The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Did we just forget what Scott Cawthon did?

KillerKittens17
KillerKittens17 Member Posts: 28
edited August 6 in General Discussions

I get the FNAF is super popular, but Scott has openly admitted to donating to anti LGBTQ organizations and still has full creative rights over the franchise. Like for a development community to support and collaborate with someone like that is super disappointing. Especially since y'all have been so supportive of the queer community.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Cawthon#:~:text=Days%20later%2C%20Cawthon%20announced%20his,has%20exclusive%20rights%20over%20it.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• KillerKittens17

oh that's why I posted the wikipedia link lol. Just above the highlighted sections is where his donations were made public via a doxing incident

• KillerKittens17

this is a good point. From what I can tell it's more the fact that those politicians are very anti-lgbtq

• Yggleif
    Yggleif Member Posts: 170

NGL the only donation to a Democrat being Tulsi Gabbard is so funny considering where she wound up.

Also everything I've read makes me think Scott is indifferent to LGBTQ people and his main issue is abortion which his position is still abhorrent but I have a feeling people wouldn't be making the same uproar of that was actually the focus.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 5,392

I will say it's very hypocritical, but we all know money talks at the end of the day. I'll bet there's very few people who could look at a huge amount of incoming cash and not drop their values in exchange. It wasn't that long ago that a content creator was dropped from a certain program for (accidentally, apparently) liking an anti-lgbtq post on their YT video. It's very easy to take a stand when you have nothing to lose. In this case, BHVR stand to gain alot.

• Phantom_
    Phantom_ Member Posts: 1,327

People have been cancelling others for decades, even Richard Prior had a whole segment on it in one of his shows. Fact of the matter is, people have multiple ways of showing whether they support something or not.

To me this comes across as a decision made by the corporate part of BHVR and not so much the DBD devs, but I could be wrong. Business is business and all that nonsense ig. I personally will keep playing DBD, but Bhvr is no longer getting ANY of my money, and it is a big loss for them because I did spend it on this game a lot. HF making more corporate-sided decisions I'd say 🤡

• DredgeyEdgey
    DredgeyEdgey Member Posts: 1,373

Yeah. I was worried I was gonna have to post that link here honestly this video helps understand so much

• Neaxolotl
    Neaxolotl Member Posts: 1,477

Honestly, picking business over belief looks as if money is all that matters

Not that I have any personal feeling around anything of this, but still

• eisenbuns
    eisenbuns Member Posts: 99

I really don't think it's too much to ask for a company not to collab with someone who will pass that money on to entities that want to strip our rights. But if I'm taking notes correctly:

Supporting anti-LGBT causes and inadvertently donating to those causes is okay as long as it promotes my business. Got it.

• KateMain86
    KateMain86 Member Posts: 2,374

Beliefs don't keep the lights on and the servers up at BHVR. Money does.

• Neaxolotl
    edited August 6

I hardly believe BHVR is having problem with money though, not unless they made catastrophic mistake in making other bigger games and failing at it

If the stance is all about money that's fine, losing trust for those kind of act is extremely predictable too

Also it's not like you are any kind of actual employee of BHVR anyway

• HaunterofShadows
    HaunterofShadows Member Posts: 4,092
    edited August 6

That was actually my fault for misinterpreting what you said. I thought you were just talking about fnaf fans. Now that I'm more understanding, ignore what I said. My apologies

• Neaxolotl
    edited August 6

Not sure if that's a dogwhistles tbh, "it will never be enough for them!" seems to me nothing but a rather aggressive and taunting attitude, It is quite an antagonistic way to argue and which is really obvious for anyone reading it

• IIITweedleIII
    IIITweedleIII Member Posts: 934

Here's a Thought...

Don't want FNaF ? Don't buy the DLC.

DC right out if SpringTrap is the Killer in YOUR trial.

Let your politics be your issue.

Let others enjoy their game.

That really too much to ask?

You don't have to play A Game.

You won't make others stop playing A Game they paid money on.

• KateMain86
    KateMain86 Member Posts: 2,374

I've said this before on another issue like this. It was a long time ago so I don't remember exactly what the situation was but I remember it being related to lgbt and people complaining about it. I basically stated how the criticism wasn't fair, which is the same way I feel about this. BHVR has gone out of their way to show a lot of support to the lgbt community and I feel like these emotionally charged criticisms are unfair to them.

• Yggleif
    Yggleif Member Posts: 170

I totally get the idea of Scott being insensitive to the LGBTQ community by way of his political donations and that's a fair criticism to make of him but to actively say Scott hates the LGBTQ community well…..I'm not sure how many people like that donate $50k to the Trevor Project. I do think this issue is much much more complicated than people make it out to be but in the age of social media people have trouble with nuance. I don't agree with Scott's political positions but he's not a demon for not agreeing with me or you politically and there's every chance the money he does get from this will wind up at a charity like the Trevor Project or St. Judes, is it possible it goes to a republican PAC instead? Of course but it wouldn't be the first time my money goes to something I don't support like every war and military intervention we've been in since I started working and paying taxes. At the end of the day it's totally understandable if someone doesn't want to give money to Scott but demonizing BHVR or people who do want to buy the chapter goes way too far IMO.

This discussion has been closed.