastically changed their playstyle and/or avoided adopting one due to concerns raised?

For example, when MFT came out and I saw the disdain Killers had for it, I used it in one match in which it was required for a Tome Challenge and never touched it again.

I'm currently avoiding the FD + Weave combo because of the Survivor frustrations.

I used to proxy camp and Tunnel, now it will only happen if I'm provoked (T-bagging) or if it's really getting late game.

Those are a few examples. Have you experienced this? Changing your playstyle due to reading fellow forum users concerns.

Comments

• KingFieldShipper
    KingFieldShipper Member Posts: 610
    Options

Has not changed the way I play at all, tbh, but in general, it’s definitely changed my perception of the dbd community as a whole (for the worse). That said, my views on annoying perks typically align and I don’t run perks I find annoying - ie old eruption, sprint burst, etc, but it’s definitely not because of posts from here.

• SaltyNooty
    SaltyNooty Member Posts: 275
    Options

Sometimes, but that was way back when i was new to the forums; and god knows my posts were absolutely horrific and objectively wrong.

I do use the forums to sometimes stay informed and aware of whats going on, beyond the 'Us vs them' bait and "Nerf Survivor/Nerf Killer' bait. The forum has influenced SOME of how I play, but not to any toxic or horrific degree.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,453
    Options

I hope to use this space to get some positive use out of the "us vs. themings" stuff. And educate where I can, debunk myths, things like that.

I know I'm not without biased opinions of course,, particularly as a consoler. Lots of work there to do,. Especially with our PC cousins some serious misunderstandings abound.

As far as gameplay goes, I do tend to farm a lil more when I see an obvious matchmaking fail. Far more than years ago.

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,097
    Options

It helped me improve a little when I first started since I had some kind people direct me to YouTube so I can watch how good players play. Other than that, not much. I still prefer stealth and am bad at looping but I at least know to keep aware of my surroundings and run before the Killer reaches my gen and waste their time by making them catch up to me.

• Eleghost
    Eleghost Member Posts: 1,050
    Options

It hasn't really changed much. I still play somewhat the same, mainly solo survivor or killer. I usually look around here to see if anything new has happened or bugs have come up or to talk about this or that issue.

• jezebelthenun
    jezebelthenun Member Posts: 77
    Options

I just joined and started posting, so it's all been generally disappointing.

I'm mostly kidding, but I highly doubt my play style will change due to being here.

• KatsuhxP
    KatsuhxP Member Posts: 360
    Options

Nope, I only change my playstyle after my own experiences. In my experience no survivor will ever thank you for not tunneling and camping and probably insult you if you loose, so I just do it if I get the chance and I don't care what survivors say to that.

I even find it funny when they insult me, it's mostly people playing sweaty/sweaty builds themself or entire swfs xD

• CountOfTheFog
    Options

The one thing that Nintendo Switch has going for it is that we have no end game chat or communication. I suppose putting up with insults and nasty people would have a significant impact on me too.

• KatsuhxP
    Options

Well like I said, I find it pretty funny to get insulted! xDDD

It's just a sign that they can't loose well for me, so I don't have a problem with it xD

• CountOfTheFog
    Options
  • CountOfTheFog
    Options

Does anyone ever just congratulate you on the win without being sarcastic? Also, is there ever nasty comments between the Survivors? Do they fight in chat about each other's perks and playstyle?

• KatsuhxP
    Options

Yes they do, I had actually people telling me as I tunneled and camped that I did everything right and their team-mates where just bad xD

So they did congratulate me kind off and at the same time they flamed the other survivors and their builds xD

The funniest people are still the one's that insult me because I'm german, as if that would matter in any way that they lost lol xD

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,453
    Options

Same. So many of those I looked forward to reading here are gone now. 😕

• I_Cant_Loop
    I_Cant_Loop Member Posts: 261
    Options

Play how you want to play (within the rules). Don't worry about what anyone else thinks, but also don't go out of your way to be toxic as some players do.

With that said, it's abundantly clear that many people on the forums only play one side. I think a majority of the "us vs them" garbage would be eliminated if people would bother to get perspective from the other side by walking in their shoes. I play both sides about equally so I am able to understand the frustrations coming from the killer and survivor roles.

• Rickprado
    Rickprado Member Posts: 500
    Options

I maybe considering to test a perk because of this, but i've NEVER changed my playstyle as a killer or as a survivor because someone disliked it.

Think that its more a BHVR problem that some problematic perks exist more than players problems. The thing is that we as community need to give honest and proper feedback about the game balance so the devs have a clearer path to change the game.

I'm currently avoiding the FD + Weave combo because of the Survivor frustrations.

I would you suggest you to use this build. It only works on M1 killers and only have value on high mobility killer like the Wraith. I've been testing and facing this combo and i think its very fair and has plenty of counters in the survivor side.

• CountOfTheFog
    Options

My Killers are all considered M1 I think.

1. Freddy
    2. Myers
    3. Trapper
    4. Wraith

I'm currently practicing with the following but I just end up using their basic attack most of the time and haven't won a match yet, not even a 2K most times:

• Huntress
    • Hillbilly
    • Wesker
    • The Knight

• Rickprado
    Rickprado Member Posts: 500
    Options

From the first 4, i think Wraith is the only one that uses this combo well, you should try it on him. I've tried Sloppy, Franklin's, Weave Atunnement and Corrupt, playing the hit and run style. Freddy can have some value, but his mobility is quite limited.

Of those 4 below, maybe the Knight can have some value, because you can see a survivor and try to snipe with a guard. But aside from this, i think you should pratice with the other 3 getting more hits with the powers (m2) than with a basic attack. They are quite hard killer to master, so don't be hard on yourself if you are having bad matches.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,569
    Options

I have no plans of leaving, even though I don't play much anymore.

I figured I've got 20K posts, I might as well keep going.

• Pulsar
    Options
  • GloomySpooks
    GloomySpooks Member Posts: 28
    Options

I have changed my playstyle. The forums taught me to be more selfish/stealthy because the survivor players make it clear they don't care about their soloq randoms and killers think everyone is a swf so they don't care if they tunnel you out at 5 gens. 🙃

• CountOfTheFog
    Options

I care very much about my teammates ❤️

I use "We'll Make It' and at least once every two weeks, I'll trade hooks during endgame so they can live and I be the sacrifice.

There's something about saving a teammate at the last moment so they can survive that is unlike any other feeling.

I remember playing as Nancy on Springwood and a Hillbilly tortured poor Feng Min the whole match, slugging her over and over.

I had been hooked twice and was determined to save her in endgame and I did.

The Hillbilly turned the opposite direction for just a moment and I saved her. I was slugged, knew I was going to die, but getting to see the aura of the rest of your SoloQ escape is so worth it.

• tjt85
    tjt85 Member Posts: 727
    Options

Not really. If anything it's made me less likely to change the way I play, because it's made much me more aware of the diversity of thought throughout the DBD community as to how you "should" be playing the game, what perks and play styles are unhealthy or annoying etc. Obviously I've got my own opinions on all this stuff too, but they're often quite different to that of a lot of other players.

I'm pretty sure a good chunk of the DBD player base wouldn't like the way I play anyway (sometimes they tell me they don't!), so I just stick to my own set of rules now and don't worry too much about it.

• 100PercentBPMain
    100PercentBPMain Member Posts: 544
    Options

I'm a trend setter

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,097
    edited June 25
    Options

I don’t have it in me to argue anymore. I find myself typing responses to people and then just changing my mind and deleting the text because, most of the time, people don’t want to learn or have a discussion, they just want to rant.

• HerInfernalMajesty
    HerInfernalMajesty Member Posts: 1,201
    Options
  • Pulsar
    Options

Except for a few, I never argue to change those people's minds, I'm always trying to demonstrate to someone else,

• Beaburd
    Beaburd Member Posts: 938
    Options

After some lengthy discussions about how bad Bardic inspiration is on here, and some clarification on how repair speed toolbox add-ons work in an erroneous bug report thread of mine, I've managed to eek out enough value from Bardic to justify its use that it's part of one of my favorite builds currently.

In that way, these discussions have actually altered my perspective enough to change my gameplay style.

Don't get me wrong though, the perk is still too niche to be of value in 99% of builds, but at least I found something.

Also, even after weeks of experimenting, Still Sight and Mirrored Illusion are still too terrible to seriously use in a build. I'm still desperately trying to make Still Sight work, but am failing to do so; while Mirrored Illusion is just crap to be blunt.

• CountOfTheFog
    Options

If I'm feeling lucky, I use it to Serenade the Killer.

I have escaped several times with this. I even get my whole team out sometimes.

We were getting absolutely steamrolled by this Alien 👽 in the photo below. I made a little distance after a pallet stun and rolled the dice 🎲

Last night in SoloQ, we were getting absolutely steamrolled by a Huntress and the Jill on our team played some music and all ended well… except for the Survivor who died before she played the music 💀