The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Survivor Just Isn't Fun Anymore

kosaba11
kosaba11 Member Posts: 118
edited July 18 in Feedback and Suggestions

This is just a rant thread.

Ahem -

I used to like playing both Survivor and Killer, but lately… it just hasn't been fun to be a survivor. Barring the obvious toxic play styles, you really can't tell how OP a killer is until you've faced them several times as a survivor. And boy, does it like putting me in matches against the worst of the bunch. And even if I'm put against a killer I like facing, it spawns me basically next to them. Make no mistake, I never give up, at least not until I'm the final two and dead on hook - at least then my death can maybe get the last survivor the hatch - but still. It's just not fun anymore.

I'd offer suggestions to fix the experience, but to be frank? No one, especially killer mains, would like them. And it's not like BHVR cares, they've already made this game so unbelievably killer sided.

Post edited by EQWashu on

Comments

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,132

Just find what enjoyment you can, that's all I can say.

^ This. I take joy in playing the lute. I don't even care if the perk's broken, I love my lute.

• Neaxolotl
    Neaxolotl Member Posts: 1,477

Killers have barely higher kill rates, which hardly affects how "OP" they are since the difference is so little

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,849

"Fun" is completely subjective, so this is just an opinion piece/rant for certain.

Sometimes I have 'fun' as survivor, other times I am not having fun so I stop playing DBD, sometimes I stop playing for many months on end.

If you personally are not having fun then stop playing and come back later if you feel like it.

• Langweilg
    Langweilg Member Posts: 777

My main problem why I think the game is unfun/unfair for survivors are maps. All newer/reworked maps are just garbage for survivors and easy mode as killer, which makes playing survivor only frustrating and playing killer (which I play far more) boring.

Then they always gutt fun/cool perks/killers and make them useless. I want them to give both sides cool/strong/useful stuff, but since a year we did not really get anything cool besides MFT/UW/Chucky (which got all nuked) and we still have the Vecna perk (which will get nuked soon).

I‘m frustrated that they make both sides constantly less fun and I hate the word „rework“ by now, because besides Billy they didn‘t do any good rework. I miss sadako’s first version so badly, but the devs will probably never return her.

• Chiky
    Chiky Member Posts: 732

it's never been fun, it's the most boring thing ever, the gens are a joke because of how easy they are to do

• Neaxolotl
    Neaxolotl Member Posts: 1,477
    edited July 18

60% killrates only confirms they won't be underdog and doesn't make them "baby easy" at all, because survivors have 4x more chances to throw a match 50% kill rate doesn't mean fair game

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,062

It's all about getting good teammates. The devs haven't prioritized that. Their strategy is to buff solo so that bad survivors can win. That's why they're your teammates so often.

• kosaba11

Again, if you're a killer main, it's easy to say certain killers are bad - but the experience is far different as a survivor. I've had plenty of matches against all of the killers I've mentioned - none of them are weak. Now, maybe I was just getting people who main those killers, and I will relent that people who main a killer or character, in any game, will make the character seem overpowered. However, the chances that, every single time I've face one of those killers, that I was facing a pro is unlikely and yet each time was a difficult experience.

Michael, admittedly, is the easiest of the bunch to face. However, I call him overpowered because of his add-on that allows him to insta-kill survivors, regardless of hook status. How exactly is that fair?

Bubba's insta-down move can really only be avoided by pallets or windows, and if, say, you're in an in-door map, avoiding it is all but impossible, barring the Bubba just sucking. It's easier in an out-door map, yes, but "easier" doesn't mean "easy" in this case.

Ghostface has the issue of having the insta-down move, along with the added issue of being faster than most of the other killers. Don't get me wrong, he's fun to face - depending on who is playing him - but that doesn't negate his power.

Sadako falls under the issue of being able to insta-kill you even without an add-on. Now, yes, it comes down to user error more than power, but the fact she can insta-kill without hooking you is, itself, the problem. Killers should not be able to kill you without at least hooking you once.

As for Billy - he's really not that hard to play. I will admit the aiming of his chainsaw takes practice, but unless you're a slow learner, it's really not hard.

• bleep275
    bleep275 Member Posts: 227

it’s the camping and tunneling for me. Killer is great, rarely do I ever come across toxicity. But as survivor….it’s unbearable. Hell I just had an oni face camp this guy he got off the hook twice for free. Survivor is just hoping you don’t get found first so you can actually play the game instead of get camped/tunneled out of the match. I used to play frequently with friends to goof off in swf. But it’s gotten so severe we get like 3 matches in till everyone gives up and stops playing.

BUFF THAT FACECAMP METER ALREADY

• kosaba11

Oh, I hate Blight. I don't think I've ever managed to escape a match when the killer is Blight.

Nurse, though? I don't get the hype. Maybe I've just gotten lucky, but Nurse usually isn't that hard to face, in my personal experience.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,062

No, you're straight-up wrong. I've never had to sweat as hard with killer for so little as I am now. Fighting tooth and nail every match, and for what? Mostly draws. A 4k is a rare treat indeed. I feel punished for playing multiple killers, or playing certain killers, instead of Nurse/Blight every time. Don't try to back up your "killer sided game" idea with math. Given a decent survivor team, killer loses 2 gens in the first chase. Whether he tunnels or not, the next 2 will quickly follow. And then fight to protect the last 1 or don't, it's inevitably popping as well, even with an "unstoppable 3-gen." People act like as soon as 1 survivor dies, or the killer gets a 3-gen, the game is over. That is so not the case. You don't even recognize the free stuff survivor gets like wiggling or hatch, because both lead to free escapes. Just because they don't work 100% of the time doesn't make them killer sided. If the killer downs you, he should be able to hook you. If the killer beats you, he should kill you. Neither of these scenarios happen 100% of the time either, despite theory, so at least be grateful for the exceptions.

• Gandor
    Gandor Member Posts: 4,257

And it means nothing. DEVS WANT killers to win 50% more then survivors (40% escape rate vs 60% → that's 150% the chance survivor gets). No matter what tools or what you want to consider - the result is pretty clear. Devs take favorites and love killers 50% more then survivors.

(and yes, we can go thru all the changes step by step - but that's just stand-in for the real issue here and the final result is just undeniable. They got their favorite's side 60% kill rate)

• kosaba11

Sounds like you're just a bad killer, to be honest.

Wiggling doesn't accomplish anything unless the killer is bad.

If the killer reaches the hatch first, which, barring you getting lucky, happens more often than not, you lose. Unless the killer is bad.

Only killer mains think the game isn't killer sided - but I play both pretty frequently, and I can say, with 100% certainty, that it is. If you want a full breakdown, I'll give you a breakdown.

Certain killers - like Michael, Ghostface, Leatherface, and Billy - have the ability to down you in one hit. Obviously, the counter is to not get hit, but that tends to be difficult when the map is either in-doors or ridiculously small.

Certain killers - like Michael and Sadako - can kill you without hooking you twice. Yes, Michael needs an add-on, but that doesn't negate that he can do so.

Certain killers - like Blight or Legion - are way faster than even the other killers, despite killers already being faster than the survivor.

It takes less time to knock someone than it does to finish a gen, especially if you're doing the gen solo. It takes 90 seconds to finish a gen, but it really only takes 10 of those seconds to down someone - again, unless you're just a bad killer or you're facing a really good survivor.

Killers have perks that straight up negate what the survivors can do. Some perks block generators, some block the windows and pallets, one blocks the exit gate, one makes it to where flashlights are useless, etc. Not to mention the large amount of aura reading perks that allow the killer to see where you are. Yes, survivors have aura reading perks, but perks for the killers tend to be more useful.

Any killer can be strong in the right hands - but the same can't be said for survivors. The learning curve is much higher.

If you want to pretend that the devs don't have a bias towards killers, that's fine. That doesn't change reality.

• Ohyakno
    Ohyakno Member Posts: 991
    edited July 20

They don't have favorites. The devs are not out to get you. They just make the game how they want.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,082

the comment would be:

5% regression per kick

Removed gen tapping

Added +10 charges to generators

• Gandor

They don't have favorites? So they actually changed balancing and go for fair 50% escape rate?

Oh they don't. So in fact they do have favorites

• Ohyakno
    Ohyakno Member Posts: 991

You can be as breathlessly angry about this fictional injustice as you want, but logic doesn't bear it out.

Employ a little deductive reasoning. The game consists mostly of survivors. That's factual, game doesn't work without most players at any given time being survivors. There's a contingent of people that only play this or that side, of which there are naturally more survivors than killers due to the inherent population imbalance.

Following?

Most of the money the game makes comes from selling cosmetics. You want to be selling your product to the largest number of people possible. That's survivors because they are the majority of people playing your game.

In light of behavior interactive wanting to pay their employees and continue existence as a corporate entity, why would they ever, ever do something as petty and stupid as pick sides in the video game they make? Your image of devs in a room twirling their mustaches and playing favorites because they are out to get you is absurd. Comical. They gave you the kill rate data and statements you're so fixated on. Why would they publish that if it illustrated some ridiculous bias? Think about it. There's no emotional component, it's just game development.

• VomitMommy
    VomitMommy Member Posts: 2,259

My issues are usually teammates in soloQ, not really the killer.

I have no issues when we play SWF.

• kosaba11

Way to miss the point. Killers don't have to go the same speed as survivors, but the point is that they are faster - it's one of their strengths - with some killers being even faster than the others. Which is the main point of that tidbit - that killers are already faster than survivors, and yet there are killers who even faster than that.

• VomitMommy
    VomitMommy Member Posts: 2,259
    edited July 21

Well, thing is killer has to be faster than survivors. Otherwise game simply can't work.

While killers who are even faster has some limitation or requirement to balance.

There is no killer who would be simply basic M1 killer, but faster no matter what.

It doesn't mean they are broken, just because they are faster.

• Gandor

Don't try to play on logic, because there were so many illogical things devs did, that logic is bad argument (like legion being able to M2 you to death, 7 blink nurse, BNP doing 100% gen and so on).

The fact is still clear. If you in PVP game decide one side should have inherent advantage and just win more, then it's taking favoritism. If there's a nuance to this, then do something about it. But just handing out free wins to one side "to have 150% better results" just is taking favoritism.

Also if your argument about making the game better for survivors - because 4 players and more skins and so on was correct, then the actual kill rate would be more like 40% instead of 60%, to actually have 4 gamers enjoy the game more then just 1 player (don't take me wrong - this is still unfair towards killer the same way as current state is unfair towards survivor, but it maximizes the enjoyment level toward player base as whole - mathematically speaking it would actually even out at 80% escape rate (corresponding to 4vs1, but maths alone does not compute, because the game would be too easy/boring even for winning's side))

Ah right. Because if both sided won the same amount, then that would be actually unfair. Like ######### is that logic? THE END RESULT "you win" vs "you loose" in exactly precise MMR (now I ignore some caveats like nurse dropping kill rate because learning curve, or Billy right after buffs having higher kill rate because his MMR did not stabilize yet) which means that you play vs exactly as skilled people as you are should always be 50%.

By what convoluted logic did you come to the outcome, that it's fair if one side wins more? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

• Ashy__Slashy3
    Ashy__Slashy3 Member Posts: 18

I've actually been enjoying survivor more lately. Pub and with friends. Only time matches suck are against nurse, trickster, & Oni players because I don't like those killers when I'm playing against them. I struggle 😔

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,235

60% killrate isnt 60% killer win rate...