The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Tunneling is ruining the game for me

Naiki
Naiki Member Posts: 4
edited August 16 in General Discussions

Hi, so I don't really tend to speak on the forums but I feel like this issue is getting out of hand. I've been playing dbd for a while now and even though I'm not the best player by far I've always been able to play and enjoy the game both on my own and playing with my friends but recently I haven't been able to play without being tunneled out of the game. By tunneling I mean being the first person to go down and hooked and then getting chased straight off the hook until I'm out of the game, no matter how many teammates try and stop it the killer doesn't seem to care and just wants me.

Last time I tried to play with my friends I got tunneled 4 games in a row and I just stopped playing because I wasn't having fun. Even if I'm not the one being tunneled I see a teammate in the same situation at least once or twice every couple of games (think about 1/2 times out of 7/8 games).

Again I know that I'm not the best at the game and I could get better at running the killer around but I shouldn't have to become the best at the game or play at a competitive level to just have fun, to just play the game I paid for. I don't have a solution for it but if anyone can think of something to stop it it would be great, I really like playing dbd but if this keeps up I don't think I want to go back to it :(

Comments

• Neaxolotl
    Neaxolotl Member Posts: 1,477

Tunneling is ruining many games to many peoples and developers are considering those feature as thematic element that is mandatory for the game

• Toystory3Monkey
    Toystory3Monkey Member Posts: 450

sounds like a good reason to consider running anti tunnelling perks and getting better at chase alongside realizing that if the killer tunnels you, you dont have to save map resources as killer's wincon directly depends on how fast they can kill you.

• GladSkull
    GladSkull Member Posts: 12

This is probably the best advice I gave myself.

I have no idea how you play so I'm just saying the same advice I give anyone that has this problem at all because I can't watch my friends all the time either.

But instead of trying to get good at losing/juking the killer just try and not get in chase with him period. ESPECIALLY if you're a generator person or anything but a chase taker!

The jukes and losing the killer will come naturally over time I promise. I've been playing the game since before Leatherface I believe (sorry for lack of specifics) with a long break at one point. And I just now am starting to feel confidentially good at the game. That's not to say it will take you that long or anything but I do feel Dead By Daylight is a game that honestly just watching how the killer plays or even YouTube is extremely helpful.

I also highly recommend not only playing one role. Playing killer and survivor are probably some of the best ways to learn how they both think. You learn where you would look as a killer which also tells you where to hide as survivor and vice versa.

I hope any of this is helpful and I promise I am not trying to talk down and none of the "!" Are me trying to yell or anything just trying to be encouraging! Good luck! See you in The Fog!

• RpTheHotrod
    RpTheHotrod Member Posts: 1,821
    edited August 16

Tunneling unfortunately is part of the game, but I do caution a few things:

1. Sometimes what you perceive is tunneling isn't tunneling. If you just got unhooked, and then someone else gets hooked, you're "fair game".
    2. If you just got unhooked and start working on a gen, bodyblocking, flashlighting, doing saves, or are doing totems, generally doing anything BUT leaving the area to get healed up and reset, you're fair game.

If neither 1 or 2 is happening, that sucks, but is part of the game. When I play killer, I try to give people who recently got unhooked a chance and won't go after them unless 1 or 2 happens. However, not all killers are as "nice".

• VantablackPharaoh91
    VantablackPharaoh91 Member Posts: 584

Your playstyle is valid! :) I was a gen jockey for a while and I slowly adapted my stealthier Survivor style into a much more altruistic version where I try to save the team's bacon and progress stuff while also not getting into too much chase. Not because I don't like chase, but because I prefer to see results and grind BP. Long chases bore me after a while, actually and I want the chance to do more than get chased a lot.

Best of luck, hope the suggestions from people here have helped you. Try not to sweat it too hard.

• Kees_T
    Kees_T Member Posts: 811
    edited August 17

DBD is a PVP game, its not balanced to favor 4 escapes, for me it looks like you're thinking the game should always end with a happy rainbow where 4 Survivors hold hands together and escape. I know escaping feels great, but this is a team game.

Instead of being fixed in the "I need to escape", maybe you should change your mindset while playing to "prioritize maximum contribution to the match". So even if you died in the match but it allowed other people to escape or to complete other generators, it's still a win for you! Maybe not personally, but for the team.

Being chased(and playing Killer) is the only way you can improve your gameplay to be able to extend chases and give your teammates more time. Every second in chase counts! Don't be sad because you were downed within 15 seconds, the more you try, the more you will improve for sure. Equip some good perks and keep trying.

You're also rewarded "Killer Diversion" points in the emblem for the time you're being chased and you teammates are doing generators, and it's very gratificating to check your emblems and see like "46% Killer Diversion", which means 46% of the total 5 generators(2 generators and 1/3 of another one) were done JUST because you managed to run the Killer around for that time. This is not so realistic because good Killers won't chase you for that long and will drop, but against the majority that likes to tunnel, your gameplay will be impactful and you'll feel rewarded.

As Survivor, this is basically the path to learning: dying a lot in chases and playing Killer to know how to properly play against them, so don't just focus playing Survivor otherwise you'll never get better. It's good to take turns between playing both roles, so If you're tired of playing Survivor, play some Killer and vice-versa, and if you're very very tired of both roles, just take a break for the day.

And if you can't handle DBD as it is, you should focus on playing other games for your mental health and fun. Playing Killer is generally better because even if you get toxic Survivors, the match is still under your control and you can't be removed from the match.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,580
    edited August 18

On my last few games as survivor, me or my teammates have been tunneled only a fraction of the time and only once from the start. Not exactly a problem, either the killer was bad and we pushed the gens, either he was good and we went to the next game.

On my games as killer I've been accused of tunneling many times.

That includes:

• When I was getting survivor in a round robin, finishing them all on death hook together at the end.
    • When a survivor was body blocking out of the hook.

Obviously, they also complained when I started to actual tunnel with 1 or 2 gens left "at the start of the game" because they did the gens in parallel (and sometimes you are unlucky finding survivors and when you finally get one who didn't hide early, it's a bit too late to do anything else than that or give up).

I'll consider tunneling being too strong when survivors won't be able to do gens in parallel anymore and kicked gens will be blocked until they finish another.

• VantablackPharaoh91

This is the case. This i what saved me and helped me enjoy Survivor. I play Survivor to be with my friends and do challenges or try to earn BP via pipping.

Listen to this person. It saved DBD as Survivor for me.

• VantablackPharaoh91

This is the case. This i what saved me and helped me enjoy Survivor. I play Survivor to be with my friends and do challenges or try to earn BP via pipping.

Listen to this person. It saved DBD as Survivor for me.

• VantablackPharaoh91

I don't think that will happen. This game gets new Survs all the time and the old guard seem to show no actual signs of slowing.

BHVR needed to buff Killers infvidually period, but I wouldn't say much has changed in terms of killer getting IVERALL buffs. They don't seem to get those much at all actually, it's a recent development that they do now.

By the way I am still playing Survivor and will keep doing so because I DON'T want Surv to be too easy and I generally agree with the changes that have happened (and have yes, buffed Killers). The era of just throwing on perks and winning as Surv is over.

• doobiedo
    doobiedo Member Posts: 149

We'll see....

Now its the killler role you can just throw a couple perks on and win almost of the time. The tables have turned. I personally think the game should be more balanced rather than just saying well one side used to be op so its okay that now the other side is. I actually had to stop playing killer because it has become so easy. If i want a power fantasy like that I'll just play doom eternal or some other single player game.

• GladSkull

I'm not dictating anything I'm going off of what the game penalties etc have taught me. You literally get -bloodpoints for camping or short chases, at least you used to. I'm literally saying you are bad at being killer if you have to go for the same recovering person over and over. If you have to only go for someone when they are disadvantaged you're bad in my opinion, and that's pretty unanimously agreed upon in anything competetive, be it a game or not.

I should've added "in my opinion" in my previous post, I just assumed it was well known I was posting opinions and not the law of the world on a forum about a game.

• GladSkull

HIGHLY recommend Distortion from Jeff's kit. It helps a TON with not getting found by aura reading perks. It sounds like you're getting hit with Lethal Pursuit a lot and that's brutal as heck.

My go to not getting caught perk set up right now

Iron Will

Distortion

Lightweight

Urban Evasion

But Distortion alone is a monster for stealthing.

• 09SHARKBOSS
    09SHARKBOSS Member Posts: 1,270

you are both right and wrong about that

our buddy should try getting better at the game and improving their skills but i believe others can ruin the game for people

example: i dont tunnel or slug and i send the survivors "gg wp" at the end of every game no matter if i stomp or get stomped.

example in the other direction: a killer that does tunnel and slug (or hack) would make the game less fun for their enemies because it gives them little to no chance of winning unless they are god tier players or dont care about their teammates so they dont go for them anyways

try thinking about it from multiple perspectives to see their point as well as your own

• 09SHARKBOSS
    09SHARKBOSS Member Posts: 1,270

hope you get better games buddy and keep practicing for me so if we ever play against each other we can both have more fun

• I_CAME
    I_CAME Member Posts: 1,231

OTR doesn't really do anything if the killer really wants to tunnel you. I only get tunneled once in a blue moon but OTR doesn't really do much when I do. A determined tunneler will just hit you immediately off the hook and render your OTR useless. I had a nurse do this to me the other day. They just waited near the hook and blinked on top of me as soon as I got unhooked each time. Might be more of a nurse problem than anything else but it's still a bit ridiculous.

• Doxie
    Doxie Member Posts: 116

When you realize, this game is for killers, the forums are really for killers and this forum does nothing , things make sense. Basically just accept it or move into another game. The only real improvement they've done is 2v8. It was a great start and I hope they Improve on their first run. I was finally having fun without dealing with what they have done..... Or.… You can join/develop a SWF team which seems the only way to play survivor these days. Nuff Said

• VantablackPharaoh91
    edited August 22

Honestly? Wasn't that just how Survivor was, too before the 6.1 patch? Then, you could just throw a couple perks on, SWF up, and win almost all the time. And honestly, unless you're running the toppest of tier Killers, even that is questionable still against a good enough team for anyone who is under A tier. And it's not the first time Surv felt easy to me - I had to stop playing Survivor during old MFT era because it really was as simple as at least one person in a SWF throwing that perk on. This is because, you see, the majority of players don't all play Nurse, Blight, Spirit, and Wesker, they play Killers that might be weaker but are fun.

Did we literally not just have a massive influx of people because of 2v8 and back to back licensed Chapters? I promise you - there will ALWAYS be more Survivors. There is no "we'll see" because there will literally ALWAYS be more. Unlike with Killer, where if you make the game feel bad for everyone but high skill super strong Killers, people will not play. That's exactly what happened before 6.1. That's what started to happen again during MFT meta.

Meanwhile currently most people I know still are relatively OK with Survivor. Only the most jaded of SoloQ people are DCing, often before they know if the game is even salvagable or won… and often before the game ever properly gets started, so just like with no bot DCs before, we're all disadvantaged and the Killer gets an unfairly easy game. Because one person is sad they can't… what, easily run the Killer forever while we slam gens anymore and they have to actually try? Killers had to adapt to frustrating perks that were easy wins on the other side for years, isn't it time for Survivors to do so now? Why are only Killers asked to improve… ever?

And on Killer, I am getting accused of tunnelling more than ever despite not tunnelling at ALL. I recently during Chaos Shuffle got accused of tunnelling for… happening to proc Legion's Frenzy hits on someone who just got off hook. That I wasn't even trying to hit. I wanted the Frenzy hits so I procced it, hit the unhooked person when I was trying to aim for the unhooker, then hit the unhooker and - get this - LEFT to hit other people and chain the Frenzy like you're intended to. So nobody got tunnelled. I 4ked that round and the Jane laid into me for tunnelling because I had found her first previously and kept seeing her due to her bright pants, despite looking for others across half the map. All this on top of the fact the game decided to give me a chase perk heavy build, so what was I intended to do? Not chase with it?

The ill will and us vs. them between Killers and Survivors is currently so high, that Survivors are accusing KIllers of sweating for playing normally in the fun modes. Go figure. Maybe BHVR is trying to tell EVERYONE not to take things so seriously? It's just a game. It's literally just a game.

Post edited by VantablackPharaoh91 on
  • EvilBarney666
    EvilBarney666 Member Posts: 334

For me, the way I have the most fun regardless of side I am on... is I don't care about a win or a loss. I just do what I can. However the other side wants to play that's on them.

I play the match. I lose, I lose. I win, I win. You can't control how others play. Just roll with it. Sure, it sucks to be tunneled or face a bully squad. At the end of the day... it's just a game.

That's how I do it. It may help, it may not. Good luck out there. :)

• VantablackPharaoh91

It's 100% a high mobility Killer problem. If I try to do that as Ghostface and the Surv is a halfway decent looper, I just lost two gens. Easily.

• GladSkull

Tunneling isn't a strategy for those that are good at the game and actually care about how much fun everyone is having. It is okay to lose, it's just a game. And the game has things built in rewards included that go directly against tunneling.

Sorry not sorry if the shoe fits but it just is trash and ruins the game for everyone yourself included, unless it's the only way you can win I guess.

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,408

Name calling in general is a little childish and people should refrain from doing so.

That said, just because you 'can' doesn't mean you 'should.'

"Tunneling isn't a strategy for those that are good at the game and actually care about how much fun everyone is having."

This can ring as true as it is, but someone will always just say "…intended strategy" and try to justify it.

And you can! Tunneling is totally justifiable. Its just a MAJOR turn off to more players than its not, and BHVR is the only one who stands to lose anything about it.

So imo, BHVR will continue to implement ways to deter/avoid tunneling events. And if this IS the case, as it has been for a bit now, I would ask why players continue to say its good and all that, when the devs are actively trying to quash it.

Honestly, I feel they aren't hard hitting tunneling as an issue because a large portion of killers would vacate the game.

• Neaxolotl
    Neaxolotl Member Posts: 1,477

Fun is obviously subjective, and thinking ALL survivors are having fun in playing against those who intentionally hindering themselves is quite strange

This is a PvP game and people will have fun in doing their best, simple as that

• Naiki
    Naiki Member Posts: 4

I would just like to say that I understand that tunneling is a strategy to win the game but I feel like something should be done about tunneling since the start of the game(5 gens remaining). People can say you can "make your own fun" all they want but if I can't actually play the game for more than 5 minutes because of a killer tunneling since the start then I can't really do much else to have fun, some days it feels like I'm waiting 10 minutes to load into a 5 minute game and then wait again.

I don't see anything wrong with tunneling when a couple gens have been done and you don't have a kill yet, I get it, but trying to kill someone as soon as you can do you can play the game on "easy mode" isn't something that should be encouraged. It's a game at the end of the day, I know as a survivor that I won't scape every game but I feel like most killers can't accept that they won't get a 4k every game either.

Again I appreciate everyone's response(even if some of them don't seem to understand what I was explaining on my first post and trying to tell me that I wasn't actually being tunneled when I gave a description of what I was experiencing) I will keep playing and I'm just hoping that BHVR can implement something to stop killers from tunneling so much, wishing everyone the best of luck in the fog <3

• NarkoTri1er
    NarkoTri1er Member Posts: 251

being tunneled seems like so much frustrating experience, but after you learn all practical things about chase, it becomes…actually a fun experience to watch killer desperately trying to tunnel you. But honestly, look at every tunneling experience as a chance to learn, because unless you are playing tons of 1v1s, you won't be able to improve your chase skills as much as you do through getting tunneled in pubs.

• GladSkull

No I shouldn't have said "trash" I agree and apologize. Absolutely agree it's not good to call names or respectful or mature, I'm sorry.

And it doesn't hinder me in the slightest not to tunnel, in fact when I have in the past my games are 100% worse than games that I don't tunnel in. Could be a play style thing for sure but the game does also have specific rewards, tips, etc that are all anti tunneling. So it's obviously not the intended play style.

All of that and it not being fun for the survivors or honestly the killers. I'd just have to say it seems like a not intended, toxic way to play. And most people I come across that play that way are toxic or children (literally children) so that doesn't give me the best impression of it.

• appleas
    appleas Member Posts: 1,122
    edited September 2

Saying you were tunneled for 4 games doesn't give much context, a lot of tunneling complaints would be able to be verified if a replay system actually existed unless you recorded your games OP.

I say that because while you may have done nothing to provoke the tunneling, your teammates might have done something to annoy the Killer and you just became the target.

I'm sorry to hear you didn't have a good experience though.

• MrMori
    MrMori Member Posts: 1,427
    edited September 2

Do you have any idea why they're going for you specifically? If you're on Steam, you can either hide hours player or even game info as a whole from your profile settings. That way the killer can't know how many hours you have an tunnel you out based on that. If you have any, try putting on some cosmetics so you don't look brand new. That might deter people looking for the weakest link. They may still just know you're newer than them based on how you loop/run away in-game, but it's worth a shot.

I get that being tunneled is very painful if you're a newer player. It's very hard to deal with if you don't have the right perks, and obviously it sucks if the killer is more experienced than you too so the chases are short. It's kind of lame that survivors are so incredibly perk reliant to deal with tunneling but it is is what it is. If you really want to make it punishing for the killer to tunnel you, try these perks:

• Decisive Strike from Laurie (Halloween Chapter). This one is licensed so you need to pay real money for it, but it is also the best anti tunnel perk in the game. Without this perk, the killer can pretty much just hit you off hook to ignore your endurance perks, then down and hook you again, which sucks, but with this perk, they'll get stunned for 4 seconds after picking you up, giving you even more time to run away.
    • Off the Record from Zarina. You can get this one by getting Zarina with 4500 shards and getting her to Prestige 1. This is a great anti tunnel perk, since it not only gives you 80 seconds of Endurance, but also hides your aura, grunts of pain and makes you silent, making it harder for the killer to find you again if they lose you
    • Dead Hard from David, he's a free character so you just have to get him to P1 to get the perk. It's a hard perk to use, but it is incredibly strong once you get used to it. It might be too advanced if you're new, but definitely run if for a while and see if you like it.
    • Windows of Opportunity from Kate. She also costs 4500 shards. With this perk you can see windows and pallets all over the map, making it easier to run towards safer areas with more resources instead of running into a deadzone and getting downed really fast.

It's kind of sad that it's so hard to get a decent anti tunnel build for new players, honestly. But don't be discouraged. The more chases you take, the better and more comfortable you'll get in chase.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,062

That's matchmaking for you. Puts you against the exact people you shouldn't be matched with. Nothing will change until it's fixed.

• Ifocusonyou
    Ifocusonyou Member Posts: 2

I agree with the subject: tunnel ruins the game for ALL.

I don't play killer much, but I NEVER tunnel or camp, and i don't stay too close to the hook. I win almost all the time because the game has become so easy in killer.

That's why I prefer to play survivor, it's much more stressful. I find that killers who do that, don't know how to play differently, or just want to ruin the game for others or are too lazy to run after survivors. I agree with the subject: tunnel ruins the game for ALL.