DBD competitive suggestion

The DBD comp scene has been growing larger the recent years, despite critique from parts of the community who sees it as foolish due to the game’s inherent randomness and imbalance. It therefore gladdens me to see BHVR supporting and giving it more attention. In the quote below (recent Reddit AMA) we see a long sought suggestion being well received. I want in this post propose a suggestion I’d find greatly beneficial to the comp scene.

Q: Should we expect DbD to move into direction of becoming an actual esports, backed by BHVR themselves?

A: This answer comes in two parts!

As far as the development of the game goes, we are not planning on balancing with esport-level competitiveness as the priority. Our current focus is around making the game enjoyable for as many people as we can. This means that we may sometimes make changes that are positive for most players, but less so for competitive folks.

With that said, a competitive scene has flourished despite that! Player organized tournaments have their own rule sets designed to keep things fair and interesting when played at that level. We have recently begun supporting some community driven tournaments by providing prizes, and we are planning to continue this moving forward. We're also interested in seeing how we can support these tournaments in the game with features & improvements to custom games. If there's something in particular you'd like to see, let us know! -Mandy

Q2: Hey, there’s one very simple improvement that will probably help the competitive scene out more than literally anything: letting players choose the seed of the map they’re about to play. a seed override would fix the problems of RNG since comp players could play the same one over multiple matches.

A2: That's a great idea! Please keep those ideas coming! -Mandy

The first and most ambitious suggestion: Perk/Add-on tweaks.

I find it that sad that many perks are banned due to them being too strong. Which removes a lot of potential and varied matchup. Certainly killer add-ons. Solution: Let us tweak add-ons and perks. How this would work is that in the custom game menu, there would be an option for creating “own rule-set”. Where one can edit stats in perks and add-ons. Not creating brand new perks, but e.g. changing Sprint Burst haste to 125% and exhaustion to 50 seconds or Deadlock to 20 seconds. This would create seed that you could then share and then be used in like a tournament.

Second suggestion: Free spectator mode.

Quite straightforward, the camera is no longer bounded by the players POV. So you could have a POV of the entire map for greater enjoyment for the watcher.

Thank you for reading.

Comments