The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Changing Kindred

bluesidesoul
bluesidesoul Member Posts: 41
edited July 13 in Feedback and Suggestions

Okay, so, might be a controversial take, but I think that kindred should be basekit, but without seeing killer aura. It's basically a must in solo queue if you want to save time by not running halfway to a hook just to find out that someone already unhooked. I think we could scrap kindred and change it to where it's a perk that allows you to see the killers aura around hook with maybe an extra affect like moving faster or hiding your aura in the hooks range. Just an idea, I still love kindred with all my heart but hate feeling like my game is already worse without running it.

Post edited by EQWashu on

Comments

• bluesidesoul
    bluesidesoul Member Posts: 41

Id love that. Both killer and surv would get basekits that help the flow of the game. Could make more interesting builds for killer as well since they wouldn't have to run it.

• Gylfie
    Gylfie Member Posts: 643

I don't think that's a controversial take at all, in fact, I've seen it numerous times over my years on this forum. I completely agree, too. I hate that an added downside of solo queue is that I have to sacrifice some of my perk slots for must-have things like Kindred or Bond or play without them but feel at a serious disadvantage.

• Royval
    Royval Member Posts: 490

same I don’t understand the need of basekit kindred just run bond.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,043

I used to think Kindred basekit was absolutely necessary, but I've found the addition of survivor icons has fixed most problems that used to come with blind unhooking, and that it generally handles itself nowadays. It's only baby players who don't understand that two people on a gen and one person being chased means that someone needs to get off the gen and go for the unhook. Or gen rushers, or partial SWF who don't care about anyone outside their SWF, or hatch hunters who are waiting for everyone else to die. And those are all players whom giving more information doesn't change anything. They wouldn't help you anyway. The only time I see the current model fail when Kindred would have helped, is when you have a player that's wasting time hiding or AFK, and the other two think the person with the blank icon must be going for the unhook until it's too late. Which is very annoying, but it isn't that common.

To be clear, I'm not opposed to it as long as the killer aura is removed from the perk, but I don't think it's needed either.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

I feel the same way about icons. Honestly the icons provide nearly all the information a Kindred base kit would be giving. Seems redundant.

• YuffieGreatestWaifu
    YuffieGreatestWaifu Member Posts: 196

Here is the deal if your playing a SWF team they already have equiv of Kindred and Bond up at all times. Solo Q players need the same footing to not just benefit them but we get a better read on what killers need for updates.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,077

not really. icon give incomplete information. Like i know someone is getting chased by icon but which pallets are being broken? I'd like to know so i don't run into deadzones….. Bond base-kit would be better.

I think this is only team-game that doesn't show information about teammates. Like can you imagine playing league of legends without shared fog of war? Like you can only see your own fog of war/vision. not your teammates? that is what DBD is like.

I imagine that aura for survivor will show up because they'll eventually end up buffing so many killers to be at SWF-level that soloq will feel too bad to play because too many killer got buffed for SWF but thrash soloq due to self-imposed poor play.

• Devil_hit11

i also don't think that corrupt is the way. i think buffing base regression so that kicking is more rewarding like 150%-200% is more logical. i don't feel like early game is that bad for killer. what i do feel is that i can't keep map presence on majority of killers because my ability regress is non-existent. it is just hook rush vs gen-rush game that favor's survivors. Of course survivor need to be good at chase for it to favor them but i have to massively outpace, outplay my opponent as killer to remotely keep up.

survivor can make ton of looping mistakes, gameplay errors and still put a ton of pressure on killer. i feel like killer play should be a little bit more impactful on outcome of gen pressure.

• Neaxolotl
    Neaxolotl Member Posts: 1,477

It should be basekit with killer aura, but range should be shorter

• Justa335i
    Justa335i Member Posts: 224

Deal, that is extremely fair.
    I main Pig, i'm losing either way 😅

• VomitMommy
    VomitMommy Member Posts: 2,259

Definitely not, even with shorter aura you can see where killer is heading, so this create just another annoying counterplay so you can't never run directly where you want, because survivors can always prerun/hide, if it's their direction.

• VomitMommy

Bond base-kit would be better.

No, it would be stronger. That's different.

It would also be buff even for SWF, while kindred is not that big deal and it helps survivors only when killer has some pressure. Bond would allow super easy protection hits / headon for everyone whole game even if killer is struggling, which doesn't make sense to me.

Main focus of kindred is to not make multiple survivors / no survivor run for unhooking. That's rarely happens for SWF, but is regular experience in soloQ.

• Neaxolotl

It would be stronger and buff for SWF but frankly I don't care, just increase every killer speed by 0.1m/s if it was too much

Anything that makes difference between SWF and soloq smaller is good

• VomitMommy

Bond basekit doesn't really make it smaller. Effect of bond is going to be used better by SWF than soloQ.

• Neaxolotl

I don't know, not running into gens with ongoing repair seems to be stronger than anything SWF can pull off

• Devil_hit11

i don't really use bond in swf. the perk will help soloq more than swf especially at medium levels. At medium level of survivor, saving a survivor from the hook in the end game vs m1 killer is so poor. it is ridiculously for how many people die in end game because of their poor coordination.

a big part of why soloq does gens so slowly is because they don't loop in correct places when other people are doing gens. it gives killer free generator defence. I also think that healing is not nearly as optimized in soloq as it could be creating unnecessary attachment to med-kits.

• VomitMommy

But that is going to work for SWF too.

Even above average SWF usually calls out only generic location of killer, or where is chase headed.

Bond creates an accuracy than almost no group is able to achieve and because of limited range, the generic location is suddenly more than enough for everyone.

SoloQ doesn't have that, for them global aura reading of survivors when someone is hooked is way better while effect is not that much important for SWF.

• VomitMommy
    edited July 14

i don't really use bond in swf.

Because they don't need it, but it is going to allow way easier gameplay for them.

the perk will help soloq more than swf especially at medium levels

Medium level SWF doesn't have that good call outs anyway. Everything it improves for soloQ also works for SWF, but body blocking is going to be used by SWF way more than SoloQ can ever dream of.

saving a survivor from the hook in the end game vs m1 killer is so poor. it is ridiculously for how many people die in end game because of their poor coordination.

If this is your example you want improved, than kindred is doing way better job at this anyway. You know, survivor on hook....

You could see who is going for save, who is still on gate, easier finding a location for healing.

For soloQ that's better than bond can ever be. While those results are really easy for SWF.

• Neaxolotl
  • Devil_hit11

high-level swf already bodyblock without needing it. it is more that soloq becomes able to bodyblock. My position on bodyblocking remains the same. decreasing the cooldown of basic attacks+reducing survivor sprint burst is my suggest change to lowering the potency of that.

if healing become too weak, than maybe make healing 12 seconds but slightly buff anti-heal perks like mangled being 30% instead of 20%. Maybe they'll revert thanatophobia to apply towards healing like before.

If this is your example you want improved, than kindred is doing way better job at this anyway. You know, survivor on hook....

that is just an example. there is many other cases of survivor playing poorly due to lack of aura.

• VomitMommy

Kindred effect is more important for soloQ than SWF way more in my opinion, while effect is not that oppressive for killers, because you can't really abuse it that well.

When someone is hooked, that's when I need help most as soloQ and global aura reading is clearly superior.

• Neaxolotl
    edited July 14

Either way, just show where other survivors are for everyone, and even killers with range of 4-8meter around hooked person, go wild and do everything

• VomitMommy
    edited July 14

high-level swf already bodyblock without needing it.

But you were talking about medium level, which is not true for them. Bond is going to make them on same level without skill needed.

anti-heal perks like mangled being 30% instead of 20%.

Funny you want something basekit and counterplay against the issue it creates it on perks...

If perks are fine as "fix" then just use Bond if you want it so much.

there is many other cases of survivor playing poorly due to lack of aura.

Like what? Kindred is doing way better job at it in all situations and it does it only if needed.

If killer doesn't have anyone hooked, then it's not really good idea to give basekit kinda "win more" effect.

Current balance SWF and killer doesn't need to change in my opinion. Bond definitely changes it a lot.

• Devil_hit11

but swf already gets "win-more" effect at good level. why does soloq need run perk taxes to be as good as swf? a top-level soloq player should have same chances to win as top-level swf. this makes survivor much easier to balance.

Funny you want something basekit and counterplay against the issue it creates it on perks...

In my ideal version, i would attempt to make m1 killer less perk dependant by giving them -20% successful cooldown and a reduction of speed boost to 1.5 from 1.8. STBFL would be weakened to 2% per stack.

One could argue that perhaps healing would not be as enjoyable with less speed, so i am suggesting that to reduce healing time from 16→12. In order to keep anti-heal perks somewhat relevant, mangled would be increased from 20→30% which is 15 second heal and thanatophobia would apply to healing at 5%. at max stacks, it would be 21.25 second heal which a little bit more then current mangled.

I don't know about mangled timer. i don't think this is good change i am not going to judge. this is sort of different topic altogether.

If perks are fine as "fix" then just use Bond if you want it so much.

I do use it. I just don't think it is healthy for soloq to be running Bond and Window of opportunity in the meta because it restricts any perk variety for 80% of soloq player-base. It is same thing with killers and the game-delay perks. there should be better base-kit game-delay for killer so that killer rely less on them. I am completely fine if they even weaken slowdown perks by like halving their numbers. the thing is, i don't think they need weaken slowdown perks because survivor technically have game progression perks.

• VomitMommy
    edited July 14

Your changes completely throw any balancing out of the window. And this is not soloQ improvement, that's completely rebalancing whole killer vs survivor.

And mangled is kinda useless when it's time limited now, changing % is kinda pointless. You can as well replace all of them with broken.

So if you want to nerf bodyblocking with basekit bond, you can give killers basekit Forced Penance. That will do the trick without affecting general gameplay.

Post edited by VomitMommy on
  • VomitMommy

Or go calm and do nothing.... Breaking everything for several months is not way to go on my opinion.

• Devil_hit11
    edited July 14

mangled is kinda useless when it's time limited now, changing % is kinda pointless. You can as well replace all of them with broken.

i can agree with that. They are scheduled to rework freddy. Originally they nerfed thanatophobia and freddy specifically. He used to be about this concept. We shall see how they change freddy. -action speed is weakest it has ever been for killer. Freddy has been dead for like 2 years. Sloppy butcher was last remaining perk standing. All weakened to the ground.

this is not soloQ improvement, that's completely rebalancing whole killer vs survivor.

if we focus on aura for survivor and better base-kit game-delay for killer. we are taking baby steps. bodyblocking and health-states is different angle to talk about for killer & survivor. overall my position on bodyblocking is that bodyblocking at base-kit shouldn't be good. if a survivor want to bodyblock safely, they should use an exhaustion perk to gain distance. For example 99% a sprint burst, taking a hit then use sprint burst post-hit or using small sprint to vault a window to Lithe. People have different opinion on exhaustion perks which is another whole can of worms to talk about… as some may view them as too strong especially if you talk to @Blueberry for example.

• VomitMommy

bodyblocking at base-kit shouldn't be good

Well, right now bodyblocking is definitely strong thing to do against M1 killers at least. But it can be difficult to coordinate even with SWF.

Bond makes it equally as effective, but way easier.

• Archael
    Archael Member Posts: 814

All qol that reduce gap between soloq and swf are welcome by me. I was already posting suggestion of making kindred basekit.

Especially that we have anti facecamp mechanics that won't work if surv is going for save when killer is near the hook

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,043
    edited July 15

For the record, aura is stronger than comms because the information it gives is more precise than what people can usually call out - it requires four people with thorough knowledge of every map to be able to accurately communicate their locations and where they're heading to be able to equal Bond or Kindred.

But at the same time, general location of teammates is definitely one of those solo-SWF gaps, and it's one that hasn't already been addressed like Kindred has (others that need address, imo, are chat wheel/being able to call out your intentions, shared map knowledge re: traps and totems, and knowledge of each other's perks.)

I think my main fear regarding basekit Bond is that there's another difference between solo and SWF players that no amount of basekit buffs will ever change. SWF players are a team that like each other, and when they do sandbag, it's usually playful. Solos are a mixed bag. Most players want to help their team and play well, but you also get players who are selfish or just stupid and will use Bond's information to do the exact same thing that it's meant to avoid - dump the killer on their teammates on gens so that they can get away, at the expense of their teammates' lives and the survivor objective being able to progress. And I think this would be especially bad in low MMR, in the area before survivors have developed any game sense, but selfish players will always be an issue. Which isn't a reason not to do it, but I don't think it would solve the underlying problem as much as people think it would. Part of the issue with solo is always going to be that the players simply don't have the same goals.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,889
    edited July 15

I can't objectively argue against basekit Kindred, it makes sense as SWF is a thing.

However subjectively I actually prefer the dynamic of solo Q and the imperfect knowledge without perk investment of DBD, and would be against basekit Kindred.

I enjoy the challenge of trying to survive without the perfect knowledge of what my team are doing, and instead relying on my intuition and common sense, in conjunction with paying careful attention to the HUD to figure out what people are doing. I also like that being altruistic and helping my team with kindred is my decision to make at the cost of being able to take more selfish perks, rather than granted for free.

Ultimately I actually consider it to be a more genuine horror experience in SoloQ, I still get spooked from time to time when I get caught off guard, and I still get anxious when I dont see the killer chasing anyone and dont know where they've gone. I tend to find SWF is more about trolling the killer and goofing off, even if that isn't your goal, it makes the atmosphere so much more chill, so its kinda hard not to clown around. I personally think I'd like the game much more if SWF wasn't a thing, though I understand why it is, and that I'm a minority.

So... SWF is a thing and most people seem to hate soloQ, so I guess my personal opinion loses in this arena. 😒

• VomitMommy

I still would like to see simply chat wheel option for players.

That is big improvement, but mostly in hands of players rather than game giving full information for free.