The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Can we as players can we all agree on one thing.

Ryan489x
Ryan489x Member Posts: 1,467

the entity’s powers can just be summed up as

“Because Reasons”

I’ve noticed that whenever someone asks a question there’s a long response that comes down to pretty much that

Comments

• dbd900bach
    dbd900bach Member Posts: 671

Not really sure what you mean? The Entities reasons have been made pretty clear. Suffering, death and fear are what the Enitity feeds onso it made this endless cat and mouse game to farm it's food.

More survivors mean more despair and more killers means more farmers to get said despair for the Entity.

• ChaosWam
    ChaosWam Member Posts: 1,763

I mean, that's kind of the territory with eldrich horrors, right?

• ArkInk
    ArkInk Member Posts: 653

Well, yeah. The Entity is a cosmic horror in the most pure sense imaginable, its scope of power is beyond the grasp of the mortal mind and all that.

Generally speaking, whatever she wants, she gets.

• kosaba11
    kosaba11 Member Posts: 118

That's what happens when you decide to use a cosmic entity as your main villain. 99% of writers who use cosmic villains don't really have a rule set for their abilities, they just decide "Well, it's a cosmic horror, it do whatever I want because humans don't comprehend its full power". Frankly, that's a lazy way to write.

The real question, however, is how we're expected to believe that many of the crossover survivors wouldn't be fighting back, and winning, against the killers. Like, the Resident Evil gang, for example, handle far worse than Nemesis and Wesker every game, yet I'm supposed to be believe, even without a weapon, they would lose to a K-Pop singer or guy with a machete? C'mon. I know it's a case of suspending your belief, and for a game where survivors are just cosmetics, it's not that big a deal, but in the context of the story, it doesn't make any sense.

• Caiman
    Caiman Member Posts: 2,573

I have never taken DbD's lore seriously, at least as far as The Entity is concerned. The whole thing about trials and loops and interdimensional demons… I always thought it was silly and unnecessary. It's the individual characters who are the interesting pieces of writing (usually).

But yes, "Because the Entity says so" is the shorthand explanation for anything and everything in this game, including why these action hero survivors can't even throw a punch against a bunch of edgy teenagers.

• Rulebreaker
    Rulebreaker Member Posts: 1,826

But but but we neeeeeeeeed our entertainment why deny us

• Vasyazx
    Vasyazx Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 19

Well before criticize lore you could at least read it.Entity fully reconstruct survivors and killers from scratch once they taken into its realm they so they are basically toys that are bound to follow entites rules and even deities like Vecna forced to play by rules due their bargain with entity so do you really expect humans to really be able to break them and fight back killers ?

• Vasyazx
  • kosaba11
    kosaba11 Member Posts: 118

It really does not take much to fight back against a killer, even if the Entity doesn't want you to. We've seen, in the lore itself, people actively go against the Entity while in the realm. There was no "bargain with the Entity" in the case of Vecna, his entire lore page is about him deciding to go along with being taken so he could take the Entity's power for himself.

Let's be real, the lore does not support the idea that the Entity is an all knowing, all powerful deity - all it does is support is that people can't leave its realm. Every backstory, and yes, I've read the lore - it's my favorite part of any game - does not mention people being "reconstructed from scratch," they're simply taken and killed, over and over again. In fact, in the lore, it's stated that survivors can attack each other, like when they drowned one of their fellow survivors in mud just because he wouldn't stop screaming. If they can attack each other, they can fight back against the killers.

The only reason we can't is for gameplay reasons and gameplay reasons only. There is nothing in the lore to support that survivors couldn't fight back.

• Caiman
    Caiman Member Posts: 2,573

The Entity is extremely powerful, but I would hardly call it smart. It's like a child collecting toys and smacking them together. "Almighty idiot" is a phrase that comes to mind.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,891

I enjoyed that thought 😅

I like to avoid looking into it too closely, and think of the Entity's motivations as having that "trying to explain colour to a blind man" thing going on... where we have no real point of common reference to understand what it's doing, so its kind of a fruitless endeavour 😁

• Vasyazx

A sick curiosity overcoming him, he dropped his concentration, and let the fog take him. Whatever it was, wherever it was, he understood that the only way to harness it was to submit to it. He knew, in his cold, unbeating heart, that its dark secrets would one day be his.

Vecna is specifically submit to fog so he is forced to play by rules due presence of mark on him he plans to break free obviously but currently he is on leash.
    Another prominent example of entity power is Alan wake( and Mr. Scratch ) who despite being strong Reallity warper and not trapped within the realm cannot do anything about Trials themselves

Survivors are entity crops they generate food for it via their emotions so they can do anything that help them to generate that food even if it means murdering each other or even killers but in most macthes killers are obviously empowered by entity to overcome even most powerful survivors

There were two chracters seems to chance to oppose entity Talbot and observer but they both were dunked by it pretty easily with Talbot becoming killer and observer losing his main tool Auris

If you still doubt entity power here quote from archives:

There are things of the Abyss that are left unexplored and undiscovered. Things beyond our understanding. For to see or hear or try to comprehend them is to lose one's grip on reality and plunge into a fathomless pit of madness.

Of The Entity I know little, if anything at all. What I have witnessed and concluded through my imprisonment within its timeless living boundaries, is The Entity seems to move through the cosmos like a primordial Titan. An incomprehensible Serpent of Chaos, consuming people and worlds for reasons I cannot even begin to comprehend... and won't even try.

Fate. What is fate, but a series of moments and choices that define our lives? Roses we want to remember? And thorns we can never forget?

Futile as the thought experiment is, I sometimes wonder where I would be had I made different choices. I sometimes wonder, if I had not been interested in Celestials, would I have even noticed The Entity?

Had I not witnessed the destruction of an entire world, would I have wanted to know more? Had I not gone against The council, would I have been banished within the very thing I'd tried to destroy?

There is a moment in all of our lives, when our choices catch up to us. A moment that changes us forever. A moment... of reckoning!

• Vasyazx

Well i disagree because Entity manipulated countless people from various timelines and those who thought that they can outsmart it and use it power for own needs were heavily punished for their insolence main example being Observer ,Otto and Talbot

• HaunterofShadows
    HaunterofShadows Member Posts: 4,092

That tends to happen when you make your overarching antagonist a God in every possible definition of the word.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,062

Like being in a survivor perk that blocks generators so the killer can't kick it? Yeah, pretty much.