The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

New Scratch Mark Update:

Comments

• Paternalpark
    Paternalpark Member Posts: 626

Like how fast vaults were bugged forever and then when it was resolved, Killer Mains had an outcry.

Thanks man. Here I was running at 3/4 speed thinking I'm 007.

• Princesse_nico
    Princesse_nico Member Posts: 138
    edited August 5

I prefer lights out , no scratch marks

• CrackedShevaMain
    CrackedShevaMain Member Posts: 408

I’m sure it’ll be fine. Everyone will just start running boon shadow step and/or lightweight.

• Rumplestiltskin
    Rumplestiltskin Member Posts: 138

Because it isn't a buff? :) Killers that use scratch marks to track can see them NOW. Having them brighter will lessen eye strain but it doesn't mean some Killers will be like, "huh what are these… I've never seen these before." Do you get my point? In short, you either see them or you don't. Seeing them without going bug-eyed is just a courtesy.

If you are suggesting that Killers will be less likely to lose the trail as they rush along behind it, I'd have to say that you are exaggerating the effect. This might help NEW Killer players a bit, but seasoned Killers don't lose that trail. The only effect this change is going to have on the game is training wheels for new Killers while they learn to backtrail a running survivor. If you are concerned about it, there is Perk for you that will make your scratch marks fade quicker. :)

• For_The_People
    For_The_People Member Posts: 519
    edited August 6

yes I have to say for a bush trimmer, grass counter and crate and barrel inspector like me, this is very worrying and will get in the way of my hard work! 😅

🌳🌱|´-`)🌱🌱

📦🛢️(・∀|📦

Edit: just kidding by the way - I’m happy for the changes, I don’t actually hide all match lol

Post edited by For_The_People on
  • Rick1998
    Rick1998 Member Posts: 206

good . With the extra hook time killers will need to be in chase after chase . Hising while 2 survivors get hooked back to back to back is how you loose. Leave that bush in the corner and take agro for once. Might be what gets your team the win.

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,811

It won’t be. If anything, it’ll lead to a 3v1 at 4-5 gens. If you’re an unconfident looper, you looping is a liability for your team.

• AnchorTea
    AnchorTea Member Posts: 1,019

As a colorblind person this update helps me as a killer. The existing accessibility settings ren't helpful enough to let me see

• Paternalpark

It also helps surivors, to track/consider their own or their tm scratchmarks, that are colorblind.

Accessibility options are highly appreciated by the community no doubt.

Thanks for the reply. So more white then bright red, higher contrast against dark maps then.

Like having a neon sign flicker dimly in the distance with a dark backdrop, it's there and it just caught my eye, now brighter I can see it clearly.

Same with scratch marks now. If that's not a tracking buff idk what is.

I'll definitely be taking advantage of this if it looks as I expect it to. If it's too ugly I'll move to console.

• Rick1998
    Rick1998 Member Posts: 206

last 20 seconds in chase that fine . With the time for you to get hooked thats a solid 30 seconds minimun for the other 3 to do gens. Getting 0 hook states until half your team is dead is activelly thowing the match.

• baharuto48
    baharuto48 Member Posts: 110

Scratch marks more visible. Yes. But killers only see generated aura within 16 meters. lol

• CosmicScarab
    CosmicScarab Member Posts: 135

On the topic of colourblind accessibility, do you think it would be possible to ever allow people to change the colours of certain things in the game/UI such as individual auras for better colourblind accessibility? Overwatch has something like this where you can change UI element colours and it makes the game much more readable as a result.

• Rumplestiltskin
    Rumplestiltskin Member Posts: 138

Thank you. That puts it to rest. As I and others said earlier, if you are concerned about scratch marks, don't run everywhere.

• VantablackPharaoh91
    VantablackPharaoh91 Member Posts: 584

They really badly needed to be fixed. There are multiple perks that hide, eliminate, or reduce duration of scratch marks for certain conditions. There's also just… not running.

Killers are supposed to track and chase Survivors. You're not supposed to be able to hide all round from the Killer indefinitely by having such faded scratch marks the Killer can't find you. That's not healthy nor the natural flow of the game, it's as unnatural as facecamping a hook or holding a three gen indefinitely was. We don't want or need to have games where Survivors can't be found all round, nor Killers aren't chasing.

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,811
    edited August 7

I mean it’s an inadvertent buff… the same way the UI hud was both a buff and a QoL change. I don’t personally believe there’s anything wrong with this (I remember scratch marks used to be pretty consistent and bright, then they changed during a patch but I don’t recall it ever being stated why). But it’s certainly going to help killers track better.

This isn’t directed at you but I find it curious how a dev would imply that survivors should take specific actions to remain stealthy while game-wise the devs are consistently releasing aura-perks for killers and, at least from what we might assume about the upcoming change to Distortion, finding ways to inhibit the counterplay. In short, devs want survivors to have stealth as an optional playstyle but are eliminating stealth as an optional playstyle. It’s so odd.

• Tipsy
    Tipsy Member Posts: 42

All they did was making them brighter, which is good for ppl who have hard time seeing them. Which one of the main reason ppl use filters. Personally I cant see scratch marks at all on Ormand. If you think this effects stealth, it doesnt.

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,649

If that is the intention of scratch marks, then why do survivors get free stealth when they run around the swamp map?

The swamp is filled with thick grass, and scratch marks can’t appear on the thick grass, and instead get hidden on the ground, underneath the grass. In fact, any object that lacks collision can’t have scratch marks show up on them.

Other maps, like the farm maps, can have large areas of grass, and it’s difficult to see scratch marks there too.

• Paternalpark

I play as family in TCM. I get by without my hand being held, thanks.

• VantablackPharaoh91

This is very likely why Swamp will be reworked @Coffeecrashing, and @Peanits that needs to, NEEDS TO be the Dev's next map priority. Period, enough waiting, there is no excuse for it taking this long. Fix Swamp, both maps are awful. We need updates on this.

@Paternalpark, Family in TCM is nothing like Killer in DBD. Please answer the question that Neaxolotl asked and don't move goalposts: Have you ever played a round as Killer in Dead by Daylight? Have you played enough to get good Survivors?

• Paternalpark

500hrs roughly spread across platforms. After having 50 killstreak I ended up getting better survivors. 4500hrs survivor.

I go where the BP bonus goes.

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,475

If you don't want to killer to see your scratch marks, walk or crouch, that's literally what they're there for. Or use one of the multiple perks that can hide your scratch marks.

• VantablackPharaoh91
    edited August 7

500 hours is pretty new to the game still as either role, most decent players range in the thousands of hours. You should know that as a 4500 hour Survivor main. I have 1500 myself mainly as Killer, and still consider myself pretty baby, as would most people around my time.

But you do unintentionally point out something - after about 500 hours, you've already hit the softcap and you have only been playing the equivalent of about half a year. Is it really fair for people who are still new and learning game intricacies to hit the softcap this easily?

• Paternalpark

I play killer once every 10 matches. Even if I play the other role mostly doesn't mean I can't tell what's going on.

I also watch too much dbd related content. I find killer is far more enjoyable to watch, as do most, you would know.

• VantablackPharaoh91
    edited August 7

I most certainly would know, as I have a Youtube channel. As of my last count, I have around 100+ vids of me playing Survivor, and +60 of me as various Killers. If this was a subtle jab at me being "a Killer Main" just because I have more hours as Killer and despite playing more Survivor as of late, it was a failed one. Also I think you must be well aware that watching a bunch of DBD content doesn't make you good at the game, it just means you have more idea of how the game is played. You need to put it into practice or the skill does not translate.

And none of this, utterly none, has anything to do with me wanting the game to be more balanced. That's not a "Killer Main" thing, that's a "I play DBD and want the game to be fun" thing, but unfortunately it seems you've read around that part in both threads you keep pinging me in despite my desperate attempts to clarify your misunderstanding.

Post edited by EQWashu on
  • Paternalpark
    edited August 7

Didn't you assume I was playing survivor exclusively? Wasn't that a "subtle jab" at me being a surivor main?

I'm not trying to get the last word, I'm replying to your rather pushy messages.

The purpose of game forums are to discuss gameplay balance, give feedback and speculate.

Post edited by EQWashu on
  • EQWashu
    EQWashu Member, Mod Posts: 5,013

Stepping in here for a moment to remind everyone to please keep the discussions in here civil and respectful. Thank you.

• Paternalpark

The topic discussed is about Nvidia filters making scratch marks even brighter than b4.

What's more annoying than intermittent scratch marks are the bugged fast vault notifications.

Best this thread is closed as my main point is being ignored.

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,892

Filters WILL be meta???

• joeyspeehole
    joeyspeehole Member Posts: 73

I think this is about the new Dracula killer and has nothing to do with color blindness. It's just like how they nerfed Spine Chill before releasing the Xenomorph.

• deckyr
    deckyr Member Posts: 795
    edited August 8

having more vibrant scratch marks means you can turn your filters down and still see them. like, this will lead to a decrease in filters, not an increase.

also, what other people do with their screens is not bhvr's concern, and is completely unenforceable. filters are a basic feature of nvidia geforce experience, which is a basic feature of owning an nvidia graphics card.

just like with crosshairs, all you can do is ask bhvr to inplement filters as a vanilla feature of the game. because at least then the playing field is level for all.

• Paternalpark

A decrease? No, users are used to the filters by now and will only notice scratch marks easier from this.

Your argument could be made towards stretch rez.

Ohh it's hard to track where the killer is, so I need strrtch rez to see easier around loops and track.

Stretch rez is a basic feature of any pc regardless of gpu.

• Paternalpark

So..nothing wrong with this? This is pre buff I think.

Makes sense a Billy is using this as he could take advantage of survivors thinking they are safe to run, meanwhile he sees your scratch marks from across the map.

Blight and nurse will also do very well using this.

• Toaster427
    Toaster427 Member Posts: 120
    edited August 13

It wasn't by design to place giant neon signs all over the map pointing to every survivors location. It's also not by design to sneak everywhere to avoid this, as one of the most sensitive and major balancing mechanics in the game is how fast gens go, and if survivors walk the entire match they will lose 100% of the time, especially since the massive buff killers got a while back that increased gen repair times.

Stratch marks should be subtle hints at where a survivor went or has been, I shouldnt be able to stop in the middle of a map and 360 seeing scratch marks across the map which tells me exactly where every survivor is at all times. Which is what this change does.

this is an unbalanced change and to say "that's not by design" is an excuse when the game HAS been designed like this for nearly a decade now and things have been balanced around it.

• VantablackPharaoh91

I honestly couldn't have said it better myself.

If you wanna be a stealthy Surv, you need to not run around everywhere. The Devs have stopped listening to people whining for more get out of jail free, handholding, "save my bacon for me" mechanics for either side. You need to actually learn how to play stealth if you want to play stealth, OP.

Nope, nothing wrong with that as the Devs have stated filters are considered a-okay. If someone wants their game to have that filter, they are allowed. That's intended. It's Dev approved. The game allows it, it isn't considered cheating, and it's not bannable. You can't punish people for say, being colorblind, which those filters are meant to address. You also can't punish people for wanting to have a competitive advantage in a game as long as every other aspect of their play is fair.

Well, the Devs are adding it in, so obviously is is 100% by design. Because the Devs are adding it in, as a fix to a known glitch that has existed for months, because Killers are intended to and designed to be able to see and track scratch marks. You are allowed to be annoyed at this change, but that doesn't make it "not by design" when the Devs have come in, kindly pointed out WHY they are doing it and why it therefore IS by design, but you still disagree. There are perks to help if you're not happy with this change, I suggest you consider running them if this is that big of a problem for you.

Survivors are designed to be chased, not hide because Killers cannot find them. The Devs are pushing for more chase, which is what everyone says they want. Why are people so upset that hiding becomes harder when everyone says they would rather chase/be chased? Surely since this means more chase we should all be happy?

• VantablackPharaoh91
    edited August 13

I somehow missed this, but no, stretched rez was NOT intended by the developers and NOT part of the game. Stretched rez unfairly messed with aspect ratio of the game and was not planned for in regards to any character. Stretched rez could only be abused by one side to create situations a Killer could not play around, unlike scratch marks and knowing you leave them which you CAN play around.

Scratch marks being brighter to fit the now brighter maps is not an exploit. Stretched rez was. They don't even remotely compare.

• Neaxolotl
    Neaxolotl Member Posts: 1,477

Do you even know filters only works on a game that developers made compatible with, this is pretty much intended from that perspective

• WalanAke
    WalanAke Member Posts: 10

If you're running, then you're not hiding, that's the point of the scratch marks. Want to hide and be stealthy all game, doing next to nothing for your team? Distortion, Lightweight, Calm Spirit. Have fun hiding in your corner.

• Toaster427
    Toaster427 Member Posts: 120

You're cherry picking what the community is asking for and applying it out of context.

The community is asking for chases in terms of killer powers, I.E killers that have an EZ "I win" button they can press that completely shuts down a loop, which is beyond annoying and kills chases in the game, people want less of that.

Nobody is asking for killers to easily find survivors whenever they want, just like nobody is asking for for something like permanent auras being shown to the killer to "promote chase", that's just ridiculous.

You should listening to the people who are actually asking for things instead of just using it to missquote people for your own agenda.

• Paternalpark

So the red blood stain from the killer is practically none existent these days due to maps being brighter, as was stated.

Can we make the red stain brighter so the survivor role has the equivalent buff?

Scratch marks tracks survivors, red blood stain tracks killers.

I

This has been the most constructive comment so far, thanks.

• VantablackPharaoh91
    edited August 14

Survivors do not need to track the Killer the same way that Killers need to track Survivors, so the Red Stain doesn't need to be brighter at all. In fact I don't think most people have any issue with ever noticing the Red Stain; if it becomes an issue the Devs can always change it but it currently seems to be bright enough in most maps. We also have many tools to read where Killers are besides the Red Stain, even stealth Killers. Brightening it wouldn't do anything concrete. Meanwhile in almost every map, scratch marks are kinda hard to see and definitely not as bright as the Red Stain itself is, so yes. They need to be changed, but the Red Stain doesn't right now. Not every change for one side needs an equivalent buff for the other.

Also I think you misconstrued what CoffeeCrashing was saying. They weren't saying that it was a bad thing that the old Scratch Marks stuck out on the original maps, they're saying that was a GOOD thing. The initial reason they were not made brighter sooner is BECAUSE those maps were washed out so they didn't need to. Now that every map is much brighter due to the updated graphics, the Devs are changing the scratch marks to match. Scratch marks are SUPPOSED to be bright, obvious, and easy to track. And since perks like Iron Will recently got buffed, Killers kind of need something to be able to track if they can't track by sound, right? As Survivor you don't wanna just hide and do gens, you love being chased, right? At least I do when I am Survivor.

Killer is not supposed to be frustratingly difficult because of unintended glitches or outdated mechanics any more than Survivor is. I wish you understood that, because It seems from your post history you don't play a lot of Killer. Now, I don't want to assume you're only a Survivor Main, but you sure seem to post some very unbalanced, biased, and unclear takes. I would suggest running Predator for a bit as Killer and then taking it off to see just how bad the scratch marks currently can get, so you can appreciate just why this change is sorely needed.

Post edited by VantablackPharaoh91 on
  • VantablackPharaoh91
    edited August 14

How am I cherry-picking or applying anything out of context? I literally quoted you, the context is right there for all to see. Plus, I am not really saying anything that others here haven't said already, and the fact that people seem to be agreeing with me here and not you seems to indicate that no, I am describing exactly what the community wants. More chase doesn't mean "a different Killer power" as that isn't even on the table for discussion here; "more chase" means "more chase" means "getting to chases quicker" which is what the Devs have been steadily doing for months now - giving us ways to get to chase faster, because chase is chase and chases are fun.

Now, IDK how much Killer you play, but only three Killers actually have an "EZ I win" button: Nurse, Blight, and Billy who is getting changes according to the roadmap. And all of them still have counterplay. Everyone else in the roster requires being better at mindgames than Survivor or knowing how to actually apply their power. Even Artist whose power is entirely about shutting down loops requires actual skill and effort to do that properly. I have no agenda, but when you say things like "Killers with an EZ I Win button", you show that YOU certainly do have one - making the game harder for Killers for no reason so it's easier for Survivors to escape. I don't see how just slightly making scratch marks a little brighter suddenly makes it so much harder for you to escape, if you're any good at Survivor this really shouldn't matter at all. In fact you should be welcoming it so you have more chances to express your skill, it's nonsense to be against it in that sense.

You can disagree all you want with what I have said here, but the Devs have come in and stated why this change is happening. They clearly agree with everyone here saying the change is fine, so therefore the change is fine and just something else you'll have to get used to by maybe running different perks or changing your playstyle. I'm not even sure why you're after me. Is it because I quoted you? Is it because I have a Killer profile picture? If I had say, Leon Kennedy as my profile picture would you read my comments more favorably? Do you think I play zero Survivor?

The point is, if you want to be stealthy play stealthy. That means not leaving scratch marks. Killer players are allowed to have things in the game that are anti-frustration features too, and since we just got an Iron Will buff we kinda need something to compensate for the loss of that tracking info especially because we have a new Killer that works like Spirit in part and needs that info. Why is it okay for Survivors to have all this info, but not Killers?

• Paternalpark

You argue that scratch mark update is qol at first but then state in your first paragraph here that's its a buff.

While I don't think each side needs equivalent buffs every patch, I do think each side should be given qol changes at the same time.

You just said maps are brighter so scratch marks need to be adjusted to accommodate that, so why wouldn't the same be applied to the red stain?

Your argument is not only a nothing burger but clearly shows your happy to use certain logic that doesn't go both ways.

Why do you keep trying to call me out as a survivor main? Your logic isn't sound enough so you have to claim I'm biased?

"Killers do not need to track the survivors the same way that survivors need to track killers, so scratch marks doesn't need to be brighter at all. We also have many tools to read where survivors are besides scratch marks, even Blendettes.Brightening it wouldn't do anything concrete. Not every change for one side needs an equivalent buff for the other."

See what I did there?

• VantablackPharaoh91
    edited August 14

I'm not gonna continue this repeated attempt to bait me into an argument even after the Mods stepped in asking for it to stop, because I can see that this is EXACTLY what is happening here.

The entire thread disagrees with the people saying this change is not needed. Like it or not guys, the scratch mark change is coming. It was much needed, it is a bug fix, it was intended, the Devs stepped in to agree it was intended. Those disagreeing are simply incorrect this is not necessary, but are certainly allowed to feel that way.

Looks like it's time to adapt and change our playstyles! I certainly will be, especially since Distortion is also likely to be nerfed soon. That means I need to get better and change how I play, and everyone else should too. We can all better deal with the coming MUCH NEEDED scratch mark changes that WILL be in the game by simply stealthing more frequently, using lockers, or crouching/walking. If you would also like to hide scratch marks, you can also run:

• Lightweight
    • Lightfooted
    • Babysitter
    • Boon: Shadow Step
    • Dance With Me
    • Deception
    • Distortion (yes even with its changes)
    • Diversion
    • Low Profile
    • Lucky Break
    • Parental Guidance
    • Poised
    • Self-Preservation
    • Teamwork: Collective Stealth

In addition if you want to be more aware of your scratch marks to be stealthy, you can run:

• Fixated
    • Inner Focus

And if you want to be stealthy, you can also run Urban Evasion and aura reading perks to help you avoid the Killer without leaving scratch marks at all by crouching or walking.

As you can see, there are many solutions to this issue, so having brighter scratch marks is a non-issue. Can't wait until they come to the game! Great change, Devs, it was much needed. :)

This discussion has been closed.