The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Invert X-Axis Option, please?

It's so strange to me, as long as DBD's been going, an invert x-axis option has never been added despite there being an invert y-axis option. I would really really REALLY like to see it added in a future update. Surely it wouldn't be too hard to implement?

I play on PC, so I've thankfully been able to get around it with PC controller mapping shenanigans, but it'd be nice if I didn't have to do it manually, and also to be able to potentially play on console with that preferred setting being available in game.

Comments

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,892

As an inverted Y-axis enjoyer... fair play...

But I have to ask... why on earth did you start playing games with inverted X-axis? What game was it that started you off on that journey? 😅

For me the first real console FPS I played was Timesplitters 2, which was inverted by default (I think... it might have been my mates settings, but I am reasonably sure it was default)... but because of that, it's just a staple of my controls... and at least it makes sense if you consider flight sim controls...

But inverse X... What the heck is your story? xD

• ghostfaceismywaifu
    ghostfaceismywaifu Member Posts: 16
    edited July 23

timesplitters mention!!! (never played it myself but I'm familiar with it because I've done a few art commissions of a character from it ahaha)

Honestly I have a hard time remembering .. I think there may have been some games in my childhood that had that setting by default? Stuff where the camera is third person because the camera has more of an effect of moving around the character than being literally where the character is supposed to be looking. And the muscle memory of that really sticks. I WANT to say maybe 3D Sonic games were like that? Though I'm not 100% sure my memory serves. (edit: oh, Super Mario 64 was one of those kinds of games with an inverted x-axis! That would definitely have been one to influence me. Can't remember if subsequent 3D Mario games with like that, ie Sunshine, but there's a good chance they were!)

There's also just something about non-inverted x-axis cameras that have a tendency to give me motion sickness until I REALLY get used to them. I can't really say why..? But I'm someone who has several motion sickness triggers in video games (like issues with eyestrain and strobing and such) so who knows, brains are weird.

When I first booted up DBD, the motion sickness hit me hard and I was like, well I'm on PC, screw having to just cope with it lol

STRANGELY ENOUGH… I don't play with the y-axis inverted. I have no explanation for that. Again, it might be cases where games I used to play might have just been like that! But y-axis being inverted or not is also, for whatever reason, easier to adjust to between games.

• UndeddJester

Fascinating, well it's a pleasure to meet a invert x-player... I thought you guys were an urban legend, something devs were forced to implement for the sake of being anal and having menu consistency.... xD

Interesting the motion sickness issue. I know that motion sickness is often caused a mismatch between what your inner ear detects and what your eyes see causing your brain to get confused. It thinks the only explanation for this mismatch must be you've been poisoned, so it makes you sick.

I guess that then makes sense that if your brain has an easier time resolving the movement of the camera and reduce its cognitive load, that does make sense.to reduce your symptoms.

I've only ever had this issue in cars, but rarely in aircraft or ships... though Quake and Doom sliding around used to mess me up pretty bad. I know guys who like to remove the motion sway in games... but it helps my brain resolve what's happening faaaaar easier 😁

Aaaah the Mario games… Fair play!

• ghostfaceismywaifu
    ghostfaceismywaifu Member Posts: 16

Ahahaha we exist! I never even realized we were an enigma the whole time until seeing how few people ask for an x axis invert in games like this! For so long, I thought it was the NORMAL way to play!

I decided to boot up DBD in tutorial mode and sort of analyze what I think my brain is actually doing to process it. For context I'm using a Logitech controller with a left and right analog stick. So, I'm looking at Dwight in 3D space. My left thumb is controlling his movements in direct relation to the space. Pushing up he walks forward, pulling back he turns toward the camera and walks towards me. Pushing left he walks left, and pushing right he walks right. I think that's how most people experience that part.

But what I THINK other people experience with their right thumb (or however they're controlling the x axis/camera), they are controlling where the character is literally looking. Correct me if I'm wrong on it, but it seems to be that if you push left on the right analog stick, you want Dwight to look right, and pushing left, you want him to look left, and so on. Or maybe it's simply your own eyes even in third person—you're pushing the stick in the direction you want to be looking.

In my experience, that control is not corresponding to where the character is looking or where I, the viewer, desire to look. What I am controlling is the actual, 3D environment as though I'm spinning it like a disc.

So here's the neutral position

Imagine Dwight is the center circle of a CD that is spinning. My left hand is controlling where the center of that CD is going, while my right hand is controlling whether that CD spins clockwise or counter clockwise.

If I want to see what's to the LEFT of Dwight, I want environment to move clockwise. The message my brain tells my thumb is that I need to direct the stick in the direction I want the CD to spin, NOT the direction I want to see.

So here, the red arrow (the direction I am controlling) is the the scenery I want to be rotated OUT, and the yellow arrow is what I want to be rotated IN.

Likewise, if I want to see what's to the RIGHT of Dwight, I want the scenery to move counter clockwise. My brain says, push the stick in the opposite direction, we want the CD to spin left so we can see what's on the right.

As for the y-axis… a CD doesn't move up or down. Those directions are very literal to me—if I want to see what's above I push the stick up, and if I want to see what's below I push the stick down. (I was never a player of flight simulators, but I absolutely understand why inverting the y-axis makes sense for those who have!)

Motion sickness can be such a strange phenomenon really. I experience it in real life from actual spinning, and I'm quite sensitive to it in that I can't handle some carnival rides that spin without getting so dizzy I'll fall down. But I'm also one of those people that, for some reason, visual things that have nothing to do the sounds/ears aspect can trigger that dizziness, like watching certain things spin. I think you're right in that it has to do with cognitive load in some way..! Like y'know how some people will get headaches from looking at certain optical illusions for too long? For what it's worth, I'm also autistic and suffer from sensory overload frequently! Both sound and vision can be triggers for that, but sometimes even being overwhelmed with information I'm trying to process (like reading something very difficult to understand in a room where there are distracting things)

Anyway I digress, I suppose it could be all sorts of things! It was interesting to consider your thoughts about it because it had me pondering it a bit myself, hence the explanation I decided to give :> I hope it's insightful in some way!

• UndeddJester

It's actually fun to think about, cause invert Y is also not common, and I suppose the difference between ourselves and "normal" users is that they are basically pushing the stick the direction their eyes want to move.

I suppose myself I think of it more where my head has to move. Left and right stay the same, to look left my head has to turn left. For up and down however my head has to go backwards and to look down it has to go forwards. If you watch the survivors head specifically inverse Y mirrors on the controller where the survivors head goes.

I mostly understand, visualising it as an x rotation of the camera around the player makes sense... Although that comparison breaks when it comes to a normal y-axis... and being I'm not normal Y anyway... that really breaks my brain... We're literally polar opposites xD

That's quite the list though, and tbf we recently got the FOV improvement for killers in relation to dealing with motion sickness... decent shout it gets, added especially if one can frame it in that context...

Hopefully the feature gets added soon! 😁🤘